2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
73 members (AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, 36251, brdwyguy, amc252, akse0435, 20/20 Vision, Burkhard, 16 invisible), 2,121 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
VladK Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Concert Grand LE, Production Grand 2 LE, and all SFZ libraries are on sale (50% or more) till May 31st.
Concert Grand LE, and Production Grand 2 LE require full Kontakt (not Player).

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
I own the PV Grand LE. The installation is without NI Access. The requirements for Cpu is very high.

The sound quality and playability is good.

I am interested in 300 grand but only if it runs in Kontakt.

Yamaha P 525
VSL D-274 , BI and CFX, NI Komplete Ultimate, VPS Avenger, Gig Performer
IK loud MTMs, Motu M4, DT 990 pro, AKG702, Macbook pro M1
VladK Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by klausi6
I am interested in 300 grand but only if it runs in Kontakt.

What is 300 grand?

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
300 Grand is the Yamaha CFX, only Sforzando version as of yet, a cut down version. Don't understand what is delaying the release of the full Kontakt version with all the microphone pairs (I'm guessing it'll be huge, and expensive).

That said, I was hoping the 300 Grand Compact would be included in this sale. I really wanted to snatch it, would do for $29, even $39, but not for $49. I would stay away from the Sforzando versions of the other ones, and rather wait for a bigger discount on the full versions (if you have Kontakt full).

I have both the Production Grand Gold (Yamaha C7) and the (Steinway) Concert Grand LE. I haven't noticed any CPU problems on my system - I7-8700K, 16GB RAM. My biggest gripe with them is how long they take to load. Some samples for a few notes fail to load in the case of the Production Grand, but I can live with that.

Last edited by TheodorN; 05/12/22 06:31 PM.

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
oh, that´s interesting. I also mean the loading time, but i am not a computer nerd, so sorry. i own an 5 year old i7 Laptop and the loading time from Garritan and PV LE is nearly the same. it tooks minutes.

The 300 Grand is sampled from a CFX disklavier.The velocities should be very exact. The sample rate is very high and the sound is amazing. The sfz version has only 1 Mic and costs at the beginning 29€. I would recommend the youtube video from simeon.

Now the price is 49€.

Which C7 do you like more? The PV or the acousticSamples C7?

Last edited by klausi6; 05/12/22 11:46 PM.

Yamaha P 525
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Sigh. I really wish these companies would do standalone players like VSL, Garritan, and others.

It’s so annoying to have to spend super amounts of money on the samples themselves, then have to spend even more money on the Kontakt player.

Also, unfortunately, the one I’m interested in no part of the sale. I want the Concert Grand. Sound quality seems stupendous. Unfortunately the lack of a demo or significant samples means I’ll have to wait until I have some more disposable income before I can splurge.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Klausi6, my experience differs a bit from yours. I don't play the piano that often now, but I just tested loading both of those piano VSTs.

The Garritan took less than 30 seconds, each microphone perspective. So if one likes switching between perspectives, you spend about a minute and a half loading, which is not terrible I guess. When I used the Garritan, I mostly used the classic perspective, so it's only 30 seconds for me, but yeah, Contemporary and Player have the same loading times.

It took between two and three minutes to load the Production Grand Gold. It is bigger than PV Grand LE, but not that much bigger. These missing notes increase the loading time, because I have to confirm the popup warnings for the missing sample files.

When the Production Grand loads initially it loads a preset with only two mic perspectives, and if I want to switch to the other presets, with more microphone pairs, then these need to be loaded of course, which increases the loading time.

I'll have to give an edge to the AcousticSamples C7 Grand, but mostly because of the ease of use. It loads almost immediately, as it is very small, and I like the sound of it, quite pianolike. I don't dislike the sound of the Production Grand C7, but I sometimes feel it's a bit sterile. It can be sculpted in so many ways though, just haven't dug that deep into the settings.

This user (un)friendliness of the Production Voices libraries, is something the company must work on. It is a turnoff, having no GUI in the beginning, and having to dive into the file-explorer-like interface of Kontakt. Piano playing is so much about feeling, and when the feeling is negative, I tend not to use a piano VST. Lousy GUI is OK for a word processing program, but not far a sample library.

Sorry for a long post / rant!

Me on YouTube

Casio PX-5S. Garritan CFX, Production Grand 2 Gold, Concert Grand LE, AcousticSamples C7, some Sampletekks. Pianoteq 8 Std (Blüthner, SteinGraeber, NY/HB Steinway D).
kontakt works great with the hibernate mode of my laptop. this makes all pianos available to me within a few seconds.
that´s why i am a big fan of NI Kontakt.
it works multitimbral and is extemely customizeable.

but i was also surprised that there are still libraries that you have to install manually in kontakt. also the error messages about missing samples were annoying. i had confirmed these fix routines and saved a snapshot.

PV LE works but it is not my favorite.

Yamaha P 525
B
B
I also am interested in the 300 grand but in kontakt only, as well. I had reached out to their developer and the sforzando version won't be supporting any advanced continuous controller functions. So no half pedal or repedal in that version. Kontakt version however, will support continuous controller data.

VladK Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
99.9% of all VI are made not with piano players in mind, but with composers/music producers instead.

Kontakt is built on top of 2 decades old proprietary framework, and has very old core engine with outdated and slow IO and outdated GUI. But it offers very reach scripting language, and a lot of production ready scripts for library creators and music producers. And its backwards compatibility is very important for majority of its users which makes NI very hesitant to major upgrades.

I just tested Production Grand 2 Gold (54 GB of sample size) - it took me seconds to start playing, not minutes. So it might be your slow hard drive (I use PCIe4 NVMe drive).

Vlad,
Adult beginner
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I have the Garritan on a WD 500GB SSD, and the Production Grand Gold on a Samsung 850 EVO 256GB SSD. Why is the Garritan CFX faster, when they are both on regular SSDs?

For the record, I have the Concert Grand LE on my NvME system drive, 500GB. Just tested loading it, took roughly two minutes and a half, with no missing files. No siginificant difference in loading times, between it and the Production Grand.

Me on YouTube

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission