2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
79 members (80k, Belger1900, AndreaH, anotherscott, Animisha, 36251, axomas, Anevsky, BMKE, 13 invisible), 4,857 guests, and 254 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by kalli
Thanks again, all! I finally got my piano set up today, so let the fun begin!

That is awesome. Back in action!!!

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by marklings
The major impediment IMO is memory, not what it used o be; takes much longer to memorize anything now, short term memory clearly deteriorates with the age.

I read a post by some member that seemed very knowledgeable on the matter. He stated:

- It takes twice as much in terms of time to make the same progress at a later age. To get from level 4 to 5 takes a decent youngster 1 year, an over 60 will need 2 years

- In any case as an adult at some point you will hit a wall, you will never really get to the most difficult pieces, you would be stone walled at level 7 or 8 out of 10.

As much as this is frustrating I found it to be true for me. Kind of sad but does not take away the joy of playing and progressing.

M.
If you believe these things then they will be true for you, if you don't then the sky is the limit.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
The major impediment IMO is memory, not what it used o be; takes much longer to memorize anything now, short term memory clearly deteriorates with the age.

M.
Then why memorise ? Playing from the written music still needs some memory so you will still be exercising your little grey cells.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I want to join this thread and share my experience. I took lessons for a couple of years as a teenager, then played on my own for a few more years until the usual life obligations took precedence. I would say I was a lower intermediate of sorts, level around 3rd year of conservatory. But very keen on music as it has always been part of my life.

Then a 35 years interval. Retired and decided to get back to playing, with a proper teacher and all, now on the 5th year back.

I have reached and surpassed my younger level, I would say I am now a sound intermediate, playing Bach French suites, some of the easiest Chopin Waltz et cetera.

I read a post by some member that seemed very knowledgeable on the matter. He stated:

- It takes twice as much in terms of time to make the same progress at a later age. To get from level 4 to 5 takes a decent youngster 1 year, an over 60 will need 2 years

- In any case as an adult at some point you will hit a wall, you will never really get to the most difficult pieces, you would be stone walled at level 7 or 8 out of 10.

As much as this is frustrating I found it to be true for me. Kind of sad but does not take away the joy of playing and progressing.

M.

Accepting information from a poster that ‘appears knowledgeable’ is very short-sighted and self-limiting. Have you read any real evidence

that adults are stone walled at Grade 7-8? I don’t think so and it does not appear to be true around here. Don’t make limitations true for you by believing some stray comment.
I have found that when I thought I had reached a brick wall, I kept going and the brick wall disappeared.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
B
B

Hmmm, my good friend who started from zilch (and didn't know one end of the keyboard from another) at 60 is now playing at level 10. Granted, he's now about 10 years into lessons, but he didn't know he was supposed to hit a stone wall at level 7 (or whatever) because of his age, and neither did his teacher. In blissful ignorance of these matters, he kept getting better and better.....

But he has one definite advantage over you: he never tried to memorize any piece of music, because he never performed (and why memorize if you aren't performing in public - in fact, why memorize at all if you're an amateur, and only playing for your own pleasure?) so he never worried about whether his memory was going downhill (- I can attest that it isn't: his mind is still as sharp as a button).

As for me, at my very advanced age (too advanced to divulge cry), my memory is getting better and better: I can memorize long pieces more easily than I did ten years ago (- BTW, I perform from memory only because I have no page-turner). But that might also be because I started on my memorizing spree ten years ago, when I started performing for audiences....... smirk

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by bennevis
As for me, at my very advanced age (too advanced to divulge cry), my memory is getting better and better: I can memorize long pieces more easily than I did ten years ago (- BTW, I perform from memory only because I have no page-turner). But that might also be because I started on my memorizing spree ten years ago, when I started performing for audiences....... smirk
At 80 I think I might be a bit older than you, but am in a similar situation of only starting to memorise seriously about 5 years ago. And yes it is getting easier. That's what practice does.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Age & memory are frequent topics of discussion. Many including my parents assumed you need to start young. I'm close to retirement and think about the next pieces to learn than hitting a wall. Playing as brain exercise wouldn't matter if I'm at level 3 or 7.

My mother is in the 90s and still manages her finances. With a sharp mind can't convince her to get into piano with next to no experience at a young age.

I played violin in school and memorized my pieces for the 2 concerts held each year for the parents. My eyes would wander and lose my place on the sheet. When it comes to piano, a lot of learning is muscle memory. You repeat something many times and becomes automatic. Like the location of the convenience store nearby. You know how to get there but don't think about the exact address. You'd describe the store as being next to a bakery with a bookstore across the street and a traffic light at the intersection without saying it's at 900 Mill St. sort of thing. Like playing a piece without thinking about individual notes.

In a performance wouldn't matter if you read as long as you can get through your pieces. Once I attended a funeral. A friend of the family who was in Suzuki played from memory for his grandfather. Suzuki students are taught to memorize their Book 1 pieces that many would continue to play advanced pieces from memory. The funeral was over 10 years ago. I still remember the 4 pieces that were played (J Massenet Meditation of Thaïs, slow movement from the Beethoven Pathetique sonata, Bach Prelude in C from WTC Book 1 & Abide in Me) as if the service took place yesterday.

Last week I was in a second-hand store. There was an old piano on display. Sat down and played 2 pieces I learned recently without the sheet. With customers around it's the closest thing to playing on a public piano. I do carry PDFs of my music on my phone but don't usually read.

R
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
R
A lot has been written about memory. Look into research on how expert memorizers do it, what happens when it comes to the piano is very similar. I'm too tired to type it all out, but basically you form mental models eventually, and those facilitate quick memorization of relevant information. These schema allow you to quickly push something from your working memory to your long term memory.

R
R
I haven't had a multi-decade gap in my playing, but I have had stretches of a few years when I hardly played at all mixed with periods of time when I played regularly. The last year and a half I have played more than I ever have before. I'm not sure if I'm better than I was when I was younger and took lessons, but I don't think it matters. I greatly enjoy it and I'm learning new things. When I started playing regularly again one to two hours a day and teaching myself how to improvise I could feel my brain rewiring itself. I think playing piano is a great way to keep the aging brain healthy!

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I love these dreams that just don’t leave you despite a long haul journey through life…..

…I don’t have direct experience for what you are seeking, but I believe many of us are revisiting Joys in later stages of life and would love to rekindle them. I would set down your expectations of where you were, accept that it was a great experience then, and just focus on the NOW. Just pick up the piano, take some lessons to dust away some rusts and imaginary expectations of your abilities. You may be a lot better than you think and certainly many things will come back to you. Sure you are going to build up those neurons connecting your brain and hands, but your journey might be a lot easier than for those who are coming with zero experience.

It’s just fab you are back. It sounds like a confidence thing. At certain stage in life..you just let go of what was and do it for yourself. Love to hear your update …

I had a 'lay off' of over 40 years and started back about 2 yrs ago. I loved playing, but only took lessons for about 1.5 yrs...due to constant moving. I continue to play on my own, but stopped when life/career took over. I have a gorgeous GS-30 now, am taking lessons, and am putting the finishing touches on Beethoven's 3rd Mvt of The Tempest. Just learn, play and ENJOY! That is what I am doing. I wish I'd never stopped, but.....

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Unless you’re a child prodigy, anything you do today is probably better than what you did 30 years ago. Back then I couldn’t get through “Twinkle”. Yesterday I played “Happy B-day” for somebody which is already an accomplishment. All the years when my special day came up, nobody in the family who took music lessons ever played me the song.

We can learn from the past and at the same time move ahead into the future.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Beginner digital piano buying advice
by pianist2022 - 07/03/22 02:10 PM
Next Repertoire Pieces for my Student?
by RepertoireHunter - 07/03/22 01:58 PM
Piano bench too uncomfortable
by lorez - 07/03/22 11:10 AM
Small high end grands
by AndreaH - 07/03/22 08:50 AM
Historial orchestral sight reading
by boo1234 - 07/03/22 08:23 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,791
Posts3,205,155
Members105,708
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission