2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
70 members (36251, Bruce Sato, Carey, crab89, 20/20 Vision, AlkansBookcase, bcalvanese, brdwyguy, 12 invisible), 2,031 guests, and 312 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
Tony Lu Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if there’s a solo 2 hand transcription of the Franck Sonata that’s not done by Cortot. I know there’s a solo version of the second movement transcribed by Richard Katz on imslp but I am looking for a transcription of all four movements.

Thanks,
Tony

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content

Why don't you like the Cortot transcription?

I think Cortot's is the only one available.

Last edited by Carey; 01/25/22 04:11 PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
T
Tony Lu Offline OP
OP Offline
T
Originally Posted by Carey
I like the Cortot version but would like to know if there are other transcriptions so I can compare how they transcribed the work differently.

Online Content

Originally Posted by Tony Lu
I like the Cortot version but would like to know if there are other transcriptions so I can compare how they transcribed the work differently.
Theoretically, if they exist, they would probably show up somewhere on the internet. I couldn't find any.

Edit: Whoops - just found this. Can't tell who transcribed it.

https://freshsheetmusic.com/cesar-franck-sonata-for-violin-piano-in-a-major-1st-movement-117253/

Last edited by Carey; 01/25/22 05:42 PM.

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano

Online Content

FYI - I just played through Cortot's transcription of the final movement. Some of the reaches are impossible - and some are fine if you can reach more than a 10th. grin

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
B
B
Cortot's is the only arrangement I'm aware of. Why not get a string friend and play through the original? It exists for Violin, Cello and Viola and maybe others. I think it is much more effective with a bowed string instrument + piano compared to solo piano.

I just started learning it this year and will meet with a Violin friend later this year to play it.

B
BDB Offline
B
The original has some pretty big stretches.

Semipro Tech
T
Tony Lu Offline OP
OP Offline
T
FYI - I just played through Cortot's transcription of the final movement. Some of the reaches are impossible - and some are fine if you can reach more than a 10th. grin
Yes I am aware of the limitation of Cortot’s arrangement especially in the second and last movement. That’s why I wanted to find other arrangements (all four movements) for solo piano. I have played the original version with violin, cello, and flute, but want to find a solo version.

J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Tony, have you ever considered doing an arrangement of your own? If you're advanced enough pianistically to play a Cortot transcription then I think you may have the technical know-how to do your own. It'd be an interesting project and I'm sure there are a lot of members who would love to hear what you come up with. It could even rival Cortot, though that'd be a towering accomplishment.

Townley: Piano Concerto No 2 in C Minor Op 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AK1WR7oPY44

Online Content

Originally Posted by J Joe Townley
Tony, have you ever considered doing an arrangement of your own? If you're advanced enough pianistically to play a Cortot transcription then I think you may have the technical know-how to do your own. It'd be an interesting project and I'm sure there are a lot of members who would love to hear what you come up with. It could even rival Cortot, though that'd be a towering accomplishment.
Particularly if it would be a tad easier to play. It really shouldn't be more difficult than the original piano part. smile

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
Particularly if it would be a tad easier to play. It really shouldn't be more difficult than the original piano part. smile

Exactly. Remember all those transcriptions of larger works we did as 1st and 2nd grade students? I remember a 4-page simplified arrangement of the Chopin Heroic Polonaise in G maj that Boston Music published. Tony could do something like that.

Online Content

Exactly. Remember all those transcriptions of larger works we did as 1st and 2nd grade students? I remember a 4-page simplified arrangement of the Chopin Heroic Polonaise in G maj that Boston Music published. Tony could do something like that.
Well perhaps not quite that simple. ha

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

A little work involved to be sure but I'm sure Tony loves the sonata so much he doesn't mind. thumb

Online Content

[quote=J Joe Townley]Tony, have you ever considered doing an arrangement of your own? If you're advanced enough pianistically to play a Cortot transcription then I think you may have the technical know-how to do your own. It'd be an interesting project and I'm sure there are a lot of members who would love to hear what you come up with. It could even rival Cortot, though that'd be a towering accomplishment.
A little work involved to be sure but I'm sure Tony loves the sonata so much he doesn't mind. thumb
I have no doubt he could - but would encourage him to come up with something a tad more advanced than 1st and 2nd grade. That's what I meant by "not quite that simple."

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
[quote=Carey][quote=J Joe Townley]Tony, have you ever considered doing an arrangement of your own? If you're advanced enough pianistically to play a Cortot transcription then I think you may have the technical know-how to do your own. It'd be an interesting project and I'm sure there are a lot of members who would love to hear what you come up with. It could even rival Cortot, though that'd be a towering accomplishment.
I have no doubt he could - but would encourage him to come up with something a tad more advanced than 1st and 2nd grade. That's what I meant by "not quite that simple."[/quote]

Sorry. Didn't make myself clear. I meant he can do it "in the manner of", not "at the piano level of". Not only am I a bad pianist, I am a bad grammartarian.

Online Content

Originally Posted by Joe Townley
I have no doubt he could - but would encourage him to come up with something a tad more advanced than 1st and 2nd grade. That's what I meant by "not quite that simple."
Sorry. Didn't make myself clear. I meant he can do it "in the manner of", not "at the piano level of". Not only am I a bad pianist, I am a bad grammartarian.
I think we're on the same page now. ha

Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J
I think we're on the same page now. ha

Don'tcha just love a pianist with a sense of humor? smile

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
Anyone looking for a substantial pianowork by César Franck ending up with a transcription of his violin sonata has overlooked 'Prélude, Aria et Final', yes, the twin brother of the other one, and imo the better one, just go with what César Auguste gave us originally.

Longtemps, je me suis couché de bonne heure, but not anymore!
J
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
J

Interesting that Tony never answered my question. I wonder if I insulted him or something.

T
Tony Lu Offline OP
OP Offline
T
sorry for my late reply here. well, it seems like there is no existing transcription other than Cortot's. So yes, I will arrange it myself. I am working on my solo transcription of Beethoven's 4th concerto, then a few movements from his string quartets, then his last violin sonata. Then... I will get to the Franck.

Interesting that Tony never answered my question. I wonder if I insulted him or something.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Brendan, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,391
Posts3,349,282
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission