2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
27 members (Burkhard, AlkansBookcase, brennbaer, cmoody31, dh371, 20/20 Vision, admodios, clothearednincompo, 6 invisible), 1,217 guests, and 325 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3199223 03/06/22 07:33 AM
OP Offline
I want to be able to adjust my pianosound like this:

This is done with a Behringer x1222usb equalizer https://neilarcher.net/youtube-set-up

But then over the speakers of the piano itself. Is it possible by means of the USB-port (of the NU1X in my case) to change the sound of the piano itself before it arrives at the own speakers of the piano. If it is, I do not need all the features of the x1222usb I guess, which basic eq do I need or can I even use my computer instead? I’am missing some basic knowledge here. A link to some guiding video would be welcome.

Yamaha NU1X PE digipi. CLP-725 WH as a 2nd one @mylove. Dead Roland D5 synth.
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
the behringer X122usb is a mixer with a usb audio interface. it does have a three band equalizer on it.

He is using an acoustic piano and recording using microphones into the mixer and then into a computer via the usb audio interface on the mixer.

once on a computer you can do about anything you want to the captured sound.

you can do that directly on the NU1X through its usb interface.

I don't see that the NU1X has equalizer setting internally.

I don't see anyway to take the sound out of the line outs, apply some affects, and then feed it back into the nu1X and play it through the speakers without having it mixed with the original sound.

FP-90x, PX-330
OP Offline
@Purdyd He answered me on Youtube that he uses this mixer/equalizer also for the digital piano.

I cannot make any sense out of your latest sentence. Can you clarify it a little or say it differently?

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
yes, you could use the mixer to record from any digital piano with line/aux out.

On the Nu1X you don't need to.

You would go - lineout -> Mixer -> aux in -> Nu1X speaker

but when you play the piano, it would also go to the speaker at the same time so you would get both sounds, one internally from the piano and the one from the mixer.

There maybe an internal equalizer on the Nu1X or you can use an external speaker from the mixer.

FP-90x, PX-330
Thats a lovely recording you shared @deafital but its not as simple as the behringer mixer with 3 band eq made it sound that way.
It's more to do with how the mics were positioned, added reverb, soft left hand playing to bring out a warm sound? Eq adjustments are probably only a small part of that sound.

Do you use the reverb setting on your Nu1X? If not, turn up your reverb. What about string resonance settings? Try turning that up.

To start experimenting with different piano sounds from your digital, a way to go is to use virtual piano software aka vsts. This is a good route if you want to learn about music tech, like fiddling with software, and you can afford to buy a few different vsts until you find the one for you. (With virtual instruments you have to kiss some frogs before you find what you like.)

- On your Nu1X set local control to off. This means it won't make any sound through the onboard speakers.
- Send midi from the Nu1X over USB to a computer.
- On the computer use virtual piano software to generate the piano sound, which is triggered by the midi from the Nu1X keys.
- Connect the audio out from the computer to the aux in on the Nu1X and you will hear that sound through the Nu1X speakers.
- With this you can eq, parametric eq, reverb, and there are many software pianos to choose from.

Adult beginner. Roland FP90X, DIY cabinet, Pianoteq & VSL CFX, etc.
OP Offline
@MarkOfJohnson thank you. For this recording it has nothing to do with the mics because the recording is internal. Here is my YouTube question to the pianist [edit] oops it doesn't work.... Well the pianist said the sound was changed by the equalizer.

My NU1X is not with me yet...

But as you say, 'Connect the audio out from the computer to the aux in on the NU1X and you will hear that sound through the NU1X speakers' THEN I conclude it must also be possible to add some external reverb/eq before sending the own piano sound to the speakers. But in that I'm wrong I now understand. I need some very basic input output basic video tutorial. I will search for it, but it would be nice if someone give me some link. If I only understand it like I'm understanding math. That will solve all my problems.

Last edited by deafital; 03/06/22 05:02 PM. Reason: link did not work

OP Offline
So this can not be heard by my own piano speaker
that's a pity

P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
Probabaly 90% of that sound is from the pianist and 8% the piano and any reverb or equalization is the last 2%

You can control reverb internally in the nu1x.

So I think you can hear this from your speaker, if you are a good player.

FP-90x, PX-330
I don’t have an Nu1x.

I think as @purdyd was saying, you can’t route the audio out for processing and back in for live sound through the cabinet speakers. The aux audio in is designed for playing along with a backing track or something. Ie it will mix with the onboard piano sound.

Was the recording you posted made on an Nu1x?
If it was, then I expect you can do it too. But again I doubt external eq is the special ingredient needed.

Think of a digital piano as a series of boxes which feed from one to the next.

1) Keyboard makes midi
-> 2) sound engine makes audio signal
-> 3) amp makes power audio signal
-> 4) speakers make sound

Midi out comes from 1
Audio line out comes from 2
Aux audio in mixes in with the signal from 2 and goes into 3.

There’s a setting ‘local control’ that disconnects 1 from 2 so you get no sound from 2. But that means no line out sound.

What you can’t do on many DPs is disconnect 2 from 3. But that’s what you need if you want to send your onboard piano sound out to a mixer for eq and then bring it back.

However I might be wrong. Go all through the menus when you get your new DP. Maybe there are level adjustments and you can make the aux in part of the mix louder than the direct sound.

Adult beginner. Roland FP90X, DIY cabinet, Pianoteq & VSL CFX, etc.
OP Offline
Thank you MarkOfJohnson & Purdyd for your patience. I did hear an awful lot of recordings of the Nu1x and not one of them did sound like the recordings of Neil Archer. So I did ask him on YouTube and he said “I put the piano sound through a Behringer mixing desk, so it could be the eq you are hearing.” Now I understand I can get this sound, but not out of the piano’s own speakers.

N
N
Hello everyone. A little late to the conversation here but I just noticed this thread. So, I absolutely love the NU1X but the internal speakers on the instrument leave a lot to be desired. I do not use microphones for the NU1X. I take two line outs (standard jacks) into two channels on the Berhinger mixer. I pan one channel to the left and another channel to the right. Then I set the EQ on each of those channels and also through the graphic equalizer. I add a little reverb and instead of sending it back to the piano (which would cause a never ending loop) I use Sennheiser headphones. Another way instead of using headphones would be to have a pair of powered monitors on top of the piano. I find that the EQ and the reverb is far superior on the mixer than it is on the NU1X. For these recordings on YouTube, I don’t use a computer at all - it’s all sent to the iPhone 12 and it captured the audio and video perfectly using iMovie Pro via the USB audio interface on the mixer. I do hope this helps. If you have any questions, I’d love to help you figure it out. Be adventurous and a few hundred bucks of equipment will really improve your NU1X enjoyment. Cheers. Neil.

Last edited by Neil Archer; 06/23/22 07:48 AM.

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,164
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission