2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
37 members (Charles Cohen, Animisha, benkeys, Burkhard, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, 9 invisible), 1,137 guests, and 316 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
P
OP Offline
P
My current piano teacher is moving to another country to continue her piano journey, so I am looking for a new piano teacher.

I have already contacted one new teacher that offers one free lesson to get to know each other. This time a guy in his late 20s. He charges a bit more, but is perhaps more experienced as a piano teacher and has had students for longer, than my current one who is in her early 20s.

What kind of agreements do you make with new students, and expect from them in terms of following through with any homework/practice from lesson to lesson?
Do you expect students to always follow through with tasks they are given, or do you accept that every now and then the student hasn't had any time to practice and adjust to their pace?
My problem is that my schedule is a bit unpredictable, and don't always have the energy to sit down and play. While I know it is a bad idea to not have a fixed schedule and dedicated time for practice (makes it too easy to just skip out of laziness), I still prefer to do things at my own pace instead of pushing through against my will. It's a hobby, not a job. I always show up to appointments and always pay in time. Practice in between is so-so....

Will I be "the annoying student", or is it ok as long as the student pays and shows up to appointments?

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Pianotron
What kind of agreements do you make with new students, and expect from them in terms of following through with any homework/practice from lesson to lesson?
I expect them to do their best whistle.
Do you expect students to always follow through with tasks they are given, or do you accept that every now and then the student hasn't had any time to practice and adjust to their pace?
My problem is that my schedule is a bit unpredictable, and don't always have the energy to sit down and play. While I know it is a bad idea to not have a fixed schedule and dedicated time for practice (makes it too easy to just skip out of laziness), I still prefer to do things at my own pace instead of pushing through against my will. It's a hobby, not a job. I always show up to appointments and always pay in time. Practice in between is so-so....

Will I be "the annoying student", or is it ok as long as the student pays and shows up to appointments?
If the teacher is making his living from teaching, you can choose how much or how far you want to pursue your hobby, as long as you keep paying.....even if you don't show up.

I'm not that kind of teacher and I don't teach adults, so my criteria is different.

If music be the food of love, play on!
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
I would suggest you discuss your potential practicing issue with your potential new teacher. That is the only way to ensure you have agreement. Opinions on a forum may vary from an individual’s opinion.

P
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
P
I think any studio piano teacher who deals with adult hobby pianists well knows that not every week can be a stellar week of consistent practice. Life intrudes, in a way that it doesn't for kids. But generally I find that my adult students cherish their daily 45 to 90 minutes at the keyboard, as a retreat into another realm from the rest of their stressful life.

The ones still in the work force, or raising kids, have the most challenges regarding consistent practicing.

6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
I hope my teacher agrees with Peter!

I keep expecting my teacher to fire me, but after about 10 years, it hasn't happened yet! He has some amazing wunderkind students, but he keeps me around. My husband has also started lessons--Hubby begins just about every lesson with a confession that he hasn't practiced. (Sometimes, I think he's a bad influence on me!)

To Peter's point, I do love all my practice time, and even when my husband doesn't practice, he loves his lesson time with the teacher.

YMMV, but best to you.

ps. Peter K Mose, I wish you would post more!

Learner
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Pianotron
My problem is that my schedule is a bit unpredictable, and don't always have the energy to sit down and play.

Tell your teacher this during your first trial lesson, and you'll see how he responds. I think that most teachers will be understanding, but some may not like this. Best to know right from the start what he thinks...

Last edited by Animisha; 05/11/22 11:44 AM.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
OP: you wrote … “don't always have the energy to sit down and play”.

If possible try doing just 10 minutes or even 5 when you get up (plan what to play the night before so you can go straight to it).

You’ll be fresh, I hope, and it gives your practice a good start.

Practicing every day is valuable.

AJB Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Be honest with your teacher from the outset. That way he can set realistic goals. Get him to advise you on efficient practice so that you don't waste the limited time you have.

I know logic dictates that as long as you pay, why should the teacher care. However, I don't operate that way. If there is a pattern over time of a student clearly not working, them I tell them that they need either to work properly or find another teacher. I dislike wasting my time.

C212. Teaching. Accompaniment.
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
Hei Pianotron! Did you have your trial lesson? How did it go?

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
I think it's okay, you seem serious about the piano, and if it's just a week almost all teachers should understand that. If you'll not be able to practice for a month at a stretch or so, I would be much more concerned.

Usually, when I can't practice for a week or two, I will make a considerable amount of progress when I return, so I think my teacher has gotten used to that lol.

P
OP Offline
P
Yes I had the trial lesson and he seems flexible. He teaches both children and adults so he's probably used to all kinds of performance. I guess the important part is that the teacher will need to understand that any lack of progress and exercise isn't a failure from their side. As in he shouldnt feel frustrated or failing as a teacher if I don't follow through with the advice I am given between lessons.

Moderated by  platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,166
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission