2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
37 members (Burkhard, busa, 80k, Carey, CraiginNZ, Bebe1980, Deltajockey, David B, Bett, 6 invisible), 4,553 guests, and 733 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
M
What is the reason for trying a 5 against 3 trill? It's a very strange polyrhythm. Very confusing. Surely harder than playing it as written? I really don't think fast trills are the way to learn polyrhythms as you need a slow piece to do this .

I though long trills are normally slightly slower at beginning at end but you reach full speed quickly and maintain that. If you are playing fast maybe going into full speed straight away might work. I don't think playing trills are hard, it's just playing them whilst also playing something else going on. Invention 4 is easier with a long trill so you may want to try that. I could just play it by playing very slowly so I'm not sure the difficulty but as I said I learnt the piece and then added the ornaments in afterwards. My teacher wasn't focused on them tbh so I'm not sure super important if you need to adapt it.

Where are the trills in the Mozart? I listened to the start and heard none

Last edited by Moo :); 04/06/22 03:39 PM.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
M
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
M
Beethoven even

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by dusty1920
I still want to be able to play 3 against 2, 5 against 3 trills, etc.. when they're called for.
Actually, they're never called for.

As you are a learner, I suggest you should pick your battles carefully: ditch all irrelevant ones and concentrate on the ones that are essential or make a difference to your playing of classical music. The ability to play unmeasured trills - and dissociate the trilling hand from the other at will and then rejoin again at any time, at a wide range of tempi - is totally essential. Practicing, and attempting to play them in some obscure polyrhythm: totally pointless.

No concert pianist ever attempts to play 5:3 trills. If it turns out (when you slow their video down to 1/8 speed and count) that's what is happening, or - much more likely - something close to, but not quite, what is happening, it's purely by chance. They have no idea how many twiddles they actually play, and will be flummoxed that anyone would actually count them. On another occasion, likely there will be slightly more or slightly fewer twiddles when they play the same long unmeasured trill. For instance, if they ate Dover sole (Horowitz's standard pre-concert meal, without which he cannot perform), they might well play a couple more twiddles, because they felt the influence of the Master on their trilling fingers........ wink

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
B
B
Originally Posted by Moo :)
Where are the trills in the Mozart? I listened to the start and heard none
Beethoven even
You need to listen to the whole movement. It's not that long, and well worth your time.

There are long chains of trills that go on until Ludwig reaches the heavens, before he descends back to terra firma. And Pollini plays them more inhumanly evenly than any other pianist, which is why I selected his video.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
D
OP Offline
D
What is the reason for trying a 5 against 3 trill? It's a very strange polyrhythm. Very confusing. Surely harder than playing it as written? I really don't think fast trills are the way to learn polyrhythms as you need a slow piece to do this .

As far as I understand, the trill is not written out. You use your creative license to play how it sounds best to you. And the 5 to 3 polyrhythm is exactly how Angela Hewitt plays it and the large majority of other professional recordings are either 5 to 3 or something very close to it. (Even if they come to it from a natural place, rather than plan it that way.) So it was just a matter of me trying to get away from the boring sounding 2 to 1 which nobody uses and which would be too fast anyway.

D
OP Offline
D
Bennevis, when you've got a point, you've got a point. I see what you're saying. Assuming I do play something close to 5 to 3, you are suggesting to arrive at it from an organic place rather than a calculated place. I will practice the exercise you suggested. Until I can do that successfully, I'll just keep this simple and play 2 to 1 for now so as to not get too bogged down in complicated polyrhythms.

And yes, I understand they're never "called for" by the composer, but I meant that to mean whenever I personally call for them. But that's irrelevant based on what you're saying anyway.

S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S

It is not really a polyrythm, it is just that the speed of the trill is independant from the other hand. The resulting is not necessarily exactly 5 to 3 and the idea is not to count but to adopt a speed that works with the nature of the piece, thats why it is unmeasured.

Blüthner model 6
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
I though long trills are normally slightly slower at beginning at end but you reach full speed quickly and maintain that. If you are playing fast maybe going into full speed straight away might work.

There are multiple variations. They can stay at the same speed, accelerate or slow down toward the end. Often times baroque trills have a stop on the main note, possibly followed by a termination suffix. You have several different ones in this version. As always the trill is there to enhance the melody, so the effect must be chosen accordingly. There isnt a hard rule that works all the time.

Blüthner model 6
I think many of the suggestions so far are needlessly and inappropriately complicated for someone at the level of playing Bach Inventions(even if one of the harder ones). Why not do a much easier 6:4 or 3:2 measured trill which I think is more straightforward and technically not too hard if one plays the invention slightly slower?

D
OP Offline
D
Thanks pianoloverus, that's not a bad thought. Here's what I'll probably do. I'll just practice the trill in a couple of simple calculated ways (2 to 1 and 3 to 2) first. Then separately, I'll experiment with this concept of hand independence and unmeasured trills, which I'll plan to implement in my pieces (or maybe even this piece) on down the line.

M
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
M
Originally Posted by bennevis
Originally Posted by dusty1920
5 to 3 might take some work since I've never tried that but it feels good to at least know what i'm striving for now.

I'll worry about unmeasured trills later once I have a solid grip on these calculated variants...
I suggest that you forget about trying to master 5:3 trills and just concentrate on playing even trills with one hand and something else - anything - in the other.

For instance, Twinkle, Twinkle in LH while playing a trill in RH (use C-D if your LH is playing in C major), then vice versa. Try to make sure both hands are playing their respective notes evenly. Then play other tunes in the 'free' hand. You'll know you've mastered the art of playing unmeasured trills (which you'll be needing all the rest of your piano life) when you can play anything that comes into your head with one hand while trilling perfectly with the other, and finishing that trill with a turn, landing with any note you fancy with the other hand.

Why, you might want to play Op.111 in due course - and where would you be without perfect trills? wink

Interestingly I was listening to beethoven bagatelle for options to learn. I finished learning one in b minor but I found one with epic long trills

D
OP Offline
D
I talked to Josh Wright (the Youtube teacher) about this passage and he recommended some similar advice to what has been mentioned here a couple of times. He agreed that most of the time unmeasured trills will sound better. He said he agrees with Graham Fitch that in the early stages of learning, practicing measured first is a good idea but that I will want to master the ability to freely trill in one hand while disassociating from the other hand. That will provide me the best sounding trill. So thanks everyone for chiming in. This has all been a big help and I finally understand trills.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I think I saw an etude for trills but I don't remember if it was by Burgmüller or Heller or someone else. It had one hand playing a melody and the other hand had 16th notes in a written out trill that eventually end up being a long unmeasured trill, and then it switches hands. Maybe someone knows the etude.

J
J
What exactly are you doing in the adult beginner's forum?
You're like the idiot older lady who enjoys doing her misbegotten attempts at figure skating in the morning, when the 6 year olds have their training.
It's not cute, it's annoying.
Again, this is the ADULT BEGINNER'S FORUM.
Jeez.

Founder - Owner - Host
6000 Post Club Member
Founder - Owner - Host
6000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by JohnnyIssieBangie
What exactly are you doing in the adult beginner's forum?
You're like the idiot older lady who enjoys doing her misbegotten attempts at figure skating in the morning, when the 6 year olds have their training.
It's not cute, it's annoying.
Again, this is the ADULT BEGINNER'S FORUM.
Jeez.

You're right Johnny,
And considering you are acting like a child you can now have a week off, use it to learn to act like a caring adult.

- Frank B.
Founder / Owner / Host
PianoWorld.com
www.PianoSupplies.com
Maple Street Music Shop
Find Us On:
Facebook.com/PianoWorldDotCom
www.youtube.com/PianoWorldDotCom
www.linkedin.com/in/pianoworld
My Keyboards:
Estonia L-190, Yamaha P-80, Harpsichord (kit), Bilhorn Telescope Organ c 1880, Antique Pump Organ, 1850 concertina, 3 digital pianos
-------------------------
It's Fun To Play the Piano ... PLEASE Pass It On!
Please invite every piano enthusiast you know to join our piano forums!

A
A
Originally Posted by Sidokar
I though long trills are normally slightly slower at beginning at end but you reach full speed quickly and maintain that. If you are playing fast maybe going into full speed straight away might work.

There are multiple variations. They can stay at the same speed, accelerate or slow down toward the end. Often times baroque trills have a stop on the main note, possibly followed by a termination suffix. You have several different ones in this version. As always the trill is there to enhance the melody, so the effect must be chosen accordingly. There isnt a hard rule that works all the time.

What a stunning performance of a gorgeous piece. I did not know that one, but it is in my book of Rameau's "Complete Works for Solo Keyboard". Guess what I'll be trying out tomorrow? grin Thanks for posting that link, Sidokar!

M
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
M
Thank you sidokar. I am not very familiar with baroque or long trills. I am actually learning a Bach invention with long trill (sinfonia 2). My teacher said how they write them out in the book should not be followed as in a performance it's an unmeasured trill. As I said before with the invention 12 I can't remember thinking at all about it and don't think I played it measured but it was interesting hearing people thoughts. I have to be honest though, Josh Wright is my least favourite pianist in the world so if he says unmeasured I definitely will be playing them unmeasured! shocked Good luck with the invention 12.

Last edited by Moo :); 04/19/22 12:02 AM.
M
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
M
I realised my mistake but can't edit my post. :P

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
Happy 4th!
Happy 4th of July
Happy 4th!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chord help
by Moo :) - 07/05/22 02:18 AM
Yamaha U3 or equivalent upright
by Tom Ryshka - 07/05/22 01:35 AM
A comparison of two very different pianos!
by Joseph Fleetwood - 07/04/22 02:17 PM
Home Studio Recordings on Bosendorfer 225
by James Gordon - 07/04/22 01:39 PM
Looking for good online piano course for beginner
by mwsheeler - 07/04/22 12:12 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,804
Posts3,205,429
Members105,714
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission