2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
72 members (36251, anamnesis, alexii, accordeur, BMKE, anotherscott, Bill McKaig,RPT, 19 invisible), 715 guests, and 348 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Keyburn Offline OP
OP Offline
K
First off, Hi, I'm new here, this is my first post here.

So, I'm not a professional pianist - I've been only playing for 2 years, I have a piano teacher I go to every once in a week, I generally play for my own enjoyment, I own a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-775.

I've never played on a concert grand piano, like Steinway D-274, or Bosendorfer 290 Imperial, and it has always been my dream just to try playing on such a piano at least once. Any ideas where I could find them (and of course, where they would let me try)?

I personally have no intentions to play for concerts or anything big.

Thanks.

Last edited by Keyburn; 01/26/22 09:43 AM.
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
I don't know if you have community colleges in the UK, I take lessons through our local community college and they probably have 30 pianos that students can use. Many aren't in great shape, but there are quite a few kept locked up for use by the instructors. If you enroll in a semester of private lessons, you're likely to have a chance to play those pianos for your lesson. Our college has four concert sized grands, including Steinway, Yamaha and Kawai. If you don't have community colleges, maybe a university would have a program for a student at large and you could enroll there.

You might also try a piano store. When I was shopping, the local stores would let me try anything they had in stock, which included the kind of pianos you are interested in playing.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
K
Keyburn Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Interesting, I'l give that a shot.

C
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
C
Not relevant to you, but as a curiosity a smallish live music venue here is now open for private sessions for a few days i.e. you bring yourself and max 9 other people and you get to use their stage (with a Fazioli grand) for 45 minutes. They can also provide a pro quality video recording of it.

It's just a temporary arrangement as everything else is cancelled for a while. The fee is 250 €.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by MarkL
You might also try a piano store. When I was shopping, the local stores would let me try anything they had in stock, which included the kind of pianos you are interested in playing.

Oh yes, try Chappell's in Wardour St, they usually have a big Bosie. You might not get very long on it, however.

Sauter Alpha 160, Yamaha N3 Avant Grand, Sauter Studio Upright (1974)
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
In London you could visit Yamaha Music or Jacques Samuels; JS has practice rooms with grands. There are other practice rooms in London with grands and Google will help. My local college has a music and performing arts department and has a grand, but they weren't too happy about me playing it when I was on an accountancy course. Bonners sometimes has a small (baby) grand on the shop floor, so other musical instrument dealers may well have too. One of the criteria I had for choosing a teacher was they has to have a grand I could learn on. Churches: there's a guy on YT called Terry who made a series of him visiting churches on vacation and recording whenever he came across a grand; he normally plays boogie or blues but revealed his skill with choral music.

Not sure where in the UK you are but in Birmingham there's a Meetup group called Let's Play Piano

https://www.meetup.com/Lets-Play-The-Piano-Birmingham/photos/

As you can see they have organized sessions where the participants have played on concert grands. Only thing is you have to perform in front of an audience if you want to play the piano smile. Would give you the chance to play a concert grand though. In fact I note their next event is on the 30/1/22!

Last edited by Aritempor; 01/26/22 11:22 AM.
j&j Offline
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Keyburn

So, I'm not a professional pianist - I've been only playing for 2 years, I have a piano teacher I go to every once in a week, I generally play for my own enjoyment, I own a Yamaha Clavinova CLP-775.

I've never played on a concert grand piano, like Steinway D-274, or Bosendorfer 290 Imperial, and it has always been my dream just to try playing on such a piano at least once. Any ideas where I could find them (and of course, where they would let me try)?

Thanks.

You don’t mention what acoustic pianos you have tried before?

J & J
Estonia L190 Hidden Beauty
The reason I’m old and wise is because God protected me when I was young and stupid.
[Linked Image]
D
D
Originally Posted by Keyburn

Thanks.

I got to play some really expensive pianos over $200k USD by going to stores where they sell them. I played some Steinway's, Bosendorfers, and Yamaha CFX. Maybe you can find some fancy shops around.

Piano fledgling/neophyte
Acoustic: Kawai GL40
Digital: Roland hp605
Toy: Yamaha motif xs8

And 😎 acoustic and classical guitars.
5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
You can rent a room at the 1901 Arts Club in London with a Steinway Model C-227. It's not the same as the D, but the action feels the same. It's beside Waterloo Station and you can hear the trains, so it mightn't be the best place to make a recording.

Jacques Samuel on the Edgeware Road used to have a Model D in one of their practice rooms but not anymore. The last time I was over in London they had a Bechstein Model B in Studio 2. I heard that they were replacing it with a Fazioli, but their website still says they have a Bechstein.

Blüthner on Baker St. have a lovely grand in one of their rooms, but it's not a concert grand.

Hurstwood Farm near Sevenoaks had a Böseendorfer Imperial that you can book for a recording session. I don't know whether it's still available.

Last edited by johnstaf; 01/26/22 04:42 PM.
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
If you are anywhere near London, you might find it interesting to go to the viewing of the Piano Auctions sales. There are four per year, now held in Watford (a short train ride from Euston). The next sale is on Tuesday 5 April. The Sunday and Monday before, you can make an appointment to view. (The need for an appointment is just a covid thing.) You can spend a happy couple of hours trying whatever pianos you like. There are well over a hundred - all sorts of makes, old and new, uprights and grands (and perhaps even a square or two). There are generally one or two concert grands. Fun and very educational.

You have a lot more opportunities than here in Malta, A far smaller country, In this country pretty much the only people who will be allowed to play any concert grand are the professionals and concert pianists and even then most likely the concert grand is imported from overseas.

So with that said, idk if universities here do have full size concert grands, the best would be medium size concert grands, maybe the largest in this country available to play would be around 240cm length.

Malta isn't known for having professional piano players sadly, the ones who do seek to be professional tend to take a flight to anywhere in Europe and are willing to live abroad for a while to where there is a piano/music school where it has such resources.

With that said, I kinda wished Malta has easier access to concert grands for people who would love to practice on one such as a Steinway D or better yet a Bosendorfer Imperial but my hopes for such is low here and I am not willing to take a flight overseas just to play a concert piano for a little bit, irrelevant of COVID, speaking of which, some facilities where you could rent a room have closed down due to COVID and idk when will they open, I hope in summer they would allow to book a room but still, no promises on that one and that means there are less opportunities than ever now.

4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
I have a 9' Bluthner. You can play that until your fingers ache, and beyond.

Currently working towards "Twinkle twinkle little star"
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by LavaWave
I am not willing to take a flight overseas just to play a concert piano for a little bit

I can understand that. But availability of pianos to play might be one of your considerations when choosing holiday destinations.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LavaWave
You have a lot more opportunities than here in Malta, A far smaller country, In this country pretty much the only people who will be allowed to play any concert grand are the professionals and concert pianists and even then most likely the concert grand is imported from overseas.

So with that said, idk if universities here do have full size concert grands, the best would be medium size concert grands, maybe the largest in this country available to play would be around 240cm length.

Malta isn't known for having professional piano players sadly, the ones who do seek to be professional tend to take a flight to anywhere in Europe and are willing to live abroad for a while to where there is a piano/music school where it has such resources.

With that said, I kinda wished Malta has easier access to concert grands for people who would love to practice on one such as a Steinway D or better yet a Bosendorfer Imperial but my hopes for such is low here and I am not willing to take a flight overseas just to play a concert piano for a little bit, irrelevant of COVID, speaking of which, some facilities where you could rent a room have closed down due to COVID and idk when will they open, I hope in summer they would allow to book a room but still, no promises on that one and that means there are less opportunities than ever now.

Why don’t you wait to seek out a concert grand after you have learned to play the piano? You will appreciate the experience more then than you would now. Developing your own technique allows you to truly test the piano’s capabilities

Last edited by dogperson; 01/27/22 10:04 AM.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
I do, I did not say I want to play a concert grand right away wink first I'l start on an upright with the help of a teacher, make connections/network with other pianists in Malta as well besides my niece (she went to a music school of her own so she knows and can hook me up with such people) and go from there.

I can understand that. But availability of pianos to play might be one of your considerations when choosing holiday destinations.

tbh I rarely take a flight and this isn't just because of COVID either, so flying abroad is not my thing, sorry.

Last edited by LavaWave; 01/27/22 11:41 AM.
M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
This is a completely exceptional organization, but the Harvard Musical Association in Boston allows pianists who are not members to reserve practice time on one of their grand pianos.

K
Keyburn Offline OP
OP Offline
K
Thank you for replying everyone.

Originally Posted by j&j
You don’t mention what acoustic pianos you have tried before?

My teachers piano is an upright, iirc it was a kawai, so I get to practice on her piano, the one I personally own is a digital.

B
B
Whereabouts are you?

K
Keyburn Offline OP
OP Offline
K
London, bromton road

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Playing freely with other Instruments
by alexii - 05/21/22 10:42 AM
Foreign Piano Store Visit
by Damien PG - 05/21/22 07:53 AM
Yamaha x-series from Hamamatsu
by Ek81 - 05/21/22 07:21 AM
My brain!!
by Animisha - 05/21/22 06:57 AM
Heavy touchweight on Yamaha upright?
by Caesar - 05/20/22 08:40 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,165
Posts3,193,355
Members105,330
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission