2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
71 members (brennbaer, Bellyman, Barly, 1957, btcomm, Animisha, bobrunyan, 14 invisible), 1,975 guests, and 346 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
I sometimes see people here mention taking a book of sheet music to a copy shop and having it made into a ring-bound book. I have a book that will not lie flat (and I want to use it more as a reference) so I'm thinking of doing this.

Is there anything I should? Pitfalls to avoid? Any reason *not* to do this?

How do they do it? Do they use the pages in the book or does it have to be copied? And if so, does that destroy the book?

Is there something I should be asking that I don't know to ask? whome

thanks in advance!!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Hi
I have done this: they do not copy the book. They remove the spine and replace it with spiral-binding. The only thing that is changed is the way the volume was originally bound.

J
Online Embarrased
J
I've had several music books spiral-bound. They just cut off the spine, punch holes in the original pages, and thread in the wire. The only issue you might have is if there isn't enough blank space between the spine and the print. I did have one book where the hole punches just barely cut into the edge of the music; it wasn't enough to make it difficult to read, but it didn't look as nice as the other books.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I want to do this... DIY way... 😆

Maybe buy a pack of hole punches, 3D print and holder for each in the correct spots? Buy a pack of spiral things?

99% sure it will work

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by probably blue
I want to do this... DIY way... 😆

Maybe buy a pack of hole punches, 3D print and holder for each in the correct spots? Buy a pack of spiral things?

99% sure it will work

A printing company will do it for about $4.00. Otherwise, you will need equipment that will punch the holes in the correct places. I would not attempt it without this.

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the responses so far!

Re DIYing it, I wouldn't try it myself either. What would you use to cut the binding off? I would think that step is probably the most important one.

The book I have is just over 200 pages, so I would guess you'd need a really good cutter to cut the binding off.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
Search on Amazon for spiral binding machine. A former workplace had one. They are not that expensive, but not worth it unless you want to print out all of imslp...

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
J
Online Embarrased
J
Originally Posted by dogperson
A printing company will do it for about $4.00. .

I wish it was only $4 here...I have to pay $7-8. That adds up quick...otherwise I'd do this to about 15 books on my shelf right now.

Last edited by JB_PW; 05/16/22 04:27 PM.
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by JB_PW
Originally Posted by dogperson
A printing company will do it for about $4.00. .

I wish it was only $4 here...I have to pay $7-8. That adds up quick...otherwise I'd do this to about 15 books on my shelf right now.

Office Depot or Office Max? It was about four years ago, so perhaps the price has increased.

J
Online Embarrased
J
Office Depot/Office Max merged I believe? Price is the same both there and at FedEx Office. It hasn't changed here in the last 3-4 years though.

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
I just called an independent copy shop in my town and they said they could do it for $1 for cutting and then between $4-$10 depending on what type of binding I want. That's a pretty big range (but way less than what they quoted at first, which included them copying the entire 200-page book, yikes)

JB, the other thing is, maybe invest in a machine like Sam mentioned? It might end up being less that way?

Anyway, thanks to everyone who's commented in this thread so far!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I ended up buying the equipment [used on amazon] to do it myself. I have converted loads of music books and man, am I glad I did. Otherwise the books are never used.

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Pianoperformance8, does the machine both cut the binding off and make the holes?

Could you recommend the kind of machine you bought? (I checked Amazon and wasn't really sure what I was looking at).

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
i have the office place do this - i tried some comb binding myself, but prefer the wire binding like a regular spiral notebook.

There's always time to learn something new.
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
It depends on how many books you expect to process, and how thick.
Expect $300-400 of initial investment for a quality tools that will cover almost all your needs
II would say that this is reasonable investment if you expect to make at least 50 books (including your own prints) during next, say, 10 years. Otherwise it is better to use your local store (Staples, FedEx Kinkos, or whatever there is in your area).

Here is what I use:
1. HFS 17" Blade A3 Heavy Duty Guillotine Paper Cutter, it can cut regular paper stack up to 1.5" thick.

2. TruBind 4:1 coil binding machine TB-S20AB

3. Coils (4:1 pitch) of various diameter.

4. Various plastic letter size covers (transparent, black and colored) for my own prints. I also use hardcover binding covers occasionally, usually for thick prints.

Please note that the cutter preferrably have to be able to cut the binder from the whole book at once. It is also possible to cut off the binding in few smaller chunks if you split the book with utility knife first - this is easy if the book uses perfect binding.

The binding machine and coils should be compatible - 4:1 pitch is most popular, but there are other standards as well.

Last edited by VladK; 05/17/22 04:13 PM.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I bought a paper trimmer to trim. AmazonBasics does a great one for little lolly.

Fellowes Binding-Machine Quasar 5227201

It’s a bit of an investment, but I have done so many of my music books it is worth it. I bought a used one and it was fine.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Good points Vlad.
I kinda tear the pages from the waxed bind, carefully, then trim before using the binding machine.

I should add you should practice on the binding machine with non music scores to get the hang of the hole punching!

Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
I have had several books spiral bound. The place where I had it done (Office Max) highly recommended the plastic-coated wire spiral binding rather than the plastic comb binding. They said the comb bindings didn't hold up as well as the spiral binding. So I had them do the spiral binding and have been happy with the results.

Your 200-page (about an inch thick?) book might be a challenge for binding.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
Stub is, good point re thickness! I found a place that can do it so when I go in I will ask about that. Maybe I should have them do it in two. Not sure.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
8000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
8000 Post Club Member
I ended up getting the plastic coated spiral binding, just picked it up today. $5.

It looks great and will soooo much easier to use this way! I don't know if I'd make enough to justify purchasing something to do it myself, but I can see doing a lot more books like this.

Thanks everyone for all the comments!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission