2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
68 members (Barly, 1957, Animisha, bobrunyan, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 13 invisible), 1,916 guests, and 358 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
T
Donner DDP-80:

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Is that pedal on the floor connected via bluetooth or something?

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by SouthPark
Is that pedal on the floor connected via bluetooth or something?

Looks more like the keyboard is just out of the box unplugged. In another review blog found a picture with black wires behind the keyboard to satisfy our curiosity...
picture

The wires do look a bit messy. Guess by adding a vertical board hanging down in the middle would hide the wires behind.

S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
Thanks TP416! Interesting! Hopefully that block is heavy enough - otherwise, they might need to do something to stop it from moving around when somebody uses the pedals. On tiled floors, double-sided tape would work nicely. On carpet floor, they probably need to add a plastic mat or something ----- if they need to use double-sided tape.

T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
T
Having a portable pedals unit would be nice for busking in public but playing at home people would want the pedals secured. The designers should put a vertical board hanging down to secure the pedals to the keyboard so that it wouldn't move.

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Interesting find. I ordered one immediately. We're moving and there's no room for my NV5 in the new living room. But since my wife wants a piano there, this is almost perfect. It also fits in with the rest of the furniture. Whether the sound is good or it plays well is incidental.

I'll try it out when it arrives and report back on how it plays.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
C
8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
C
There is one comment against that video that makes me pause:

Marco Mugnatto 5 hours ago (edited)

They could put a better sample. I mean, it sounds good but it's clearly only one layer of velocity, changing only the volume between the piano and the forte.

Jeremy has put a heart on that comment.

But Jeremy also talks about "multi-samples" -- which usually means different samples of the same note, played at different velocities.

The legs look spindly, and there are no videos, yet, of someone attempting the Hammerklavier to test them. EDIT - the legs are metal, not wood.

The power adapter is rated at 12 volts, 3 amps. So it _cannot_ support 2 channels @ 25 watts per channel, which is what Jeremy says the amps and speakers will achieve.

As a departure from established norms of low-priced DP appearance, it's really nice.

Last edited by Charles Cohen; 04/26/22 01:04 AM.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / Roland Gaia / Pianoteq
A
A
They suggest a hammer action similar to the VPC1 or MP11 . In fact, it is a folded plastic action.

https://donnerde.com/products/donner-e-piano-88-tasten-ddp-80

Kawai VPC1, Nektar Impact GXP61+88
Past: "Fazer" acoustic piano, Yamaha P120, Roland JV90, M-audio and Novation Midi Keyboards
other instruments: electric and acoustic violins, Wal custom 4 string e-bass, Sire V7 fretless e-bass, Musser vibraphone
Software: Logic Pro
K
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by aphexdisklavier
They suggest a hammer action similar to the VPC1 or MP11 . In fact, it is a folded plastic action.

https://donnerde.com/products/donner-e-piano-88-tasten-ddp-80

that image looks like roland's pha4. I doubt they'd even clone that action, probably just borrowed that image for advertising.

K
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
The power adapter is rated at 12 volts, 3 amps. So it _cannot_ support 2 channels @ 25 watts per channel, which is what Jeremy says the amps and speakers will achieve.

They're probably using peak instead of rms, it's likely in line. The adapters are also likely not 12v, they're probably 14-15v, but dip to 12v on high load

P
Pianist685
Unregistered
Pianist685
Unregistered
P
Hmm, one should not expect too much of such a cheap digital piano. The built-in piano sound does not convince me at all. And there is no possibility to add reverb (see review). The guy in the video says, it might serve as a VPC. How good is the action, then, and what is the quality of the MIDI output? There is a detailed review of this instrument: Review Donner DDP80

K
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
K
according to az, it's an ~18cm key, the design honestly looks pretty ok, az's opinion is biased against the off brands though, they're really hating on the action, even though most other pianos have uneven weight between black and white keys.

Last edited by KawaFanboi; 04/26/22 10:08 AM.
S
S
The donner website seems to be down?

The guy in the video is being far too nice. The foot unit is color-matched? Really?
What he means is that it's uniformly [censored] colored. Even Noctua's polarizing beige/brown color scheme is better than that.

Perhaps I'm overly focussed on one particular point, but I experienced a full-body shudder when I saw an image of that food pedal unit.

Kawai CA79
T
3000 Post Club Member
OP Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
T
The keyboard looks great when the wires at the back are not plugged in. There are Roland keyboards you can close the cover half way to hide the buttons. Roland is a more reliable brand. Paying less means the company have to cut corners somewhere.

A year ago bought a cheap folding keyboard for traveling. The online description claims the action is similar to a real piano with a picture of metal weights on the keys. Once unboxed, the key action feels like cheap plastic. Don't think the keys are touch-sensitive either.

Can't comment on something I haven't tried at home or in a store besides going by online reviews. It's possible Jeremy See has a friend who is a dealer for Donner and he is helping to promote them to his students.

If JS put the Donner keyboard next to an acoustic piano or a high-end keyboard for comparison, some of the claims would be more credible. Just hearing him play a few songs would bring up more questions.

K
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
K
Originally Posted by thepianoplayer416
Can't comment on something I haven't tried at home or in a store besides going by online reviews. It's possible Jeremy See has a friend who is a dealer for Donner and he is helping to promote them to his students.

If JC put the Donner keyboard next to an acoustic piano or a high-end keyboard for comparison, some of the claims would be more credible. Just hearing him play a few songs would bring up more questions.

are you saying JeremyS is compromised and selling out ? cool his playing skills in his reviews do sound a bit like he didn't practice, not terrible, but rusty.

Last edited by KawaFanboi; 04/26/22 11:38 AM.
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by KawaFanboi
The adapters are also likely not 12v, they're probably 14-15v, but dip to 12v on high load

Very unlikely. You are probably thinking of transformer based supplies, but these days switched power bricks are very cheap and very accurate, voltage wise. They may even meet safety and EMC requirements without extra cost, if properly designed.

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
S
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
S
True. The ac/dc adapter will be the voltage-regulated type of supply. It is designed to maintain 12 volt dc under normal operating conditions.

Also ..... true. That 25 watt per channel is likely the marketing pmpo quantity. Eg. 25 watt peak music power output per channel. Halving it should give maybe an approximate value for rated average power .... such as 12.5 watt per channel.

As an ex keyboard and software reviewer I can say that JS fits my expectations for honesty and diplomacy. The brown Donner unit with matching pedal and temporarily hidden cables doesn't fool me either, but I think JS is still right in implying that this is enough piano (and aesthetics) for many people's needs. Mischeivously, I imagine a scenario with parent and child squabbling over whether the cables should always be tidied away, or the pedal unit wandering off while nobody is watching.

Yamaha P-255 Yamaha P-121 & Yamaha P80

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,386
Posts3,349,204
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission