2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
47 members (Calavera, Carey, Abdol, Anevsky, anamnesis, accordeur, 80k, 16 invisible), 4,538 guests, and 329 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
I am looking for some help on the value of an original Falcone 74 grand piano. I recently visited a piano shop in the Northeast that had one in their showroom. I fell in love with the piano, it's touch, tone , power, dynamics were stunning. The more I played it, the more it spoke to me. The shop owner told me that it was handcrafted in the early 1980s in Haverhill, MA and they were only made for a decade, making them somewhat difficult to come by. My online research seemed to back this all up. He told me he was selling it on consignment and the asking price was $22,000. They have an excellent reputation as piano restorers but he explained that this piano had not been restored but was inexcellent condition and his shop would warranty it for 5 years. I left there feeling like I had found my dream piano and the price seemed fair for a 7'4" grand piano of this esteem. But then I called another local piano dealer and got completely different information. This dealer told me that Falcones were made by Samick and this piano was way overpriced. He said he could sell me a much better Kawai for half the price. I told him that this was an original Falcone, not Chinese but he insisted that even those pianos were imported from Samick. When I told this to the shop owner of the Falcone, he said that this dealer was either very misinformed or very dishonest. Can anyone clarify this for me please? I love this piano but I don't want to overpay for this extremely big investment for me.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
This is from another piano forum: made in US. Not Samick

https://www.pianostreet.com/smf/index.php?topic=539.0

Registered for business in 1980s in Mass
https://www.bizapedia.com/ma/falcone-piano-company-inc.html

Company with same name, but not same company, now in China

https://rec.music.makers.piano.narkive.com/mwx8Ks9k/falcone-pianos-made-in-china

I think some of the techs here may have direct experience. You might post this on the tech forum
If you decide to proceed, please get a private tech inspection.

Last edited by dogperson; 02/07/22 04:35 PM.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Dear Jane:

I've liked every one of the original Falcones that I've played. Based on my experiences with the full range of Falcone pianos, I'd rate that 7'4" as rather under priced.

Of course, you must have it inspected by a trusted tech.

Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I was one of the very few Falcone dealers back in the day. It was made in the current Mason factory, and in fact, Santi Falcone built that factory. If you like the piano go for it

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Hi janeclassicalove88!

I am very familiar with the original Falcone pianos. I know Santi and his pianos were beautiful. The sales person you are dealing with has no idea what you were playing. Unfortunately, when Santi left the business, his name went with the building and company. A Chinese outfit wound up with the rights to the name and the rest is history.

I agree with Karl Watson. The 7'4" Falcone could be quite a beautiful instrument. I suggest having it examined by an independent technician, but rest assured that it was originally a spectacular piano.

Share the serial number if you have it. Good luck!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham
K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Dear, dear Rich:

Thanks for your last. The original Falcones were beautiful pianos. I was beginning to wonder what had happened to our lovely forum. Makes me miss our Marty, of happy memory, all the more.

Karl

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Karl Watson
Dear, dear Rich:

Thanks for your last. The original Falcones were beautiful pianos. I was beginning to wonder what had happened to our lovely forum. Makes me miss our Marty, of happy memory, all the more.

Karl

Thankfully, you and I (and many others) are still here. This is a great place to spend a little time because I am among friends like you, Karl. Thank you for your input and friendship.... but I still miss Marty, too.

Cheers!

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
I played a real Santi-built Falcone once--I don't remember its length. I thought, and another person agreed, that the action felt quite heavy.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Roy123
I played a real Santi-built Falcone once--I don't remember its length. I thought, and another person agreed, that the action felt quite heavy.

Roy,

That could very well have been, but that was not the factory spec., for sure. (Of course, heavy to one pianist is sometimes perfect for another and I don't know your perspective).

However, a Falcone action, just like other fine pianos, could have the action customized to an extent to please the pianist. It is also possible that the voicing of this particular piano could have influenced your perception of the weight. As pianists, our perception of touch and tone is continually intermingled, and a difference in one can sometimes be interpreted by our ears and brains as a difference in the other.

My 2 cents,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I hope the OP will return with an update 😊

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Originally Posted by Rich Galassini

Roy,

That could very well have been, but that was not the factory spec., for sure. (Of course, heavy to one pianist is sometimes perfect for another and I don't know your perspective).

However, a Falcone action, just like other fine pianos, could have the action customized to an extent to please the pianist. It is also possible that the voicing of this particular piano could have influenced your perception of the weight. As pianists, our perception of touch and tone is continually intermingled, and a difference in one can sometimes be interpreted by our ears and brains as a difference in the other.

My 2 cents,
Hi Rich,

You make lots of good points, as always. I played this particular piano only for a few moments as it was in a jazz club. It was there because it was being showcased by the Falcone company. Several professional pianists played it during the course of the evening, and one or more remarked on the heavy action. After the performance, I had the opportunity to play a few notes because I knew one of the people that worked at the club. It sure felt heavy to me. Of course, this event was a long time ago, so some details have faded.

Platinum Subscriber
Platinum Subscriber
Hi Rich,

You make lots of good points, as always. I played this particular piano only for a few moments as it was in a jazz club. It was there because it was being showcased by the Falcone company. Several professional pianists played it during the course of the evening, and one or more remarked on the heavy action. After the performance, I had the opportunity to play a few notes because I knew one of the people that worked at the club. It sure felt heavy to me. Of course, this event was a long time ago, so some details have faded.

Hi Roy,

Thanks for responding. I did not mean invalidate your personal experience. There are so many things that could have gone into that situation from factory prep., to prep. at the venue, to the particular piano you played, the environment, etc.

I have just never experienced a Falcone I would call "heavy", so I thought I would throw in my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
R
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
R
Your 2 cents are always worth 10 times that.

J
J
OP - I'm curious if you ended up purchasing that Falcone Model 74 you were looking at. I'm considering purchasing one from a dealer in the Pacific Northwest, and I'm trying to nail down what a fair price to pay would be. The only other one I can find for sale online right now is in Rockland, MA listed on pianomart.com for $25K, so that's all I have to go from.

Anyone else have thoughts on a fair price for a Falcone 74 in good condition? The serial number of the one I was looking at is in the low 1300s.

Thanks!

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Happy 4th!
Happy 4th of July
Happy 4th!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Yamaha U3 or equivalent upright
by Tom Ryshka - 07/05/22 01:35 AM
A comparison of two very different pianos!
by Joseph Fleetwood - 07/04/22 02:17 PM
Home Studio Recordings on Bosendorfer 225
by James Gordon - 07/04/22 01:39 PM
Looking for good online piano course for beginner
by mwsheeler - 07/04/22 12:12 PM
How do I measure latency on a Windows Machine?
by Bruce In Philly - 07/04/22 12:02 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,802
Posts3,205,422
Members105,714
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission