2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
43 members (AlkansBookcase, Bruce Sato, APianistHasNoName, BillS728, bcalvanese, anotherscott, Carey, danno858, 9 invisible), 1,245 guests, and 297 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
pianoloverus #3197549 02/26/22 07:43 PM

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member
Online Content

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Joe mentioned previously rebuilt older pianos, and MarkL mentioned Rick Jones.
Just for fun I looked at www.RickJonesPianos.com and see a 1919 Steinway M that was rebuilt prior to them receiving it listed for 17.5k.
It could be very good but we don't know the quality of the partial rebuild or when it was done. The soundboard and bridges are over 100 years old, and no rebuilding was done on the action which also has over 100 year old parts. Those parts could be in pretty good condition but that would be rare for a 100+ year old piano.

It says they "re-regulated the action to factory specs."

Naturally, the OP should have whatever they purchase inspected first.
I don't want to sound like an advert for Rick Jones, but I think it's a well-regarded shop.
I read the description before writing my comment and know the action was re-regulated. That doesn't mean any parts were replaced. My only objection to the description is that they say the piano was rebuilt when, in fact, it was only partially rebuilt and still has the over 100 years old soundboard, bridge, and action.

It says "adding any more new parts to this piano...isn’t really necessary." IOW, the issue was addressed.

How acceptable the description is to some random guy online, is irrelevant.
What matters to a potential buyer is the actual piano's condition.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

pianoloverus #3197550 02/26/22 07:43 PM
S
PW Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Originally Posted by tre corda
Just for fun I looked at www.RickJonesPianos.com and see a 1919 Steinway M that was rebuilt prior to them receiving it listed for 17.5k.
It could be very good but we don't know the quality of the partial rebuild or when it was done. The soundboard and bridges are over 100 years old, and no rebuilding was done on the action which also has over 100 year old parts. Those parts could be in pretty good condition but that would be rare for a 100+ year old piano.
Actually that looks good! It's worth it perhaps to try it and then decide about a technician check.
Unless the OP lives nearby, I think the best approach is to have it inspected first by a tech working only for the OP and then, depending on what the tech says, try it out. When trying out an old and partially rebuilt Steinway, I think one should ask oneself "What would I think about this piano if I didn't know the name on the fallboard?"

She lives in Arizona, so I don’t think this piano is exactly next door.
Instead of looking at east Coast pianos, why not do some sleuthing for possibilities on her turf?

pianoloverus #3197552 02/26/22 07:50 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Actually that looks good! It's worth it perhaps to try it and then decide about a technician check.
Unless the OP lives nearby, I think the best approach is to have it inspected first by a tech working only for the OP and then, depending on what the tech says, try it out. When trying out an old and partially rebuilt Steinway, I think one should ask oneself "What would I think about this piano if I didn't know the name on the fallboard?"
Yes, I agree, first always do one's own research on older pianos. The name on the fallboard can help in this process, sometimes not at all.I would never suggest bothering about a technician check unless there was a real love for the instrument and one was ready to buy it.The same goes for some new pianos as well but to a lesser degree.(although technician checks are probably not needed here) There are suggestions on Piano Buying about checking a used piano, before a technician check

AndreaH #3197555 02/26/22 08:01 PM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I think the piano at Rick Jones was brought up as an example of a piano in her price range, and to help counteract the feeling of deflation. I am not sure it was necessarily brought up as a serious recommendation. The OP has indicated that she is not interested in traveling in the near future, and Rick Jones is ~2000 miles away from her location.

pianoloverus #3197556 02/26/22 08:03 PM

9000 Post Club Member
Online Content

9000 Post Club Member
When trying out an old and partially rebuilt Steinway, I think one should ask oneself "What would I think about this piano if I didn't know the name on the fallboard?"

I agree! thumb

But I think it's a valid question regardless of age or rebuild status.

Sgisela #3197559 02/26/22 08:10 PM

9000 Post Club Member
Online Content

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sgisela
I think the piano at Rick Jones was brought up as an example of a piano in her price range, and to help counteract the feeling of deflation.

Yes, exactly. IOW, don't give up hope.

I am not sure it was necessarily brought up as a serious recommendation. The OP has indicated that she is not interested in traveling in the near future, and Rick Jones is ~2000 miles away from her location.

I'm not normally one to recommend buying without trying. On the other hand, things have been crazy during the pandemic, and I think people have been doing it. I assume Rick Jones is as good as any other place to buy from at a distance. If the piano passes an objective inspection by a 3rd party technician, then why not?

I personally wouldn't want to buy that way, but if someone isn't willing or able to travel, then they have limited options.

FWIW, I think one of the more local shops listed above also had an older M listed for about 17k. That would probably be worth checking out.

Retsacnal #3197560 02/26/22 08:17 PM
AndreaH Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
I think the piano at Rick Jones was brought up as an example of a piano in her price range, and to help counteract the feeling of deflation.

Yes, exactly. IOW, don't give up hope.

I am not sure it was necessarily brought up as a serious recommendation. The OP has indicated that she is not interested in traveling in the near future, and Rick Jones is ~2000 miles away from her location.

I'm not normally one to recommend buying without trying. On the other hand, things have been crazy during the pandemic, and I think people have been doing it. I assume Rick Jones is as good as any other place to buy from at a distance. If the piano passes an objective inspection by a 3rd party technician, then why not?

I personally wouldn't want to buy that way, but if someone isn't willing or able to travel, then they have limited options.

FWIW, I think one of the more local shops listed above also had an older M listed for about 17k. That would probably be worth checking out.

Absolutely, on all points! I'm not feeling as deflated anymore! 😄 Now I'm anxious to go out and play!!!

AndreaH #3197561 02/26/22 08:17 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
This may be of some help in checking used pianos oneself. Remember to take a flashlight with you.
https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/how-to-inspect-a-used-piano-before-buying/

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

AndreaH #3197563 02/26/22 08:25 PM
C
C
Personally, if you’re the pianist, I would make sure to play the piano yourself AND have it inspected before purchasing. No exceptions.

With that in mind, I’d consider the following approach for a serious budget…in order of priority.

1) Visit all the stores in your town (and general metro area/neighboring towns) carrying pianos in your budget. Play things a little above and a little below your budget for perspective.

2) Plan an inexpensive and efficient road trip to the nearest big city hub of piano shops. Play their pianos. Do it in one day or two to save money and time.

3) Consider traveling farther (by plane), and playing more pianos, or track down listings online.

You can try Craigslist in your area too.

I wasn’t about to get to step three myself, but I know people do this sometimes (sounds like a lot of work and overhead). I found what I was looking for locally. And my current lifestyle doesn’t make frivolous traveling particularly feasible. But I could see it working for some people in their search.

Let the dealer know if you really love a piano, even if you can’t afford it. If they’re anything like the people I’ve met, they’ll really want to make the sale work for you and will be open to all kinds of negotiations (even if they seem stubborn at first). You might even find you had more money to spend than you thought! (Ha ha)

Also, private sellers/owners are probably less likely to want to negotiate prices etc. Dealers/stores understand this is how things go and will play ball more easily.

Last edited by chromaticvortex; 02/26/22 08:32 PM.
tre corda #3197565 02/26/22 08:37 PM
Yes, I agree, first always do one's own research on older pianos. The name on the fallboard can help in this process, sometimes not at all.I would never suggest bothering about a technician check unless there was a real love for the instrument and one was ready to buy it.The same goes for some new pianos as well but to a lesser degree.(although technician checks are probably not needed here) There are suggestions on Piano Buying about checking a used piano, before a technician check
Not sure what part of my comments your agreeing with. If the buyer lives far away, then I think it makes far more sense to have a tech check it over for a cost of $100-$ 200 vs. first spending the money and time on a trip to where the piano is located. "Far away" meaning requiring a plane trip or very long car trip.

AndreaH #3197567 02/26/22 08:46 PM
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Sorry I should have looked more carefully, yes Rick Jones pianos is some distance to the OP. I just provided the link anyway in case she comes across a piano she likes.

AndreaH Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chromaticvortex
Personally, if you’re the pianist, I would make sure to play the piano yourself AND have it inspected before purchasing. No exceptions.

With that in mind, I’d consider the following approach for a serious budget…in order of priority.

1) Visit all the stores in your town (and general metro area/neighboring towns) carrying pianos in your budget. Play things a little above and a little below your budget for perspective.

2) Plan an inexpensive and efficient road trip to the nearest big city hub of piano shops. Play their pianos. Do it in one day or two to save money and time.

3) Consider traveling farther (by plane), and playing more pianos, or track down listings online.
Probably not going to happen unless I have another reason to travel there. 😉

You can try Craigslist in your area too
I'm keeping my eyes on them...

I wasn’t about to get to step three myself, but I know people do this sometimes (sounds like a lot of work and overhead). I found what I was looking for locally. And my current lifestyle doesn’t make frivolous traveling particularly feasible. But I could see it working for some people in their search.

Let the dealer know if you really love a piano, even if you can’t afford it. If they’re anything like the people I’ve met, they’ll really want to make the sale work for you and will be open to all kinds of negotiations (even if they seem stubborn at first). You might even find you had more money to spend than you thought! (Ha ha)
I will certainly try this if I find something. Thanks!

Also, private sellers/owners are probably less likely to want to negotiate prices etc. Dealers/stores understand this is how things go and will play ball more easily.
👍

AndreaH #3197579 02/26/22 09:33 PM
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S
Good advice from Chromatic!
I would add one thought, only because it worked for me: let your tech know what you are looking for and your budget. I live in piano desert (no piano stores in town) but my tech eventually had a client who was selling a piano he thought I might like. I loved it— so the hunt and the wait were over.

Turn your deflation into resolve that you will find your piano 😊

AndreaH #3197584 02/26/22 10:05 PM
C
C
Yeah, definitely. Also if you let us know what town you're in, we can help scope out something near to you. Of course you don't have to. As of now I've looked at Phoenix and yeah you definitely have options there...Stillwell was mentioned which has a lot of used grands. Next up you got Tucson...there's Hachenburg pianos (used Baldwin and Steinway in your budget). I don't know how far you are from Las Vegas but they've gotta have a lot of great piano deals there! You'll want to stick to the cities though, it could be a desert out there, so to speak... smile

AndreaH Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by chromaticvortex
Yeah, definitely. Also if you let us know what town you're in, we can help scope out something near to you. Of course you don't have to. As of now I've looked at Phoenix and yeah you definitely have options there...Stillwell was mentioned which has a lot of used grands. Next up you got Tucson...there's Hachenburg pianos (used Baldwin and Steinway in your budget). I don't know how far you are from Las Vegas but they've gotta have a lot of great piano deals there! You'll want to stick to the cities though, it could be a desert out there, so to speak... smile
I'm NW of Phoenix. Tucson is probably a couple hours south of me. Not out of the question for a real find!

Here's a question: house much life is given to a piano once restored? Or is that for a new thread? 😳

AndreaH #3197611 02/27/22 01:19 AM
S
spk Online Happy
Online Happy
S
I think with some patience, looking for older used pianos will make this possible. Will probably have to broaden search in terms of age of the piano, looking for a lightly used older piano to have professionally inspected.

Also, finding a private party sale will undoubtedly save a lot of money

Pre-pandemic, I bought a 1970s Grotrian 200 in excellent condition with no work needed for around 12,000.

I tried the recent model W Hoffmann grands made through Bechstein, and was impressed. If a used one comes up on the market, it may be within budget.

Last edited by spk; 02/27/22 01:20 AM.
AndreaH #3197635 02/27/22 08:10 AM
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by AndreaH
Here's a question: how much life is given to a piano once restored? Or is that for a new thread? 😳

I think this is a complicated question to answer for many reasons, perhaps the most important being that there is a huge amount of variability in terms of what is meant by ‘restoring’ a piano (both the things that were done and the quality of the work done). Here is an article that discusses this:
https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/buying-a-used-or-restored-piano-buying-a-restored-piano/

spk #3197642 02/27/22 09:56 AM
AndreaH Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by spk
I think with some patience, looking for older used pianos will make this possible. Will probably have to broaden search in terms of age of the piano, looking for a lightly used older piano to have professionally inspected.

Also, finding a private party sale will undoubtedly save a lot of money

Pre-pandemic, I bought a 1970s Grotrian 200 in excellent condition with no work needed for around 12,000.

I tried the recent model W Hoffmann grands made through Bechstein, and was impressed. If a used one comes up on the market, it may be within budget.

Good ideas. You're the second person who's mentioned Hoffman to me. I've never played a Bechstein but from how I've heard it described, I may like it's sound and touch. In fact, I found one not stupid far from me I'd like to check out. Maybe Hoffman is one to check out as far as new goes.

Last edited by AndreaH; 02/27/22 09:57 AM.
Sgisela #3197645 02/27/22 09:59 AM
AndreaH Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Here's a question: how much life is given to a piano once restored? Or is that for a new thread? 😳

I think this is a complicated question to answer for many reasons, perhaps the most important being that there is a huge amount of variability in terms of what is meant by ‘restoring’ a piano (both the things that were done and the quality of the work done). Here is an article that discusses this:
https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/buying-a-used-or-restored-piano-buying-a-restored-piano/

Thank you! I just read it and will keep this for reference. Stilwell usually has many "restored" M&H As. I need to get over there for a visit.

AndreaH #3197648 02/27/22 10:12 AM
S
PW Gold Subscriber
PW Gold Subscriber
S

Thank you! I just read it and will keep this for reference. Stilwell usually has many "restored" M&H As. I need to get over there for a visit.

They have a Schimmel 208 made in 1997 for $20,000

Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Pianodisc PDS-128+ calibration
by Dalem01 - 04/15/24 04:50 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,384
Posts3,349,159
Members111,630
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission