2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
63 members (accordeur, antune, anotherscott, AndyOnThePiano2, benkeys, brennbaer, APianistHasNoName, 11 invisible), 1,875 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
OP Offline
Hello colleagues,
I discovered these brackets in a modern Bechstein piano with Renner mechanics.
About 90% of the tones were provided with it. What is the point?

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Burkhard Ebers
Klavierbauer u. Stimmer seit 1979
www.klavierdoktor.de
A
A
They look like Bulldog clips with the wire parts removed! I'm guessing in an attempt to add some mass to the action?

Last edited by Adypiano; 05/14/22 07:52 AM.

Started work at the Blüthner piano re-building workshop in Perivale, UK, in 1989. Self employed since 2000. Learning something new about pianos every day... smile

#hamiltonpianos

http://www.hamiltonpianos.com/
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
These are a type of paper clip that has had the wire handles removed after the clip was placed on the catcher dowel. This added mass will alter the center of gravity, (CG), of the hammer assembly so as to add more return force to the hammer.

This altered CG will reduce the tendency of a vertical piano action to suffer from "baubling" hammers. This baubling is when the hammer can't return from the string fast enough during soft playing resulting in double strikes with one key stroke.

The added mass will also dull the tone especially in the top three octaves.

I have found it best to narrow the hammers to reduce the mass always be combined with the addition of a catcher counterweight like this.

Vertical actions on this size piano also often suffer from inadequate return CG in the whippen. The slightest sluggishness in the whippen center pin bushing can cause the keys to stick.

Last edited by Ed McMorrow, RPT; 05/14/22 10:23 AM. Reason: add final paragraph

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
Ed, I'd love to hear more about your hammer narrowing technique. I am working with a Petrof P125 right now with slight baubling during soft playing and would like to know more about reducing hammer weight, if that is indeed the issue.

D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
Somehow it's as if to say "Bechstein/Renner got it wrong"......

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by David Boyce
Somehow it's as if to say "Bechstein/Renner got it wrong"......

I am quite certain the clips are not original. It is a technician's "fix" for a perceived problem. Sometimes, a "fix" addresses the symptoms but not the actual problem.

JG
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
Many newer vertical pianos exhibit the baubling hammer with soft playing problem. Especially in the tenor hammers just above the bass break.

The issue is the center of gravity of the hammer butt assembly allows too little return force. These action were designed to use lighter hammers than most makers are producing today, and heavier hammers tips the action over into problem CG behavior.

The simplest approach is to reduce the width of the tenor/treble hammers. This will lighten the hammers and make for more positive hammer return force.

You do need to remove all the butts from the action to sand the hammer sides with a disc sander. You must be careful with your fingers. And you must use calipers to help you remove a consistent amount from the hammers.

Some techs have fixtures for their table saws that will trim the sides of the hammers. But if the hammers are angled to meet the sweep of the strings, it takes great care not to sand the shank.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,223
Members111,632
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission