2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
69 members (Burkhard, apianostudent, Carey, Bellyman, AlkansBookcase, accordeur, akse0435, Barry_Braksick, 11 invisible), 1,858 guests, and 300 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
aish466 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
I have an upright Yamaha U3 piano and am moving to a new house. The new place has a separate music room that we got extended but the room has underfloor heating.

My piano has been great and hasn't needed tuning even once in the 3 years I have owned it. I am scared that the underfloor heating might damage the piano(and the other instruments - violin and guitar - I have)

I have searched online but couldn't find much information. How effective is an underfloor heating mat for the piano? Is there anything else that I need to use to protect it? A humidifier? If so, what are my options?

Also, I have the option of putting either tiles or a carpet on the floor. Which one would be better - or would it not make any difference?

Thank you!

T
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
T
I'm not a tech, but I really don't think it'd be a problem. A hot radiator pumping out lots of heat from a single source, yes. But not evenly spaced heat from the entire floor. Carpet would certainly sound better than tile.

N
N W Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
I'm in UK.
When underfloor heating came on the scene here I was very concerned for all my client's pianos.
Strangely, it has been my experience that it is no problem at all, in fact, the pianos have become if anything more stable.
I think that it may be because we have high fluctuations of humidity here (south uk) and the underfloor heating evens it out. Also, the heating is never "hot" but a gentle background.
Nothing like the problems I get with wood burning stoves in the room.

Nick, ageing piano technician
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
You might like to contact Coach House pianos as they sell Underfloor heating mats and I think that one of the staff, Dan Rusling, has a piano in a house with underfloor heating.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
I think it will be much better for the piano. Much more even and gradual. At least that is my experience thus far. If I could I'd put it in my house.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
www.seacoastpianodoctor.com
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PK0T7_I_nV8
E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
In my area, every piano I've encountered that sits on heated flooring is not doing well. EVERY single one. Yes, it's not as hot as a radiator, baseboard or forced hot air, but it still damages the piano. In less expensive, entry level pianos, the damage has been severe. Case parts coming unglued, loose tuning pins, action screws all loose, etc. This includes grand pianos.

Eric Gloo
Piano Technician
Certified Dampp-Chaser Installer
Richfield Springs, New York
Online Content
It really comes down to whether or not underfloor heating increases the temperature inside the case of the piano compared to other forms of room heating. If it does it will lower humidity relative to the average in the room which potentially can lead to damage.

P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
YES! One still needs to CONTROL THE ENVIRONMENT no matter what heat or cooling source exists. Also, if home insulation is not optimal the heating system has to work longer and harder which further drys the air. This would also apply to radiant heat in the floor. Control the inside and the outside of your piano. Keep it around 40-50% and it will thank you and reward you.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
A
aish466 Offline OP
OP Offline
A
Thank you everyone for your replies. I live in the South UK and it's good to know it doesn't damage the pianos in this area. I will look into underfloor heating mats.

@P W Grey How can one control the environment/outside of the piano? How would you keep the humidity around 40-50%?

Last edited by aish466; 03/01/22 05:07 PM.
C
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by aish466
Thank you everyone for your replies. I live in the South UK and it's good to know it doesn't damage the pianos in this area. I will look into underfloor heating mats.

@P W Grey How can one control the environment/outside of the piano? How would you keep the humidity around 40-50%?
I live not far from Swansea and have a hygrometer on top of my piano. It has stayed between 40 - 50 for several months. I don't know where you are exactly but even if you are much further over to the east you probably don't have to worry. Anyway a hygrometer is cheap so get one and see what it says.

Yamaha U1A, Roland LX706

South Wales, UK
N
N W Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
N
Do be sure to use an electronic hygrometer which has a memory for the highest and lowest readings. It's surprising how big the difference between noon and 3 am

Nick, ageing piano technician
P
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
P
Originally Posted by aish466

If the general ambient humidity is higher than 50% RH virtually year round, a 38w Dampp-Chaser rod installed WITH a Humidistat should adequately create a very stable environment. I don't think you'd need to resort to a room dehumidifier unless you're up in the 65+% quite a bit. Anyway that's where I would start.

Peter Grey Piano Doctor

Last edited by P W Grey; 03/02/22 10:36 AM.

Peter W. Grey, RPT
New Hampshire Seacoast
pianodoctor57@gmail.com
V
V
The previous church I played for had in-floor radiant heat. After the installation of a Dampp-Chaser, the tuning was quite stable on the Yamaha studio upright there.

Moderated by  Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,390
Posts3,349,260
Members111,633
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission