2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
61 members (Brendan, AndreaH, bwv872, BillS728, accordeur, 36251, 12 invisible), 600 guests, and 338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
OP Offline
A
Had a very good friend, started out as a client, hit it off, hung together socially.

My piano dealer had a special Baldwin SD10 for sale. Had been used in many concerts, played by stars, and had been tweaked and refined as a concert beast for years. For example it had been the main concert instrument on the big stage for the Telluride jazz Festival one year and got played by dozens of legendary jazz artists.

Although well used, it had all sorts of special qualities, so commanded a premium over other SD10s of similar age. He played it and decided that was the piano he wanted to play the rest of his life. He coulda done a lot worse, it was actually pretty special.

Was near six figures, and although he was a pretty successful guy in life, he didn't have the cash on hand, and the bank wanted collateral worth more than the sale price if they were going to finance it.

Nothing he could scrape together met the banks requirements, and other potential buyers were circling, so in a bit of desperation...

He begged his longtime girlfriend to put up her successful art gallery, as in the building and land, as collateral. He wore her down and she agreed.

The bank accepted this, he got the piano, and began making large monthly payments for years.

Last I heard (he had not paid it off completely yet but was almost there), he and the lady and the piano were all perfectly content.

So, how bad DO you want THAT piano?

Just food for thought.

L
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
L
That’s a cool story. If you want it, you’re willing to go the extra mile for it.

People finance huge homes for thirty years. Sometimes those homes appreciate, sometimes they don’t. They also finance cars, which are surely depreciating assets.

I like the 18month no interest loans on pianos. I just set a recurring payment and forget about it but that wasn’t for $100k.

2000 Post Club Member
Online Content
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by LarryK
That’s a cool story. If you want it, you’re willing to go the extra mile for it.
Except that he didn't, LOL.

She did, after being "worn down".

Originally Posted by An Old Square
He begged his longtime girlfriend to put up her successful art gallery, as in the building and land, as collateral. He wore her down and she agreed.

Lisa
Chief Cook & Pot Scrubber @ Cunningham Piano Club 🎹
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

“There is in all times a secret union of kindred spirits. Bind closer the circle, that the truth of art may shine forever clearer, spreading joy and blessing through the world.” R. Schumann
L
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
L
Originally Posted by ebonyk
Originally Posted by LarryK
Except that he didn't, LOL.

She did, after being "worn down".

Originally Posted by An Old Square

Oh, he rustled up the money, so he worked for it. It’s not easy to get money out of anybody, like family or girlfriends, not that I’ve ever bothered trying.

Kurt Vonnegut speculated that our family units are too small and suggested adding -flower to the end of our names to create superfamilies. That way a musician who was a -Sunflower could appeal to other -Sunflowers for help.

Did he ever marry the woman?

Last edited by LarryK; 01/15/22 12:20 PM.
E
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
E
If the laws regarding real estate liens are the same as my state of Washington. The collateral lien on the girlfriends real estate could only be satisfied when the property was sold if the piano loan was under default judgment.

So if boyfriend stopped paying piano loan, the only penalty to girlfriend would be when she sold the property. Except to their credit reports.

In a seemingly infinite universe-infinite human creativity is-seemingly possible.
According to NASA, 93% of the earth like planets possible in the known universe have yet to be formed.
A
OP Offline
A
1. They all moved, no clue if they got married.

2. Didn't know that detail about bank loans, interesting.

Meanwhile, I, a retired concert tuner of many decades, (albeit deaf-ish), have to practice on either a 50s Wurlitzer console with a long list of defects which I've no appetite to fix, or an 1859 Steinway square, which is actually the far better piano believe it or not, being fully restored.

I signed up for MOYD, so far at least 5 minutes a day on one or the other.

D
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
D
It is perfectly acceptable to have an 1859 Steinway square as one's main piano! Rather exciting, in fact.

I tend to play my Broadwood square (1804) more than the Bluthner.

S
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S
Wow! That’s a crazy story for figuring out how to finance expensive interests. I would not have been happy if I’d been the girlfriend. But I’m glad it worked out well for all parties.

OldSquare, do you not have a special friend who’d be willing to underwrite your dream piano?

BTW, I love your anecdotes, and you have a gift for story telling.

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
does anyone know how tall richter was
by pablobear - 05/25/22 08:17 PM
Best piano app for android
by Kihar - 05/25/22 12:54 PM
I left my piano school today
by Animisha - 05/25/22 12:33 PM
Drummer need suggestion for piano style
by Wundebober - 05/25/22 12:08 PM
6 Pin DIN connector for Williams sustain pedal?
by emaydeoh - 05/25/22 11:18 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,235
Posts3,194,506
Members105,373
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission