2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (clothearednincompo, crab89, JohnCW, Georg Z., David B, Fried Chicken, AlkansBookcase, 8 invisible), 1,163 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 13 of 32 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 31 32
M
M
I have another question, please. Is it possible to disable "local control" on FP-90X? Yamaha higher end digital pianos have this option so one can play external piano emulation (like Pianoteq) on internal speakers or with headphones without mixing internal and external sound. I could not find an explanation of this option for FP-90X anywhere

G
Online Content
G
Originally Posted by Michael Fur
I Is it possible to disable "local control" on FP-90X?
Yes, please have a look at the manual, page 28
https://static.roland.com/assets/media/pdf/FP-90X_60X_eng02_W.pdf

M
M
Georg Z., did you mean "Preventing Doubled Notes When Connected to a Sequencer (Local Control)"? I initially misunderstood this function, thinking that the keyboard will be completely disconnected (I use FP-90X as a MIDI controller). Thank you very much for your help

P
Purdyd Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Could you then please tell me why Roland FP-90X and LX705 use different piano models? How do they relate?

I don’t know. I expect it is because it is a stage piano or maybe just more recent.

Perhaps Roland customer service can provide some information.

Last edited by Purdyd; 03/12/22 02:05 PM.

FP-90x, PX-330
M
M
Just to share - I now use my Pianoteq Steinway D NY sound model with my Roland FP-90X. I use FP-90X audio system (either speakers or headphones). This way I have better and easier control of (superior) sound and good expansion options.

Michael

Just to share - I now use my Pianoteq Steinway D NY sound model with my Roland FP-90X. I use FP-90X audio system (either speakers or headphones). This way I have better and easier control of (superior) sound and good expansion options.

Michael

Just a quick question. Do u use Pianoteq on a computer and make 90x as a midi contorller? How about the sound output source e.g external speaker?
🙏

Subcribe my youtube channel for incoming LIVE piano with Vocal.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCfZgIIQ_P_iHfdHlQCF9tqA

God bless you and take care
P
Purdyd Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
Yes that sounds like what Michael is doing and using speakers or headphone on the fp-90x for output.

That is quite easy to do as the fp-x series supports midi and audio over usb. Just one usb cable.

It is also class compliant so you can used a tablet or phone or I imagine a raspberry pi.

Yamaha also has a number of keyboards supporting these features.

FP-90x, PX-330
[quote=Purdyd]Yes that sounds like what Michael is doing and using speakers or headphone on the fp-90x for output.

That is quite easy to do as the fp-x series supports midi and audio over usb. Just one usb cable.

It is also class compliant so you can used a tablet or phone or I imagine a raspberry pi.

Yamaha also has a number of keyboards supporting these features.[/quote
Thanks, i have a M1 macbook, i think i can use with my 90x. 🙏. Nice to know i dont need audio interface n externals speaks.

Last edited by Jojovan; 03/19/22 10:15 AM.

M
M
I was perhaps not clear enough:

I use my FP-90X as MIDI controller, I connect MIDI USB output to my Mac laptop running Pianoteq (my favourite model is Steinway D NY), choose Roland piano as output in Pianoteq, set "Local Control" on FP-90X to "Off" and it allows me to use either FP-90X's speakers (or headphone output) with Pianoteq sound. What I gain is a superior sound. It would be for digital pianos with either great amplification and speakers or soundboard.

M
M
Exactly. I do not need an audio interface. I used a small DAC or Scarlett Solo previously. I found the headphone output better on FP-90X than Scarlett (or the DAC). I do not need speakers and in case of another digital piano (with soundboard), there would be no monitor speaker that can compete with it. I also avoid clutter of cables and speaker placement issues.

I use my FP-90X as MIDI controller, I connect MIDI USB output to my Mac laptop running Pianoteq (my favourite model is Steinway D NY), choose Roland piano as output in Pianoteq, set "Local Control" on FP-90X to "Off" and it allows me to use either FP-90X's speakers (or headphone output) with Pianoteq sound. What I gain is a superior sound. It would be for digital pianos with either great amplification and speakers or soundboard.

Thanks. It's very helpful. You made me want to try pianoteq now!
Fast question: pianoteq is a standalone software right? So i do not need tp habe logic pro?

M
M
Originally Posted by Jojovan

Fast question: pianoteq is a standalone software right? So i do not need tp have logic pro?

It is indeed stand-alone. I recommend Standard version. There are more options for the sound than FP-90X's (and it is much more visual to test these options). I am exclusively using it now in a configuration, I described (I had it for more than a year but used less). Pianoteq requires less powerful computer to run on than any sampled models and allows for more tweaking.
I am thinking of getting a M1 computer or laptop (I use an old MacBook Air)

Last edited by Michael Fur; 03/30/22 02:31 PM.
Originally Posted by Jojovan

Fast question: pianoteq is a standalone software right? So i do not need tp have logic pro?

It is indeed stand-alone. I recommend Standard version. There are more options for the sound than FP-90X's (and it is much more visual to test these options). I am exclusively using it now in a configuration, I described (I had it for more than a year but used less). Pianoteq requires less powerful computer to run on than any sampled models and allows for more tweaking.
I am thinking of getting a M1 computer or laptop (I use an old MacBook Air)

Great sharing. Thanks again. 👍

_
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
_
> ... I do not need speakers and in case of another digital piano (with soundboard), there would be no monitor speaker that can compete with it. I also avoid clutter of cables and speaker placement issues.

It does avoid clutter. But I know FP90 speakers are pretty mediocre and I don't expect FP90X (or any other slab DP) to be much better in this regard. Upmarket furnitures usually do have better speakers, but mostly you can get even better sound with external monitors for less money. Don't get too hyped on soundboard, it is just one kind of a speaker, marketeers are good at twisting our brains.

P
Purdyd Offline OP
1000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
1000 Post Club Member
P
The internal speakers on slab or cabinet dps are perfectly fine for most people.

It is only when you get to gear forums that people obsess about well, gear.

One thing built in speakers soundboards do is give you a bit of a vibration at the keys that you don’t get with external monitors or headphones.

And of course there is the visual aspect and possibly even the safety aspect of having external monitors.

FP-90x, PX-330
M
M
Originally Posted by _sem_
> ... I do not need speakers and in case of another digital piano (with soundboard), there would be no monitor speaker that can compete with it. I also avoid clutter of cables and speaker placement issues.

It does avoid clutter. But I know FP90 speakers are pretty mediocre and I don't expect FP90X (or any other slab DP) to be much better in this regard. Upmarket furnitures usually do have better speakers, but mostly you can get even better sound with external monitors for less money. Don't get too hyped on soundboard, it is just one kind of a speaker, marketeers are good at twisting our brains.

I was not referring to FP-90X. Its speakers (and most other in Roland digital pianos below LX706) are not great. I meant high-end digital pianos, especially hybrids with soundboard.
By the way, I tried Yamaha HS5 and Adam speakers and they were not dramatically better than the ones in FP-90X.
Cone speakers are not that good for piano sound anyway (I have Monitor Audio speakers in my home audio system)

Last edited by Michael Fur; 03/31/22 11:05 AM.
_
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
_
> It is only when you get to gear forums that people obsess about well, gear.

Well that's were we are right now aren't we?
I should admit that I actually mostly use the FP90 with the built-in speakers, with the volume so low that it hardly matters what speakers (during daytime I can use the AU). But I know the built-in speakers are mediocre, because sometimes I connect it to my bookshelf speakers (nowhere close to high end) and the sound is substantially better. And my old HD545 sound even better (but I get uncomfortable with any headphones after a while). Mind the differences in this range are in fact much more substantial than the fine details between their $20k and $30k setup audiophiles may discuss at lengths, almost anybody can hear them.
Regarding the vibration of the keys, it can be arranged with a speaker or a subwoofer attached to the keyboard. A sub is also often required for good deep bass, if one doesn't mind annoying the neighbours.
I'm not saying upmarket DPs don't sound reasonably well - merely that one can mostly get better sound for the price difference with external speakers (there is much tougher competition on the speaker market than on the DP market). And that a soundboard isn't essential.
I surely do acknowledge the visual aspect smile

M
M
Just a short observation. I realized today (a bit late) that Kawai CA79/99 digital pianos do not have "Transmitting/receiving audio data (USB Audio Interface function)" or "Local Control" options.
I have been so far happy with Roland but I already know that when it comes to any future upgrades (to have a better action, perhaps in a hybrid piano) I can only look at Yamaha.

G
Online Content
G
Just a short observation. I realized today (a bit late) that Kawai CA79/99 digital pianos do not have "Transmitting/receiving audio data (USB Audio Interface function)" or "Local Control" options.
I have been so far happy with Roland but I already know that when it comes to any future upgrades (to have a better action, perhaps in a hybrid piano) I can only look at Yamaha.
Kawai CA79/CA99 of course have local control...
Look here, page 5:
https://www.kawai-global.com/data/manuals/cax9/CA99_CA79_MIDI_Settings_Manual_EN_R100.pdf

M
M
Originally Posted by Georg Z.
Kawai CA79/CA99 of course have local control...
Look here, page 5:
https://www.kawai-global.com/data/manuals/cax9/CA99_CA79_MIDI_Settings_Manual_EN_R100.pdf

Yes, I saw it but it is only for MIDI signal (I was originally looking at the manual). I was not precise in my post. It definitely does not have USB Audio Interface. Are you saying that I could use Kawai digital piano the same way I use FP-90X? Please clarify. Thank you

Page 13 of 32 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 31 32

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission