2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
87 members (Beemer, BravoRomeo, Calavera, beeboss, 13bwl, anotherscott, Boboulus, Baltguy, 16 invisible), 890 guests, and 258 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
This is OT, but have you come across a young lady called Nicola Said? A young singer from Malta. A few years ago she sang the heroine in "Lucia di Lammermoor" by Donizetti for Fulham Opera, a small company in London. She enters the wedding reception in a bloodstained gown, having lost her senses, brandishing a dagger with which she has just killed her bridegroom. Her singing was wonderful, but so was her acting - I was sitting just six feet away and it was seriously scary! So much more gripping than the "Lucia" then playing at the Royal Opera House.

OP Offline
I don't follow many celebrities, so no never heard of her, sorry.

S
S
I was told a story about a pro football player who walked into a Steinway dealer and bought 3 new steinways for his home. Cannot play a thing on the piano. Was basically expensive furniture and the dealer was more than delighted to sell them. I don't find Tiffany Poon disingenuous, actually she's quite honest and humble. She, more than most Youtube pianists, spends a lot of time giving viewers insight into her own struggles, failings and successes.

L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Tiffany is a young musician who is trying to make it. I believe she just had her debut at the Kennedy Center. She is honest about her struggles and shares videos of her practice routine, problems and all. She understands that she has to build an audience and she knows that she can do that on YouTube.

Last edited by LarryK; 01/19/22 07:30 PM.
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by LarryK
Tiffany is a young musician who is trying to make it. I believe she just had her debut at the Kennedy Center. She is honest about her struggles and shares videos of her practice routine, problems and all. She understands that she has to build an audience and she knows that she can do that on YouTube.

Tiffany Poon is great. I really like her sincerity and open approach to her journeys as a musician. It's refreshing from the standard "YO ITS YA BOI PIANOKING COMIN ATCHADONTFORGETTOLIKESUBSCRIBEANDHITTHATBELL" kind of content across Youtube, and I love that she's recognized by Steinway. Couldn't have happened to a more down to earth person.

I do NOT personally get her adoration of Schumann, but that's another topic!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro, Kawai NV-10
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Originally Posted by LarryK

Tiffany Poon is great. I really like her sincerity and open approach to her journeys as a musician. It's refreshing from the standard "YO ITS YA BOI PIANOKING COMIN ATCHADONTFORGETTOLIKESUBSCRIBEANDHITTHATBELL" kind of content across Youtube, and I love that she's recognized by Steinway. Couldn't have happened to a more down to earth person.

I do NOT personally get her adoration of Schumann, but that's another topic!

I have a very similar reaction to her! I certainly haven’t watched her in any kind of exhaustive way, but from what I’ve seen/heard, I think she plays beautifully, and if the Steinway-Poon collaboration is mutually beneficial, kudos to both of them. But it does seem like many of the videos I’ve seen are rather Schumann-heavy… and he’s really not my favorite.

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by spartan928
I was told a story about a pro football player who walked into a Steinway dealer and bought 3 new steinways for his home. Cannot play a thing on the piano. Was basically expensive furniture and the dealer was more than delighted to sell them.
There is absolutely nothing wrong with buying high end pianos(or any piano)purely as furniture. Of course the dealer was delighted to sell the pianos. Doesn't that go without saying?

I don't remember the exact figure but I was once told by a Steinway salesperson that around 20% of their sales are for the furniture aspect only. Without those sales, Steinway and other high end makers might well not survive. And those piano sales are not taking away pianos from those who play piano.

I've said it many times before. I think it's arrogant to criticize or show contempt for those who buy pianos purely for their furniture aspect or any non musical aspect.

Last edited by pianoloverus; 01/19/22 08:58 PM.
OP Offline
I admit I haven't seen all of Tiffany's videos, so I see from the posts here that she is actually honest about it so kudos to her.

And I personally see nothing wrong with buying pianos as furniture, people can spend their money as they like.

Page 4 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
ES520 vx FP-90 action
by puremusic - 05/17/22 01:04 PM
Natural sharp sign?
by Brus - 05/17/22 06:15 AM
Such a great piece!
by Qazsedcft - 05/17/22 04:48 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,112
Posts3,192,233
Members105,297
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission