2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
91 members (Abdol, anamnesis, 8ude, Adem, Alex C, 80k, Andre R., AJB, 20 invisible), 625 guests, and 320 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
P
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
P
So, if I am wrong on the supposition that it is a just interval, then in fact temperament would have nothing to do with it...only that various forms of temperament would change the relative sounds of chromatic semitones played together (we do know there is a difference between a diatonic semitone and a chromatic one at least...technically).

Otherwise, I do agree with what BDB said, and this should be true of all beating intervals in the piano simply to the degree they have beats. The speed of the beating determines whether it is perceived by the ear/brain as a tone (as in difference tone) or as dissonance (harshness).

I still think that the OP is hearing the dissonance more clearly as a result of tuning it and removing a large portion of garbage.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Last edited by P W Grey; 03/27/22 05:02 PM.

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Just enter Wikipedia Semitone.

Opus2021 why not go back to Forsyths to hear what the semitones sound like on other pianos?Ask them to explain why the various intervals sound as they do.

Temperament is for another day

Ian Russell
Schiedmayer & Soehne, 1925 Model 14, 140cm
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Opus2021
I kind of understand that yes. And it only happens with 2 keys togethe/legato without sustain also.
And so you think this is how it should sound like?

That is right - this is what it should sound like. This is not a mechanical thing in the piano - this is a basic phenomenon of physics when you have two notes differing slightly in pitch.

It is interesting that the effect is so very clear with your piano. Peter Grey may be right that this is because you have just had the piano tuned.

Which is the piece where this bothers you? Could you perhaps photograph the bars concerned in the score and post them, so we can see the context?

Last edited by David-G; 03/27/22 05:34 PM.
B
BDB Offline
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
If the piano was slightly out of tune before, the slight differences in the strings would blur the phenomenon to make it less apparent.

Semipro Tech
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by BDB
If the piano was slightly out of tune before, the slight differences in the strings would blur the phenomenon to make it less apparent.

That is probably true of my piano when I tried it.

A
A
Originally Posted by BDB

Similar thing happens when pedal is depressed and many other strings are resonating symphatetically having slightly off frequencies due to inharmonicity, temperament etc...

P
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
P
Opus,

Additionally, when you played it an octave higher the "wobbling" was twice as fast (approx) and another octave higher made it 4 or more times as fast (as the first one) causing it to be perceived more as a pitch rather than a wobble. If you play it an octave lower than originally it would beat half as fast (approx) more like a pulsation. The math behind this is quite simple.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Opus2021
I kind of understand that yes. And it only happens with 2 keys togethe/legato without sustain also.
And so you think this is how it should sound like?

As the composer intended.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
D
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
D
I made a YouTube video to demonstrate the effect of aural 'beats'. Two sources playing a 440Hz tone were recorded together, with one of them gradually increasing in frequency until it is at 460Hz, and then brought back down again.

I think the Opus2021's Schimmel piano sounds beautifully clear and clean and as others have suggested, this may be why the beats are so clear. It's not a fault!

It might help Opus2021 to try slowly playing major thirds, starting with C3-E3 and ascending. Compare the 'beats' with major fifths, starting C3-G3 ascending. The difference between rapid beating intervals and slow beating intervals should be clear. Also on that nice clear piano, it should be easy to hear that C4-E4 beats twice as fast as C3-E3.

Last edited by David Boyce; 03/28/22 08:24 AM.
M
M
Originally Posted by P W Grey
You need to research the science behind "temperament" and specifically "equal temperament". I think you will get your answer there.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

A semitone is dissonant whatever the temperament. Harmony would be a more appropriate research topic.

P
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by Mr Dibbs
You need to research the science behind "temperament" and specifically "equal temperament". I think you will get your answer there.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

A semitone is dissonant whatever the temperament. Harmony would be a more appropriate research topic.

Yes I think that has been shown satisfactorily at this point. Sorry for any "misdirection" on this issue. Nonetheless, I think the OP would benefit from some research in to why pianos sound as they do and what is involved in tuning them. He appeared to be completely oblivious to the concept of beats (as are a high % of pianists) and would do well to expand his knowledge base in this area.

Nonetheless I acknowledge the fact that the specific interval under discussion in fact is not a temperament issue. If the question was concerning any other interval in the scale (e.g. "why does this M3rd seem to pulsate like this..."), it would be.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Last edited by P W Grey; 03/28/22 10:33 AM.

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
Well put Peter. It seemed the OP was not expecting any interval to pulsate nor to sound awful. Beats, temperament, dissonance and harmony are part and parcel of the pianos Forsyths purvey.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
P
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
P
When I'm tuning I hear like a tuner...beats beats beats. After I rest for about ten minutes and come back to play, I hear like a musician...not so much in the beats department...I hear relationships, harmony, dissonance...all that good stuff. I have to think to hear beats. Yes I know they're there but I don't hear them like when I'm tuning (unless of course I did a lousy job...LOL!)

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I find it difficult to be believe that the piano was designed this way.Although it is not a model from higher lines, the Wilhelm Schimmel is a respected model.The pianist Joe Fleetwood reviewed a Wilhelm Schimmel grand on Piano Buyer.I realise you people are professional people, it is just difficult to believe.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mr Dibbs

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Yes I think that has been shown satisfactorily at this point. Sorry for any "misdirection" on this issue. Nonetheless, I think the OP would benefit from some research in to why pianos sound as they do and what is involved in tuning them. He appeared to be completely oblivious to the concept of beats (as are a high % of pianists) and would do well to expand his knowledge base in this area.

Nonetheless I acknowledge the fact that the specific interval under discussion in fact is not a temperament issue. If the question was concerning any other interval in the scale (e.g. "why does this M3rd seem to pulsate like this..."), it would be.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor
Thank heavens! I tried this on my piano, I do not quite hear that extent of vibrating.Some yes, not what I would consider abnormal.Its not exactly a nice interval when it is sustained .I now am wondering if I should record it and listen to it.Actually it has been tuned on this past Friday.

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.In other words a hymn.That is all, but that is enough.Life goes on, despite pain and fear.Music is beautiful,life is beautiful.

P
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
P
What is the specific music under investigation here? How long is this dissonant combination supposed to be held in context?

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by tre corda
I find it difficult to be believe that the piano was designed this way.Although it is not a model from higher lines, the Wilhelm Schimmel is a respected model.The pianist Joe Fleetwood reviewed a Wilhelm Schimmel grand on Piano Buyer.I realise you people are professional people, it is just difficult to believe.

This reads as though you would have expected a properly designed, respected model of piano not to exhibit beating semitones.

As has already been described and illustrated in this thread, a semitone will always beat, especially noticeably in the mid-range,
... even more so if the fundamentals of the two notes are strong
... and on an instrument with multiple strings, pipes, etc. on each note, even more so if those strings, pipes etc. are properly tuned as a clean unison.

This goes for any instrument or tone generator, regardless of its design. One can demonstrate the same semitone beating on a violin (or in the example shown in this thread, a viola), organ, two tuning forks, etc. I don't see anything to "believe" about any "design".

Autodidact interested in piano technology.
1922 49" Zimmermann, project piano.
1970 44" Ibach, daily music maker.
N
N W Online Content
Online Content
N
Originally Posted by Mark R.
Originally Posted by tre corda

This reads as though you would have expected a properly designed, respected model of piano not to exhibit beating semitones.

As has already been described and illustrated in this thread, a semitone will always beat, especially noticeably in the mid-range,
... even more so if the fundamentals of the two notes are strong
... and on an instrument with multiple strings, pipes, etc. on each note, even more so if those strings, pipes etc. are properly tuned as a clean unison.

This goes for any instrument or tone generator, regardless of its design. One can demonstrate the same semitone beating on a violin (or in the example shown in this thread, a viola), organ, two tuning forks, etc. I don't see anything to "believe" about any "design".
Which is what I was getting at when I asked the OP to play another pair of semitones next to his "problem" ones. I was totally ignored...

Nick, ageing piano technician
W
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
W
... but it seems the OP had left the room with Ambozy's by then.

Last edited by Withindale; 03/30/22 06:44 AM.

Ian Russell
Ibach, 1905 F-IV, 235cm
P
5000 Post Club Member
Online Content
5000 Post Club Member
P
Yes, and it is also conceivable that the tuner tuned in such a way as to (unintentionally) make THAT interval (if you want to call it an interval) stand out different from other like intervals.

And then there's acoustics...

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Music theory - Key identification
by Animisha - 07/06/22 11:21 AM
Yamaha P-125 String Resonance
by Petzold - 07/06/22 09:50 AM
Piano saver system? does everyone use this?
by NJ_Piano_Mom - 07/06/22 09:00 AM
Future-proof-ness of a silent acoustic grand
by Falsch - 07/06/22 08:03 AM
Haessler
by PianistEsq - 07/06/22 12:05 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,828
Posts3,205,830
Members105,735
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission