2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
67 members (Animisha, AB99, bluebilly, 80k, beeboss, apianostudent, BMKE, 17 invisible), 3,952 guests, and 278 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Welcome to the Grieg Themed Recital, January 2022 edition. Links to the recordings are in the posts following this one. Please refrain from commentary in this thread. Take any and all comments to the General Discussion Thread for this recital.

Thank you!

In addition to the recordings below, and the zip files linked below, we have an online streaming player. Just click on the link to hear all the recital pieces without having to download the zip files:

Streaming Player

For the convenience of forum members, we also have a collection of zip files. This makes it easier to create personal CDs and playlists.

These zip files have been posted at the following URLs:

zip1.zip
zip2.zip
zip3.zip
zip4.zip

And here is the index to past recitals:

ABF Recital Index

Have fun listening, and remember, post your comments in the Discussion Thread.

Sam

Last edited by Sam S; 01/14/22 10:19 PM.
Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Sam S
Experience:12?
Direct music link:click to download
Video link:https://youtu.be/Zd9fdm6FI9w
Title of piece:Gade op. 57-2
Composer:Edvard Grieg
Duration:05:32
Instrument used:Yamaha C3
Comment Policy:General Comments only: Polite, supportive, suggestions for improvement
Additional info:I love this piece - actually I love any piece that is a "dialog" between high and low voices.

Grieg titled many of the Lyric Pieces in Norwegian. Gade is not a Norwegian word, but the name of a teacher and friend of Grieg's - Niels Wilhelm Gade (1817-1890). Gade was the assistant conductor to Mendelssohn in Leipzig and took over when Mendelssohn died. Gade was Danish, and encouraged and taught many Scandinavian musicians, including Grieg.

So I see this as a dialog between student and teacher, or between friends - that is pretty evident in the "A" section.

I only had one obvious "falter", when I tried to cross hands at the wrong time! What was I thinking? Sorry about that, but pretty typical for me!

Thanks for listening!

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Tim Adrianson
Experience:65+ years
Title of piece:Praeludium; Gavotte (From Holberg's Time)
Duration:07:33
Source of music:Sheet Music -- Dover
Instrument used:Kawai 5.5' baby grand
Recording method:TASCAM 40 320 Mb
Comment Policy:General Comments only: Polite, supportive, suggestions for improvement
Additional info:I've always thought that the suite "From Holberg's Time" represents the very best of Grieg; certainly I would place it in the top five of his considerable output. He composed the suite in 1884 to commemorate the 200th anniversary of Ludwig Holberg's birth. Holberg is well known in Scandinavia, and is considered to be the father of Danish literature. Although Grieg was Norwegian, his musical base was in Copenhagen, and so it was totally appropriate that he provide a commemorative composition for the occasion. He elected to provide a "suite" as people in the late 17th century understood it: a prelude; a set of dances; a slow dance or song (air); a fast dance to finish. By honoring the form, but providing his own harmonic pallette, he IMO created a wonderfully evocative effect that just fits the commemorative intention to a T. I recorded it in three parts; this one is the Praeludium and Gavotte.

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Sarabande; Rigaudon (From Holberg's Time)
Duration:08:08
Instrument used:Kawai 5.5' Baby Grand
Additional info:Here are the other two dances in the second installment of the "From Holberg's Time" suite -- a Sarabande and Rigaudon, respectively. Incidentally, Grieg himself prepared three versions of the Holberg Suite, one for solo piano. As such, it is really not a transcription, and I find the piano writing to be particularly idiomatic. Grieg was a good pianist, and knew how to write for the instrument!

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Air (From Holberg's Time)
Duration:09:48
Instrument used:Kawai 5.5' baby grand
Additional info:I've always considered the Air to be the centerpiece of this Suite. I don't believe Grieg ever reached deeper into his heart than this song -- for me, it is just wrenching in its intensity. Grieg must have had much the same attitude, because he requires a repeat of the entire 2nd section.

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:pianist685 (Constantin)
Experience:12 years of classical piano lessons from age 6 to 18, 30+ years of playing without a teacher since
Home page link:https://imslp.org/wiki/User:C._Stephan
Title of piece:Vals (Waltz) Op 12 No 2
Composer:Grieg
Duration:01:54
Source of music:sheet music
Instrument used:Sauter upright with silencer
Recording method:silencer to Galaxy Vintage D
Additional info:Grieg's Lyric Pieces are often considered "easy stuff" and something that children could and should play. However, while it is relatively easy to play the notes, I doubt that somebody with limited pianistic skills will be able to deliver proper renditions of these pieces. In particular, I found this waltz quite challenging in the "B" part where the left hand takes over the melody (with awkward grace notes) and a collision with the right hand on the c# is pretty likely.

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Experience:12 years of classical piano lessons from age 6 to 18, 30+ years of playing without a teacher since
Title of piece:Vaegtersang (Watchman's Song), Op 12 No 3
Duration:02:47
Additional info:Again, the "B" part is challenging because of the fast septuplets that describe the "ghosts of the night". I do not count there, just consider them as a sound effect to be played intuitively.

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Alfedans (Fairy Dance), Op 12 No 4
Duration:01:07
Additional info:I hesitated a bit before I recorded this piece because many people have an improper expectation concerning the tempo. There are commercial recordings at 250 or 280 bpm which is more than prestissimo, while Grieg marked it only "molto allegro". My rendition is around 200 bpm (which is presto already), and I think that is enough. Unfortunately, many listeners expect a pianist to play this piece as fast as possible, otherwise they think it is not properly executed.

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Sommeraften (Summer's Eve), Op 71 No 2
Duration:02:34
Additional info:This is one of Grieg's late lyric pieces. The description of a Norwegian summer evening is quite impressionistic.

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:lilypad
Experience:8 years as child, then on & off since retirement in 2004
Title of piece:Arietta, Op. 12, No. 1
Duration:01:27
Instrument used:Yamaha CLP-735
Recording method:digital to USB, audacity for normalizing & conversion from .wav to .mp3
Additional info:I wasn't sure whether I'd have the skill to play a Grieg piece and made this a project. I watched a pianoTV YouTube video on easiest Grieg pieces to get an idea of the minimum grade level I'd be facing (5/6). Then I bought a Grieg Lyric Pieces book and looked over the scores of the recommended pieces while listening to them. I then chose what I considered to be the shortest, easiest, nicest sounding one. After that, I watched a YouTube tutorial with what I thought was great advice on bringing out the melody and went to work on the piece. I had some hand independence issues at first and struggled a bit with the hairpins, but feel happy with the result.

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Moods, Op 73 Resignation; Scherzo Impromptu
Duration:05:13
Source of music:Sheet Music Dover
Additional info:"Moods" is Grieg's last contribution to the piano literature. It is comprised of seven pieces with varying character. Initially, he had intended to provide a set of pieces more large-scale and serious than the Lyric Pieces, but it is thought that ill health prevented him from achieving that (he died a year or two after publishing "Moods" in 1906). I've chosen to present the pieces in three installments, to accommodate the 20 Mb constraint. The first two are "Resignation", which really is the one "mood" piece in the set, followed by "Scherzo-Impromptu", a beguiling dance-like piece with the pronounced Norwegian character so characteristic of late Grieg.

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Moods, Op 73 Night Ride; Folk Melody
Duration:08:51
Additional info:The next two "Moods" are "Night Ride" and "Folk Melody", respectively. "Night Ride" is the most ambitious virtuosically: using the same thematic material, it moves from a terrifying minor mode to a pastoral major mode, repeating the same "ride" almost verbatim to end the piece. Rather strange, IMO, in its degree of contrast. The "Folk Melody" is IMO vintage Grieg -- he set an actual folk song from a compilation provided by Ludwig Lindeman, with tenderness and care.

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Moods, Op 73 Study; Students' Serenade; Mountaineer's Song
Duration:08:42
Additional info:Here are the last three "Moods" -- "Study" is actually a reworking of a piece Grieg composed in 1867. It is subtitled "Homage to Chopin", very likely because it has a character similar to Chopin's F Minor Etude. "Students' Serenade" evokes for me a German male chorus -- a Maennerchor, if you will. And finally, the "Mountaineer's Song" is vintage late Grieg -- stripped-down, austere, distinctively Scandinavian.

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:winterflower
Experience:Many.
Title of piece:Peace of the Woods / Skovstilhed op 71-4
Duration:05:15
Instrument used:Pianoteq 7 Grotrian
Comment Policy:Critical Comments: Anything goes!
Additional info:Lyric Pieces, Opus 71 # 4 in B
Perhaps 'lento' is my favorite tempo....
I think it is cool how effective this piece is, how the pauses etc. add to the effectiveness, and besides I like the music, especially the final chords.
It really is cool.

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:KevinM
Experience:5
Video link:https://vimeo.com/662375079
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin/sets/my-progress
Title of piece:Lyric Waltz Opus 12 No. 2
Duration:01:54
Source of music:Sheet music via music notes. Paid for by a gift certificate for my birthday
Instrument used:MP11SE - Connected to a macMini and using the virtual piano the Bosendorfer VC280 from VSL
Recording method:Recording done on the macMini using Audio HiJack capturing the output of VSL's standalone vienna player.
Comment Policy:Polite Comments only: no suggestions for improvement please.
Additional info:I'm still struggling with the rhythm, mostly thrown off by accidentals apart from the b section where generally i struggle with the rhythm.

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:KevinM
Experience:5
Video link:https://vimeo.com/662897683
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/sheffieldkevin/sets/my-progress
Title of piece:Watchman's Song Opus 12 No. 3
Duration:02:26
Source of music:Sheetmusic from music notes, provided by a gift certificate
Instrument used:MP11SE digital piano, connected to macMini and using the virtual piano the Bluthner 1895 from VSL
Recording method:Recorded on the macMini using AudioHiJack capturing the sound from VSL standalone player application.
Comment Policy:Polite Comments only: no suggestions for improvement please.
Additional info:I found the intermezzo sections particularly difficult. i also found keeping to the correct tempo. Because apart from the intermezzo section I could play faster, I tended to speed up as the piece progressed when trying to record.

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:cygnusdei
Experience:Most of my childhood and adult life
Title of piece:Morgenstemning (Morning Mood), Op. 46 no. 1
Duration:03:14
Source of music:Sheet music
Instrument used:Hailun HG151
Recording method:Zoom H1
Additional info:It's hard to get this right, always hit and miss. But finally I got a version that I hope has more hit than miss smile

Note on volume: I tried to normalize the recording so it's louder overall, but because it has a wide dynamic range, doing so would create distortion in the louder parts, so I leave it as-is.

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:rwsavory
Title of piece:Notturno, Op 54 No. 4
Duration:04:06
Source of music:Sheet music - Peters
Instrument used:Kawai GL-40
Recording method:Tascam DR-05
Additional info:During piano lessons some years ago I wanted to play Troldtog, March of the Dwarfs, because it sounded so cool. I soon realized my folly, and my instructor assigned Notturno, in the same volume, mainly as a series of exercises. When the recital was announced I dug out the music and also listened to several recordings of it for the first time. It was rewarding trying to turn my former exercises into actual music. I hope you enjoy it.

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Greta99
Home page link:https://soundcloud.com/user-513119297
Title of piece:Popular Melody, Op. 12 No. 5
Composer:Grieg, Edvard
Duration:01:20
Instrument used:Kawai CA-58
Recording method:Digital piano

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Album Leaf, Op. 12 No. 7
Duration:01:25

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Title of piece:Solveig's Song
Duration:03:31

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:ElaineAllegro
Experience:Way too many relative to current level!
Title of piece:Norwegian Dances Op 17, No 1, Spring Dance
Duration:01:14
Source of music:Downloaded Edition Peters sheet music from IMSLP.
Instrument used:Steingraeber A170
Recording method:Zoom Q2n video recorder, imported to Windows MovieMaker, extracted audio, and went to an online converter to convert to mp3. There has to be a less time consuming process!
Additional info:25 Nordische Tanze und Volksweisen (25 Norwegian Dances and Folk Songs), written for pianoforte, by Edvard Grieg, Op. 17.

No. 1 Springtanz (Spring Dance)
No. 2 Der Jungling (Swain, Shepherd)
No. 23 Bauernlied (Peasant Song)

Before winter break, my teacher and I chose music to work on for the next six months. This collection of very short pieces was intended for sight reading (and because I love any kind of folk dance). Around that time, I noticed the sign-up for the Grieg recital and set the impossible goal of having 5 of the pieces performance ready in less than 5 weeks. Well, they are not performance ready, and I am including only three very short pieces. (My takeaway: do not sign up for online recitals; just show up if I am really ready!)

Regardless of the state of my playing, I wanted to introduce these pieces to you as another take on Grieg. I love the quickly shifting dynamics in each of these pieces. To really hear all the nuances, please look for the definitive recordings of Eva Knardahl in YouTube. Each of the 25 pieces is a separate YouTube recording. (I have been listening to her full CD of these pieces every night, hoping they would just sink in, but...)

IMSLP offers several versions of the score for solo piano: https://imslp.org/wiki/25_Norwegian_Folk_Songs_and_Dances%2C_Op.17_(Grieg%2C_Edvard)

Critical comments, because I am going to work on most of the 25 for quite a while.

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Experience:Ok, 10 as child; 10+ restarting many decades later.
Title of piece:Norwegian Dances Op 17, No 2, The Shepherd
Duration:00:48
Source of music:Edition Peters, downloaded from IMSLP
Recording method:Zoom Q2n, to Windows MovieMaker for trimming the ends, to online converter to mp3
Additional info:Please see comments under Norwegian Dances No. 1

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Experience:Lots but never enough.
Title of piece:Norwegian Dances Op 17, No 23, Peasant Song
Duration:00:50
Source of music:Edition Peters, downloaded from IMSLP
Recording method:Zoom Q2n video recorder, to Windows MovieMaker for trimming, to online file converter into mp3 file.
Additional info:Please see comments under Norwegian Dances No. 1.

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Saan
Experience:12 years of lessons as a child, restarted after a 23 year break. I noodled around for a while on my own before starting lessons again a bit more than a year ago.
Video link:https://youtu.be/ScnJ6EIzq3w
Title of piece:Saebygga (Op. 17 No. 21)
Duration:01:32
Source of music:Music for Millions volume 37, Classics to Moderns in the Intermediate Grade
Instrument used:Yamaha U3H
Recording method:Quicktime and a USB mic
Additional info:This was one of my quick studies for the 40 pieces a year challenge last year.

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Saan
Experience:12 years of lessons as a child, restarted after a 23 year break. I noodled around for a while on my own before starting lessons again a bit more than a year ago.
Video link:https://youtu.be/4zM18RdDr5U
Title of piece:Lyric Pieces Op. 12 No. 1: Arietta
Duration:01:27
Source of music:Henle Lyric Pieces collection
Instrument used:Yamaha U3H
Recording method:Quicktime and a USB mic
Additional info:This was one of my favorite quick studies from last year. Such a lovely little piece; I may come back to it at some point to refine it.

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:P Westberg
Experience:About 10 years growing up. Restarted about one year ago on an old digital (HP 201) and got this piano in September of last year. This is my second ABF recital.
Video link:https://youtu.be/SEo29f5YAAw
Title of piece:Peasant's Song, Op.65 No. 2
Duration:01:43
Source of music:https://s9.imslp.org/files/imglnks/usimg/0/0a/IMSLP00186-Grieg_-_Lyric_Pieces,_Op_65.pdf
Instrument used:Feurich F179
Recording method:Single condenser microphone -> Presonus Studio 24c -> Studio One -> rendered to .mp3.
Additional info:Not as polished as I'd like, but a week ago I didn't even think I'd be able to make a recordable version. I chose this piece thinking it would be relatively easy to prepare but some parts were more of a challenge than expected.

I think the first Grieg piece I played was probably Watchman's Song, and then later some of the other pieces from Op 12, though that was a long time ago.

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
Performer's name:Rachtoven
Experience:3.5
Title of piece:Arietta and Waltz Op 12 No. 1 & 2
Duration:03:19
Instrument used:Kawai RX-3
Recording method:Recorded using Line Audio Omni1 mics and the SSL2 audio interface
Additional info:I'm happier with the Arietta than the Waltz, but I've not been playing the Waltz very long and need more time to polish my performance.

Sam S Offline OP
5000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
5000 Post Club Member
That's all folks! Thanks for participating and happy listening!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Learn to Burn!
by Dfrankjazz - 07/01/22 12:36 AM
Summer school in UK
by FarmGirl - 06/30/22 11:12 PM
Recommended tech in NYC?
by skern49 - 06/30/22 07:39 PM
UEFI / BIOS settings regarding CPU
by David Lai - 06/30/22 07:26 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,757
Posts3,204,644
Members105,686
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission