2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
98 members (36251, AJB, Animisha, 80k, 8ude, anotherscott, BobTB, anamnesis, 16 invisible), 4,672 guests, and 324 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
I
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
I
Agreed. It is not a volume perception for me as Stu mentions. I think the issue is tight key bushings which sometimes prevent certain keys from returning to their original position.

Will, could you elaborate on how yours was regulated?

I. Bruton
Piano at home: Yamaha C3
Piano at church: Yamaha P22
Digitals at home: Roland RD-800, Kawai Novus N5S
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by I. Bruton
I think the issue is tight key bushings which sometimes prevent certain keys from returning to their original position.

Oh, that sounds like an extremely common issue with new pianos. It likely just requires lubrication or easing of the balance (or front) rail bushings, using a tapered easing tool or easing pliers.

Here's an example @ 9:32:

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11, Kawai NV-10
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by SouthPark
The OP isn't going to get her answer in this thread - as they will only find out for themselves by personal trying out of the various sorts of instruments out there ----- at the music stores.

'his/her','personally' ... and any other typos.

Also ..... not just music stores. Also include anywhere else having instruments for trying out.

D
D
Agreed. It is not a volume perception for me as Stu mentions. I think the issue is tight key bushings which sometimes prevent certain keys from returning to their original position.

I'm afraid I don't know in technical terms, sorry. It was done by someone from Kawai UK who came over to sort that as well as a problem with the pedals. He spent a good couple of hours - bits of the action were getting taken out, approximately three hammers at a time, then lastly the whole thing came out in one go and was resting on our floor for a minute.

If you do find the action troublesome and it's under warranty, you should absolutely get in touch with Kawai directly though - James here may be able to provide an email or something.

Edit - yes, the video above sounds to me consistent with what needed to be done on ours. I like this guy's reviews BTW - he seems more impartial than most.

Last edited by DeckardWill; 05/20/22 06:37 PM.
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Of course it is going to be a ghostly sound if that particular set of notes - including the bass - is going to be played that way, and giving us the startled look heheh - LINK. But - I think I did see a shadow move along the wall, in the background. Looks like sleeping with the lights on for tonight.

P
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
P

In my case the problem was not the front rail bushings (mentioned in the video above) but the jack flanges. A few needed repinning, i.e. received slightly thinner pins, while other keys were lubricated with some special fluid. This stopped the ´key not returning to their position´ problem. Since I want the action to be as light as possible, I also bought a dehumidifier to make sure humidity does not exceed 55%. I can notice the action becomes heavier/slightly sluggish above that.

Last edited by pianogabe; 05/21/22 12:22 AM.
T
T
Originally Posted by SouthPark
Originally Posted by Taushi
I don’t think DeckardWill’s post was about who can participate in the thread. It was about the relevance of spamming multiple threads with mentions of a YouTuber, even when that person isn’t relevant to the conversation.

You are incorrect Taushi. You're wrong. Poor form from you in the way that you conjured this lie about 'spamming' ('spamming multiple threads'). The limited mention is/was for mentioning to people such as you (whenever appropriate that is) that there are gifted pianists using pianos other than the 'acoustic' sort, and they have no problem with action and/or sound. And their ears and musical ability are possibly better than both your ears and Will's ----- combined.

The thread title does indeed have the words 'the real thing'. As mentioned - all our instruments we use are 'the real thing'. There is uncertainty about whether or not the OP is after 'the real thing' (as in their interpretation that the 'real thing' is 'acoustic piano') due to thinking that having not 'the real thing' will be a disadvantage in some way(s).

Also - while I'm at it - I disagree with you about comments you wrote about 'digitals' (which also includes hybrids) not capable of 'complex' (complicated) piano music.

And once again, back to the title of the thread. As mentioned - the OP will certainly find the answer by heading (in any way that they can) to a suitable music instrument store (or as many stores as needed), to do some comparisons behind hybrids and digitals and acoustics ----- and the answer to their question will personally be found. And try enough of all of the different sorts. This also includes playing expertly tuned and configured 'premium' grand pianos. The OP isn't going to get her answer in this thread - as they will only find out for themselves by personal trying out of the various sorts of instruments out there ----- at the music stores.

When the OP said “the real thing”, it’s clear they are referring to acoustics, which are “the real thing” upon which digitals & hybrids are modeled. Nobody was uncertain about that & nobody took that to mean digital pianos aren’t real musical instruments. You, alone, distorted it into some imagined insult against digitals, so you could steer yet another thread into the “digitals are superior” rhetoric which you consistently display.

And the OP knows they can go to a music store. That shouldn’t mean they can’t come here to get advice, insight, and information from other musicians who’ve had similar experience to inform their decisions. It does not hurt to consult with other people on a topic and to get insight from a different perspective. Would it that we all could do that.

This YouTuber who you consistently defer to is not a “gifted pianist”. From what I’ve seen in her videos, at her very best, she is of intermediate technical skill (primarily playing repetitive basic chords and simple melodies), and musically, shows a common ability to play by ear (mimicking basic melodies from pop tunes & television/movies). We should celebrate everybody for their talent, but you can do that without wildly exaggerated claims. To lift this person up as a gifted pianist & musician, when you can find people with equal & greater ability in the Adult Beginner’s section on this very forum, indicates that there is an entire world of music & skill out there to which you have not been exposed, are not aware of, & are not willing to learn about.

Your consistent insistence that digitals can perform in the same way as acoustics illustrates a profound lack of understanding of how both acoustics or digitals work, what acoustics are capable of versus what digitals are capable of, or even what repertoire & technique would be considered “extremely complex”.

And your minimization of other people’s experiences/skills/knowledge/ability, coupled with your insistence that your preferences/experiences/tastes/abilities are the only ones that should be centered, demonstrate that conversing further on the subject would be a waste.

And so, there’s that.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Three people have taken over this thread to spar with each other. Closing it because oif this.

This time the thred gets closed. Next time the people's accounts get closed.

Ken

Hammond Organ Technician
Piano Torturer
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai Novus 10S New owner
by Ron A - 07/05/22 11:33 AM
Kurzweil k2700
by Ivan504 - 07/05/22 11:30 AM
Alan Belkin on musical salience - an aesthetic concept
by indigo_dave - 07/05/22 11:18 AM
Help me change how I think about memorizing
by ShiroKuro - 07/05/22 11:05 AM
Kurzweil k2700
by Ivan504 - 07/05/22 10:43 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,814
Posts3,205,545
Members105,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission