2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
80 members (accordeur, beeboss, BMKE, 80k, Burkhard, anamnesis, Anevsky, brennbaer, 16 invisible), 4,672 guests, and 301 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
T
Tono Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Just started learning "La Porte des Bohatyrs de Kiew" from a photocopy of the Augener Edition. I've found one almost certain mistake and wondering about some other notes. I'm not familiar with Moussorgsky and haven't learned the earlier parts of "Pictures". A confident answer to three questions should settle the matter for me. (1) The first chord in ms. 6 is B-flat major and in ms. 8 G minor. Is that right? (2) In ms. 13 and ms. 18 there are A-flats on the 3rd beat in the right hand. Are they right? (3) I'm puzzled by the "sempre con espressione" after the octave-scale section, given that the earlier chordal interlude was marked "senza espressione". What does "sempre" mean in that spot? Thanks in advance to anyone who might know. (And the mistake I'm sure of is a D-natural instead of D-flat in the third measure before the eighth-note octave scales begin, in a chord formed, from the bottom, of F-flat, A-flat, D, F-flat.) If I should get a different edition, what should it be?

B
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
B
Originally Posted by Tono
Just started learning "La Porte des Bohatyrs de Kiew" from a photocopy of the Augener Edition. I've found one almost certain mistake and wondering about some other notes. I'm not familiar with Moussorgsky and haven't learned the earlier parts of "Pictures". A confident answer to three questions should settle the matter for me. (1) The first chord in ms. 6 is B-flat major and in ms. 8 G minor. Is that right?

No.
They are the same in my score.

2) In ms. 13 and ms. 18 there are A-flats on the 3rd beat in the right hand. Are they right?

Yes.

(3) I'm puzzled by the "sempre con espressione" after the octave-scale section, given that the earlier chordal interlude was marked "senza espressione".

In my score, it's senza espressione both times.
(And the mistake I'm sure of is a D-natural instead of D-flat in the third measure before the eighth-note octave scales begin, in a chord formed, from the bottom, of F-flat, A-flat, D, F-flat.)
It should be D flat.

If I should get a different edition, what should it be?
Use this:
https://s9.imslp.org/files/imglnks/...lge_2_Tableaux_d_une_Exposition_scan.pdf

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
B
BDB Offline
B
If you want it printed, the Pavel (Paul) Lamm edition is printed by International Music Co., as well as by Dover in the collection of Mussorgsky piano music.

Semipro Tech
T
Tono Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Many thanks. I'm delighted that my intuition was largely right. I had just gone through a miserable experience with a delightful piece, Granados' Valses Poéticos, which I'd bought used in what turned out to be a mistake-filled International Music edition. Say, if you see this, it just occurred to me to ask, What do you think "senza espressione" means? "Play like a robot"?

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I just treat it as very subdued - it's basically a church hymn, so when I play it I just treat it as such and don't overdo anything with emotion or tempo changes.

What you are is an accident of birth. What I am, I am through my own efforts. There have been a thousand princes and there will be a thousand more. There is one Beethoven.
B
B
if you see this, it just occurred to me to ask, What do you think "senza espressione" means? "Play like a robot"?
Those sections sound like a Russian Orthodox Church chant (just as the tolling bells later on are clearly from the same source):

so I'd play them without any stresses (unlike in Bach chorales, for example, where the soprano line would be more prominent, and you'd put emphasis on phrasing) or rubato, and in the same subdued monotone. In fact, it was after listening to Rachmaninov's All Night Vigil that I knew exactly how this music needed to be played.

"I don't play accurately - anyone can play accurately - but I play with wonderful expression. As far as the piano is concerned, sentiment is my forte. I keep science for Life."
B
B
For comparison, here's Bach's Passion Chorale (Matthäus-Passion) sung in exemplary manner in the Lutheran Church tradition, with strong phrasing and voice leading:

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
In my score (published in the USSR):

1. ms. 6 and 8 are the same

3. There is "senza espressione" after the first octave scales, and "Meno mosso, sempre maestoso" after the second one.
It is in public domain.

My score is from different edition, but note wise is identical to IMSLP edition mentioned above.

Wise men speak because they have something to say; Fools because they have to say something. (falsely attributed to Plato)
Vlad,
Adult beginner
B
B
Originally Posted by VladK
In my score (published in the USSR):

3. There is "senza espressione" after the first octave scales, and "Meno mosso, sempre maestoso" after the second one.
The OP was actually asking about the mood indication for the 'hymn' sections before and after the (one-handed) octave scale section, not the final section with ff chords with both hands leaping back and forth.

Your edition is probably completely identical to the one I linked on IMSLP.

MRC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
The Lamm edition (see IMSLP link above) is much better than most older editions, but still contains errors. There are some modern editions that have gone back to the original manuscript, for instance the Henle one from 2013.

Steinway A grand (1919), Richard Lipp grand (1913), Yamaha P2 upright (1983), Kawai ES-100 (2019)
A
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
A
I have an edition of Pictures that my teacher took apart almost note by note and re-edited it with Horowitz' markings (yes, they were good old buddies)...and it wasn't just the Great Gate (hope that's still standing at this writing).

Last edited by Auntie Lynn; 03/19/22 06:09 PM.
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S
There is an excellent version edit by Barenreiter, which is fairly recent.

Blüthner model 6
T
Tono Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Do your editions show a rather peculiar B naturalized between an E-flat major chord and an A-flat major chord on the second eighth note of the first beat eight measures before the "meno mosso, sempre maestoso" finale? I can imagine a farfetched explanation for it, but it is really alone, surrounded by easily understood harmonies.

MRC Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Do your editions show a rather peculiar B naturalized between an E-flat major chord and an A-flat major chord on the second eighth note of the first beat eight measures before the "meno mosso, sempre maestoso" finale? I can imagine a farfetched explanation for it, but it is really alone, surrounded by easily understood harmonies.
That B-natural is in the Bärenreiter edition. I also have a facsimile of Mussorgsky's autograph manuscript: it's there too.

Steinway A grand (1919), Richard Lipp grand (1913), Yamaha P2 upright (1983), Kawai ES-100 (2019)
S
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
S

The B natural is just a lower auxilliary in between the 2 C.

Blüthner model 6
T
Tono Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Thanks. Yes, that's how I saw it too (as the lower auxiliary), and I see a similar natural in the left-hand octave scale earlier in the piece. I guess that's what separates a great composer from a modestly trained Harmony 101 student.

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
"......and it wasn't just the Great Gate (hope that's still standing at this writing)...."

Simply surveying the relative vastness of the Wiki article and its references makes me greatly feel the thinness of my own knowledge. (The most comprehensive is to be found at

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pictures_at_an_Exhibition#The_Great_Gate_of_Kiev

although there are several others at Wiki with much abbreviated information).

In a very real sense, the music I 'hear' when I think of Musorgsky's great piano suite is that of Keith Emerson's 1971 release of Emerson, Lake and Palmer's "Pictures at an Exhibition," which I loved as a late teenager and still love, and a release of Robert Shaw's (same title), conducting the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra, which I like a lot less. It just goes to show what comes of letting a conservatory student loose in the world as a rock performer.

Like our own reviewer, above, I took it on faith that such a gate still existed or had existed, and who knows, if they are able to shuck off Russia, maybe one day they will get around to realizing this wonderful idea. But no, neither now or ever has it ever existed as other than a structure in the realms of imagination or hope.

There was a suggestion that such a gate be constructed, and a competition for its design... "to commemorate Tsar Alexander II's narrow escape from an assassination attempt on April 4, 1866 [was held]. [Mussorgsky's close friend Viktor] Hartmann regarded his design as the best work he had done. His design won the national competition but plans to build the structure were later cancelled."

So much for the Great Gate [or Hero's Gate] of Kiev... but let it play on. This effort to clear up the notational errata is a very worthwhile one.

Clef

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Thread for short questions.
by Josephine83 - 07/05/22 02:42 PM
Kawai Novus 10S New owner
by Ron A - 07/05/22 11:33 AM
Kurzweil k2700
by Ivan504 - 07/05/22 11:30 AM
Alan Belkin on musical salience - an aesthetic concept
by indigo_dave - 07/05/22 11:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,815
Posts3,205,595
Members105,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission