2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
84 members (astrotoy, anamnesis, AJB, BravoRomeo, brennbaer, 13bwl, Brinestone, 17 invisible), 1,019 guests, and 353 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
I posted a similar thread awhile back, but I can't find it, so...

I have a 7 year old Kawai MP11 that was damaged due to being improperly stored on its end and not in its case by my former East coast landlord while I was"Covid stuck" in LA for 15 months.

I previously received advice here on PWF to rotate the instrument several times, which I did (with assistance). I then let it "sit" for a long time, in hopes that it would acclimate and recover.

Unfortunately, it didn't. It's still damaged. Many of the keys -- especially in the center, and especially the black keys --- can hardly be pressed down at all.

It's totally unplayable...

I currently have it in a basement in my house and I can work on it. I'm reasonably competent with tools.

I would greatly appreciate any suggestions as to how to fix it before I "open it up."

Thanks,

- Jeff Newton (saxophonist / pianist / nascent guitarist)

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
S
S
Presumably the slip tape has slipped off or something? It's the achilles heel of the GF1 and GF2 actions.

Kawai CA79
G
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
G
Are you handy? Comfortable with screws/sheet metal/mechanical contraptions and very basic electronics (plugging/unplugging Molex/JST connectors)? If so, it's not hard at all to remove the cover of an MP11 and access the keys and action. There are a dozen screws on the bottom and maybe a couple on the back? I think the only non-intuitive tip is to slip a sheet of paper between the wooden cheek block and the top cover on each side, to avoid scratching the wood as you pivot the cover out of the way. I've posted some pictures in the past and there is plenty online.

With 88 keys, you should easily be able to see what is wrong/different with the keys that don't move. Are they jammed against a bent keyslip? Are the balance/front rail pins bent and causing friction? Are the wooden keys splintered/broken?

At 7yo, you don't have to worry about maintaining a warranty, and since it's already non-functional, chances aren't too high you'd make it even worse. Seems like a "might as well try" situation to me.

And if you figure out what's wrong, you might be able to land a salvage/non-functional MP11 for spare parts to make a fix? Fingers crossed!

Bosendorfer D214VC ENPro, Kawai NV-10
Past: Yamaha P-85, P-105, CP50, Kawai MP11
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Originally Posted by Gombessa
Are you handy? Comfortable with screws/sheet metal/mechanical contraptions and very basic electronics (plugging/unplugging Molex/JST connectors)? If so, it's not hard at all to remove the cover of an MP11 and access the keys and action. There are a dozen screws on the bottom and maybe a couple on the back? I think the only non-intuitive tip is to slip a sheet of paper between the wooden cheek block and the top cover on each side, to avoid scratching the wood as you pivot the cover out of the way. I've posted some pictures in the past and there is plenty online.

OK, so I unscrew the cover from the bottom and pivot it off. I can do that...

With 88 keys, you should easily be able to see what is wrong/different with the keys that don't move. Are they jammed against a bent keyslip? Are the balance/front rail pins bent and causing friction? Are the wooden keys splintered/broken?

I guess I'll find out!

At 7yo, you don't have to worry about maintaining a warranty, and since it's already non-functional, chances aren't too high you'd make it even worse. Seems like a "might as well try" situation to me.

Yes, it does...

And if you figure out what's wrong, you might be able to land a salvage/non-functional MP11 for spare parts to make a fix? Fingers crossed![/quote]

I hadn't thought about spare parts! Does Kawai sell them?

(apologies for bad formatting...)

Selmer Mark VI Tenor (‘73) & Alto Sax (‘57), Yamaha YSS-62 Soprano Sax (‘87), Conn Naked Lady Baritone Sax (‘52), Conn New Wonder Tenor & Alto Sax (‘24), Yamaha WX5 Wind Synth (‘13), Kawai MP11 & ES-110, Numa Compact 2x, Casio PX5S, Roland VR-09, Hammond E-112 (‘69).
S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
I'm not sure what "slip tape" is....

V
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
V
Slip tape is something at the back of the key where a capstan-like screw rests and "slips". In many cases they fell off or the captans gets glued to it and does not easily slip and the key is stuck.
But in your case it is most probably a keybed warp, and slip tape problems are irrelevant...

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Thanks...

_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_

S
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
500 Post Club Member
S
Thank you! I had actually posted i there, years ago, about the space between the C and D keys! I had forgotten about the thread....

It looks like the solution is in there, somewhere ... lots of reading!

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai ES520 Teardown
by KawaFanboi - 05/20/22 01:00 PM
My Kawai RX3 finally started to sounds like Kawai
by Joonsung - 05/20/22 12:52 PM
I need some advice
by Lúthien - 05/20/22 12:23 PM
Harmonization by pentatonic chords
by Nahum - 05/20/22 06:25 AM
Studio Grand from XLN audio for 62€
by klausi6 - 05/20/22 06:23 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,158
Posts3,193,155
Members105,328
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission