2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
30 members (Ek81, Alex C, Greta99, Damien PG, HZPiano, Charles Cohen, CraiginNZ, 4 invisible), 534 guests, and 247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#3183563 01/08/22 10:36 PM
ebonyk Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
I’m seriously thinking about applying for the Advanced Diploma program with the Eastman School of Music’s community music school.

https://www.esm.rochester.edu/community/diplomas/#1630429552238-2c717ef7-317a

It’s about an hour’s drive from me, and it’s something that I’ve wanted to do for a long time. I’d be required to take weekly lessons there, which wouldn’t be an issue at all. There’s also theory and history, as well as performance requirements. I sent them a bunch of questions so I’d know exactly what I’m getting into. And I’m positive my regular teacher here would be more than happy to help me.

It would be a huge commitment. The advanced diploma is a 3 year program, but summer isn’t required, only fall and winter/spring. I’d continue to work with my regular teacher over summers.

I really, really want to do this, but I’m wondering if the distance would wear me out over time, though in reality it would only be 3-4 hours, one day per week (unless they say I have to be there more often, which would probably kill the idea, lol).

I’m on sabbatical from teaching and not even entirely sure I’ll be returning. I’d have lots of time. Life is short. I’ve always wanted to do a program like this.

Thoughts? ❤️

Lisa
Chief Cook & Pot Scrubber @ Cunningham Piano Club 🎹
Cunningham Studio Grand & Yamaha CLP645

“There is in all times a secret union of kindred spirits. Bind closer the circle, that the truth of art may shine forever clearer, spreading joy and blessing through the world.” R. Schumann
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
I think only you can make this decision, as only you know exactly your circumstances and how they would impact being involved in such a program and how the involvement in the program would impact your circumstances.

If your heart is in it and you can weigh all the parameters and come out ahead, then perhaps it is worth considering. Have you talked to your current teacher about this?

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
Gold Subscriber
Gold Subscriber
I am a little confused by what I read on the Diploma Program, as it only lists requirements for those who are "non-keyboard majors." What are the requirements for piano students. The entrance requirements for adults state:

As far as adults students are concerned:

Adult Students who enrolled in the diploma in Fall 2021 and have not previously taken theory at ECMS
Student who should follow the previous policies and requirements found in this brochure include:
[...]
Adult students who enrolled in the diploma program in 2019 or before.

it reads as though an adult has to have been part of the program before enrolling for the current year.

The requirements seem very elementary which, again, suggests that this is a program for non-keyboard students:

2-octave scales in at least 4 major and 4 minor keys, hands separately, plus chord progressions I – IV – I – V – I in the same keys
3 pieces of varying styles (memorization not required), of the level of difficulty of The Notebook of Anna Magdalena Bach, Bartók Mikrokosmos, Volume 2, easier etudes of Czerny, or children’s pieces by Kabalevsky, Norton, Schumann
a short sight-reading example, using both hands and both clefs.

Perhaps you have read the brochure more carefully than I have, and perhaps you can respond to these issues.

Regards,

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
S
3000 Post Club Member
Online Content
3000 Post Club Member
S
One should always try to fulfill the dreams and passion of life. I am not in position to judge the value of the program, but if you think it is a good one, and thats something you really want, then you should go for it.

Blüthner model 6
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
My first reaction is: do it!!

My second reaction is, think about various scenarios, and then do it. whome

My third reaction is: hopefully Sam will chime in.

Ok, enough of that… some things to think about: how would you feel if you only did a portion of the program and were unable to continue? If that is ok with you, then I would say go for it.

Another thing to think about if the time commitment. Get a weekly schedule template and write out what your week would look like, by the hour. Commuting time, time on the Rochester campus, time for practicing (maybe at home and on campus). And then write in other things, time commitments you already have, not connected to this program.

Does it seem doable? Does it seem enjoyable? (Not for every second of every day, but you know, for the totality of the program.) If yes, then there’s your answer!

Ah, one other big detail: are the goals of the program aligned with your goals for your own playing? The approach, the balance between theory and actual playing, the eras/repertoire covered… are there other details you overlooked? Are there any expectations for duets, accompaniments, ensemble playing? And if so, would that be 1) something you’d want to do, and 2) feasible given your commute?

Hopefully this is helpful and gives you some things to think about.

And btw… How exciting! I would love to do something like this! smile

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 01/09/22 08:57 AM.

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
ebonyk Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by BruceD
I am a little confused by what I read on the Diploma Program, as it only lists requirements for those who are "non-keyboard majors." What are the requirements for piano students. The entrance requirements for adults state:

Adult Students who enrolled in the diploma in Fall 2021 and have not previously taken theory at ECMS
Student who should follow the previous policies and requirements found in this brochure include:
[...]

it reads as though an adult has to have been part of the program before enrolling for the current year.

The requirements seem very elementary which, again, suggests that this is a program for non-keyboard students:

2-octave scales in at least 4 major and 4 minor keys, hands separately, plus chord progressions I – IV – I – V – I in the same keys
3 pieces of varying styles (memorization not required), of the level of difficulty of The Notebook of Anna Magdalena Bach, Bartók Mikrokosmos, Volume 2, easier etudes of Czerny, or children’s pieces by Kabalevsky, Norton, Schumann

Perhaps you have read the brochure more carefully than I have, and perhaps you can respond to these issues.

Regards,
Originally Posted by BruceD

[...]

Regards,

That’s just the keyboard proficiency class for non-piano students. I wouldn’t be taking that, obviously. And no, I haven’t discussed this with my teacher yet, she’s on vacation and I won’t see her for 2 weeks. It’s just something I’m thinking about right now. 👍

I’ll call them tomorrow and get all the info.

Lisa

“There is in all times a secret union of kindred spirits. Bind closer the circle, that the truth of art may shine forever clearer, spreading joy and blessing through the world.” R. Schumann
ebonyk Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
My first reaction is: do it!!

My second reaction is, think about various scenarios, and then do it. whome

My third reaction is: hopefully Sam will chime in.

Ok, enough of that… some things to think about: how would you feel if you only did a portion of the program and were unable to continue? If that is ok with you, then I would say go for it.

Another thing to think about if the time commitment. Get a weekly schedule template and write out what your week would look like, by the hour. Commuting time, time on the Rochester campus, time for practicing (maybe at home and on campus). And then write in other things, time commitments you already have, not connected to this program.

Does it seem doable? Does it seem enjoyable? (Not for every second of every day, but you know, for the totality of the program.) If yes, then there’s your answer!

Ah, one other big detail: are the goals of the program aligned with your goals for your own playing? The approach, the balance between theory and actual playing, the eras/repertoire covered… are there other details you overlooked? Are there any expectations for duets, accompaniments, ensemble playing? And if so, would that be 1) something you’d want to do, and 2) feasible given your commute?

Hopefully this is helpful and gives you some things to think about.

And btw… How exciting! I would love to do something like this! smile

Definitely a lot to consider! What I would like to do is get a Bachelor’s degree in piano/music, but there’s no way I could afford that. I’m looking for something that I could do and afford. Eastman is one of the most prestigious conservatories in North America. Their community music school is excellent. It seems like a good choice. I’m calling them tomorrow to get all my questions answered. I’ll let you know how it goes!

Lisa

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Yes, I'm familiar with the Eastman reputation. It's very exciting that it's close enough for you to consider going there.

Is the diploma course part of their community music school or is that (the community music school) a separate option you're considering?

Another thing to consider is what would be different doing the diploma course as compared to working with a teacher (either your current teacher or someone else) in a different way from what you're doing now.

For example, I have long thought that if I ever get to retire, or maybe have a summer where I have time to do this, I would love to have three piano lessons each week, each with a different goal. One would be Bach, one would be jazz, and the other would be repertoire like what I'm doing now. I would practice for each of those lessons separately, sort of like how a college student with several classes studies.

I could do this kind of pianistic pursuit without enrolling in a university or special program -- I would just need to have the time to devote to the lessons and to the extra practicing (which I definitely do not have right now!)

Last edited by ShiroKuro; 01/09/22 10:53 AM.

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
3000 Post Club Member
The commute in the wintertime (basically November through April) in northern New York state might be your biggest hurdle. If you can get everything you need class-wise and lesson-wise on a single day, which you indicate might be possible, that would be good, but most classes (theory, history, etc) are scheduled for several days a week, in my experience.

That said, I think it would be better for you to try it and find out it's not working for you than to not try and always regret not having given it a shot. You have the luxury of your future livelihood not being dependent upon it.

[Linked Image]
Yamaha C3X
In summer, the song sings itself. --William Carlos Williams

5000 Post Club Member
5000 Post Club Member
Sounds like fun and a challenge. I am definitely in favor of having goals and working toward them. One of my former teachers got her masters at Eastman - it's a great school.

In my situation, I commuted about 40 minutes 3-5 times a week for lessons and classes. I was retired, so I was able to make the time commitment. It was an easy commute for me, in the opposite direction from Atlanta, through farmland - very different from the commute I did to Atlanta when I was working.

Here are some questions I thought of:

Would you be taking the same classes as the music majors? And graded the same way, with the same access to teachers and labs and so forth? In other words, not a person auditing for no grade with restrictions. Grades are a big motivator...

Do you take lessons from one of the piano professors? Or do you get a student teacher? Not that there is anything wrong with a student teacher - I had to do a couple of semesters of that, but I was learning as I went along. Something I never thought to ask - can you switch piano teachers if there is a personality conflict? Thankfully I only had short-term misunderstandings with my teacher.

Sounds like a great opportunity - hope it works out for you!

Sam

Back to School at 62: How I earned a BM degree in Piano Performance/Piano Pedagogy in my retirement!
ABF Online Recitals
ABF Recital Index
ebonyk Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Sam S
Sounds like fun and a challenge. I am definitely in favor of having goals and working toward them. One of my former teachers got her masters at Eastman - it's a great school.

In my situation, I commuted about 40 minutes 3-5 times a week for lessons and classes. I was retired, so I was able to make the time commitment. It was an easy commute for me, in the opposite direction from Atlanta, through farmland - very different from the commute I did to Atlanta when I was working.

My commute would only be a bit longer, but less times per week. I'm pretty sure I can schedule my lesson to be on the same day as the theory class (these are once a week, from what I can see on their schedule). There is history, as well, so that would be another day, maybe a twice-a-week drive, I'd have to see how that works out.

Originally Posted by Sam S
Here are some questions I thought of:

Would you be taking the same classes as the music majors? And graded the same way, with the same access to teachers and labs and so forth? In other words, not a person auditing for no grade with restrictions. Grades are a big motivator...

Do you take lessons from one of the piano professors? Or do you get a student teacher? Not that there is anything wrong with a student teacher - I had to do a couple of semesters of that, but I was learning as I went along. Something I never thought to ask - can you switch piano teachers if there is a personality conflict? Thankfully I only had short-term misunderstandings with my teacher.

Sounds like a great opportunity - hope it works out for you!

Sam
No, the classes are not with the music majors, the community music school is a separate entity with its own instructors, some of which are also faculty at the college. They also have interns that teach, and those are all students at the college. So I would be doing private weekly lessons, and then the theory and history classes. They also have other electives you can take, such as Conducting, Composition: Film Scoring, Composition: Computer Music, and Composition: Orchestration. What an opportinuty!!!!

Here's the website, they also offer online lessons. https://www.esm.rochester.edu/community/

I'm calling there tomorrow to get all the info, I'll let you know what I find out!

Lisa

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ebonyk
I'm calling there tomorrow to get all the info, I'll let you know what I find out!

You sound happy and excited, and I keep my fingers crossed that the info will make you apply! heart

Playing the piano is learning to create, playfully and deeply seriously, our own music in the world.
... feeling like the pianist on the Titanic ...
ebonyk Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Animisha
You sound happy and excited, and I keep my fingers crossed that the info will make you apply! heart

Thank you, I'm quite excited!!

Lisa

W
Online Content
W
From the opening post seems like you have thought through the pros and cons and virtually made up your mind. Go for it I say

Last edited by Wayne2467; 01/09/22 03:17 PM.
P
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
P
When you call the program administrators tomorrow, you might want to ask for a few references of adults who have finished the program. That way you can get several perspectives and honest feedback about the program.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
PianogrlNW that's a great suggestion.

Lisa, can I ask about the expense? Also, what's the monetary commitment? For example, if it seems like it's not working out, can you get a refund for the unfinished/unattended portions? (if that's relevant)

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Gyaaaa! Lisa, I've just been poking around the Diploma webpages, it looks soooo coool! I'm so jealous!!!

I hope you do it, so we can live vicariously through you!!

Started piano June 1999.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
What would be the purpose of taking this course vs. just continuing with your present teacher or a different teacher?

What would be the purpose of taking this course vs. just continuing with your present teacher or a different teacher? I think that has not been made clear.

ebonyk Offline OP
2000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
2000 Post Club Member
Thanks for the input, everyone! Expense is about $200-300 per semester per class, with the semesters being 17 weeks long. You pay per semester, 2 per year, and they let you pay monthly. I would definitely finish a semester, even if it turns out I’m not crazy about the program, so I’m not worried about refunds. Weekly private lessons are also by semester and depends on how long the lesson is, and if you’ve chosen an instructor (some of whom are professors at the college) or an intern (all current students at the college). Here are the prices, I think it’s quite reasonable. https://www.esm.rochester.edu/community/course/private-instruction/

So basically I’ll be paying about $50/week for the lesson (45 min with an instructor) and $15-17 for a class. That’s WAY more doable than college tuition and, since I already have 2 college degrees, I don’t see the need to get another one. I’m semi-retired.

Asking for references is a great idea, I’ll definitely do that!

Thanks, everyone, for the encouragement! 👍🙂❤️

Lisa

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Shostakovich Second Waltz piano transcription..
by Petoskeyguy - 05/26/22 09:53 PM
Disklavier MKII : replace power supply?
by carlspost - 05/26/22 03:33 PM
Sight reading progress
by BlizzardPiano - 05/26/22 03:18 PM
13th Piano Composition Competition Fidelio (Extended!!)
by harmonium53 - 05/26/22 01:20 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,254
Posts3,194,762
Members105,376
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission