2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
74 members (Azalingchan, AndreaH, 80k, astrotoy, 3B43, apianostudent, Animisha, accordeur, 18 invisible), 4,588 guests, and 284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
The young man from England who is known for playing Queen "Bohemian Rhapsody" on public pianos made a review on the Donner DDP-80:

Nice post. That guy certainly doesn't look like he needs income from Donner. He just went out of his way to do the review. Good on him for that I reckon.

H
H
Originally Posted by steamrick
Does anyone know what a "Donner Hammer Action II" actually looks like? I couldn't find a diagram or model anywhere.
There is a single CGI picture on their website, but it looks like an borrowed and edited out PHA action from Roland

Casio AP250 - Kawai CN24 - Kawai CA65 - Kawai CA67- Roland FP30 - Roland FP7X
Tyr Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by SouthPark
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
The young man from England who is known for playing Queen "Bohemian Rhapsody" on public pianos made a review on the Donner DDP-80:

Nice post. That guy certainly doesn't look like he needs income from Donner. He just went out of his way to do the review. Good on him for that I reckon.

He got a DDP-80 for free and Donner wanted a review in return. No wonder that he won't talk about negative things.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
F
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
F
Darn. Why are so many of those reviewers always like:

"This keyboard is very affordable."

*puts $2000 MacBook on top of it to record*

The laptop is what... 4-5 times more expensive than the keyboard it's sitting on... As a piano-player I'd rather have it the other way around, but that may just be me.

Kawai Novus NV-10 | Pianoteq 7
(Kremsegg 1 & 2, Ruckers II, Karsten, KIVIR, Steinway D, K2)
Intel NUC J5040, 8GB, SSD | iPad Pro 12.9 2018 | forScore
S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Tyr
He got a DDP-80 for free and Donner wanted a review in return. No wonder that he won't talk about negative things.

He even took it to a function or something. And he certainly doesn't appear to be the type that wants his (and his family) reputation ruined for misleading people.

S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Falsch
Darn. Why are so many of those reviewers always like:
"This keyboard is very affordable."
*puts $2000 MacBook on top of it to record*

Exactly. Donner gives them the instrument for free. And they voluntarily give a review. And those people are clearly well-off already. And all have good reputations.

K
Online Content
K
Originally Posted by HoangCosmic
Does anyone know what a "Donner Hammer Action II" actually looks like? I couldn't find a diagram or model anywhere.
There is a single CGI picture on their website, but it looks like an borrowed and edited out PHA action from Roland

it's on azpiano, that diagram is accurate, but it's not as long as the roland key, the roland key is 20cm, the donner is 18cm.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by KawaFanboi; 05/06/22 07:35 AM.
K
Online Content
K
Originally Posted by Falsch
MacBook on top of it to record

People use macs for sound because of core audio, it's like asio but better integrated. on windows more things can go wrong as software configurations diverge greatly.

H
H
As I recall, this keybed's fulcrum is different than the image provided on the site, that image features exactly a typical Roland's design tho
Here it is:
[img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0562/5256/3616/products/0_1000x.png?v=1643335433[/img]

Last edited by HoangCosmic; 05/06/22 09:00 AM.

Casio AP250 - Kawai CN24 - Kawai CA65 - Kawai CA67- Roland FP30 - Roland FP7X
S
S
Originally Posted by KawaFanboi
it's on azpiano, that diagram is accurate, but it's not as long as the roland key, the roland key is 20cm, the donner is 18cm.

Good find. That leaves just about 3cm between the top of the key and the pivot point?

In absolute terms 2cm difference doesn't sound like much but when you're playing at the top of the key, the difference between roland 20cm and donner 18cm is about 50% extra pivot length. That's pretty significant.

Last edited by steamrick; 05/06/22 10:27 AM.

Kawai CA79
C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
18 cm is like in Casio's AP, PX and CDP without the S in the model name.

S
S
Thanks for the context. Is there a list for this stuff somewhere?

Kawai CA79
K
Online Content
K
Originally Posted by HoangCosmic
As I recall, this keybed's fulcrum is different than the image provided on the site, that image features exactly a typical Roland's design tho
Here it is:
[img]https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0562/5256/3616/products/0_1000x.png?v=1643335433[/img]

Yea, I guess if we're splitting hairs, they probably just borrowed an image from somewhere.

closer photo. az

[Linked Image]

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Thanks for the context. Is there a list for this stuff somewhere?

We tried to collect some verified numbers here: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthre...ngth-validation-thread-lets-do-this.html

U
U
FYI in Chinese market there are a lot of small brands which produce such cheap DPs, you can easily identify them by checking the phrase 'French Dream Sound Engine'. They bought the same components from the same supplier, then assemble them, printed their own brands, and then sell them. Of course you can't expect much from such DPs, however if you are quite short on budget, perhaps there is no other choices for you.

'You get what you paid for' still applies here.

Back to this donner I consider it as the international version of such cheap dps.

Kawai CA67/Ivory 2 Grand Piano
S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by USSOWT
FYI in Chinese market there are a lot of small brands which produce such cheap DPs, you can easily identify them by checking the phrase 'French Dream Sound Engine'. They bought the same components from the same supplier, then assemble them, printed their own brands, and then sell them. Of course you can't expect much from such DPs, however if you are quite short on budget, perhaps there is no other choices for you.

'You get what you paid for' still applies here.

Back to this donner I consider it as the international version of such cheap dps.

Hard to say how it is going to go. There is the saying ..... from little things .... big things grow. Can assume can grow. Some of these companies could well have a heap of money for product development. If the early products are useable for purpose ..... and the customers are generally happy with the item ..... then there may well be very formidable products to come from the company in the future.

There is also ... in this world ... such a thing as relatively cheap and good.

K
Online Content
K
Does anyone feel like ordering this piano just to see if it's as bad as Tyr says it is ? I had no interest in it until this thread, now I really want to try it, Tyr can you make a video review and teardown ? perhaps also some mods to make it lighter because reviews say the keys are too heavy ? crazy

Last edited by KawaFanboi; 05/08/22 08:56 AM.
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

I'm an older guy kind of set in my ways, but you guys are way ahead of me regarding your knowledge of DPs, and most everything else.

That said, I always associated quality with brands. Nowadays, that philosophy still holds true to a certain extent, but not as much as it used to.

Also, in the global economy, where the big fish easily gobble up/buyout the little fish, or even the other big fish having difficulties, it's hard to know what company owns the brands we always associated with quality.

Case in point, (though not DP related) I owned an older Toshiba cathode ray TV, for many years. I decided I'd wait until it broke to buy a new flat-screen. Well, I waited and waited and waited, and the Toshiba never broke. So, I decided to go ahead and buy a new flat-screen TV. I was so impressed with the quality and longevity of the Toshiba, I wanted another Toshiba TV. Did some Googling on the net, and made a couple of trips to different Wal-Marts in the area, neither of which had the TV I wanted in stock. I drove about 30 miles to the nearest Best Buy and they the Toshiba flat screen I wanted in stock. I looked at the Toshiba they had on display, along with several others, and decided on the Toshiba.

After getting it set up, and enjoying watching it, I did some further Googling, and read that Hisense had bought-out Toshiba several years ago. So, I could have bought a Hisense, which I'd never heard of, and basically got the same thing as the Toshiba. I was kind of disappointed, but still liked the new Hisense/Toshiba flat screen TV.

Next, I decided I wanted a subwoofer for my TV sound system. I already had a VISIO sound bar, which I had been very well pleased with, and decided to get a subwoofer to compliment the system. I looked at some used, brand name subwoofers on FB Marketplace, but decided to buy a new brand I'd never heard of on Amazon that was really cheap. I forgot exactly what I paid, but was surprised at the low cost, including shipping. Maybe it's because I've never had a subwoofer before, but it performs flawlessly and I love it! I've had it almost a year and could not be more happy with it.

Sorry for the long post, but I think it just goes to show that SouthPark's statement above has a lot of truth to it, and could very well apply to DPs. When it comes to DPs, I'm more or less a Casio fan. The reason being is the same as the Toshiba TV. I've been more than pleased with the Casio DPs I've owned, and see no need to try other brands. Again, I'm kind of set in my ways, for better or worse.

Also, I've never fully bought-in to the idea/philosophy that "you always get what you pay for". That has not exactly worked for me on several occasions.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
R
R
What are you guys comparing this to.

The price I saw was 600$ US. You can't even compare it to a Roland FP90 at that price.

Seems pretty solid for what it is...Heck there was somebody paying that kind of money for a 10 year old DP not so long ago.

What else could you get new for 600$ US that would be better.

Not saying its a great piano, but I would not be expecting much for that price in any case.

Ron

Ron

BĂ–SENDORFER 280VC, Garritan Abbey Road Studios CFX, Auddict_Dorian_Marko, Ravenscroft275, Modern U, Noire, Bechstein Digital,The Grandeur, Lounge Lizard EP-4, 300_Grand_Compact, Pianoteq, Synthology_American_D
S
S

Unfortunately, 9/10 times, it's 'buy cheap, buy twice'.

Buying something expensive doesn't necessarily correlate to high quality, but low price almost always correlates to low quality.

These days, I prefer to only spend money once, even if I end up overcompensating the other direction (and overspending) often as not.

This is also where stuff like 'expensive to be poor' comes from - if you're unfamiliar, read up on Terry Pratchett and the 'boot theory of socioeconomic unfairness'.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boots_theory

edit: I apologize, I seem to have drifted completely off topic.

Last edited by steamrick; 05/08/22 03:18 PM.

Kawai CA79
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano bench too uncomfortable
by lorez - 07/03/22 11:10 AM
Small high end grands
by AndreaH - 07/03/22 08:50 AM
Historial orchestral sight reading
by boo1234 - 07/03/22 08:23 AM
Buy: Kawai CN39, MP7SE w/mods, or Other?
by Azalingchan - 07/02/22 11:07 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,789
Posts3,205,137
Members105,706
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission