2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
70 members (bob@pei, alexii, Animisha, BravoRomeo, anotherscott, bobrunyan, 18 invisible), 727 guests, and 309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
J
OP Offline
J
So my initial plan to do the VPC1 hit a snag - however, I’m still liking the idea of doing a VST-driven approach. As part of that, I’m now looking at the CA49 as a kind of VPC2, because I liked the VPC1 action so much. The CA59 was my first choice, but it seems there is little if any chance of getting one in the next 7-8 months in the US unless anyone has any pro tips here. smile

I do have 2 questions because my drive to even test a CA49 is a 6 (!) hour round trip, and I want to be pretty comfortable with my decision before I take that trip :
First, does the Grand Feel Compact have the infamous slip tape design, or was that only on the Grand Feel(s)?

Second, obviously the CA49 and VPC1 don’t have the same actions. I’ve read on these boards that the CA49 is lighter; does anyone have any idea how much lighter? I tried the original Grand Feel and though I didn’t hate it, it was a little too light for my taste compared to the VPC1 (I also felt the increased pivot length, but at some point the cost is just too high for my budget.)

Thanks in advance!

S
Online Content
S
I don't have any personal experience with the broader range of Kawai actions, but I can recommend these videos for you to get a better idea of what's going on physically:

Actions seen: RHC, RH3, GFC, GF2

Actions seen: GF2 and GF3

You can quite clearly see that with the GFC and GF3, they got rid of the slip tape.

Oh, and a RM3 vs GF1 comparison:

Apparently, the action is a fair bit lighter when you move up the key, but that's because the GF3 is longer and thus the top end of the key is a lot farther away from the pivot point. To my understanding, that's the entire point of Kawai having made every generation of the Grand Feel action another bit longer. With the GF3, the action should be equally long as an acoustic Grand. The GFC is, as the name says, more compact.

Last edited by steamrick; 01/29/22 03:44 AM.

Kawai CA79
V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
The CA49 does not have audio in. So, for VSTs, you will need to connect monitors and headphones to the computer or audio interface. Although in most cases external monitors largely surpass the quality of piano speakers, I find more convenient to have audio input and connect the headphones to the piano and listen through the internal speakers. If this does not matter to you (or if indeed you prefer it due to beteer audio quality) then the CA49 is enough and you don't need the CA59.

J
OP Offline
J
Thank you both!

Yes that makes sense that the Grand Feel would be a good bit lighter - I was specifically asking about the Compact to see if anyone had experience with both. I’m aware of the missing line in but appreciate the call out! Would definitely prefer the audio interface so I’m also looking at the FP90X and the CLP 745.

P
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
P
I had a CA58 with GFC action. I am not sure how similar it is the the one in CA4/59, but after a few months the action became terribly uneven with large differences in touch when playing softly, even for adjacent keys. I am pretty sure that this was due to the let-off simulation mechanism. This is some rubber notch. Some other members here have reported the same.

The above does not answer your question, but I would try to find out if Kawai address this issue in the updated GFC action. I traded my CA58 in for a silent piano.

J
OP Offline
J
That’s kind of what I was worried about, and one reason the PHA50 action is so high on my list despite the metallic sounds of the Roland modeling.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Foreign Piano Store Visit
by Damien PG - 05/21/22 07:53 AM
Yamaha x-series from Hamamatsu
by Ek81 - 05/21/22 07:21 AM
My brain!!
by Animisha - 05/21/22 06:57 AM
Heavy touchweight on Yamaha upright?
by Caesar - 05/20/22 08:40 PM
Kawai ES520 Teardown
by KawaFanboi - 05/20/22 01:00 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,164
Posts3,193,331
Members105,330
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission