2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
89 members (AaronSF, 13bwl, beeboss, Boboulus, Alex C, Animisha, Beemer, anotherscott, 16 invisible), 903 guests, and 250 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Originally Posted by drvenom
Also, I feel crazy for even thinking of paying an extra $2k for the mahogany. Lol.

Not really, not if you really like it and can afford it. That piano will likely be with you for a long time, 2K is a pretty normal uplift for a Mahogany finish and, after all, it is not just the finish but the lighter action you are getting as well (I'm assuming that you do actually prefer that lighter action).

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by drvenom
I think I seen you talk about new asian pianos. If that was you mentioning asian pianos, which do you recommend I look at?

This question seems to have gotten a bit buried. I can’t say that I have tons of experience with pianos manufactured in China. However, take a look at the PianoBuyer Staff Picks: https://www.pianobuyer.com/article/staff-picks-recommendations . They have a number of pianos on the list that are made in China, and I think that the pianos they have listed are worth checking out.

Some of these pianos are: Baldwin (I did get to play one of these, and I was impressed), Cunningham (may be challenging to find since you’re on the West Coast, but there are people on PW who own them, and they love them), Hailun (I’ve seen some good reviews from people on PW), Perzina, and Brodmann. Ritmuller and Kayserburg are both on the vertical piano ‘staff pick’ lists. Many of these pianos may not be represented in your area, but I suspect that several of them are.

D
drvenom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Some new development and more ranting from me lol. I got to try a c2 from 1997, which is crazy expensive at $18k, but I just wanted to try it because a lot of people talk about that piano. I also got to try another G2 from 1988, going for $7.5k.

I can see why people like the C2 it is bright (crisp) but beautiful sounding. But to me, it only sounded a little better than the GC2 in the bass department. For a moment I thought there was more shimmer to it than on the GC2 but I don't know if my brain was messing with me because I knew I was playing a more expensive model. The action on the C2 felt a little broken in compared to the new GC2 I tried, but they were nearly identical and a pleasure to play. The G2 sounded a little warmer than the C2 to me, and the action felt a little more broken in than on the C2. I wanted to play these pianos to see if I liked them significantly more than the Kawai so that I didn't jump the gun on the Kawai pianos.

I feel like the GC2 and C2 are not any better or worse than the Kawai with respect to sound, they are just different. I agree with most that the Kawai sound is warmer and I prefer that warmth, specially because I will have to have the piano on laminate floor without a rug directly under the piano. Unfortunately, I liked the action on the GC2 better, but I think I can get used to the Kawai action. From all the pianos I've tried the last week I have to say that the GL30 and GL40 are my favorite sounding with the exception of the Steinway A lol. Yes, I know, the Steinway is out of my budget though.

I've eliminated the Kawai GL30 Mahogany Sepele from my list because it is even more expensive than the GL40 by a few hundred bucks. I thought about it and I don't think I'll ever think to myself, "Damn it, I regret my purchase, I should have gotten the mahogony finish."

Now I just have to decide

1. Gloss black GL30
2. Satin black GL40 vs Gloss black GL40.

This choice is where I stand more to regret. I really love that intimate sound of the GL30, but I did notice that sometimes when I was playing a song the bass would come up short. Maybe I just have to strike the bass keys harder. On the GL40 you do lose that intimacy from the GL30, but you gain that nice deep bass, depth, and the extra shimmer (reverb?) on the higher notes. That's the conundrum.

Piano fledgling/neophyte
Acoustic: Kawai GL40
Digital: Roland hp605
Toy: Yamaha motif xs8

And 😎 acoustic and classical guitars.
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Ok, now that you have narrowed it down, here is my suggestion to you.

Try to figure out whether you liked the GL30 or 40 better ... I mean, try to figure it out in your head.

Then, go back to the shop (sorry!) and play that piano for 30 minutes. Don't play anything else.

If you love it, you could stop right there. Or you could step away (like, literally, go outside or something)... then go back and play the other for 30 minutes, or until you feel like you know which one you want.

If this doesn't get your answer, buy the bigger/longer one.

grin

(but not really joking here!)

Another thing you might consider is re the finish... IIRC, the high gloss finishes are more durable and easier to fix when there's scratch. Assuming that's right, get the gloss because you have little kids and things happen.

Another reason to get the gloss is that's the standard and should sell better when you want to sell this piano for an upgrade.

Having said all that re the finish, it's worth double-checking because I might be remembering wrong.

I do remember that when piano shopping, I consistently liked the high gloss look better. But you're not shopping for me! :P

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Finishes:
I would like confirmation from a dealer or tech.
Satin: I believe scratches are less visible but fingerprints are more visible than high gloss. The fingerprints would need to be polished out with piano Polish

Last edited by dogperson; 01/19/22 05:35 PM.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
D
drvenom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Ok, now that you have narrowed it down, here is my suggestion to you.

Try to figure out whether you liked the GL30 or 40 better ... I mean, try to figure it out in your head.

Then, go back to the shop (sorry!) and play that piano for 30 minutes. Don't play anything else.

If you love it, you could stop right there. Or you could step away (like, literally, go outside or something)... then go back and play the other for 30 minutes, or until you feel like you know which one you want.

If this doesn't get your answer, buy the bigger/longer one.

grin

(but not really joking here!)

Another thing you might consider is re the finish... IIRC, the high gloss finishes are more durable and easier to fix when there's scratch. Assuming that's right, get the gloss because you have little kids and things happen.

Another reason to get the gloss is that's the standard and should sell better when you want to sell this piano for an upgrade.

Having said all that re the finish, it's worth double-checking because I might be remembering wrong.

I do remember that when piano shopping, I consistently liked the high gloss look better. But you're not shopping for me! :P

Thank you, fantastic advice. I'm taking my checkbook with me next time I go. I'll play them and pick one. I really like them both a lot. I've notice that on bigger pianos you can often hear more of the peddling and the keys feel a bit clunkier, but the action is also lighter. I'm guessing that's what a longer key does. Maybe it is all in my head. Whatever the case, I will go play them for awhile and pick one. Regarding getting the bigger one, I think you are right. I think that if I can't make my mind up I'll get the GL40. I think I'm more likely to say, "I should have gotten the bigger piano." But i'll double check next time I go with my checkbook.

Piano fledgling/neophyte

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I'm taking my checkbook with me next time I go.

ohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboyohboy

grin

So, um, when is the "next time" you go?

whome

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
M
M
It sounds like you're nearly there, but I did want to comment on your earlier statement that a 7'4" piano was too big for your living room. Are you really sure about that? That piano is only about 21 inches longer than a Steinway M. I keep harping on this topic because I lived for three years with a 7 foot piano in a 350 square foot mobile home. Call me crazy, but I was determined to make it work, and it really wasn't that bad.

1994 M&H BB; Yamaha N1X
L
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by Mark Alexander
It sounds like you're nearly there, but I did want to comment on your earlier statement that a 7'4" piano was too big for your living room. Are you really sure about that? That piano is only about 21 inches longer than a Steinway M. I keep harping on this topic because I lived for three years with a 7 foot piano in a 350 square foot mobile home. Call me crazy, but I was determined to make it work, and it really wasn't that bad.

Let me take this opportunity to call you crazy, hahaha. I lived in a 425 sq foot studio and I couldn’t have imagined putting a seven foot grand in it.

My mom grew up in Newport, Vermont. After reading the novels of Vermont writer Howard Frank Mosher, I know that anything is possible, so, you keep doing you, as they say. Have you put a nine foot piano in an RV?

D
drvenom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Alright, so I went to LA and stopped by the Steinway gallery and played the model A again. I said f it, you only live once and got it! Kidding, kidding lol. I went back to the Kawai dealer, this time with my checkbook, and with my wife; I figured she'd get annoyed with me if I couldn't make up my mind and help me in the right direction. Per the advice I got here, I sat down and played the GL30 and GL40 again. Right before I could say anything my wife said, take the big one, the small one sounds like a tin can compared to the large one. She said if I have to hear all of you practice day in and day out, then I want it to have that sparkly sound of the large one. I didn't want to risk it with the glossy GL40 because of the buzz I mentioned earlier so I got the Satin. I know I promised myself I was going to wait a few months to decide on a piano, specially because I wanted to try out some of the Chinese brands. However, the price I got on this piano is insane because they are closing up shop. The piano should get delivered by next week, before Chinese new years; per my wife's orders haha. They are going to install it and let it sit a few days in the house to acclimate, then they'll tune it and prep it a few days later. So yup, I'm the owner of a Kawai GL40. I can't believe I finally got me an acoustic piano. I'm coming up in the world haha.

Piano fledgling/neophyte

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Congratulations! 🎉🎊🎈 please post photos once the piano is in its new home!

Wow, congratulations!

I've been following your thread, and can relate to many of your experiences. Glad you found just the right piano, and your wife helped you to make a decision. Good for you! smile

Enjoy!!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
D
drvenom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Originally Posted by Rickster
Wow, congratulations!

I've been following your thread, and can relate to many of your experiences. Glad you found just the right piano, and your wife helped you to make a decision. Good for you! smile

Enjoy!!

Rick

Yea, I'm super happy. My wife has been a lot of help most of my life. I don't know if she was testing me to see how much I liked the Kawai because she kept saying, "we can get the steinway if you want, are you sure you don't want the steinway?" She's like you just turned 40, dad passed, people are dying all around ( she runs covid units), our 20th anniversary is coming up in a few months, get the steinway, go all out. I said nah, I like the warmth of the Kawai, even this piano is too much piano for me. If I ever outgrow it or my kids do, I'll try the shigeru. Anyway, I'm counting the days till the piano gets here .

Last edited by drvenom; 01/19/22 10:33 PM.

Piano fledgling/neophyte

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
Congrats! We’re al looking forward to pics when it is delivered And BTW, think your wife is AWESOME!!!

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Woo hooo!!!! Yay!!! yippie

So excited for you!

Also… you almost had me at the S&S “f it” part! grin grin

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Oh, and yes, your wife is awesome!!

What would we do without our piano-supportive spouses?

(or is the plural speece… whome

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 01/19/22 11:29 PM.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
drvenom Offline OP
OP Offline
D
Oh, and yes, your wife is awesome!!

(or is the plural speece… whome
Woo hooo!!!! Yay!!! yippie

So excited for you!

Also… you almost had me at the S&S “f it” part! grin grin

I thought about getting the S&S but honestly it would have been a waste of money. It’s not like I’m going to sit in front of the Kawai and think, oh this Piano is no good should have gotten the S&S. I really like the sound of the Kawai and at least to my ears it sounds as good as the S&S, it’s just a different sound. Based on that estimation the S&S would be a waste of money as it would just be bragging rights for me haha. Yes, I’m glad our spouses are supportive. Since I didn’t get a silent system and didn’t get the S&S, I’ll probably wait for hybrid digitals to get a little better and get one in a year or two. For now my hp605 will serve as my quiet practice piano.

This forum was super helpful with this purchase, I would have been lost without yalls guidance. Thank you!

Piano fledgling/neophyte

Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
[...]

[...]

Divorce!

Cheers!

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Deals like that don't come along everyday. Over time I think you will appreciate the satin finish. I'm thrilled for you. Congratulations !!!

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
R
R
Congrats on your good piano, and your good wife!

Soli Chopin gloria
Page 4 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
ES520 vx FP-90 action
by puremusic - 05/17/22 01:04 PM
Natural sharp sign?
by Brus - 05/17/22 06:15 AM
Such a great piece!
by Qazsedcft - 05/17/22 04:48 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,112
Posts3,192,233
Members105,297
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission