2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
62 members (Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, anotherscott, bcalvanese, 8 invisible), 1,776 guests, and 307 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
M
Majoo Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hello,

I’m deciding between:
Yamaha C3X or C2x
Kawai GX3 or GX2
Irmler Professional by Bluthner (175E or 160E)

All of them are brand new.

In terms of size, ~170 cm will be perfect. But size is not the deal breaker for now.

So I would like to get opinion if one should choose only from these three brands/options, which one you will recommend.

Thank you.

M
Majoo Offline OP
OP Offline
M
I should also note that the Irmler I just mentioned will be the Europe edition (professional), not the studio edition that is manufactured in China.

Thank you.

8000 Post Club Member
8000 Post Club Member
I would like to get opinion if one should choose only from these three brands/options, which one you will recommend.

I would recommend you choose the one that sounds best to your ear and feels
best under your fingers.

But, having said that, I would want to know why you are limited to only these brands? If you're buying new, you must a pretty generous piano budget, why not branch out?

Where are you located?

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Yamaha CX and Kawai GX are regarded as equivalent quality by the trade. My preference is for Yamaha, but I've played some nice examples of Kawai pianos too. Irmler is a good instrument but it's not the same standard as the Japanese instruments. Let me put it this way, if all three models were the same price, I'd pick Yamaha. Others might pick Kawai, but in terms of build and longevity, go for the Japanese instrument. If the Irmler is significantly lower in price, then it changes things but be aware that you're not comparing equivalent products. I believe Irmler to be a good quality entry to mid-entry level instrument. Yamaha CX and Kawai GX are professional quality instruments.

If you were comparing Shigeru Kawai, Yamaha CF, and Blüthner pianos that would be a more accurate comparison although in the USA the Blüthner is a much more expensive piano than the Yamaha CF, but it is not in the UK.

YAMAHA Artist
M
Majoo Offline OP
OP Offline
M
South East Asia, specifically Indonesia.

Yes we dont have much options here. The European piano will be rare, even the Japanese upscale. Here there are no pianos on display for higher type such as Shigeru Kawai so if I intend to buy that, it will be a blind purchase since I could not find one to try first.

In terms of price, yes, those three brands and types I mentioned above are the same. The price comparison between European and Japanese pianos is quite far. Part of the reason will be due to the import tax duties.

M
Majoo Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Here we dont have many options, which is why I am specific with the brand and types. I have been grown up with Yamaha since kids and familiar with their pianos. I am aware that the European piano here is quite rare therefore the high price reflects on its very limited supply.

As for the Irmler grand piano, we only have the professional type (regarded as Irmler Europe) here, and so I am curious about the difference with the Irmler studio type (China). In fact, with around the same budget, let say Irmler Europe 160E/175E, one could get a bigger size of grand piano with Yamaha/Kawai.

It seems that Yamaha will be the safest choice. However, it is just that I love this Irmler Europe after trying several times. I am keen to know about the spec, and thanks to you as you have given me more information regarding the Irmler components on the other thread.

Let say I exclude Kawai, the options will now only be Yamaha C1/2/3X & Irmler Europe (160E/175E). Can we tell that both of them are using premium component? After you mentioned about Irmler Europe using Renner action, Abel hammer, also the regulation or voicing is done in a part of Bluthner factory in Germany, I think it should be comparable with Yamaha?

J
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
J
Which of the pianos do you prefer? If you prefer Irmler and you are happy with the quality then that’s the piano you should buy.

I’m surprised that Irmler grands are the same price as Yamaha in your country because they’re significantly cheaper in Europe. Please note that prices don’t always reflect a meaningful difference in objective quality.

YAMAHA Artist
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
I think if the choice was between a Hassler,a GX or a CX, I may choose the Hassler? In this case I would choose either a C, CX or the GX and I would not be able to tell you which one until I have tried them over and over on different days.Choose the one you love.I have only once ever tried a new Irmler upright.It had the lightest touch or key resistance I ever played.I do love a "fairly light", smooth, responsive touch, but it must "never run away"

My piano's voice is my voice to God and the great unknown universe, and to those I love.
In other words a hymn. That is all, but that is enough. tre corda

T
T
Greetings from a fellow Indonesian.
I agree Indonesia is one of the worst place to buy piano,
there is not many good piano brands here.
And you have to buy blindly for most brands,
there is no floor models to try.
I have been looking to buy a new piano for a long time with no luck.

I am thinking to go to Japan or Europe or USA and pick the pianos over there,
sadly Yamaha Indonesia does not allow that, only Kawai Indonesia.
so after covid is over, I might do that.

Actually I prefer CX sound and touch to GX, but that is my preference,
but the yamaha dealer here is a pita to deal with,
so, I erase yamaha from my list.

Feel free to pm me if you need more information.

M
Majoo Offline OP
OP Offline
M
@tre corda
Unfortunately there is no Hassler option here, its either Irmler Europe professional or Bluthner. But Bluthner is way above.

@tirta
Greetings!
Yes it is true in the context of finding a grand piano as the market demand is more toward upright (perhaps).

T
T
you can search other threads about Irmler in this forum and at pianobuyer.com, bur most people will say that Yamaha / Kawai is the better / saver choice.

have you tried playing Estonia at that same store?

R
R
The GX3 and C3X would be preferable in quality to the smaller ones in the same series. Kawai versus Yamaha seems to be a matter of taste (assuming equivalent models), as some prefer and some the other. But both are safe, high quality products. If there was any doubt about the Irmler, I wouldn't take the risk.

Yamaha S4
C
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
C
Originally Posted by Majoo
The European piano will be rare
I would be wary about this, as in who will honor the warranty, if there is no official local representation of the brand (is there?) What I'm trying to say is if you won't enjoy the peace of mind of a 10 year warranty, you might as well broaden your options by considering used pianos. With used pianos you can try them out in person, have broader selections, and better value as the price already depreciated. Just my 2 cents.

A rising tide lifts all the boats

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission