2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
62 members (80k, AndreaH, Belger1900, astrotoy, apianostudent, Animisha, beeboss, accordeur, 17 invisible), 4,631 guests, and 306 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Carey
Regarding the 5'8" Kimball - while the piano itself looks good, it doesn't appear to have a bench AND the setting where the piano is photographed seems rather strange. grin In other words, it is hard to tell where the piano came from, how it was (and is being) used and who is selling it. All little red flags worth checking out prior to actually seeing it.

Look at those photos again, is there an upright piano in back and to the left of the Kimball? Or is it just a nice desk with a suspiciously rounded part that looks like a closed fallboard? whome

The info is so specific... Either the person is a covert piano dealer or they really did their homework.

Anyway, no reason not to go and check out the piano. When I had my Petrof upright, the guy I bought it from seemed super shady before I met him, but afterwards I realized he's a super nice guy and the weird red flags were just incomplete info.

Just keep your wits about you, and go play it! smile

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Originally Posted by Carey
Regarding the 5'8" Kimball - while the piano itself looks good, it doesn't appear to have a bench AND the setting where the piano is photographed seems rather strange. grin In other words, it is hard to tell where the piano came from, how it was (and is being) used and who is selling it. All little red flags worth checking out prior to actually seeing it.

Look at those photos again, is there an upright piano in back and to the left of the Kimball? Or is it just a nice desk with a suspiciously rounded part that looks like a closed fallboard? whome

The info is so specific... Either the person is a covert piano dealer or they really did their homework.

Anyway, no reason not to go and check out the piano. When I had my Petrof upright, the guy I bought it from seemed super shady before I met him, but afterwards I realized he's a super nice guy and the weird red flags were just incomplete info.

Just keep your wits about you, and go play it! smile

It's true, Dr. ShiroKuro, that you can't always judge a book by its cover, or a piano ad on CL by first impressions, or what appears to be red flags. But the phrase, "trust by verify" (Ronald Reagan) is always in order when shopping for a pre-owned piano, not only private sales, but dealers too (with all due respect).

This may be a bit OT, but indirectly related; I'm flirting around with the idea of buying a newer digital piano than the one I have, and saw one on Facebook Marketplace that I may be interested in. But the FB profile of the seller is blank/empty, except for the guys photo, and it says he joined FB in 2021. I read that the number one red flag for FB mkt plc scammers is a skimpy/empty profile and having recently joined FB. So, I ruled that seller out... I would hate to misjudge someone, but I'd hate it worse to get scammed out of my hard-earned money.

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
C
C
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro

Definitely a dealer. In pic 10, you can see a reflection in the lid of the piano of a storefront sign that says "Kawai Digital." This listing looks to be from the same place, and might actually be for the upright you can see in the background: https://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/msg/d/chicago-young-chang-bergmann-48-studio/7457607636.html

Yamaha C2X
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
On Photo 10, you can see the reflection of a Kawai poster on the lid. I have to think this piano is in some kind of dealership, even though the only Lincoln Park piano dealership that Google locates is a Steinway gallery. The wall decor does not scream Steinway gallery to me!
Anyways, I don’t think this means you should cross the piano off your list. Hopefully they also have a Baldwin or two!

N
N
Originally Posted by Sgisela
On Photo 10, you can see the reflection of a Kawai poster on the lid. I have to think this piano is in some kind of dealership, even though the only Lincoln Park piano dealership that Google locates is a Steinway gallery. The wall decor does not scream Steinway gallery to me!
Anyways, I don’t think this means you should cross the piano off your list. Hopefully they also have a Baldwin or two!

Seems to be a dealer which is not necessarily a bad thing. They have this piano and others listed on the Pianomart website. You could try a bunch of pianos smile

https://www.pianomart.com/buy-a-piano/view?id=48316

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
It could be a music shop, not a dealer. The ones in my area often sell used pianos. Won’t know until you go visit! I’d also give the Yamaha G2s a look. 👍

There’s a 6’ Petroff made Weinbach at that Pianomart link, sold by the same seller.

Lisa
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Defnitely some type of dealer with questionable decorating taste (haha). They also have a 1998 Petrof built Weinbach (with Renner action).

https://www.pianomart.com/buy-a-piano/view?id=47669

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cassia
In pic 10, you can see a reflection in the lid of the piano of a storefront sign that says "Kawai Digital."

Oh my gosh, good eye!

So, it's a dealer, that's definitely not bad, they are probably putting those listings on CL to get more eyes on them.

Actually, this is a good development. You'll be able to play a bunch of different pianos in one visit. And if you buy one, the dealer will make delivery and other details easier. A win-win!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
S
S
If you were my customer I'd have just one answer:
A good used Yamaha.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
PianoManPete, I hope we didn't scare you away with our enthusiasm! whome

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
P
OP Offline
P
Not at all, in fact I’m going to look at the Kimball today!

P
OP Offline
P
In fact all your responses remind me why I love forums like this- so much expertise and a real community of people who are focused on their passion.

Makes me miss the good old days of the internet.

Online Content

Originally Posted by PianoManPete
Have fun !!!!
grin

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member

Oh good! smile

Let us know how you like it!

Re internet forums, yep, this one is pretty great! I follow (loosely) several Facebook groups related to various piano topics, but somehow they are never very coherent and I've never found another site that compares with this one. smile

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
N
N

Awesome ! As ShiroKuro said let us know what you think. I have been loving my Kimball Viennese but have not played any others and am curious about others' experience with it.

Originally Posted by nrighton

Awesome ! As ShiroKuro said let us know what you think. I have been loving my Kimball Viennese but have not played any others and am curious about others' experience with it.

I think PMP will like the 5'8" Kimball Viennese, but since he has had some experience playing the piano, you never know. I'm also thinking the older Yamaha and Kawai might be worth checking out, if the Kimball is not THE ONE. That said, I've learned that when it comes to pianos, newer is better, usually, but newer usually cost more, and in some cases, a lot more.

It is certainly all subjective, when it comes to pianos, and what someone will like or not like. In fact, one person's old clunker might be another person's pure treasure. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Dealers do advertise on CL but they do not always mention it or thier names.I think it's OK as long as they mention it when one contacts them.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by tre corda
Dealers do advertise on CL but they do not always mention it or thier names.I think it's OK as long as they mention it when one contacts them.

There is a nominal fee for all dealer ads - so CL would not be thrilled
https://www.craigslist.org/about/help/posting_fees

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
https://www.craigslist.org/about/help/posting_fees[/quote]

I really think they would paying for the ad on CL.It is usually very easy to spot if its a dealer.Some of the dealers who do advertise are quite well known.

Originally Posted by tre corda
https://www.craigslist.org/about/help/posting_fees

I really think they would paying for the ad on CL.It is usually very easy to spot if its a dealer.Some of the dealers who do advertise are quite well known.

While on the subject, over the years, I've noticed lots of used piano ads on Craigslist that appeared to be private sellers, but were undoubtedly used piano dealers pretending to be private sellers; typically, it would be the same dealers, so they are not all bad apples/dealers and many dealers do follow the rules on CL.

In fact, some dealers were quite good at masquerading as private sellers. There would be comments in the ad like "moving must sell", "downsizing, must sell", son or daughter no longer plays, must sell, "Need to pay medical bills, must sell", etc....

And, I'm not sure how closely CL monitors this activity, unless someone contacts them to complain about it.

Rick

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Piano bench too uncomfortable
by lorez - 07/03/22 11:10 AM
Small high end grands
by AndreaH - 07/03/22 08:50 AM
Historial orchestral sight reading
by boo1234 - 07/03/22 08:23 AM
Buy: Kawai CN39, MP7SE w/mods, or Other?
by Azalingchan - 07/02/22 11:07 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,789
Posts3,205,124
Members105,703
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission