2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
47 members (APianistHasNoName, Bruce Sato, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, AlkansBookcase, Carey, CharlesXX, 9 invisible), 1,871 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
3000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
3000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the General Discussion Room for the AB Forum Quarterly Recital #66!

Please use this room for any discussion of the pieces in Recital #66 that is taking place in the Main Recital Thread..

Discussions and replies can be posted at any time. Please note that there are 4 levels of comments that can be requested:
- No Comments Please!
- Polite Comments only: no suggestions for improvement please.
- General Comments only: Polite, supportive, suggestions for improvement.
- Critical Comments: Anything goes!

Please respect the wishes of the performers and make appropriate comments. Requesting a comment does not guarantee that you will get one. Anyone can make comments, so feel free to listen and let the performers know that you listened.

Thank you!

For those who wish to comment, a copy and paste template for offering feedback can be found here:

Recital 66 Response Template

Please use this thread only to discuss recital performances. If you have any comments or suggestions about ways to make the recital process better, please start a separate thread.

Enjoy the music!

Sam

B
B
No one has poisted yet!!?!? Am I the first?

Well I will start out then. Maybe I am always swayed a bit more by the ones that have videos. That is why I started putting video links to my submisssion (modest as they are).

I was blown away by the entry

03. Sam S - Idyll

This is fantastic music making. But more than that, the video is an invitation to a place I want to be! A music room where a couple is enjoying their retirement with music together!
And multi-camera too! But beyond that, the music is wonderful. Thank you.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Earlier this week I saw that someone was going to play my favorite piece so I was really looking forward to this day!

14. Facdo - Elegie op. 3 nr. 1 (Rachmaninoff)

Yes! That was so beautiful, I was crying. You played it in a very sensitive way and brought out the intense feelings in this piece. Well done!!

"I have never tried that before, so I think I should definitely be able to do that." Pippi Longstocking
P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
03 Sam and Tootles – Idyll This is so fantastic! A professional recording in every way, audio and video. The reverb is perfect, so is the rendition. Congratulations. Oh, I forgot, I really like the piece. I listened to your recording of the Elegie by Carl Baermann as well. Now I know how that piece is meant and what it sounds like with accompaniment. The piece is in Baermann’s “Klarinettenschule”, and I had to play it as a teenager in my clarinet lessons, but without any piano accompaniment I never understood the piece. Thanks for playing it.

09 PianoGrlNW (Ellen) – Scarlatti Sonata K380 I did not know Horowitz played it, but this is one of Tiffany Poon’s favourite pieces. I knew it from her, not from Horowitz. A cortege, maybe, but for a wedding, rather, not for a funeral. The music sounds too happy.

15 Serge88 – Ballade pour Adeline Wonderful! I like the Pianoteq sound you chose. Needless to say that you are struggling with the arpeggios and embellishing figures. Have you ever played the Consolation #4 by Liszt the score of which serves as a background of the video?

17 Ido – Chopin, Waltz 70/3 What a beautiful piece, indeed! This one, I did not know before. Thanks for introducing.

27 Marklings – Chopin Waltz 64/2 Beautiful! This belongs to the very famous pieces by Chopin, and it is my favourite Chopin waltz. I am playing it as well, and I find your rendition close to perfect. The Noire sound suits this kind of music in a perfect manner. Should it be played faster? Not to my mind. An easy piece? Who says so? That guy must be crazy…

30 Swede – Von fremden Ländern und Menschen
This was a pleasure to listen to. Your recording sounds like an acoustic upright, I would have expected a different sound from an Avantgrand digital. I would not say you have technical faults, or if so, everybody has. It would just be even nicer to get the accompaniment softer than it already is, but that depends not only on the pianist but to an equal part on the possibilities the instrument offers. Adding some more reverb might make the recording even more charming.

32 Aprajag – Beethoven Pathétique, 1st Mvmt This is absolutely impressive what you achieve after only 1.5 years! Congratulations! And you played everything by heart. Awesome!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
1 Calavera

Well! I'll break a trend and start at the beginning. And we have a peaceful start to the proceedings. hang on, it gets stronger .. .more force, going quiet again. Great start, nice phrasing and very pleasing to my ole lug-holes.

2 Marie J

You have a sweet contemplative touch which fits this music so nicely. You've obviously found your nuche.

3 Sam

I guess you have to handle these recitals and still find time to sort out your own.
You and your missus play well together. It sounds lovely; the clarinet is such a great sounding instriment. And you can always buy her a sax if you wanted to branch into other stuff. . . . smile

4 Quentin P

Very well executed. My days of complex stuff are over. But I learned a lot and did a lot here, and you'll do the same I'm sure. It's fun, and this was great. Hows that for technical feedback?

5 briangmoore

You're playing this pretty deliberatley, ensuring you get it right. It sounds right ok, and I enjoyed it.

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
F
F
32. Agrajag - Sonata "Pathetique" Op. 13 - I
I must admit. I am a bit offended. You just took 1,5 years of piano and voila, play the song that often ends 8-9 years of study. This piece alone took me 1 year until I even dared put it up here.

I love alot about your preformance, the base note could really be heard in the tremble-line. Well done. And the speed you manage to obtain, is impressive indeed.

P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
11 Rickster – The Heart of Georgia Boogie Fantastic! Your original boogie put me in a good mood. Where do you locate the heart of Georgia?

14 facdo – Elegie (Rachmaninoff) That was so wonderful in every way! I had the impression you were a professional pianist in that setting and with the outfit you wear. I laughed a bit about Beethoven’s grumpy face while you were playing Rachmaninoff, haha.

T
T
01. Calavera - Forever Rachel

Great start to the recital, very atmospherically played and with good climax and dynamic control. Good control of the rhythm and pulse considering the change in rhythm and occasional running scales. Very enjoyable!

02. MarieJ - Luminous
Very Calmly played according to the musical direction of the work. Perhaps some rhythms here and there could be a little tighter. But overall it is really nice and you are only really limited by the electronic instrument making it harder to get that left hand super soft like how the original composer played it. Well done!

03. Sam S - Idyll

Here we are again with another Clarinet and Piano work! From the piano side, its really well played and sets the mood just right for the Clarinet to ride on. Your ensemble coordination is really good. Perhaps a small nitpick is to perhaps slightly bring out the voice leading of the half notes in the left hand as they form rather consistent whole tone movements that can aid in governing the peaceful/dreamy mood of the piece.

04. QuentinP - WTK1 Fugue 1 C major

Your effort to make the voices clear is definitely showing! I can mostly hear all the voices throughout the work and you are able to bring out the main theme over the rest of the voices in most places. Just the tricky parts where double thirds occur where the inner voice takes the main theme are not brought out as much. Other than that, everything was quite well done and the only critique is that certain lines feel chopped up either due to the touch or potentiality due to the acoustic quality of the room (It sounds rather dry). Nice work!

05. briangmoore - Chanson

Nice interpretation and touch for this. You seem to be enjoying yourself in the piece which is very enjoyable to listen to and watch. I just feel the tempo could be a little con moto (with movement) as most other recordings i have heard seem to have a little more momentum. Perhaps experiment with a little less pedal or "half" pedal? You can rely on a deep singing touch to bring the sostenuto atmosphere you are going for while reducing the amount of blurring in the harmonies. Please do continue posting more, it is a pleasure to hear your performance smile

06. pianist685 (Constantin) - She's a lady
Good voice, good piano mix with this! Funnily enough as a pianist, i have nothing much to critique about the piano part. I would just say as a vocalist myself, i have to compliment your singing, nice blends and tone in some places. A very nice showcase project!

07. stevedoz - Danzas argentinas Op. 2, no 2, Danza de la moza donosa

Good voicing and pedaling for this work! Tasteful use of rubato and shaping in some places with good response to the textural changes. Well done doing this from memory too because this seems really strange with the harmonies. A lot of extended chords.

08. AndresVel - Piano Sonata No. 16 in C major, KV 545

A very tough work! A lot of people underestimate the amount of skill to play this Sonata convincingly with freedom!
Movement 1, Allegro: Very stable playing throughout, your ornaments are not intruding on the overall flow of the piece which is good. And there are very little, if any missed notes. It is very disciplined of you to play this with a very very consistent pulse considering the tendency for a lot of people to play the quaver portions fast then bend the tempo to their whim.
You have certainly picked up the pedagogical value of attempting this work, you should find your scale and fingerwork has improved along with your trills.

Just keep in mind your shoulders and arm relaxation, as you will need to allow your arm weight to rest gently on your fingers to eventually build up comfortable, even speed in your playing. Right now there is visible tension that is transmitting to your fingers that is lending to the speed wall you are experiencing. Deal with these issues and continue improving as you have been and you will be able to play this at a future date at the concert 126-132 BPM.

Movement 2, Andante: Ah this is obviously at tempo haha. Everything is nice and stable and your sense of dynamic and control is definitely coming through. Good response to the harmonic changes too. Two suggestions, firstly, i would personally consider the use of Finger pedal here so you can get the sostenuto character of the cantabile line. Especially since you are not recording in an overly acoustic environment, the piece sounds slightly dry as a result. Secondly, a deeper and more singing touch in the right hand would aid the interpretation. Especially since your Sabel Has a very mellow quality to it, you will be able to get a very nice singing tone out of it with the proper touch.

Movement 3: Once again very stable and good discipline to not play faster in places where its easier. (A lot of people LOVE to play the front fast, the slow down in the alberti B section) Good response once again the to the written dynamics and articulation for this tempo. A nice strong and secure ending. Same comments regarding tempo and stuff as the first movement.

Your patience and meticulousness will pay off in the long run, very good attempt for what is a very big big jump in skill. Look forward to an iteration of a Haydn Sonata of a similar level as you continue to get acclimated to these types of works!

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I'm starting with the singers! A skill I do not have - it's tough enough to play the piano without singing at the same time!

06. pianist685 (Constantin) - She's a lady Very professional recording/arrangement/editing - the whole package. Your singing and playing were great too!

11. Rickster - "Heart of Georgia Boogie" Another great one Rick! Piano sounds really good doing the solo parts too. I think the drum beat adds a lot too. Well done putting all this together. Now share the video link next time!

And the original music:

12. Ted Jones - The Fourth Ace - you had to mention mowing and computers so that was what I heard - it started with the rhythm of a machine, then drifted to grass blowing in the wind, then the tragedy of the forgotten ace. Well done!

20. Snejana - The Ones Out of Place - Haunting and sad.

35. winterflower - daffodils Very beautiful melody tucked away inside. Simple and poignant.

More to come!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
2. MarieJ- Totally beautiful Marie. I have not heard Einaudi's new album but...now I don't need to. ha I like that muted sound, it fits the piece well. Monica would have loved this!!

1. Calavera- Lovely composititon and excellent playing. I really like the main theme, then very dramatic, and then a return to it at the end.

R
R
What I've listened to so far in this recital is incredibly impressive. Fortunately, I have some time to provide some brief comments for this recital. I'll start with the last 12.

25. zsolpyW - Tell him

I agree that the piece is beautiful, and you play with much feeling (and accuracy). It truly sings.

26. KevinM - Sonatina in D Opus 36 No 6 part 1

I don’t see how this is rough in any way. It sounds just about perfect. Great job!

27. Marklings - Waltz Op. 64 n.2 in C sharp minor

Very well done on a challenging piece.

29. kenbakermn - Letter From Home

Beautiful song, nice arrangement, wonderful playing. Bravo!

30. Swede - Von fremden Landern und Menschen op 15

Your flowing play brought out greater emotional depth than most performances of the piece that I’ve listened to.

31. PikaPianist - Rigaudon (From The Holberg Suite)

Wonderful playing all around. You played the inner section with such feeling, and I especially appreciated the contrast between the outer and inner sections.

Playing like this after 1.5 years is a miracle. Not just the precise playing of a difficult piece, but playing with sensitivity and good musical judgment.

33. candela - Nordic Themes Nos 8 and 11

This is beautiful music and you perfectly captured the melancholy spirit of these pieces. Who would’ve thought? Modern classical music that is sophisticated and enjoyable to listen to.

34. Purrblast - October, The Seasons (Op. 37a, No. 10)

Another melancholy piece and another sensitive, well-judged performance.

35. winterflower - daffodils

Although an improvisation, it presents itself as a well thought out composition. Really beautiful.

36. Tyschoco - Bach Invention No.15 in B Minor, BMV 786

What wonderful precision! I really enjoyed your performance.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
3. Sam- Always fun to here you both. Well done. Nice camera work too Sam! smile

4. Quentin- I'd say both voices are clear as a bell! Very nice.

5. Briangmoore- It sounds like you are still working on it but well done!

6. Pianist 685- Wow... THAT was different. Did you do all that in one take?

7. Stgevedo- I greatly enjoyed that! This recital is pretty much the only place I ever hear "different" piano works and this was "different". Very dramatic in parts. I especially loved the really dramatic parts. Just a great piece. That must be fun as heck to play. Really well done!!

8. AndresVel- Wow, the whole sonata after not even two years of study. Bravo! Well played.

9. pianogrlNW- I've always loved listening to this piece and you played it very well. And your grand sounds wonderful.

11. Rickster- Always fun Rick. The drums were a nice addition.

I
Ido Offline
I
At some point the order in my playlist got messed up so some pieces were skipped, I hope to get to them soon.

01. Calavera - Forever Rachel
Beautiful piece and playing!

02. MarieJ - Luminous
Very special piece and you create a unique atmosphire with your playing

03. Sam S - Idyll
Great musical cooperation and the sound is great

04. QuentinP - WTK1 Fugue 1 C major
I'm well familiar with this piece and can tell you you've done and amazing job with it. And the sound is just beautiful

05. briangmoore - Chanson
Very pretty tune and playing!

06. pianist685 (Constantin) - She's a lady
I was pleasantly surprised to hear you sing, I like your voice and also the tune.

07. stevedoz - Danzas argentinas Op. 2, no 2, Danza de la moza donosa
The piece is a bit dissonant to my ears but the interpretation and playing are top notch!

08. AndresVel - Piano Sonata No. 16 in C major, KV 545
Remarkable job, tackling this piece (and all three parts of it!) is a great achievement. I believe it will open up many other pieces for you.

09. PianogrlNW (Ellen) - Sonata in E Major K 380
Oh yes I love Horowitz's version of it, he really sets the bar high for this piece. I believe you've shown a different side of this piece, which is beautiful in its own right!

13. peterws - Summertime Ended
Love it. But you already knew that, didn't you?

15. Serge88 - Ballade pour Adeline
Great performance!

18. lilypad - Nightfall
Great piece and beautiful playing!

20. Snejana - The Ones Out of Place
Some very interesting musical ideas there, it's good to see you composing!

24. Jerzyk19 - Immortal
Great! I like your playing.

28. Rachtoven - Invention No. 8
As someone who recently worked on this piece I can really appreciate your performance. Great work!

29. kenbakermn - Letter From Home
I love it. Thank you for submitting this piece and was very excited to see it on the list. RIP Lyle.

30. Swede - Von fremden Landern und Menschen op 15
Great performance!

34. Purrblast - October, The Seasons (Op. 37a, No. 10)
Very expressive playing, beautiful!

36. Tyschoco - Bach Invention No.15 in B Minor, BMV 786
Very true to the style, great job!

Started playing piano in early 2017. My YouTube channel:
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCNyp3JmDfITneq2uSgyb-5Q/videos
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by Sam S
12. Ted Jones - The Fourth Ace - you had to mention mowing and computers so that was what I heard - it started with the rhythm of a machine, then drifted to grass blowing in the wind, then the tragedy of the forgotten ace. Well done!

Pleased you found something in it Sam. I have actually never used a motor mower in my life, noisy, stinky, dangerous and expensive. I prefer old fashioned handmowers. Very cheap, they cut better, and provide mental relaxation and exercise, especially with tough kikuyu grass.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
13. peterws - Summertime Ended
You underestimate yourself as usual Peter. Your sense of spontaneous phrase, harmony and rhythm is among the most vital I have heard on forums and I always look forward to your contributions. I would like to hear what you could do in a longer, freer improvisation as there is no doubting the force of your idea flow.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
Originally Posted by Peyton
6. Pianist 685- Wow... THAT was different. Did you do all that in one take?
No, not in one take. I played several takes of the various voices and chose and trimmed the best of them, deleted the rest.

Originally Posted by Pianist685
11 Rickster – The Heart of Georgia Boogie Fantastic! Your original boogie put me in a good mood. Where do you locate the heart of Georgia?

Thanks for the kind words, Pianist685! I used "Heart of Georgia" in the title and lyrics, because I live in the central part of the state of Georgia in the US; so, I suppose you could say I'm in the "Heart of Georgia". And, the boogie-woogie always puts me in a good mood as well! smile

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
A
A
Originally Posted by Flygbladet
I must admit. I am a bit offended.

That was never my intention! Everyone is different; comparison really is the thief of joy. Even I have to be careful, as I recognize the talent gap between me and a genuine concert pianist is still astronomical.

Pianist685 and Rachtoven (and Flygbladet), I appreciate your comments. I was genuinely expecting criticism when I first listened to myself. I was even hesitant to post this piece, as I can only discern the errors of my own playing until some more time has passed and I can distance myself from the mindset I have while recording. I guess the saying is true; everyone is their own worst critic.

Now I'm not as eloquent as most of you guys, and my musical vocabulary is still lacking, but I'll try to comment on your pieces in due time. They really are a pleasure to listen to.

F
F
Originally Posted by Agrajag
Originally Posted by Flygbladet
I must admit. I am a bit offended.

That was never my intention!

Oh dear. I know. I said that with love. I mean. 1,5 years and this good. I am jellous but very very impressed.
If you want a break down on my thoughts on phrasings etc. On your preformance I could write something later if I find the time.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member

Ok, seeing this I had to have a look. Now, I will not be as nice as the other posters because I don't believe being nice is the purpose of the recital comments and you asked for critical comments so here you go.

I think you have pretty good musicality and know how you want to play the piece but you have serious technical issues that are going to limit your progress if you press on. For example, the scalar passages are very uneven and you are twisting your elbow and turning your hand sideways, which is a big problem. Another one is how you play the tremolos with your fingers only with no rotation. In general, you seem to be doing too much isolated finger movement and not enough supporting hand and arm movements. Do you have a teacher? Your musical development seems to indicate yes but your technique says no.

I don't want to discourage you. Playing this piece after such as short time is a great achievement and it's good to have dream pieces that motivate us, but I seriously think you're doing yourself a disservice in the long term by playing such an advanced piece. You're just going to ingrain bad technique. You should really try to learn things more appropriate for your level.

That being said I'm really impressed with your musicality. You have a good feel for the piece and are able to convey that. Just make sure you count in the grave section. It's a common problem because everyone has heard this piece played with rubato a million times but you should be able to play it in strict time first.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission