2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
84 members (Animisha, BobTB, 80k, Andre R., bobrunyan, Belger1900, AJB, BMKE, Aachen, 19 invisible), 628 guests, and 331 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#3200823 03/13/22 08:30 AM
R
OP Offline
R
I wonder how many of you are multi-talented.

A long time ago, I told my professor that although I had chosen the conservatoire, I had briefly considered going to the art academy. I chose the conservatoire because I suspected that studying music theory and composition would be too difficult to do on your own.

His reaction surprised me. He told me that I probably preferred to make line drawings, or at least sketch with ink. You're not a painter, he said. He was right, but how did he know?

First of all, I wasn't the only one who was multi-talented. According to him more than half of his students was also active as an artist. And secondly, those who had a preference for counterpoint and interwoven melodic lines, and who liked to write for a single instrument or a small ensemble, were mostly graphic artists. The ones who liked to write for a symphonic orchestra usually were painters.

I knew his style, so I guessed he liked to draw as well. He did. He made sketches of landscapes with black ink.

That is so weird. But I must say the students that were interested in counterpoint usually were a bit nerdy. Perhaps the lines of a drawing are more satisfying to them than blobs of paint. I know I like a nice black line. I'm not really into colors.

Anyway, after all those years my graphic style matches my musical style, so I'm quite happy. How about you?

Free online Music Theory Tools made by me.
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
I passionately envy you - I have a pronounced lack of talent for drawing.

M
M
Curious and interesting subject… To be sure, the word “colour” comes often across when talking about orchestration and orchestral music

P-515
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
I am not multi-talented, but I do feel the need to express myself in artistic ways. When I was younger I wrote poems and short stories. For two years I was a student at an a art school, now I play the piano. I am not talented at any of this, as in having an exceptional natural ability, but if you try your best, the results can be quite satsifying.

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
PS At art school, I mainly painted. I need colours. I don't compose, but yes, if I could, I would love to compose for a symphonic orchestra, with lots of melodies flowing besides or into each other. Like colours. smile

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Rowy van Hest
A long time ago, I told my professor that although I had chosen the conservatoire, I had briefly considered going to the art academy. I chose the conservatoire because I suspected that studying music theory and composition would be too difficult to do on your own.

His reaction surprised me. He told me that I probably preferred to make line drawings, or at least sketch with ink. You're not a painter, he said. He was right, but how did he know?

He didn't know for sure actually. Under-estimation of somebody's abilities is something that isn't in my book of conduct. If given enough time ----- it may well be possible for you to be a good painter, or even excellent one. Enough time. But also - it depends on own attitude, self-belief, motivation, effort ---- own nature/character --- way of thinking etc.

I am not multi-talented. But I can play Chopin's Polonaise-Fantaisie, and I can slice an onion very thinly.

Soli Chopin gloria
R
OP Offline
R
Hi Nahum, what about writing, cooking, woodworking, et cetera?

Last edited by Rowy van Hest; 03/14/22 05:42 AM.

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Animisha
I am not multi-talented, but I do feel the need to express myself in artistic ways.

I wondered about that too. Maybe it is that need that makes you try different ways of expressing yourself. Apart from composing and drawing, I have also written over 100 short stories. But is it a talent? Perhaps I'm just a bit handy. Or easily bored smile

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Rubens
I am not multi-talented. But I can play Chopin's Polonaise-Fantaisie, and I can slice an onion very thinly.

So you're a talented slicer of onions! Perhaps you have more talents, like a silly walk.

So you're a talented slicer of onions! Perhaps you have more talents, like a silly walk.

My walk is bad. I wish I could be a super-talented pianist like you.

Soli Chopin gloria
N
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
N
Hi Nahum, what about writing, cooking, woodworking, et cetera?

Yes, as a teenager he wrote all sorts of funny things: short poems, theatrical sketches. Cooking and woodworking? I have two left hands; and my handwriting is a complete disaster, not suitable for signing a check.

Oops, just realized OP didn't list piano as part of his multiple talents... but is good at drawing black lines. Beats slicing onions any day. Congrats.

Soli Chopin gloria
J
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by Animisha
I am not multi-talented, but I do feel the need to express myself in artistic ways.

I wondered about that too. Maybe it is that need that makes you try different ways of expressing yourself. Apart from composing and drawing, I have also written over 100 short stories. But is it a talent? Perhaps I'm just a bit handy. Or easily bored smile

I'm also wondering how many pianists/composers are creative in other ways. My creative efforts in addition to playing piano/composing, include the written word (I wanted to be a writer from age 7 or so), poetry, sketching people's portraits, photography, gardening, crafts, and home decor. I also spent time exploring a number of different musical instruments including glockenspiel, harpsichord, harp, viola. These all have to do with self-expression, I think?

But doesn't everyone, not just pianists or composers, seek out ways to express themselves, do these or similar kinds of things, more or less?

Jeanne W

Last edited by Jeanne W; 03/14/22 01:57 PM.

Music is about the heart and so should a piano be about the heart. - Pique

1920 Steinway A3
My Piano Delivery Thread:
http://www.pianoworld.com/ubb/ubb/ultimatebb.php?/topic/1/8776.html#000000
R
OP Offline
R
Oops, just realized OP didn't list piano as part of his multiple talents... but is good at drawing black lines. Beats slicing onions any day. Congrats.

I play the piano, but I'm not super talented. My piano is just a tool, as is my organ. It helps me concentrate.

By the way, it's "her" multiple talents, not "his".

Last edited by Rowy van Hest; 03/14/22 03:43 PM.

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Jeanne W
I'm also wondering how many pianists/composers are creative in other ways. My creative efforts in addition to playing piano/composing, include the written word (I wanted to be a writer from age 7 or so), poetry, sketching people's portraits, photography, gardening, crafts, and home decor. I also spent time exploring a number of different musical instruments including glockenspiel, harpsichord, harp, viola. These all have to do with self-expression, I think?

But doesn't everyone, not just pianists or composers, seek out ways to express themselves, do these or similar kinds of things, more or less?

Jeanne W

I think most people express themselves through communication. They talk about their thoughts and feelings. But artists seem to have to make something.

Now that I am retired, I only work in the mornings. I write some music or make a drawing. The rest of the day I do something simple, like cycling in the area. But if I haven't made anything in the morning, I'm not really in the mood to go cycling.

I once asked a dear friend of mine if she never felt the need to make something. She is very good at drawing. But she has no desire to do so. She said, what if I make a drawing? And then what? What would I get out of it?

Clearly not an artist.

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Jeanne W

Yes, but not everyone has a need to express themselves in artistic ways.

I once asked a dear friend of mine if she never felt the need to make something. She is very good at drawing. But she has no desire to do so. She said, what if I make a drawing? And then what? What would I get out of it?

Having an artistic talent and having the need to express yourself through art sadly doesn't always overlap. Rowy's example is someone with talent but without artistic longing. The other way around is probably more common. For instance, in shows like The X Factor there are so many people who dream of becoming a singer, and so few who have true talent. However, the great thing with playing the piano is, that if you get a really good teacher, you still can develop the musicality that you do have - even when it is not outstanding - and get a great deal of satisfaction out of it.

S
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
S
I can slice an onion very thinly.

Nice! Also ----- check this out --- LINK

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I taught myself filmmaking. smile Which means I taught myself screenwriting, videography, color grading, sound design, etc. And I was terrified of putting this out since it's my first film and it's Jaz The Rapper, known for battle rap, cocky lyrics, lots of wordplay, hip hop beats. I had her singing--her first time ever--on hard rock and classical piano, simple and sentimental lyrics. And it stars a doll. blush It could've been DISASTROUS for her. But the people seem to like it. So I'll toot my own horn and chalk it up as a new "talent." grin

That is so weird. But I must say the students that were interested in counterpoint usually were a bit nerdy. Perhaps the lines of a drawing are more satisfying to them than blobs of paint. I know I like a nice black line. I'm not really into colors.

Anyway, after all those years my graphic style matches my musical style, so I'm quite happy. How about you?

That's an interesting correlation.

I, too, enjoy drawing, especially with pen & ink (those crisp black lines). I'm also heavily drawn to counterpoint (my main instrument is bass). While I greatly enjoy looking at colors, my ability to create a pleasing color scheme on canvas or paper is poor at best. I'm probably also considered a nerd, being an engineer and into higher math.

Here's a random page from my sketchbook:

[img]https://www.dropbox.com/s/tvy7inr8p9h7ap7/PXL_20220421_005919076.jpg?dl=0[/img]

Roland RD-2000 / Yamaha EW400 & Electone / lots o' synths
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha P-125 String Resonance
by Petzold - 07/06/22 09:50 AM
Piano saver system? does everyone use this?
by NJ_Piano_Mom - 07/06/22 09:00 AM
Future-proof-ness of a silent acoustic grand
by Falsch - 07/06/22 08:03 AM
Haessler
by PianistEsq - 07/06/22 12:05 AM
Garritan CFX sustain problem
by mwf - 07/05/22 11:29 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,827
Posts3,205,819
Members105,735
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission