2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
85 members (8ude, 36251, Animisha, B3boy, ada d., anotherscott, 13bwl, 14 invisible), 645 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3212967 05/01/22 03:15 AM
R
OP Offline
R
Some of you know that I am building a web page with free sheet music for piano of known and unknown classical masters. Every now and then I dare to add some music of my own. Recently I thought it would be a nice idea to add a temporary free composition every month. In May 2022 it is Spring Forest, from the album Content (100 compositions for piano).

I don't know how long I will keep doing this. I don't even know what I will choose the next month, but as long as it is there, grab it while you can, pdf and mp3.

All the free pieces will be intermediate level, so a beginner might have some trouble with it, but I'll try to keep it simple. A long time ago I offered more advanced music, almost nobody downloaded the pdf. Then I offered a simple piano album for children, Nicole Melanie (also on the free page) and the downloads started. I guess it's to be expected.

The Four Seasons - Spring Forest

Have fun. And if you're not interested in my music, there's lots of music on that page from dead composers.

Last edited by Rowy van Hest; 05/01/22 03:16 AM.

Free online Music Theory Tools made by me.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
K
K
Very cute piece Rowy!

M
M
Hi, Rowy.
Sorry! Your piece doesn't seem to play for me. Not even in the 'Music-for-piano.html' page, where it is also to be found. Curiously, the rest of pieces on the page do perform (except Couperin's prelude in C major, for some reason). I've downloaded it and it didn't work either (Mac OS), although when I opened it with VLC at last it played. But it has many glitches (many stops). Maybe that's the reason?. It puzzles me that seemingly Kalos Piano had no problem with it.

P-515
M
M
In any case the piece seems to be nice and fun enough. Thanks for posting!

P-515
C
C
Originally Posted by mydp
Hi, Rowy.
Sorry! Your piece doesn't seem to play for me. Not even in the 'Music-for-piano.html' page, where it is also to be found. Curiously, the rest of pieces on the page do perform (except Couperin's prelude in C major, for some reason). I've downloaded it and it didn't work either (Mac OS), although when I opened it with VLC at last it played. But it has many glitches (many stops). Maybe that's the reason?. It puzzles me that seemingly Kalos Piano had no problem with it.

I had the exact same thing happened. Downloaded it wants to open in books on Mac OS where it doesn't play. With VLC it plays but like a scratched record.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Playing nicely on my computer. It sounds great. You have very good timing and feel rowy. Lively and very appealing.

R
OP Offline
R
Hi, Rowy.

That is strange. Maybe because it is an aac, but that is an Apple format and you are using Mac OS. I don't get it. I use Windows 10 and Edge on a laptop and I have no problems. In any case, thanks for the warning. I'm going to change all the aac files to mp3. Give me a few hours. I'd appreciate it if you'd let me know if it works. Something else might be the problem.

Btw, Couperin's prelude is an mp3. No problems there either. It's so strange.

Last edited by Rowy van Hest; 05/02/22 02:30 AM.

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Kalos Piano
Very cute piece Rowy!

Thank you, Kalos. No problem with the aac-format? I changed it to mp3 by now. On what system did you listen to the file?

Last edited by Rowy van Hest; 05/02/22 02:57 AM.

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by SouthPark
Playing nicely on my computer. It sounds great. You have very good timing and feel rowy. Lively and very appealing.

Thank you, Kalos. I would like to know on what system you listened to the file. I changed aac to mp3, but I still would like to know why some are having problems with the aac-format. And would you be so kind to listen to Couperin's Prelude? Does it sound okay to you? You'll find it here: free stuff. It's under the heading '12 Preludes by 12 Composers'.

Last edited by Rowy van Hest; 05/02/22 03:01 AM.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Rowy .... kalos is the other member. But I can mention that the 12 preludes 12 composers audio played just fine automatically on the latest firefox browser in windows 10 system.

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by SouthPark
Rowy .... kalos is the other member. But I can mention that the 12 preludes 12 composers audio played just fine automatically on the latest firefox browser in windows 10 system.

Yeah, sorry about that. Thank you for checking out. I'm going to keep using mp3. I don't trust that aac anymore.

M
M
Hi. Now the page works as intended. I’ve heard your prelude, which is beautiful, albeit short. The Couperin prelude now sounds properly as well. I even went to see your line art at Deviant Art.
In the first post of this thread you mention “more advanced music” (of yours, I suppose), but I don’t seem to be able to find it in your web page.

P-515
K
K
I used safari on my Mac, not sure what program is used to play the music... in any case I just clicked on the name of the piece and it played without any issues, same for couperin's prelude

R
OP Offline
R
Hi. Now the page works as intended. I’ve heard your prelude, which is beautiful, albeit short. The Couperin prelude now sounds properly as well. I even went to see your line art at Deviant Art.
In the first post of this thread you mention “more advanced music” (of yours, I suppose), but I don’t seem to be able to find it in your web page.

Hi, mydp, thanks for checking out my work. I'm glad the page works as intended. I don't use aac anymore. It is safer to use mp3. My advanced work is not on the internet. I wrote that a long time ago, when there was no internet and no notation software. Those were the days smile I think I still have the scores somewhere. One day, when I have passed away, it will be published and I will probably become famous. Why, people will cry, why didn't she publish this cry

Of course I am joking. My advanced work was interesting (according to my professor), but I didn't like it. Over the years, I have come to the conclusion that I just want to feel good. And that happens if I keep it small, understandable and melodic. I also like to finish a composition within two hours. After that, I don't enjoy it any more. Perhaps I am a bit lazy. Maybe that's why I taught music. I let the students do all the work, while I tried to appear intelligent crazy

What about you? Still in the grip of the sacred fire?

Last edited by Rowy van Hest; 05/02/22 01:47 PM.

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Kalos Piano
I used safari on my Mac, not sure what program is used to play the music... in any case I just clicked on the name of the piece and it played without any issues, same for couperin's prelude

I'm glad that problem has been solved. Thanks, Kalos.

M
M
Haha… unfortunately I think “sacred fire” is too big a word for me. I reckon people like Schumann (I love Schumann) did burn themselves in that fire. Maybe that’s the reason he went mad in the end…
As for me, I just try to write a beautiful piece. I haven’t so far, and that keeps me going. It’s not easy, because I tend to like complex music and didn’t study composition. I am partly self taught.
I think you may have the tools and wits to write beautiful pieces (other that small children pieces), but you’d need surely more than two hours. if I haven’t misunderstood you, you may have given up. Is that so?

P-515
R
OP Offline
R
Haha… unfortunately I think “sacred fire” is too big a word for me. I reckon people like Schumann (I love Schumann) did burn themselves in that fire. Maybe that’s the reason he went mad in the end…
As for me, I just try to write a beautiful piece. I haven’t so far, and that keeps me going. It’s not easy, because I tend to like complex music and didn’t study composition. I am partly self taught.
I think you may have the tools and wits to write beautiful pieces (other that small children pieces), but you’d need surely more than two hours. if I haven’t misunderstood you, you may have given up. Is that so?

No no no, I have not given up. It may sound a bit presumptuous, but it's because I am a skilled composer, or scholared - I don't know the right English word for it. Let's just say that I spent a lot of time in the restaurant of the conservatoire. And the bar nearby. So I gained a lot of knowledge. I also analyzed tons of music compositions in all possible styles. And one of my hobbies was collecting antique books on music theory. All of which I read, of course. Some of them I even understood.

The result is that I can do anything I want, when I want to. Music is just something to keep me busy. I haven't given up, but I don't feel the urge either. As an amateur composer, or a beginner, you can get excited at the idea of trying a 4-part fugue, for example. I already know I can do that. All composers with an academic education can do that. You sit down, start writing and after a while it's done. There is no surprise. It's almost like work.

However, I am retired and I have to keep myself busy. So, I probably write some complicated music, just to avoid watching daytime TV. I haven't given up, but I realize now that I might sound a bit jaded. You probably sensed that.

M
M
… don’t know what to say…
One thing is being consumed in the ‘sacred fire’ and another very different is to write music to avoid watching tv. That sounds a bit jaded.

I normally consider that I will be able to someday write a piece I am satisfied with. I know that I will probably die before I manage to do it, but the point is to learn and discover, and slowly approach that day, while you enjoy yourself.

But I guess that works for a hobbyist like me. What I get from your post is that, as a professional musician, you see music as a work to cope with rather than, like Schumann poetically put it, a garden where to roam about and cut only the best flowers. But at the same time, you state that you haven’t given up. I hope you haven’t.

Sorry if I don’t explain myself better. By no means would I want to hurt your feelings, or anyone’s. English is neither my first language. All this began because I was looking for that piece in your web page and couldn’t find it.

P-515
R
OP Offline
R
Sorry if I don’t explain myself better. By no means would I want to hurt your feelings, or anyone’s. English is neither my first language. All this began because I was looking for that piece in your web page and couldn’t find it.

Try one of the other pages smile

Last edited by Rowy van Hest; 05/03/22 10:09 AM.

S
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Rowy van Hest
And would you be so kind to listen to Couperin's Prelude? Does it sound okay to you? You'll find it here: free stuff. It's under the heading '12 Preludes by 12 Composers'.

I forgot to respond to that. It sounds not just ok - but sounds great to me. Your timing is really good, plus other playing qualities. Very nicely played.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Live Performance via MS Teams?
by Piano World - 08/09/22 11:45 AM
Info on Bernhard Stopper's TUNIC software products
by Daniel Stopper - 08/09/22 07:57 AM
Roland V-Piano vs Pure Accoustic
by overthinker - 08/09/22 06:41 AM
Alternative to replacing hammer felts?
by chopin_r_us - 08/09/22 04:36 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,308
Posts3,214,994
Members106,041
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission