2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
102 members (80k, AJB, 8ude, 36251, anamnesis, Anevsky, Acetach, Adagiette, 15 invisible), 4,930 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
How can you report a person for expressing sympathy for another poster? Please explain that to us.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Please don’t get this thread locked everyone... Estella is just trying to simply get answers to his problem.

S
S
Originally Posted by tre corda
I see we have both been reported.What for? I have just been reading about MrSh4nkly's kindness to Starre about her piano.He always shows kindness to people.I felt I had to defend him in . I know what he experienced.
I am male, not "her piano" smile.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Starre
I see we have both been reported.What for? I have just been reading about MrSh4nkly's kindness to Starre about her piano.He always shows kindness to people.I felt I had to defend him in . I know what he experienced.
I am male, not "her piano" smile.
Hard to tell, mostly assume by the user names.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by MrSh4nkly
Originally Posted by David-G
Can we please desist from this sort of personal attack. I do not come to PW to read this sort of stuff, which is most unpleasant. Pianoloverus is perfectly entitled to his opinion, which in this case is I think helpful to the OP, without being insulted.
As if twisting what I wrote isn't a personal attack. As if that isn't insulting. As if I'm not entitled to my opinion. You don't come here to read this sort of stuff? I don't come here to read inane posts from someone twisting my words and looking to pick a fight. You two, who have been here forever, complement each other's pretentious negativity greatly and thus should get a room. As for me, I'm out of here.
MrSh4nkly
I realise the predicament and your stress here.We should never need to keep explaining over and over what we actually mean.(as if we do understand and we are being deliberately deceptive, which you were not)

I understood what you meant however. I would say David-D is generally always a kind person here.As for pianoloverus, well we all do have our problems.I hope you will not leave as I enjoy
reading your comments especially on Starres thread.Lets hope this "war in a teacup" just dissappears.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
As I have said over and over and over and over and over again...

It is possible to ignore when someone says something you don't like or something you do not agree with. It is even possible to scroll past such posts and move on. I know this is an innovative and novel concept but more people should try it.

And believe it or not, it is even possible, even preferable for people to not post condescending and unkind things.

For example...

Are we clear on this or should I type slower?

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Can we please desist from this sort of personal attack. I do not come to PW to read this sort of stuff, which is most unpleasant. Pianoloverus is perfectly entitled to his opinion, which in this case is I think helpful to the OP, without being insulted.
As if twisting what I wrote isn't a personal attack. As if that isn't insulting. As if I'm not entitled to my opinion. You don't come here to read this sort of stuff? I don't come here to read inane posts from someone twisting my words and looking to pick a fight. You two, who have been here forever, complement each other's pretentious negativity greatly and thus should get a room. As for me, I'm out of here.
I DID NOT READ THIS WHEN I MADE MY POST FURTHER DOWN.So I was NOT CONSCIOUS of it.To report me for my benign post THEN is TOTALLY UNFAIR.
I do think it would be wise for Mr MrSh4nkly to apologize at least to David- G.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
8000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
8000 Post Club Member
I’d suggest that you insist on the floor model. That’s the one the sold you on the piano. The dealer can prep one of the others to take its place on the sales floor.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
I’d suggest that you insist on the floor model. That’s the one the sold you on the piano. The dealer can prep one of the others to take its place on the sales floor.
Yes, that's the safest for sure! 😃 It is what I would have done.

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I DID NOT READ THIS WHEN I MADE MY POST FURTHER DOWN.So I was NOT CONSCIOUS of it.To report me for my benign post THEN is TOTALLY UNFAIR.
I do think it would be wise for Mr MrSh4nkly to apologize at least to David- G.
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Yes, that's the safest for sure! 😃 It is what I would have done.
ha

V
V
Originally Posted by Tweedpipe
[quote=Estella]A few months after my post delivery tunings, I had a Piano Dampp Chaser installed, and I suggest you may wish to do the same, especially located in Hong Kong.
I'm sure you will enjoy your wonderful piano!

I share same advice on Damp Chaser installation but as my experience we only need the de-humidifiers in the area with constant high humidity. Moreover Damp Chaser is seems not available in Asian countries (hope we can have a authorized supplier in Hong Kong).

Every day is a gift
N
N
I like Kawai's idea of having a master artisan get scheduled after purchase to regulate, voice, and tune your new piano once placement in your home has been finalized.

https://shigerukawai.com/artisans/

Last edited by nrighton; 05/15/22 10:42 PM.
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by nrighton
I like Kawai's idea of having a master artisan get scheduled to regulate, voice, and tune your new piano once placement in your home after purchase.

https://shigerukawai.com/artisans/
Pretty cool 😎

I went a piano store with SKs but didn’t play them, I wish I did 🙁

W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Estella
Thank you so much for all your suggestions and insights. They are so helpful. The floor model has been on display for four years at a place with busy traffic in HK, so it is indeed a bit tricky. I guess I will trust the quality of Sauter and credibility of the dealer, and take one of the factory models.

Has everyone read this?

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
AJB Online Blank
3000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
3000 Post Club Member
I've been a member here for a while now. Sometimes I post sometimes I don't. But I have seen quite a few threads over the years where these themes recur:

a) people are nasty to each other and someone like long suffering Ken has to issue reminders. Just be nice. It's not hard. And...

b) people ask if a piano they don't like the sound of will magically improve somehow. The answer to this key question has always been and always will be "NO. Do not buy a piano that you don't like the sound or feel of. The end."

There are ever such a lot of pianos in the world. In many cases there is more similarity than difference when comparing them, but the rule still holds: just keep looking if there is anything about the piano you don't like.

It's a bit like searching for a husband or wife: no one in their right mind chooses someone they don't fancy, in the hope that they will somehow grow nicer, better looking or taller.

C212 used for me to delude myself I will one day be a good player, and to do a bit of teaching.
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by AJB
It's a bit like searching for a husband or wife: no one in their right mind chooses someone they don't fancy, in the hope that they will somehow grow nicer, better looking or taller.

Nice reminder, AJB. I do have to wonder about the above though, I would bet more people in the world end up having to do exactly that, than don't!

To be perfectly honest, it's taking me some time to grok the dynamics here. I've been an internet native for decades, but am pretty new to this subforum, and it's got ita own unspoken rules, strong personalities, curmudgeons people know not to take at their literal word, and pet rivalries, as well as tropes regulars find tedious and taboo subjects.

I find myself constantly surprised and confused at what will set some.people off, who gets set off and who will jump in to respond/defend and why.

Guess I'm just getting old and thinking the world is becoming an increasingly strange place! As the kids used to say, I'll just yeet myself out of this thread ;D

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AJB

Nice analogy/metaphor, AJB! And, it's nice to hear from you. Don't think you've posted here in a while. I hope all is well with you.

Reading through this thread, which I'm surprised is not locked already, I have another analogy/metaphor that might be relevant, or not.

I was out yesterday, getting in my daily exercise/walk, on the country road where I live, and a neighbor's dog, an Australian shepherd, that is usually kept in their house, and rarely let out, happened to be out. It saw me about 50 yards away, and came running at me full speed, barking as loud as it could. The dog had barked at me before, but not come too close.

This time it came pretty close, and all I knew to do was stop and hold out my hand so it could smell of the back of my hand, and try to make friends with the dog. Things started out well, and the dog smelled of the back of my hand, and then I reached up slowly and gently patted the dog on the head. So far so good. But when I started to move my hand away from the dog's head, it reach up and bit me on the hand. Fortunately, it was just a pinch, and didn't break the skin or draw blood.

I usually carry a broom handle stick, without the broom, when I walk because of another neighbor's dog that doesn't like me and barks at me continuously, and sometimes gets pretty close and shows its teeth. But it never comes closer than the length of the broom stick, and I suspect it's bark is worse than it's bite (but I don't want to find out for sure:-). The Australian shepherd, on the other hand, well, I know now that it will bite, despite me trying to be friendly to it.

I said all that to say this... it's best to be friendly, but if that fails, just keep on walking and try not to let it discourage you.

I also agree that we should never buy a piano we don't like the sound of. And, it has been my experience that voicing the hammers of a piano can change the tone a bit, but not drastically, and what changes do occur doesn't usually last for long periods of time before it needs voicing again.

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
AJB Online Blank
3000 Post Club Member
Online Blank
3000 Post Club Member
Hello Rickster. I have posted a few times in the past year. But I don't usually have much to add to the wisdom, prejudices and peccadillos of the other members here! I've probably bought my last acoustic piano anyway, as I finally realised that most brand analysis is a side show and that the pianist is what really makes the difference :-)

C212 used for me to delude myself I will one day be a good player, and to do a bit of teaching.
When I was buying my own piano back in the Dark Ages before electricity ... (not really, just 2005), I fell in love with a floor model. So did the other person who was piano shopping with me. The owner (Cathy Harl) brought over two more of the same model from Germany so we had three of 'em lined up in a row. I wound up preferring the floor model and my buying partner took one of the brand spanking new ones. They all sounded the same, and different. The same, because they all had the signature sound and feel of the brand. Different because of slight differences in the hammers from voicing and wear, and idiosyncratic (and small) differences in tuning.

Now in this case (Grotrian) the factory tunes and voices the heck out of the instruments precisely because THEY DO NOT WANT big differences in sound and feel confusing customers. They want consistency. They do not send out un- or minimally prepped instruments. So I'm a bit surprised at the big differences in perceived sound in these Sauters.

I was comfortable with the "floor" model because a) it didn't sound all THAT different, and B) it was still relatively new and C) not a piano that had potentially been pounded on for eons in a "high traffic" area.

I would ask the dealer to prep the new models to your liking to make another comparison. Sometimes a second or third listen/feel helps deepen your perspective about the actual instrument. But I would also agree with AJB (hi there!) that pianos will not magically improve toward your preferred sound and feel. If the dealer cannot give it the voice you want, time will not solve that problem.

S
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Rickster
I usually carry a broom handle stick, without the broom, when I walk because of another neighbor's dog that doesn't like me and barks at me continuously, and sometimes gets pretty close and shows its teeth. But it never comes closer than the length of the broom stick, and I suspect it's bark is worse than it's bite (but I don't want to find out for sure:-). The Australian shepherd, on the other hand, well, I know now that it will bite, despite me trying to be friendly to it.

I said all that to say this... it's best to be friendly, but if that fails, just keep on walking and try not to let it discourage you.

Actually with dogs which may be aggressive best is to stop and stand absolutely still. Never try to pad the dog, thats the best way to get a bite. The more you move the more you will excite it. Except for dogs that are trained to attack people (in case you venture in their territory), all the others will go away after a minute or two.

Blüthner model 6
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Alan Belkin on musical salience - an aesthetic concept
by indigo_dave - 07/05/22 11:18 AM
Help me change how I think about memorizing
by ShiroKuro - 07/05/22 11:05 AM
Kurzweil k2700
by Ivan504 - 07/05/22 10:43 AM
Help me rethink/re-assess memorizing
by ShiroKuro - 07/05/22 10:23 AM
Few Things :)
by ethanw - 07/05/22 08:28 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,812
Posts3,205,536
Members105,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission