2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
52 members (Chompoo, CountSmith, Carey, AJB, AndreaH, 80k, astrotoy, AprilE, 12 invisible), 3,728 guests, and 272 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by AndresVel
03. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Sonata in B minor, K. 27 Yeah!! more Scarlatti. Depending on the day, this one is my favorite Scarlatti sonata, I am glad you decided to work on it. It was a very nice listening experience, the voicing was on point, you never lost the singing melody and played nicely with the other voices. The sound of your piano is also lovely. The only tiny bit where I would still invest some time is on the trill on bar 27. You lost a bit the rhythm there to pair it with the right hand. But otherwise this was a very good submission. I cannot wait to reach a level like yours and tackle this beautiful sonata.

Thanks! I fully agree on the trill. I think trills didn't come along as I wanted to in neither of the parts. They are not rhythmically stable and I have trouble controlling dynamics with them, so they stick out like a sore thumb somewhat. Perhaps the most difficult things for me in this sonata were keeping the steadiness in check (you can easily hear fingers 4-5 falling apart) and having a decent range of dynamics. Because it's mainly non-legato, I rarely get below mf here, which is a shame. I can't wait to re-record it in a year or two and see how this improves. Try that one yourself! I was sure I wasn't ready for this, but it was a great ride.

Originally Posted by tyschoco
03. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Sonata in B minor, K. 27

At first glance, this recital seems like it has a higher amount of Scarlatti, which i find somewhat interesting.
First impression, very good choice of tempo and well controlled. Love the interaction with the inner voice and outer voice in the middle part of the A section. The rest of the piece is played very cleanly and its a very convincing interpretation. Good job!

I had the same thought about Scarlatti in this recital. I can't help but smile, I enjoy his works a lot. Thanks for the comment! I'm glad you liked it.

Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
03. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Sonata in B minor, K. 27

I don't hear the imperfections that you are talking about and I think it sounds great. I played this piece not long ago but it was much worse than your version.
To me that tempo is perfect and I think Michelangeli played it too fast. I would just add more dynamic contrasts to make it more expressive. If you haven't seen the tutorial by antune check it out: https://www.youtube.com/c/Antune
Pozdrowienia!

I haven't worked with Antune videos, but I've seen Claire Huangci's Tonebase video as well Shirley Kirsten's. First and foremost, I worked on this one with my teacher. While I wanted to keep my mind open and learned a lot from different performances, notes or tutorials, I try to not be all over the place with my learning sources. I fully agree that it would benefit from more dynamic contrasts. Thanks for the kind comments! Pozdrowienia!

Originally Posted by ranjit
03. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Sonata in B minor, K. 27 Wow! This is splendid. I can imagine all the practice that must have gone into developing that consistent a touch.

Thanks! I'm glad you liked it! Yes, it took quite a while to get this up to the standard where I felt it's okay for me to record and share. However, I'm pretty certain it will be one of the lifelong pieces that will get better with time and my experience at the keyboard. I personally don't think my touch is too consistent here! It could surely be better! That's the kind of self-esteem you get by listening to hours on end of top-tier concert performances though ;-) It's just never enough ;-)

Best!
Mateusz

Mateusz Papiernik
https://maticomp.net
"One man can make a difference" - Wilton Knight
Kawai CN21 (digital), Henryk Yamayuri Kawai NX-40 (grand)
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
F
F
Originally Posted by Flygbladet
Originally Posted by Qazsedcft
Originally Posted by Flygbladet
The Gavotte : just one place. I didn´t like the lingering on the of-note at 2:18-2:19. At first I thought it was a mistake, but since repeated was it your own ornament? Checked the score and couldn´t find it. If not by mistake, and something you added to spice it up, I think it sort of sticks out a bit to much smile
Actually, if you're talking about the falling accent (C-B) in measure 3, that's notated in the Henle edition. Andras Schiff plays it like that on the repeat. Personally, I don't think it sticks out.

Yes. I seen the answer. It just sounded odd to me and I went in to look at the score that was posted on the recital. So I understand it was added in by the score actually being used.. I just had to look up some other pianist playing this one and haven't yet found any one else using that ornament - but would like to find if you have one?

Found it. What an oddity. Still do not like it as part of the piece. smile
But still enjoyed every part of the preformance.

T
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by AndresVel
34. thepianoplayer416 - Blue Skies Lovely melody. I have to listen to the song now. I noticed you recorded this with your video camera. Have you considered recording the sound of the piano directly to your laptop? I think this will improve the quality of your recording and will also help you assess better your playing when listening back to your recording. Thank you for sharing.

Before I got the Yamaha P-125 last year, my old Yamaha keyboard didn't have a line-out. My way of recording was using a camera. I did plug in the line-out to a computer and recorded the "default" piano sound. After listening to both versions felt that the recording with echoes in the room (kitchen) is the authentic sound of the performance. It's like listening to a piece in a concert hall, auditorium or church, the acoustics of the room would contribute to the soundtrack. I wouldn't be performing in church if the recording is the default piano sample recorded on a computer.

Thanks for your feedback...

9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
Jus' so's y'all know. I forgot to press a critique selection . . .Any criticisms from you lot . . just send 'em all in! Then it's my choice what I do with them. . . :stupid grin:

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Rickster
Secondly, I don't believe I heard a single "beginner" in the group. I was impressed with all the performances, and some were quite advanced.
Yes, this surprised me as well. Everyone was at the very least intermediate, maybe even late intermediate. I certainly hope we're not driving away beginners from posting here!

There aren't any beginners to drive away, at least in the recitals. They don't participate very often, although there is nothing stopping them. We've had a handful of beginners over the years. But beginners don't stay beginners very long. And playing for others can be intimidating.

The recitals are open to anyone, at any level, playing any type of music. All I can do is provide the opportunity and try to be encouraging.

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by peterws
Jus' so's y'all know. I forgot to press a critique selection . . .Any criticisms from you lot . . just send 'em all in! Then it's my choice what I do with them. . . :stupid grin:

I would offer some critique, Peter, but I honestly can't think of any. I can think of plenty of positives, however. In fact, your performance was among the best, in my view. Most of all, I liked the creativity and originality that went into your piece. smile

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
My first set of comments. I'm commenting mostly on the pieces where performers asked for constructive feedback (Anything goes!).

03. Mateusz 'Mati' Papiernik - Sonata in B minor, K. 27 Beautiful sonata and performance. I think your tempo is fine. If you plan to continue working on it, my suggestion is to bring out those bass notes and let them ring. Also your sound level is all pretty much the same and the performance would be more compelling if your dynamics were more varied. I did not hear crescendos to forte or decrescendos to piano. I’m trying to figure out myself how to make Scarlatti sonatas musical. I think one way is to never play repeated phrases and sections the same way twice.

05. Marklings - Sonata KV 280 in F Major, 1st part Very enjoyable performance. I thought your articulation, fluidity, pedaling and trills were in keeping with the Mozart sound. My only nit-picky comment is that I didn’t hear the dynamic changes written in the score between the forte and piano phrases throughout this movement. With the exception of your forte LH octaves, the rest of the piece was played with little dynamic contrast.

09. sinophilia - Prelude Op. 2 No. 2 Really nice performance. I think you could shape the triplets a bit more. Think of the 1st note of the triplet in the LH being connected to the 8 notes in the RH to create one longer phrase. The final phrase and your ppp was lovely.

11. navindra (Navindra Umanee) - Bluebird Enjoyable performance with convincing expression. If you lighten up the LH and make it less loud, I think the piece will sound more fluid as you won’t hear the 1-2-3 beat in every measure. Try contrasting repeated phrases with different dynamic levels, which is more engaging for the listener.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
3. Mateusz. - Mati, well done my friend!!! Beautifully played. Wonderful command and so smooth. I could listen (and watch) this all day.

Originally Posted by Sam S
Secondly, I don't believe I heard a single "beginner" in the group. I was impressed with all the performances, and some were quite advanced.
Yes, this surprised me as well. Everyone was at the very least intermediate, maybe even late intermediate. I certainly hope we're not driving away beginners from posting here!

There aren't any beginners to drive away, at least in the recitals. They don't participate very often, although there is nothing stopping them. We've had a handful of beginners over the years. But beginners don't stay beginners very long. And playing for others can be intimidating.

The recitals are open to anyone, at any level, playing any type of music. All I can do is provide the opportunity and try to be encouraging.

Sam

Thanks for all your efforts here, Sam, and for all you do to make the quarterly recitals on the ABF happen.

I'm a newcomer to the ABF recital, but I can easily see your work, behind the scenes and on your own time, to make it all happen. I was very impressed with the well organized and user friendly digital forms and templates while posting my recording.

I had forgotten that you are a pro IT person as well as an outstanding pianist! smile

And, you are an encourager, if there ever was one...

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
4. Sam (and Tootles)- Great playing you guys. And who the heck is Decruck? smile It does have bit of a Debussy/Ravel sound.

6. MarieJ- Yes... hypnotic is a good description. Very enjoyable.

3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
[/b]7. Peter- Yea... I would not call that anywhere close to "sad". And where is it on your youtube channel? I found bike trip 3 but not 4? Bike trip is a good name for it. It has a very free wheeling down the road feeling to it.

[b]15 Rickster-
It's been a long time since I listened to you play without also watching you. Nicdre song rRck and your playing and singing are wonderful as always.

13. Kevin- Well played Kevin. And what a nice sound from that keyboard.

T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
04. Sam S - Cantilene
That is beautiful, Sam, and exquisitely played; my kind of music, or at least one of them. I shall add Decruck to my shortlist of composers as she obviously had a strikingly evocative command of serene free harmony and lyricism. I am reminded of the English composers of that era I am fond of, Bax, Delius, Bridge, Ireland and Finzi; I suppose everyone influenced everybody else around that time though. A real treat, I have listened four times so far.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
@AndresVel: Thank you for commenting! I had the opportunity to use the sound of church bells (courtesy of Pianoteq), so I naturally wanted to do that for this piece, but then I thought about increasing the realism by having it sound as if in a church. The whispering was taken from three separate ASMR videos on Youtube. smile

Roland FP-30, Roland E-28
Galaxy II Grand piano collection, Synthogy Ivory II Studio Grands, Production Voices Estate Grand, Garritan CFX Lite, Pianoteq 7.5.2 (Blüthner, Bechstein DG, Grotrian, Steinway D, K2)
M
M
Originally Posted by PianogrlNW
05. Marklings - Sonata KV 280 in F Major, 1st part Very enjoyable performance. I thought your articulation, fluidity, pedaling and trills were in keeping with the Mozart sound. My only nit-picky comment is that I didn’t hear the dynamic changes written in the score between the forte and piano phrases throughout this movement. With the exception of your forte LH octaves, the rest of the piece was played with little dynamic contrast.

Yeah, I think you're right, I need to work on that. Truth be told this is at the edge of my abilities, so I'm so concentrated on other stuff and dynamics can get lost in the process . . .Thanks for the comment.

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by Sam S

Sam

There are quite a number of recordings posted in the ABF on different threads: the 40 piece challenge, Piano Marvel etc.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
30. bSharp(C)yclist (Dan) - Nocturne No. 20 in C# minor

Are you using fingers 3-4 on that trill at measure 11? 😲 I would never use those fingers (too clumsy). I liked your performance although I think your wife is right wink especially the ending should be more delicate. But I know how challenging it is to play those scale runs and yours sound pretty effortless. It was very nice listening to this.

As for suggestions, I don't know what style of piece you want to learn next. For Romantic era pieces in a similar style October from The Seasons op. 37 by Tchaikovsky is about the same difficulty as Lento con gran espressione.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
01. QuasiUnaFantasia - Esquisses Op. 63,4: Les Cloches
Well, I didn't expect that. It was very creative. 👍

04. Sam S - Cantilene
Oh, nice! A duet! Synchronizing with others is also something I just started to try doing (for now the "others" is just myself recorded wink ). Your smiles at the end that was priceless. smile

44. Tyschoco - French Suite No.5 in G Major, Sarabande and Gavotte
Wow! That was a superb performance! The ornaments were tasteful and really well executed. You asked for critical comments but I don't actually have any criticism only praise. The only improvement I could suggest is to vary your repeats in the Gavotte as it's a short piece. Perhaps add some ornaments or play them differently the second time. But that's really being picky because it was a great performance.

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
02. Calavera - Ending Theme [from Final Fantasy VIII]

I can really hear that you love this music. It's like you're excited of telling this great story and tell it with great conviction. Funny, I never really considered exploring video game music but your performance intrigued me and I went to search for other pieces by Uematsu. Do you know if there are any real printed books with his music for sale? All I could find was digital sheet music.

T
T
11. navindra (Navindra Umanee) - Bluebird
Such a beautiful work, you are to be commended on your playing for this. Very clean pedaling even on the hybrid instrument and you have good musical intent especially in the video, your body moves nicely with the music. A little cleaning up of the double thirds in the latter half of the piece would aid it polishing it to perfection. Also, perhaps you could take some dynamic variation. For example, i noticed in the official music video, the upward lilts are like echoes and perhaps some clearer delineation of the phrases would serve your interpretation, Very good job!

12. Kepijapa - Partita No.6 In E Minor, BWV 830 - 1. Toccata
First Bach other than my own submission, and the virtuosic Toccata no less!

A fair attempt at this monster of a piece. Certainly no small feat to play it they way you currently have. I appreciate the moments where you choose to bring out the left hand over the right and attempt at shaping (although sometimes bordering on a little too much rubato)

A suggestion from a fellow learner, as the Toccata is fairly common for most 2nd and 3rd year undergraduates conservatory majors, it may be prudent to consider exploring his Preludes and Fugues or maybe even his inventions before attempting to learn the entire toccata. As you may find it easier to learn the toccata when you start from a more comprehensible place. Furthermore, the Toccata is defined as being a virtuosic piece. Meaning it has to some extent, it has to be rather fast and very very in control of the player.

An analogy would be when learning a new language, it is incredibly hard to pick up a 500 word prose in a foreign language with advanced vocabulary, and memorize every single word's meaning, It may take weeks of rote memorization to get it and may still feel fragmented. Whereas, if you come from a more comprehensible place and build your language from there, you may find it takes significantly less time to comprehend the same 500 prose after a year later.

Just a suggestion for improvement, a good attempt nonetheless and hope to see you in the next recital smile

13. KevinM - Sonata in C K545 3rd Movement Rondo

This has to be one of the top 10 hits on this forum.

A good rendition of it! The tempo at the beginning is actually fairly respectable and would be likely enhance on an acoustic instrument with crisper articulation. The piece is generally quite secure and its good work on a rather challenging intermediate sonata (In my opinion, a lot of people severely underestimate the amount of technical ability required to play this sonata, especially with many teachers deeming it as a beginner piece, Mozart's Viennese Sonatinas are technically his easiest 'sonatas' imo)

While i know you said no suggestion for improvement, i do just want to kindly point out the variation in tempo when the alberti bass comes in (when the left hand gets busy). Since your starting tempo and right hand scales are already in a nice tempo, it would enhance your playing if you kept to a similar tempo in those sections. Good work!

15. Rickster - Road to Somewhere
Very interesting self composition! Very enjoyable harmonic journey in the song and really good singer too! Thoroughly enjoyed it!

18. Purrblast - Etude in G minor, Impatience
Good! Very clean and very stable scale passages for the tempo you chose, even on the digital instrument. Your pulse is stable and your rhythms are pretty much correct. Good of pedal and dynamic control, and awareness of the textural changes.

Keep working on your technique and scales so you can play etudes like these at a standard allegro (usually 126-138 in most editions and concert performances). Since you are already at a 100 and stable, seems like only a matter of time. Good work smile

19. facdo - Mazurka in A minor Op.17 No.4
Someone i know is also playing this. So this will be interesting!

Off the bat, good job voicing that inner melody in the left hand! Your little cadenza flourishes are done rather tastefully with very little ghosting. So that is to be commended! I like some of the shaping ideas that you are doing (a suggestion from your teacher perhaps?), you seem very aware of the different ideas in the work and your attempts to bring out the contrast are definitely coming through.

The only critique i that some places feel like an accelerando as opposed to a clean rubato (robbing of) time. Other than that, perhaps consult with your teacher (if you still have one?) on a slightly 'deeper' touch in certain places for a more singing tone, to avoid sounding harsh in some places. Some detached articulated places could have a slightly slower attack on the notes to avoid it sounding too bouncy, and instead being seen as more as a portato articulation.

Your Kawai RX-2 should be able to respond these subtlety in touch so keep up the good work!

40. Flygbladet - A path to the forest
I really do love vibey pieces like this, one day you guys needs to collectively teach me how to compose stuff like this. Very nice use of extended harmonies (9th and 11th chords etc.) The way you play it really sets the atmosphere and the playing is very clean despite the weird polyrhythms and harp-like arppegios flourished. Very much enjoyed it!

@AndresVel Thanks for the kind comments! Can't wait to hear your Album Fur Die Jugend btw, (doing that in my next session)
Unfortunately i won't be playing the entire Suite for the exam (Its too hard lol). The Courante is beyond my current technical control and since i have yet to cover the 3 Part inventions, the Gigue and the Allemande won't be able to be played with sufficient attention to the contrapuntal texture. I simply took out the Sarabande and Gavotte as they are the only 'intermediate' movements and the rest of my (15 mins) programme are intermediate pieces from the other eras of music. Maybe in a couple of years i can play that for an Associate Diploma exam haha!

Thanks everyone else for the highly encouraging feedback laugh

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
WOW!! Too many wonderful performances for me to even write about! Wonderful job, everyone, and also thank you for replies to my piece. Replies were correct, this is not really an easy piece and I didn’t even realize it was level 7 RCM until I looked it up yesterday, lol. Mea culpa! I should probably have picked something more at my level, but it was a last minute decision. 😂

I enjoyed all the performance is a great deal, and I hope to participate again in the future!❤️😍😊

Lisa
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645
Page 2 of 10 1 2 3 4 9 10

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Learn to Burn!
by Dfrankjazz - 07/01/22 12:36 AM
Summer school in UK
by FarmGirl - 06/30/22 11:12 PM
Recommended tech in NYC?
by skern49 - 06/30/22 07:39 PM
UEFI / BIOS settings regarding CPU
by David Lai - 06/30/22 07:26 PM
When you play the real Rhodes...
by Rhodes74 - 06/30/22 06:23 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,754
Posts3,204,571
Members105,685
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission