2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (Barry_Braksick, BadSanta, danbot3, Animisha, Burkhard, aphexdisklavier, benkeys, 11 invisible), 1,849 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I'm really enjoying these videos from the youtube channel "Heart of the Keys", aka Annique Gottler. She takes a piece that is new to her, practices it for a minute, ten minutes, and an hour, and tries to perform it after each practice session. The more recent ones have lots of good tips, and she is not shy about showing the difficulties and mistakes that she makes.

Here is a good example:

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Her tips are good but I think the idea of "performing" a piece after 1 minute is ridiculous. With the pieces she is playing 1 minute is not enough to even do one proper sight read through.

But her videos are pretty good, I agree. 👍

Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Even after an hour she doesn’t play the whole piece. Yes, there is a bit of hype to bring in an audience. But I think it is a very realistic portrayal of the work involved, even for an advanced player.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
Even after an hour she doesn’t play the whole piece. Yes, there is a bit of hype to bring in an audience. But I think it is a very realistic portrayal of the work involved, even for an advanced player.

Sam

Oh, Sam! If you kneew the number of hours I put in, just to embed a simple tune in my head (decent reading is now out of the question) you'd be shocked!
But I have to count it as gain.
i just love the sound, the vitality, and the work-out for my brain.
I am fast becoming a third rate poet . . . .against my will haha

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
A curious desperation seems to exist among accomplished or famous artists and creators to preserve their enigma at all costs as if it all comes out of the blue. It is refreshing to come across the odd few who discusses their functioning in everyday language and don’t care what people think.

"Mistakes are the portals of discovery." - James Joyce
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
I just watched her Claire de Lune - she has the same counting problems as the rest of us, which she corrected in the 1 hour practice period. We tend to play it the way we have heard it, which is rarely the way Debussy wrote it.

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I'm not sure what the pedagogical point is of continuing to practice the opening section with melody and accompaniment in separate hands when the score clearly indicates alternating hands. She admits it is "wrong" yet she continues to practice it that way. I would say: slow down and practice it right.

Contrary to what she says, for me, at least, I find it much easier to follow the "fine print" (i.e. proper hand distribution) than her initial attempts which she claims easier than the alternating hands direction.

As for the one minute, ten minute, one hour regimen, I don't see much value in it.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
S
S
Yeah, I'm not sure what the point of a 1 minute practice session is on a new piece, except maybe to quickly judge whether it will be too challenging to play or not. Either way one would need to have very solid sight-reading skills and be extremely familiar with all of the keys, in order to judge anything within a minute.

If anything I would say that the thinking should be the opposite, something like:
- 1 hour hands-separate practice
- 10 minutes slow practice (hands-together)
- 1 minute hands-together at tempo

S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by schmalex
Yeah, I'm not sure what the point of a 1 minute practice session is on a new piece, except maybe to quickly judge whether it will be too challenging to play or not. Either way one would need to have very solid sight-reading skills and be extremely familiar with all of the keys, in order to judge anything within a minute.

If anything I would say that the thinking should be the opposite, something like:

I would start with
- 1 hr hands together slowly — as the goal should be to play hands together as soon as possible
- 10 min hands separate practice ( sections where hands together identified problems )
- 1 min hands together at tempo (targeting either the fastest or most problematic section )

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by schmalex

For a concert pianist, a one minute practice session may be enough to get a vague idea of how to play the piece, and poses a difficult challenge. It makes no sense for a novice.

T
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
T
If you take the time posted on the video literally, it's what advanced players with years of experience would be able to do. For the average learner, 1 minute of playing is still practice. It'd take a week or longer to get through the notes on the first page.

There are learners on YT tracking their progress from 0 to playing a few songs in 6 months to a year. They are much closer to what an average player like myself would be doing. A minute of playing would be like a day to a week for many of us. My last piece by Beethoven has 2 movements in a moderate tempo. The difficulty is less than half of the one on the video. Took 1 week to learn a movement and another week to polish it. The 2nd movement the same.

The bottom line is to set realistic goals and keep track of your progress. Regardless the level of the pieces you're playing, aim to bring each piece up to a performance level.

500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
The one minute piece is self-deprecating entertainment as the audience empathizes with her self-imposed suffering.

S
S
1 minute!? Usually takes me 5 minutes to realise I've forgotten my glasses and can't see what I'm playing 😳

Kawai ES920
Sam S Offline OP
6000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
6000 Post Club Member
Come on people - it's fun, entertaining, and a realistic look at what she can do with a new piece that she has never seen before. I find it fascinating that, even at her level, she has some of he same problems that all piano students have with new pieces. Much more informative than the usual "look how great I am" videos on youtube. I hope she makes more of them and I wish her the best of luck with her music career.

Sam

ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Come on people - it's fun, entertaining, and a realistic look at what she can do with a new piece that she has never seen before. I find it fascinating that, even at her level, she has some of he same problems that all piano students have with new pieces. Much more informative than the usual "look how great I am" videos on youtube. I hope she makes more of them and I wish her the best of luck with her music career.

Sam

Yes, exactly! I agree with every word.

Physical instruments: Roland FP-30, and E-28
Virtual instruments: "The Experience" piano collection, NI "The Maverick", Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2
Focus: 1850±100 years
S
S
Originally Posted by QuasiUnaFantasia

Sam

Yes, exactly! I agree with every word.
I don’t think anybody was trying to disparage the videos. It was just a discussion about how the challenge is likely out of reach for most here re: the 1 minute practice.

I mean she can sight-read pieces better than it would take many of us months to learn.

Last edited by schmalex; 05/14/22 05:43 AM.
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
YouTube videos have to be condensed and somewhat "flashy" to appeal to the average 5 second attention span of internet and social media users, so I'm not blaming her for making this type of challenge. That said, she is not the only one showing glimpses into her practice. I'm a Josh Wright subscriber and he has some non-public videos where he literally shows his initial practice sessions on some pieces and thinks out loud how he approaches them. It gets boring sometimes (practice should sound boring) but it does show some of the thought processes.

B
B
There are so many charismatic pianists demonstrating and teaching on YT that you need a hook not just to attract audiences, but also get them to stay with you. One minute -> 1 hour 'challenge' is as good as any.

Though I must say that when I watched the same 'challenge video' on Rondo alla turca afterwards, I was perplexed, not just at the fact that she'd never played it before, but also at the way she sight-read it, which doesn't seem to be up to the level commensurate with her piano-playing abilities (nor with her attempt at the Liszt here).

If music be the food of love, play on!
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
The 1 minute-10 minutes-1 hour is a format that is used by many people on YT and not only for music. So here is a little tour:

Piano: Anna Khomichko playing Clair de Lune, obviously a piece of cake for her. Looks like she barely needs the 1 hour.

Vs Heart of the Keys

Another pianist: obviously less successful

Violin: TwoSetViolin, the humoristic challenge

Violin again: Abrami who BTW is an excellent pro

Here she is playing a wonderful piece by Piazolla: nothing to do with the subject but I like it.

The Flute: pretty boring. You can skip it. But she still made 25k views !

House building (miniature): dont even know what sort of software she is using. I did not know it existed ! I wonder if that is a frequently shared hobby. Looks easier than piano. I should try it.

Drawing challenge: if you have some skills (I dont)

Blüthner model 6
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I don't agree with the people who say 1 minute practice is not effective. They are just not practicing efficiently enough. I used simply piano for 1 minute and not only can I now play la campanella with their advanced algorithmic training methodology - so could everyone within a 10 mile radius! wink

Last edited by Moo :); 05/14/22 11:37 AM.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Bart K, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission