2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
70 members (AndreaH, axomas, anotherscott, 80k, Azalingchan, astrotoy, 3B43, Belger1900, 16 invisible), 4,510 guests, and 274 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
8000 Post Club Member

8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ebonyk
I'm registered for Eastman's Summer session!!! It runs from June 20 - Aug. 28th, I'm so excited!!

Awesome!

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment

8000 Post Club Member

8000 Post Club Member
And I decided not to bother with RCM exams, but to start the Eastman program in the Fall. Putting this off to try and get "more prepared" was a silly idea. I'm not getting any younger. Eastman will be the best place for me, they will teach me exactly what I need to know to pass their juries, I'll be taking theory classes there, collaborative piano classes, ear training, etc. I'm finishing up all of RCM 5 now, I just finished theory and I'm almost done with sight reading and ear training. By end of June I'll be solid and have 5 pieces at performance level. This is good enough. RCM 6 is the start of Eastman's Level 4, and they already told me I'll start wherever I am and not to worry about it.

Full steam ahead, I say!

This is even better news! I'm glad you decided to get right in. The program sounds flexible and ready to work with people at a variety of experience levels. No need to get "more" ready. It should work out fine. thumb

How to Upload Pictures

ebonyk Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha
Lisa, that is great! How nice not to bother with the RCM exams. You will grow so much as a pianist at Eastman!
Oh, I hope you're right! I really like the RCM syllabus, I actually think it's great, it helped me get my act together! I'm a little reticent, deciding to not take the exams (I may still do the theory exams, though). This is one major question I have for my new teacher: what is the best route for me to take?

Originally Posted by Retsacnal
This is even better news! I'm glad you decided to get right in. The program sounds flexible and ready to work with people at a variety of experience levels. No need to get "more" ready. It should work out fine. thumb

Life is short, I need to get going, LOL!!

Lisa
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645
ebonyk Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jethro
I've been assigned a teacher for the Summer, it's really happening, LOL!! Lorenzo Medel, here's his bio and Youtube! I'll have lessons on Thursdays, which is perfect because I'll be teaching a summer class on Tuesdays.

https://www.esm.rochester.edu/community/faculty/lorenzo-medel/

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJY37Y3zeG9-vajArOf6d7w
Here he is at 11 years of age. You have yourself one gifted pianist as a teacher. I'd love to hear in the future what has to teach you.

I know, I've been watching his videos in a state of incredulity, LOL!! I'll share all secrets!

Lisa
J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
I've been assigned a teacher for the Summer, it's really happening, LOL!! Lorenzo Medel, here's his bio and Youtube! I'll have lessons on Thursdays, which is perfect because I'll be teaching a summer class on Tuesdays.

Here he is at 11 years of age. You have yourself one gifted pianist as a teacher. I'd love to hear in the future what has to teach you.

I know, I've been watching his videos in a state of incredulity, LOL!! I'll share all secrets!
I am quite jealous. He is a super talent! I think he’s going to make a name for himself if not here in Asia and certainly in the Philippines. Learn all you can from him. This level of pianists can elevate your playing because they will share the secrets of the trade and the younger they are the more open they are to share and see their students with potential. They’re less likely to be set in their ways and when they will show you a more modern and efficient approach to playing the piano. They are less likely to be dogmatic and often made comments to me like, “oh that’s the old way of doing things we’re taught to what’s easier now”

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R

I am quite jealous. He is a super talent! I think he’s going to make a name for himself if not here in Asia and certainly in the Philippines. Learn all you can from him. This level of pianists can elevate your playing because they will share the secrets of the trade and the younger they are the more open they are to share and see their students with potential. They’re less likely to be set in their ways and when they will show you a more modern and efficient approach to playing the piano. They are less likely to be dogmatic and often made comments to me like, “oh that’s the old way of doing things we’re taught to what’s easier now”
The video is 14 years old. He is about 25 now and I believe is doing a doctorate in piano.

To be honest, he's very talented, but I don't see him as a super talent when compared to famous concert pianists in terms of the level of rarity.

J
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
J
He’s not a world class pianist but he’s beyond the caliber of most run of the mill piano teachers. This does not mean he’s a great teacher though in fact he’s still learning but asking the right questions from someone like him can be very enlightening.

ebonyk Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I only mentioned that he's my new teacher, I don't want to get in to critiquing him, please and thank you, LOL. smile

Lisa
R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
He’s not a world class pianist but he’s beyond the caliber of most run of the mill piano teachers. This does not mean he’s a great teacher though in fact he’s still learning but asking the right questions from someone like him can be very enlightening.
I just read the thread and I'm very jealous. I remember watching that video 6 years ago and rewatching it several times, and it's strange how these things come full circle.

ebonyk Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Got an email this morning, I now have a University of Rochester student ID! I set up a whole online account, I am officially a student of the Eastman School of Music at the University of Rochester!!! I had no idea it was going to be this formal and official! I get the same student ID card as anyone else, this is just so amazing, I can't believe I can do this!

Lisa
ebonyk Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ranjit
I just read the thread and I'm very jealous. I remember watching that video 6 years ago and rewatching it several times, and it's strange how these things come full circle.
Life can be SO amazing!

Lisa
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Got an email this morning, I now have a University of Rochester student ID! I set up a whole online account, I am officially a student of the Eastman School of Music at the University of Rochester!!! I had no idea it was going to be this formal and official! I get the same student ID card as anyone else, this is just so amazing, I can't believe I can do this!

You will probably use that card to get access to practice rooms and labs - that's why you need the card. Everything is done with key cards now - they even kept track of attendance at recitals and concerts that way at my school. (We were required to attend so many performances every semester)

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
ebonyk Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Yep, Sam, it's to open all the doors, LOL! That's pretty cool if they can keep track of attendance, too.

Lisa

8000 Post Club Member

8000 Post Club Member

Cool! thumb

How to Upload Pictures

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member

You can Lisa! It is so nice to read how happy and excited you are.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
ebonyk Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha

You can Lisa! It is so nice to read how happy and excited you are.
It’s a dream come true. 🙏❤️

Lisa
ebonyk Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I did my pre-placement tests, and they are putting me in Theory 2 and Aural Skills 2! 👍😊

Lisa
ebonyk Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
So after talking to my teacher, it looks like I'll be doing all my classes and my lesson on Saturdays for the first year. That works out perfectly! I'll be taking History of Western Music, Theory 2, Aural Skills 2, and my weekly lessons. In April 2023 I'll be playing my first jury, level 4. If I pass that jury, I'll be taking more theory and aural skills classes, plus collaborative piano. smile

In my second year, I'll almost definitely be commuting twice a week, as the collaborative piano class is on Mondays and the Aural/Theory 3 class is on Thursdays. Then I can move my lesson day to one of those. I'll also have to move the class I teach to a different day, but it'll work out, I'll just be really busy, LOL.

Lisa
ebonyk Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Registered for Fall yesterday! I'm indeed doing everything on Saturdays so that worked out well. It's kind of a relief to know my schedule for the next year now. I also had lots of time to walk around and check out the campus and the area. Java's Cafe was nice, I had lunch there. Great chai!

Not much going on, just finishing up some pieces and getting ready for the summer session. I have about 3 more lessons with my local teacher and I'm kind of sad about leaving her. She's my biggest cheerleader, though, and has been so encouraging and excited about me going into this program, it's been very heartening. I've downloaded the Functional Ear Trainer app for the long commutes. Might as well do something musical while I'm driving, LOL.

Lisa
E
EPW Offline
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Have fun in your new endeavor 😃

All these years playing and I still consider myself a novice.
Page 8 of 14 1 2 6 7 8 9 10 13 14

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano bench too uncomfortable
by lorez - 07/03/22 11:10 AM
Small high end grands
by AndreaH - 07/03/22 08:50 AM
Historial orchestral sight reading
by boo1234 - 07/03/22 08:23 AM
Buy: Kawai CN39, MP7SE w/mods, or Other?
by Azalingchan - 07/02/22 11:07 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,789
Posts3,205,137
Members105,706
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission