2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
96 members (BillS728, accordeur, anamnesis, 36251, Alex Hutor, anotherscott, Animisha, brdwyguy, 23 invisible), 751 guests, and 337 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15
Recently PianoMeter for Android devices has been updated to version 3.3.4. It says that "Bug fix (file exporting/importing)". I don't know about other users, but only export works for me. And imports are not.

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
The problem was that individual tuning files were being exported as zip files (as if you were exporting multiple files) but with the wrong file extension. That was causing errors when people tried to then import those files.

Is it giving you any errors when you try to import a file? (I've had trouble import by clicking on the file in Android's default file manager. I typically use a 3rd party file manager app to browse and open files.)

Anthony Willey, RPT
PianoMeter
Willey Piano Tuning
I also use a third party file manager. When importing, a banner appears with a message: "Failed to import tunings: /storage/....../PianoMeter/........etf: open failed: EACCES (Permission denied)". Could it be that I have an to much old device with Android 5 ?

Thank you, I will look into that error.

Anthony Willey, RPT
PianoMeter
Willey Piano Tuning
Just tried it on my son's new phone. There is a version of Android 11. Everything is imported very well. And so it turned out: it's all about the old version of the operating system. If it works out, please, make the import work on devices with Android 5 and 6 (that's exactly what I have). Thanks!

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
On my quest to tune my Yamaha U3H piano, I was advised to check Pianometer. I have read all this thread (it has taken some hours laugh ), it is amazing how it has evolved over the years. I have downloaded it, both for Android and for iPad and, after checking both, I have got better audio pickup from the Android one, so I have bought the Plus option for Android.

The fisrt check, before buying it, had been a full (all 88 notes) scan (as unisons are not too bad, I have done it as a first check without muting them). It has generated a curious (for me) result. Note that the LA4 reading is just due to noise when capturing the image, it is really closer to that. But the important thing is that the app shows an streching very different of what is currently done on the piano. Of course, now it needs tuning, but I doubt it has changed so much from the last tune it was made to show such a discrepancy.

Here you have my 1976 Yamaha U3H current tuning measurements:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I was puzzled with the result... So, before touching anything, I have thought of trying other U3s... Well, I have just mine but, what about checking with U3-based VSTs?. My thinking was that if the stretching curves generated were similar, I would be more confident that my U3H could be tuned following those results. I hope I was not completely mad for doing this test, my engineering mind decided it was a good idea wink

So here you have the results of three different VSTs. Again, don't be fooled by the shown center note Pianometer reading, the important thing are the curves.

First, I have tried VI Labs Modern U, which is a good sounding sampled modern U3:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Then I have tried a modelled U3 (which should be perfect!), the Pianoteq U4:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

And then the XLN Modern Upright, probably sampled from an older U3:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

After these unusual tests, my conclusions are:

-Pianometer does a wonderful job calculating the inharmonicity-based tuning curve
-The modelled piano is the most perfect one (no surprises here!)
-My current U3H tuning is far from ideal

So now I should be brave enough to get into the tuning process. I know I need to proceed using mutes to recalculate the tuning curve, but I guess it won't change a lot. Any hint for a newcomer to tuning?. I have a decent tuning tool-set and am handy with mechanics. I am also studying the Reblitz book and have watched several videos. I will proceed with care thumb

Any hint on the tuning procedure will be welcomed. My first idea is to follow the information at the Pianometer site.

Thanks for your help!

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
I'd recommend you go back to your piano and begin remeasuring notes that are far from the inharmonicity constant curve. Quiet room, only single string sounding, no louder than mf. See if you can get the dots to be more linear - even if they don't match the line.

Ron Koval

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

my piano videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/drwoodwind/videos

500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by RonTuner
I'd recommend you go back to your piano and begin remeasuring notes that are far from the inharmonicity constant curve. Quiet room, only single string sounding, no louder than mf. See if you can get the dots to be more linear - even if they don't match the line.

Ron Koval

Thanks Ron!. Being my very first attempt to tune and also my first Pianometer use, I was not aware of what to expect on that curve. Now I understand dots should be closer to the line and more regularly distributed even if the piano is not tuned. I will do as you suggest.

Abusing of your experience, I guess you have worked on U3s (and U1s, which I guess should be pretty close). How are they, regarding difficulty of tuning?. Looking at the current curves, should I expect a noticeable change on its overall sound (I mean for harmonies) if I apply the suggested stretch, which seems higher than the current one?

Thanks!

Jose

Yamaha U3H
Kawai VPC1
...plus some other DPs, synths, controllers and VSTs

[Linked Image]
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
The U1 and U3 pianos that I service are usually among the easiest for me to tune. They, like almost all pianos will change pitch with the seasons here in Chicago - though it is important to realize that the pitch change varies from section to section.

I wouldn't worry too much about the difference shown on the graph. Let us know how it looks after you get more accurate measurements!

Piano/instrument technician
www.ronkoval.com

my piano videos:
https://www.youtube.com/user/drwoodwind/videos

T
T
Anthony, would you consider adding a feature to zoom in on the dial indicator to help save the eyes of an aging tuner who tunes using a phone? Thanks for considering.

Last edited by TeeBach; 03/19/22 10:11 PM.
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Silver Subscriber
500 Post Club Member
Another option would be to buy an inexpensive Android or Chromebook Tablet. That's what I use. Much bigger screen which is easier to see and navigate. Here's a Lenovo Tablet that's inexpensive and here's a case that would work well with it.

"That Tuning Guy"
Scott Kerns
Lincoln, Nebraska
www.thattuningguy.com
A
A
Originally Posted by EB5AGV
Any hint on the tuning procedure will be welcomed.

Be patient! Tuning needs practice though you got an excellent software. The setting of the pin is, what makes the tone stable for longer than 5 minutes. I practised for ca. 1 year, before I did some free tunings for other people.

A good first training is, to tune clear unisons.

Use a stable tuning lever.

excuse my bad english, I'm not native. Corrections are always welcome!
Page 15 of 15 1 2 13 14 15

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Pianist Magazine back issues
by cstueart - 05/19/22 10:41 AM
Keith Jarrett Chord Progressions (video)
by indigo_dave - 05/19/22 10:07 AM
Rounded keytops
by zxac - 05/19/22 09:50 AM
Change of Screen Name
by Bart K - 05/19/22 09:46 AM
Most recorded piece
by pianoloverus - 05/19/22 09:27 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,143
Posts3,192,847
Members105,315
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission