2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
37 members (CharlesXX, Christopher90, BravoRomeo, AndrewJCW, Bett, Chris Pringle, Alex Hutor, FrankCox, I. Bruton, 4 invisible), 399 guests, and 321 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Hi pianogabe - I see we crossed paths on a few posts.

Originally Posted by pianogabe
like Gombessa I play a silent system (Kawai K300 ATX3 in my case) and both the on board sound generator and VST with 32 or 64 audio buffer can have lower latency than the acoustically generated sound. At 128 buffer size it is on average similar. Of course that may be different on different computers/audio hardware/acoustic pianos, but that is what it is in my case.
Interesting - thank you for posting that real-world experience.

And larger latency variation around a short mean latency may be much more detrimental to your perception of control than small variation around a longer mean latency. Perceptual studies on instrument playing have shown this (albeit not on a piano).

Hi newerplayer, I posted before I saw you post. As you can see my experience is different with the rest of the latency being effectively fixed. I haven't been able to measure it, but when my computer is under heavy load (windows doing something like download updates) the audio is never affected (no crackles or pops, just continuous sound) indicating audio is still getting sufficiently high priority, but the action -> sound reaching the ear drum is very much so. Somehow there will be very variable and sometimes very long delays in overall latency, but no audio problems.
Indeed the "fixed" components of the chain are not fixed at all but rather "difficult for the user to change". Thanks for clarifying. Who knows where the VI jitter comes from.

Would an acoustic drum have any jitter? I suppose an acoustic piano might have some jitter from the mechanics. Perhaps the acoustic piano's jitter is short and naturally distributed (when compared to that of a piano VI).

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by newer player
I suppose an acoustic piano might have some jitter from the mechanics. Perhaps the acoustic piano's jitter is short and naturally distributed (when compared to that of a piano VI).

Yes I think so, I recall a publication in the Journal of the Acoustical Society of America on acoustic action movement and latency, and there was some variation (latency is mostly a function of key velocity on an acoustic). I can't find that paper at the moment and have to run. I may be that the variation was due to measurement. In any case it looked small and naturally distributed with respect to the overall variation.

G
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by newer player
I suppose Yamana & Kawai could have plenty of tricks up their sleeves to improve performance . . .

I've noticed that there are a lot of things not done on some Yamaha/Kawai keyboards, which I suspect are in order to maximize compatibility with MIDI.

For instance, they don't trigger a note-on before velocity is calculated, which is a very easy way to simulate the real effect of a damper being lifted before the hammer hits a string.

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Oh wow, so many interesting replies!!! Allow me to batch reply here, as I feel I've gotten what I'm looking for.

1. Latency can be a multi-layered cake if you really dig into it and not all layers are at the user's control.
2. Since I already am using an external audio interface, the best thing to do is to get the lowest buffer size that doesn't cause any crackles and pops and stay there. In my case, that means staying at 64 samples.
3. Unless I maybe upgrade to a more powerful CPU / computer setup, this is the best I can achieve, which is already very good.

As for increasing the CPU voltage from, say, 15 to 28, I'm fearful of burning the hardware inside the machine. Since the laptop is mostly quiet and the only time I hear the fan is if I convert multiple audio files / resample hi-res audio files to CD quality flacs for my portable media player, the laptop may still hold up for years to come.
It's fun hearing all this knowledge you share, things that contribute to this VST experience that I might not know once I set it and leave it be. smile

Thanks everyone!

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@David Lai, That seems a very good and wise summary to me.

Messing with your current processor is risky and I'd never advise to do so -- and on a laptop that may not even be possible anyway. Apart from the risks, results would be uncertain and percentage-wise probably insignificant.

If you can currently run everything you need at 64 buffer size, you're already in a sweet spot that others can only dream of and from where improvements would be next to unnoticeable. I'd consider upgrading hardware not worth your investment in such an already favorable case.

Cheers and the happiest playing,

HZ

D
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by HZPiano
Hello,

@David Lai, That seems a very good and wise summary to me.

Messing with your current processor is risky and I'd never advise to do so -- and on a laptop that may not even be possible anyway. Apart from the risks, results would be uncertain and percentage-wise probably insignificant.

If you can currently run everything you need at 64 buffer size, you're already in a sweet spot that others can only dream of and from where improvements would be next to unnoticeable. I'd consider upgrading hardware not worth your investment in such an already favorable case.

Cheers and the happiest playing,

HZ

Thank you, HZ! Well, I'm glad the money spent 3 years ago when I got this machine and the subsequent upgrades is paying off. What's more, I can always put myself in a concert hall, or in a studio. smile

Your replies are always greatly appreciated!!!

David

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
in the end you're really just going by feel, there's a threshold where it just feels wrong. as long as you're under that, it's more or less ok even if improvement is possible. depending on the application, giving realtime priority to the vst may help. you can also try disabling hyperthreading, if it's processing bound this may be worse, if it's not then it may be lower latency.

Last edited by KawaFanboi; 05/14/22 09:29 AM.
G
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by KawaFanboi
in the end you're really just going by feel, there's a threshold where it just feels wrong. as long as you're under that, it's more or less ok even if improvement is possible.

Personally, I think there is an interesting occurrence. There isn't an acoustic I've played where I think "oh this hammer delay is really noticeable and undesirable." But there isn't a digital I've played where I hadn't thought could always be a more real with a.littlw less latency, even when using headphones and getting that "instant sound arriving at the ears" bonus.

Part of me wonders whether I am (we are) mistakenly using latency as a proxy for something else that is missing in the experience?

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
I've always wanted my acoustic to be more like digital, never the other way around.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
On-Stage KB9503B Adjustable Height Piano Bench
by TheophilusCarter - 08/12/22 10:15 PM
Cant i identify a piano, need help
by Orisolo - 08/12/22 09:34 PM
1983 Yamaha C7 Concert Grand Piano
by Joshua Lauriston - 08/12/22 05:39 PM
The Fugue, a Form or a Technique ?
by Sidokar - 08/12/22 06:34 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,369
Posts3,215,890
Members106,074
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission