2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
77 members (brdwyguy, Abdol, bobrunyan, Bruce In Philly, Alex Hutor, 36251, Bob Fadi, 16 invisible), 1,086 guests, and 279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 110 of 115 1 2 108 109 110 111 112 114 115
T
T
Originally Posted by spanishbuddha
Originally Posted by Tiva
Happy new year everyone...
I'm facing a problem with my clp 745 pedal.
The issue is that the pedal sustains...sometimes.. the sound after taking my foot off....anyone has an idea on quick fix...I don't want to get a technician in my home with all this COVID craziness
Thanks
If you're handy open it up and take a look inside, check if there's a pot inside it, and possibly it is either worn or sticking, or the mechanical aspect of the pedal sticks. You should be able to differentiate between the two. If the latter a judicious drop of oil on the linkage might help or some mechanical repair or adjustment is needed. If the former an electrical contact spray cleaner might help. Or the pot might need replacing. If it's not a pot but an on/off contact or switch the contact cleaner might help. You could compare with the middle pedal behaviour if similar. After that some more serious diagnosis is needed. You could try monitoring the midi output when the problem occurs to see if that gives further insights.
Thanks for replying... unfortunately...I'm not very handy when it comes to electrical stuff
What I find weird is that sometimes I take my foot off the pedal and notes still resonate...if I just touch the pedal with my foot...not even pressing..it would stop...
Sometimes when pedaling it doesn't respond...
All this doesn't happen often...but enough to be annoying especially for a year old piano
Thanks again for replying

S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
[quote=Tiva]
What I find weird is that sometimes I take my foot off the pedal and notes still resonate...if I just touch the pedal with my foot...not even pressing..it would stop...
Sometimes when pedaling it doesn't respond...
All this doesn't happen often...but enough to be annoying especially for a year old piano
Thanks again for replying
Hmmm.. I would start by checking how secure the cable from the pedal assembly is plugged into the main unit. Reseat it. Then when the problem occurs, get on hands and knees with a torch and explore what happens if you touch or move the pedal by hand. Look or listen for any odd mechanical noise. After that as per my first post. Good luck. If the warranty hasn't run out or close to when it did, I would call the store?

T
T
[quote=spanishbuddha]

the warranty hasn't run out or close to when it did, I would call the store?

Thanks….i just contacted them…they tried to convince me to bring it over to their location…which i refused to do….they told me the technician who could make visits is on vacation and will be back in 20 days….

I’m really disappointed with their support

T
T
Hmmm.. I would start by checking how secure the cable from the pedal assembly is plugged into the main unit. Reseat it. Then when the problem occurs, get on hands and knees with a torch and explore what happens if you touch or move the pedal by hand. Look or listen for any odd mechanical noise. After that as per my first post. Good luck. If the warranty hasn't run out or close to when it did, I would call the store?[/quote]

A technician came over… it turned to be a broken small part…they replaced it and the pedal is good again…
i asked the technician why a part like this would break…he said companies do cost cuttings effecting product quality

S
S
Quick question: has anyone noticed that F#3 (F# above middle C) sounds kind of funny with the Bösendorfer sample (default piano room settings). It's more pronounced if you turn off reverb. For my ears there is some kind of ringing ... it's just somehow "out of line" with the other notes.

J
J
Originally Posted by JacksonTree
Hi! I was hoping for some input from a 745 owner; I was pretty much settled on a CSP170 or a p515, but I really am not a fan of the NWX action. My main problems with it is the sluggishness of the dynamic action, but just as critically the inability to really lean into the legato as well as the pp passages. Changing the feel in the Smart Pianist app really was just window dressing.

It sounds like the sluggishness is not as much an issue with the 745 - can anyone confirm if you have to go to battle with the instrument for the pp dynamics? Conversely, does it have any issues with the ff passages (which the NWX handled quite nicely)?

I know that the answer will be “go and see”, which I’m planning to do, but the nearest 745 is at best 2 hours drive away so I would like an idea of what I might find before I drive 4 hours round trip. smile thank you!
Just an update for the sake of the group - the 745 performed much better with the singing actions than the NWX did - I could get similar sounds as I could with an adjacent NU1X. The 745 isn’t the best feel, but I might wind up in a spot where the best feel isn’t really in my budget.

D
D
I did not read all 110 pages, only like 20%, and in those 22 pages I did not read something about the sound (not the engine nor the layers) of the sampling of the 700 series apart from one remark from someone who did like the sound of the sampling used in the 600 series more. Would be nice to hear some educated evaluation on it.

For me, I did like the sound of the previous sample more too. As if the newer one sounds thinner, more fragile, to much fragile for me.

Old: a dusted Roland D5 synth. Upcoming: Yamaha NU1X digipi.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by styro
Quick question: has anyone noticed that F#3 (F# above middle C) sounds kind of funny with the Bösendorfer sample (default piano room settings). It's more pronounced if you turn off reverb. For my ears there is some kind of ringing ... it's just somehow "out of line" with the other notes.

There were several posts to this thread, between spring & summer 21’, from 745 owners who experienced undesirable sound produced by B flat in registers 3 & 4, IE. Bb3 & Bb4. Some described the sound as beeping, others as peeping, and others as “ undesirable resonance”.

If you read the below link and forward from that timeline, you will find them.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3105618/100.html

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
S
S
Originally Posted by drewr

There were several posts to this thread, between spring & summer 21’, from 745 owners who experienced undesirable sound produced by B flat in registers 3 & 4, IE. Bb3 & Bb4. Some described the sound as beeping, others as peeping, and others as “ undesirable resonance”.

If you read the below link and forward from that timeline, you will find them.

http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3105618/100.html

Thanks for that one!
I only have this one odd sounding tone with Bösendorfer and ob F#3, so I was searching and googling only for that specific key! It may be the same issue in a slighly different way. It's the same on headphones and on speaker, maybe some kind of modelling problem.

BTW my CLP-785 has firmware V1.03 while V1.02 is the latest available for download.

R
R
I started with BLE connected to Playground sessions. Lag / Latency. Whatever you want to call it was significant.

Each note sounded as though it was played twice!!!

Now use USB cable into iPad lightening adapter into iPad.

No lag or latency......

Was hoping BLE would work seamlessly (one of the reasons I bought a Yamaha over the higher end Casios ) but it doesn't.

Or am I doing something wrong?

Ray

Originally Posted by Ostinato
Doesn't BT Midi always have lag? I think you would get sync problems if you use BT and USB midi at the same time.

Yamaha CLP 775 Polished Ebony
Kawai CA99 Premium Rosewood
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Ravanelli
I started with BLE connected to Playground sessions. Lag / Latency. Whatever you want to call it was significant.

Each note sounded as though it was played twice!!!

Now use USB cable into iPad lightening adapter into iPad.

No lag or latency......

Was hoping BLE would work seamlessly (one of the reasons I bought a Yamaha over the higher end Casios ) but it doesn't.

Or am I doing something wrong?

Ray

Originally Posted by Ostinato
Doesn't BT Midi always have lag? I think you would get sync problems if you use BT and USB midi at the same time.
I use BT midi, not BLE afaik, on my Yamaha and also a Casio, using external adaptors sold by them, with my iPad no problems at all.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Upon reading all or most of the comments here from 745 owners who’ve observed some type of harsh sound/resonance in whatever register/key happens for them, there are a few things in common they’ve tried in an effort to reduce or resolve.

1) determine if the same basic problem happens always or only under certain settings?; thru speakers only or with headphones too?; when using certain settings/samples/voices?

2) try moving the 745 or moving/removing nearby items that may be contributing to rogue “resonances”?

3) seek support or guidance from Yamaha?

On the overall, some owners said they experienced some improvement while others did not. Some owners have reported they got no help from Yamaha. Some owners said they can live with this problem since it only happens under certain circumstances and they otherwise really like their 745.

It seems that on the one hand, while pianos ultimately are designed to produce many/various resonances, on the other hand, when they produce some that are perceived as undesirable, it may become a never-ending hunt/chase for some folks to successfully identify the source of the problem so as to fix 🤔

Good luck!

Last edited by drewr; 01/19/22 12:34 PM.

- Kawai MP7 and LSR308 monitors
- Roland HP-508
- DT770 Pro-80 and MDR-7506 phones
S
S
Hi everyone!

I received my CLP-785 one year ago and I would like to share my experience during the whole 2021:

1) I am more than happy with this piano. I don´t regret at all and it´s highly recommended!
2) The best for me: the sound of the harpshicord and organ are impressive, very real. I like to explore the temperaments and other voices with the same score.
3) The worse: I´m not that satisfied with Bosendorfer, but it has a large range of different pianos. And some times the pedal sounds too much "pedal" (the sound is not clean) when you have high volume.
4) I less and less use the options. I think that I´ve just used the 10% of the possibilities. I feel that I have an airplane full of bottoms but I just enjoy opening and closing the door...
5) Different sounds make you play in a different way (you adapt the way you play to the sound...). Some times the Fortepianos voices make you feel uncomfortable when playing (it´s just a feeling).
6) So far, no problems, the piano works perfect like the first day.

As I said, I am very happy.

If you want to check some voices, I uploaded some videos:

Harpshicord voice:

Organ Flute voice:

Organ Principal voice:

And Piano voice:

My top3: Bach + D.Scarlatti + Antonio de Cabezón
D
D
Such a beauty that Organ Flute voice.

Old: a dusted Roland D5 synth. Upcoming: Yamaha NU1X digipi.
T
T
Originally Posted by SpastiK
Hi everyone!

I received my CLP-785 one year ago and I would like to share my experience during the whole 2021:

1) I am more than happy with this piano. I don´t regret at all and it´s highly recommended!
2) The best for me: the sound of the harpshicord and organ are impressive, very real. I like to explore the temperaments and other voices with the same score.
3) The worse: I´m not that satisfied with Bosendorfer, but it has a large range of different pianos. And some times the pedal sounds too much "pedal" (the sound is not clean) when you have high volume.
4) I less and less use the options. I think that I´ve just used the 10% of the possibilities. I feel that I have an airplane full of bottoms but I just enjoy opening and closing the door...
5) Different sounds make you play in a different way (you adapt the way you play to the sound...). Some times the Fortepianos voices make you feel uncomfortable when playing (it´s just a feeling).
6) So far, no problems, the piano works perfect like the first day.

As I said, I am very happy.

If you want to check some voices, I uploaded some videos:

Harpshicord voice:

Organ Flute voice:

Organ Principal voice:

And Piano voice:

Beautiful playing & I love the way you’ve decorated your piano! Thanks for sharing!

T
T
Does anyone know how many velocity layers there are on the CLP-785 or 700 series, in general.

I currently use the Colossus Piano instead of the main voices sometimes, for variety. I’ve gotten the 24 velocity layer one, but I want to try to the two smaller ones, but they are only 12 velocity layers. I’m wondering, after spending $50 dollar, if it’s worth buying the other set since they are smaller layers, but I won’t be able to move up to a computer/proper VST until a month or two, so it would suffice.

If these two other ones have more velocity layers than the CLP, I’m willing to give them a try, especially since the one with the 24 is good. But if the CLP-700 series has more than 12, I don’t know if I’m willing to do it.

G
Online Content
G
Originally Posted by Taushi
Does anyone know how many velocity layers there are on the CLP-785 or 700 series, in general. [...]
AFAIK there are 6 (for 775 and 785) or 5 (other 700 series) layers with interpolation.
If I remember correct, I read it somewhere in this thread.

keep calm and play the piano :-)
9190 Offline OP
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Georg Z.

Correct

S
S
Just found out something very nice today by accident: it is possible to use a computer running a VST with the CLP-785. I have no clue whether this works for other models too (but I guess it should).

On a Mac this is dead easy (I do not know whether this works with a PC):
  • Hook up the CLP-785 to your Mac using USB (not Bluetooth!)
  • Confirm using the Audio-MIDI-Setup utility that you see the Midi Device ("Clavinova") and a new Audio Device ("Clavinova")
  • On the CLP-785 set "Local Control" to off (Attn: the internal sound engine does no longer get the keyboard input) there no sound anymore when you press a key
  • Start your virtual instrument (e. g. Pianoteq) and set it to receive Midi from the Clavinova and send Audio to Clavinova (be sure to use a low audio buffer size to minimize latency)
  • You should hear the sound of the virtual instrument either over speakers or headphones

BTW "Local Control" is in "System" -> "MIDI" menu. Be sure to turn "Local Control" back on if you want to use the CLP-785 be itself.

I can use Pianoteq 7 on a MacBook from mid-2017 (two cores only) with a buffer size of 64 samples, that's an output latency of 1.5msec. Even if I leave the internal sound on the resulting latency is only very very slightly audible.

T
T
Originally Posted by Taushi
Does anyone know how many velocity layers there are on the CLP-785 or 700 series, in general. [...]
AFAIK there are 6 (for 775 and 785) or 5 (other 700 series) layers with interpolation.
Originally Posted by 9190

Correct

Thanks. Wasn’t sure how to search back in the thread.

So, interesting to me that they only use 6 layers. The major brands really drop the ball when it comes to sampling sometimes. Just a few more layers could be a marked improvement.

I did try one of the lower-level pianos on Colossus and even though it has more layers, it’s mid-low quality to my ears, so I guess I’ll still to the top-tier “brown piano” sample. Thanks.

Just found out something very nice today by accident: it is possible to use a computer running a VST with the CLP-785. I have no clue whether this works for other models too (but I guess it should).

On a Mac this is dead easy (I do not know whether this works with a PC):
  • Hook up the CLP-785 to your Mac using USB (not Bluetooth!)
  • Confirm using the Audio-MIDI-Setup utility that you see the Midi Device ("Clavinova") and a new Audio Device ("Clavinova")
  • On the CLP-785 set "Local Control" to off (Attn: the internal sound engine does no longer get the keyboard input) there no sound anymore when you press a key
  • Start your virtual instrument (e. g. Pianoteq) and set it to receive Midi from the Clavinova and send Audio to Clavinova (be sure to use a low audio buffer size to minimize latency)
  • You should hear the sound of the virtual instrument either over speakers or headphones

BTW "Local Control" is in "System" -> "MIDI" menu. Be sure to turn "Local Control" back on if you want to use the CLP-785 be itself.

I can use Pianoteq 7 on a MacBook from mid-2017 (two cores only) with a buffer size of 64 samples, that's an output latency of 1.5msec. Even if I leave the internal sound on the resulting latency is only very very slightly audible.

Agreed. The USB option is the best. I’m on an iPad Pro (so not exactly a Mac), and I get almost no latency on any of the apps or very, very low unless that latency is becaus eI’m unable to change options.

I get about 6 ms delay on Korg and 5 ms latency on Ravenscroft, but that’s only because they’ve set it that it can’t go lower. With Colossus Piano, I can get down to 1 ms latency. There’s almost no noticeable latency on iGrand.

Either about to upgrade to the Rasperry Pi or a Mac soon to see what I can do with those. I’d imagine it’ll be even better than as you share.

Page 110 of 115 1 2 108 109 110 111 112 114 115

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Piano Buying Guide
The Definitive Piano Buying Guide
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Fingering question regarding middle C
by Alex442 - 08/18/22 07:29 AM
Noise when Jack hits Hammer butt
by CoffeeBreak - 08/17/22 11:09 PM
Kohler & Campbell Serial Numbers
by Dave_Toona - 08/17/22 10:20 PM
Young Chang U-121
by Joseph Fleetwood - 08/17/22 07:41 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,450
Posts3,217,279
Members106,112
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission