2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
40 members (Charles Cohen, CraiginNZ, curates_egg, 13bwl, Calavera, C. L., dima5222, brennbaer, 7 invisible), 470 guests, and 298 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Secured, there are a number of factors that cause variation in piano pricing of the same model, and I’m sure this has only become more complicated with the current piano shortage situation. This is an article on PianoBuyer.com that discusses some of the factors that result in variable pricing: https://www.pianobuyer.com/acoustic-pianos-introduction-to-brand-profiles-models-prices/ .
There have also been a number of threads on this topic, but I can’t find some of the more recent ones. One of the bullet points listed in the article, which I think is important to the purchaser, is the following: the level of pre- and post-sale service the dealer provides. This is not equivalent between dealers, and I think that if you purchase something from an out of state dealer, sight unseen, for a bargain price, you can expect to get very little by way of pre- and post- sale service.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
I also wonder if the expense (and hassle) of transporting/taking delivery from a new piano purchased out of state would cancel out any savings to the buyer. Unless the seller arranged transport, but all the dealers I’ve seen have a max. distance as a restriction on free delivery.

But as to your question of pricing, I’m afraid I can’t help bc I’ve never bought a new piano.

Good luck!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
D
D
Are you at all interested in Kawais? I know where you can get a good deal on a gl30 or gl40.

Piano fledgling/neophyte
Acoustic: Kawai GL40
Digital: Roland hp605
Toy: Yamaha motif xs8

And 😎 acoustic and classical guitars.
N
N
I have a C3x with silent system. My piano is in pristine condition. Looking for a new owner who will take care of it. I'm in Southern California message me if interested.

Yamaha C3X SH <=Yamaha C3 PE <= Yamaha AvantGrand N2 <= Yamaha CLP-645 <= Yamaha P-140s
C
C
Originally Posted by drvenom
Are you at all interested in Kawais? I know where you can get a good deal on a gl30 or gl40.
Hi Drvenom, I am looking to buy a GL30, would you mind to share where you can get a good deal? I'm also located in Los Angeles. Thank you smile

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Chocolaty
Hi Drvenom, I am looking to buy a GL30, would you mind to share where you can get a good deal? I'm also located in Los Angeles. Thank you smile
Sent you a PM.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
D
D
Originally Posted by Chocolaty

PM me and I'll give you the details.

Piano fledgling/neophyte
Acoustic: Kawai GL40
Digital: Roland hp605
Toy: Yamaha motif xs8

And 😎 acoustic and classical guitars.
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by secured
Thanks for suggestions and advice, everyone. Both our boys play a Yamaha upright. The older one has been playing for almost 13 years and he is quite advanced - so much so that when he told me the next piece he is going to start working on, I said the upright wouldn't do justice and we need a grand. That's how the whole exploration started. I see Yamaha as Lexus - something I can rely on to be acceptably high quality. We went to a local Yamaha dealer and kids played a number of models. Obviously, we ended up liking longer pianos more than the likes of GC1 or C1X. On the other hand, no sure if we want to have a 7' piano. But while researching my options, I started reading about transacoustic options and though it provides a good compromise of sound quality for a certain size with sampled sounds. There are only 4-5 dealers in SoCal, but we have found one that has the model and we will try it. BTW, my main question was about the price. While I am grateful for other suggestions, I would still like to get opinions on price. Thanks.
It depends on what upright and what grand.A taller good upright can sound much better than a short grand especially in the bass which is limited in small grands.A C2 or CX2 would better.(otherwise a Kawai GX2)Otherwise a larger GL.

Also it is seldom a very good upright can be outplayed if it is kept well regulated. A nice size grand can be an excellent choice.I personally would not order an unplayed piano though.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Thanks for those links. I don't know if I've looked at the "A Map of the Market For New Pianos" before, but if I had, it must have been when I didn't know enough for it to be meaningful.

Now, after many years of paying attention to different kinds/brands/tiers of pianos, and having my own experience of shopping for a grand (however modest) it's super interesting to see that chart and read through it.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
Thanks for those links. I don't know if I've looked at the "A Map of the Market For New Pianos" before, but if I had, it must have been when I didn't know enough for it to be meaningful.

Now, after many years of paying attention to different kinds/brands/tiers of pianos, and having my own experience of shopping for a grand (however modest) it's super interesting to see that chart and read through it.
I do not think having a C2 grand is modest.Perhaps I was wrong but I thought the OP should be exposed to more than one brand.Believe me ShiroKuro I respect Yamaha grands, my aim was just to be helpful.There does seem to be a growing stigma in posting those lists though.(confusing?) I find your post confusing, I meant no offence!
So many just buy pianos online nowadays, I thought I was providing more information. Best wishes tre corda

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Tre corda, re my “modest” comment, well, considering my piano was 20 years old when I bought it, and the top of the list in the Map starts with professional concert pianos, a used Yamaha C2 is certainly modest compared to some of the pianos listed there with 6-digit price tags! grin

In any case, all I meant by my post was that I enjoyed looking at the list, which is meaningful to me now because I recognize so many of the names that years ago I knew nothing about.

I don’t think there’s much of a stigma. PW members have all kinds of different pianos and people are always encouraging others to explore and lay as many brands as they can.

Anyway no offense take smile

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 01/22/22 11:52 PM.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
If I felt I needed a grand again and I could buy a grand a C2 (I have never tried a CX) a 20 year old well functioning one like yours would do me fine.Both Yamaha and Kawai make really fine pianos.They are also different and I cannot really say which is better.I am sure a C is on the same level as they always were.(the top of the professional list)
I certainly could not afford a European grand unless it was used and I was really lucky enough to find one at a good price.So I would certainly be happy with buying a C2 again.You were fortunate to find that piano at a such a good price!
There are some very expensive pianos on that list.There are others which are much less expensive though and are still nice.(Ed Seiler among others)
You have a good grand though, I have a "new to me" upright, (yes also a good model) but you win for sure! Actually I needed more space in that room which I now have.I agree the list may just provide some background to a piano someone may have the opportunity to try.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Shostakovich Second Waltz piano transcription..
by Petoskeyguy - 05/26/22 09:53 PM
Disklavier MKII : replace power supply?
by carlspost - 05/26/22 03:33 PM
Sight reading progress
by BlizzardPiano - 05/26/22 03:18 PM
13th Piano Composition Competition Fidelio (Extended!!)
by harmonium53 - 05/26/22 01:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,254
Posts3,194,760
Members105,376
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission