2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
37 members (80k, cauldron, Alex C, Burkey, BobTB, Burkhard, Animisha, brennbaer, 8 invisible), 641 guests, and 223 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 45 of 46 1 2 43 44 45 46
D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Originally Posted by Lx20
Been sitting on "Camptown Races" for a while...got to play with it using manageable techniques/tools.

👍

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
Duane Shinn - 52 Week Crash Course - Completed
Duane Shinn - Praise and Gospel Course - In Progress
Greg Howlett - Inspirational Improvisation - In Progress
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Hi everyone. I just took the time to read about the Duane Shinn course and watch David B's review video on it. It sounds quite interesting, especially the arrangement side of it. I'm also tempted by the "Pro Secrets" course, but believe it would be wise to complete the 52-week course first.

I saw a few posts back that there were two discount periods in November and December of last year and I wonder how you guys learned about these discounts in a timely manner. Was it pure luck that you visited the site when the discounts were being offered? The full price of the digital course is a bit steep at $900, so if there's any chance of a 30% discount coming back, even if I need to wait until December 2022, I'll wait for it.

Thank you!

Talão

Yamaha U3 and Kawai MP11SE
My piano journey (playing since July 2019)
10 weeks into Duane Shinn's 52-Week Crash Course
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Talão
… I wonder how you guys learned about these discounts in a timely manner. Was it pure luck that you visited the site when the discounts were being offered? …

It was an email they sent out for “Black Friday” and again a few weeks later. They were available for just 30 hours each time, I signed up for notifications of interest on their website. Good idea to sign up.

I had only seen such a discount once before, several years ago. You might be waiting a long time for the next one. Think of how much learning you will miss during that time.

Last edited by WBLynch; 01/21/22 04:08 PM.

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
Originally Posted by WBLynch
… I wonder how you guys learned about these discounts in a timely manner. Was it pure luck that you visited the site when the discounts were being offered? …

It was an email they sent out for “Black Friday” and again a few weeks later. They were available for just 30 hours each time, I signed up for notifications of interest on their website. Good idea to sign up.

I had only seen such a discount once before, several years ago. You might be waiting a long time for the next one. Think of how much learning you will miss during that time.

Thank you, Bill! I'll sign up for the notifications. You make a good point. I have to think about this.

Talão

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
Think of how much learning you will miss during that time.

Talao,

I would agree with Bill. Most of us always look for opportunities to save money. If feels good when we can. However, the 52 Week course is a pretty big endeavor. 52 weeks is really a misnomer in my opinion. According to Duane it's actually 3 years of material.

Personally, I wouldn't wait a year to start it even if I could save a couple hundred bucks. Of course, that's relative to what your financial situation is like. If you think you can benefit from the 52 week course then I would start it ASAP. The 52 week course will lay a foundation for a lot of what you might want to accomplish musically in the future. Spending time on other endeavors (to save a few bucks) before you start the 52 week course might not actually get you closer to where you'd like to be. This is just my opinion for what it's worth. I wish you the best in your musical journey.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
L
L
Hi Talao!

I second the opinions of Bill and David B. I had actually bought the course way way back (when actually no discounts were offered). So whenever I see one pop up it catches my eye Lol! (But honestly I think I have only seen a discount maybe 3 or 4 times like ever). With that said, I tried some of the course, and had too much of an ego, so I did not approach it the way I should have and quit. It was put away for several years I would say. After revisiting this thread and seeing so many of David B's examples and the insights of other piano players trying the course, I got excited and have since given it another try. Now I am on this journey again.

With that said, I have tried many many online offerings, not all of course, but the 52 week course connects with me the best. I enjoy the style he teaches, I like that there is a curriculum to follow. It's neat to get to see the mind of a great piano player at work and trying to coach you (without having to see you). And some of the sounds he creates even sounds contemporary even to this day. Lately, it has been taking me about a month to get through a week. So really, the crash course in a year isn't really accurate. Like David B says, it will probably take several years to complete - so with that mindset, it's relatively a discount. I know there are many other course offerings you probably could get for cheaper, but this is one of the most fabulous resources out there in my opinion.

It is an investment, so look at the early pages of this thread. Check out David B's journey through it with his wonderful examples - and see if that's your cup of tea and if you're ready to endure. Best of luck on your piano endeavors!

Thank you, David B and Lx20 for adding your points of view to my question. I'm now leaning more toward buying it regardless of the discount. I sent an email to them via the "contact us" form on the website asking about the discount (to see if I could still get it given it ended only last month). I'll wait a few days to see if they respond before pulling the trigger.

Talão

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
I believe they should cut all the prices drastically, considering the demise of Duane and his successors have done nothing to add value. One would think at least one of them would pick up the mantle and continue the legacy.

L
L
Thank you, David B and Lx20 for adding your points of view to my question. I'm now leaning more toward buying it regardless of the discount. I sent an email to them via the "contact us" form on the website asking about the discount (to see if I could still get it given it ended only last month). I'll wait a few days to see if they respond before pulling the trigger.

Good strategy! You might get lucky! Hoping for the best - especially if it's something you might want to pursue.

I believe they should cut all the prices drastically, considering the demise of Duane and his successors have done nothing to add value. One would think at least one of them would pick up the mantle and continue the legacy.

Agree - especially with all the competition out there. Without Duane to promote, it might be hard.

D
D
Talao,

As you’ve already seen, the nice thing about the course, and one which Duane mentions, is that once you have purchased it then it is forever yours. I bought mine about 2012, and have probably started and stopped at least a half dozen times as life has intervened. No prior excursion adversely affects my current efforts. I did get through most of the course once, playing as written, so now that I am back at it I find that the prior experience has set me up to be able to try to learn various arranging techniques this time.

Doc
Working through all the LH variations introduced through Lesson 12. I’m also using the Alfred Adult All in One in parallel. It contains a bit more ‘theory’ instruction and keeps my sessions fresh.

Last edited by Docc; 01/29/22 07:03 PM. Reason: Signature needs revision - out of date
L
L
My latest attempt comes from week 30 - "Marine Hymn." This took me a while to get the feel of the walk downs with the octaves going on in the right hand. For the different part of the song, I wanted to attempt a different technique. Hopefully it works. I must admit, that I sat on this song for a bit. It was hard to feel it in my fingers at first. Really just practiced (and even kind of lost interest) ... and then the interest came back. I know it's not perfect, but I think it's good enough to record and then move on from here. There is one more song in week 30 that focuses on basically the same technique(s). I have yet to decide if I will attempt it or move onto the next week. Haven't made up my mind yet though ...

I bought the course and will start today! (The books arrived last night.) My plan is to take my time and go through each week very deliberately and only move on when I'm satisfied that I fully learned what it is teaching. I'll alternate that with my other usual work on classical pieces that my teacher assigns me. I feel like pairing these two threads of learning will make me a more well-rounded pianist down the road.

I'll probably be posting in this thread as I run into questions or get stuck with some of the pieces :-) It's nice that some of you are already far ahead and some have completed the full course.

Cheers!

Talão

M
M
After reading thread and listening to the development of players, I will be looking forward to take the lessons in the 52 week course.
I plan to sigh up after the tax season - use tax refund.
Complete beginner but used to read music over 50 years ago.

Is the DVD the best option?
Did not recognize if members used the on-line option.

Looking forward to the journey and support of forum members
Myron

M
M
After reading thread and listening to the development of players, I will be looking forward to take the lessons in the 52 week course.
I plan to sign up after the tax season - use tax refund.
Complete beginner but used to read music over 50 years ago.

Looking forward to the journey and support of forum members
Myron

D
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
D
My latest attempt comes from week 30 - "Marine Hymn."

Good job. Looks like a fun song. I didn't record any songs from lesson 30 (don't remember why). I think it would be fun to try 16th notes on the left hand as your walking through the chords/octaves.

God Bless,
David

Yamaha AdvantGrand N1X
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
I had the DVD version. I liked having physical media because you never know when the web service might go out of business overnight. It has happened to me with other subscription services. Plus when my eyesight got so bad I could no longer read the music I was able to sell the package to another student for a good discount.

I still have a piano course I bought on VHS tape 30 years ago and I’m sure that’s no longer available anywhere. (But then, I never even watched it all 😂)

M
M
I had the DVD version. I liked having physical media because you never know when the web service might go out of business overnight. It has happened to me with other subscription services. Plus when my eyesight got so bad I could no longer read the music I was able to sell the package to another student for a good discount.

I still have a piano course I bought on VHS tape 30 years ago and I’m sure that’s no longer available anywhere. (But then, I never even watched it all 😂)

Assumed that would be possible - site may close down.
Appreciate your thoughts.
Thank you
Myron

L
L
Originally Posted by David B
My latest attempt comes from week 30 - "Marine Hymn."

Good job. Looks like a fun song. I didn't record any songs from lesson 30 (don't remember why). I think it would be fun to try 16th notes on the left hand as your walking through the chords/octaves.

David - that would be quite the challenge. I had a hard time initially with all those walk downs and then coordinating with right hand. But repetition and practice always helps. Maybe that's something I could try in the future. I'm thinking maybe you did not record since I feel this week and the week prior and even the week before, he may have been expanding on the last couple of songs - explaining, offering more variations - so maybe you thought the whole lesson was like that? Or, you didn't like the songs .... hahah!!! There could be so many reasons. I guess I should try "Jolly Good Fellow" ...

Originally Posted by MyronS
Myron

I have the DVD version of this course. I could imagine the online would also be good. But if you go that route, you might want to download all the lessons and keep them in a safe place, just in case the site does shut down or becomes unavailable. It's all personal preference.

Originally Posted by MyronS

I bought the digital version (no physical DVDs) and, like Lx20 suggested, plan to download all the videos and save them on a cloud drive just to be safe. So far I only watched the first two weeks, and they played just fine in the browser.

In fact, I started downloading them tonight. Each 4-week video is about 2.6GB. Ouch! Will leave the downloads going while I go to bed.

Talão

D
D
I bought the DVD version about 8 years ago. When the digital version became available, after Duane had passed away, I contacted them and they gave me the digital version at no added cost. I don’t know if they do that routinely, but they did for me. I use the DVDs mostly; the digital don’t seem to download consistently. I should note that I have purchased several of their shorter courses. Maybe that influenced their decisions.

I have been a start-stop-restart person. Probably on my fifth or sixth restart now, but finally seeing good progress. I attribute it to dedicating a minimum number of practice sessions to each lesson before moving on. For me, that number is 24 sessions per lesson. I’ll finish Lesson 13’s practice sessions today. It’ll take me 3 years to get through the entire course. 24 sessions can be anywhere from 6-14 days of practice on each lesson.

I am a septuagenarian so piano learning comes more slowly; 24 may be too many for a younger person who is a quicker learner. Now I spend my first session each day practicing hands separate entirely. Then each additional session of the day starts with one time hands separate, then hands together. Once I can play the piece competently as written, I use the rest of my 24 sessions trying various arranging techniques Duane introduces in the lesson, but I don’t let not having perfected the arranging techniques keep me from moving on after 24 lessons, especially to date the arranging techniques have been mostly labeled as ‘preview’ of things to come.

John Fieler
Shinn Lesson 13
Alfred’s, key-notes.com and fake books as adjunct materials

Last edited by Docc; 02/14/22 02:02 PM.
Page 45 of 46 1 2 43 44 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Haessler
by PianistEsq - 07/06/22 12:05 AM
Garritan CFX sustain problem
by mwf - 07/05/22 11:29 PM
First digital piano for my almost 6 year-old son.
by New2music - 07/05/22 10:54 PM
What Level is this Arrangement?
by showard - 07/05/22 09:36 PM
which piano? or other options?
by NJ_Piano_Mom - 07/05/22 08:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,823
Posts3,205,757
Members105,732
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission