2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
56 members (AndrewJCW, accordeur, Consul50, Bett, 36251, Damien PG, anotherscott, 15 invisible), 957 guests, and 376 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3180907 12/29/21 01:55 PM
C
Cutec Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi all. Looking to upgrade from an es920.
Went to a store and tried a few.
Clp785. Sort of liked it but not wowed. The keys definitely felt heavier than I'm used to. Nice to touch, sound a bit 'thicker' than CA79
CA79, felt more natural to me and easier to play. Could be because I've got used to es920. Sound felt more alive than CLP 785. 79 felt like a sprinter while the 785 was a bit slower like a middle distance runner! Sound on kawai was very good I thought and had a bit more sparkle. Keys were definitely a bit more bouncy. Tried both with headphones, didn't notice a great difference.
Ca99, tried it briefly, didn't think it was any better than CA79. Probably needed more time with it.
NU1X. Kept going back and forth to this one. Sometimes I thought it was good , sometimes thought the Ca79 was better, sound wise. The keys and action felt quality but a bit shallow and notchy.
Nv5s. Out of my budget, probably,. Key action and sound hit the spot I thought. Money no object I buy this
one. Felt more natural soundwise compared to the NU1X.
In summary I'm sure I'd get used to all these pianos at home and think I find a grand action better for me than upright action. However nv5s slightly muddies those waters. I'm now left with 2 choices. CA79 which would do me for several years quite happily or nv5s that would do me several years even happier.
My brain is saying can the NV be £3000 better than a Ca79. I'm struggling to work that one out. Any opinions appreciated.

C
Cutec Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Any views on CA79 Vs an nv5s. Played both, could probably love the Ca79, but would definitely love the Novus 5. Struggling back and forth if it's worth £3000 more? I know it's subjective but would you go for something that gives you 80% or go for the 100% item. I'm 61 so won't be buying many pianos in the future. £3k is still a lot of money.
I guess we all have the same conundrum in most purchases.

Last edited by Cutec; 12/30/21 11:06 AM. Reason: Left out some wording.
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
The NV5 would cost you less than £6 a week more if you kept that piano for say, 10 years.
If you bought the 79, you'd likely look for something else after 5. I'd say "Go for it" but I'm veru good at advising others how to spend their money . . .
Spend more time on the NV5 before your final decision. smile And don't forget your mask . .

"I am not a man. I am a free number"

"[Linked Image]"
Z
Z
Originally Posted by peterws
The NV5 would cost you less than £6 a week more if you kept that piano for say, 10 years. If you bought the 79, you'd likely look for something else after 5. I'd say "Go for it".

+ 1

Yamaha AvantGrand N2.
Sennheiser HD 598 SE - Sennheiser IE 80.
K
K
CA79 all the way Cutec, if you are anything like me the biggest blockage is me and my playing not the instrument. You could end up with disappointment or elation buying either. All appear to have slight issues

Andy

Tyr Offline
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
Buy what you love and want. If you can stretch for an NV5s go for it or you will probably hit by the buyers remorse syndrome.

Kawai: NV5 | Yamaha: CLP-745R
Pianoteq 7 Pro | Garritan CFX Full | Vienna Imperial | Keyscape Full | Ravenscroft 275 - Modern U - Model D - AG | Minigrand | The Oeser
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cutec
Hi all. Looking to upgrade from an es920.
Went to a store and tried a few.
Clp785. Sort of liked it but not wowed. The keys definitely felt heavier than I'm used to. Nice to touch, sound a bit 'thicker' than CA79
CA79, felt more natural to me and easier to play. Could be because I've got used to es920. Sound felt more alive than CLP 785. 79 felt like a sprinter while the 785 was a bit slower like a middle distance runner! Sound on kawai was very good I thought and had a bit more sparkle. Keys were definitely a bit more bouncy. Tried both with headphones, didn't notice a great difference.
Ca99, tried it briefly, didn't think it was any better than CA79. Probably needed more time with it.
NU1X. Kept going back and forth to this one. Sometimes I thought it was good , sometimes thought the Ca79 was better, sound wise. The keys and action felt quality but a bit shallow and notchy.
Nv5s. Out of my budget, probably,. Key action and sound hit the spot I thought. Money no object I buy this
one. Felt more natural soundwise compared to the NU1X.
In summary I'm sure I'd get used to all these pianos at home and think I find a grand action better for me than upright action. However nv5s slightly muddies those waters. I'm now left with 2 choices. CA79 which would do me for several years quite happily or nv5s that would do me several years even happier.
My brain is saying can the NV be £3000 better than a Ca79. I'm struggling to work that one out. Any opinions appreciated.

The difference between the 79 and 99 is amplification: not an issue should you be playing mostly with headphones. Myself, I think that the hybrids are a better upgrade, just overpriced! However, if piano is your only hobby and you can save up over time, I don't see why that's not a good plan: to buy an NV or AG.

In many ways, it could be argued that the digital action is always limited compared to the proper hybrid action. Sound synthesis is likely to continue to improve. Any model you buy is basically therefore just a vehicle to provide amplification and an action (including pedals): as sooner or later, you'll want a VST!

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
Tyr #3182064 01/03/22 10:43 AM
E
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
E
Originally Posted by Tyr
Buy what you love and want. If you can stretch for an NV5s go for it or you will probably hit by the buyers remorse syndrome.

They will anyway, no matter the choice, if they come back to this forum. wink

Kawai ES8, Roland RD2000, Yamaha AG06 mixer, Presonus Eris E5 monitors, Sennheiser HD598SR phones.
C
Cutec Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks. Last question I promise. Is the amplification on the Ca99 worth the extra over the CA79? Have played both a while ago and felt the 79 has a less thick or congested sound. Only played it on low volume so might have explained why 79 sound seemed a bit more alive and less boxy. Also not sure if soundboard is responsible for the buzzing/hissing noises I read about on this forum. Perhaps the 79 would be less problematic?

K
K
@ Cutec ... no ... in one word it is there to supply the soundboard - not to worry as playing both you would not ever need to overblow the volume.

Both have issues of one kind or another. But I have heard nothing of issues with the soundboard - when you played if the 99 sounded muddy then that is the position or situation it was placed.
It is easy to make the sounds congested on any piano by playing too many close notes and most likely not the piano but us lol.

Personal but if I was playing in a very large room/hall I would most likely have gone for the 99 but I play in my dinning room which as you know in the UK is not particularly big 5 mtrs x 6.6 mtr + a thumping semi circular bow window at the end, I felt that the 99 (being up against the wall) would not be right. - I do hope you settle well into your choice matey - as I for one going through this same exercise is rather a tad painful

Andy

Last edited by Killomiter; 01/03/22 01:15 PM.
M
M
The 79 with its enlarged deeper 'box' allows for better sound than its predecessors. (sp) The 99 has a very nice feature. The tactical feedback the soundboard gives. I miss that. One could argue it also has a 'bigger' sound. The NV? I might be careful of a mechanical action which may need attention from time to time. I would also expect the sound, not to be a quantum leap over the 79 or 99. Poosibly identical to the 99.

As others have said. Over time, how much you pay is forgotten. But ... ... ...

Buy what makes you happy. None of us are guaranteed a sunrise.

Last edited by McBuster; 01/03/22 01:44 PM.

Jon ...

Kawai CA67
A Tired, Retired, Dreamer ...
3000 Post Club Member
3000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Cutec
Thanks. Last question I promise. Is the amplification on the Ca99 worth the extra over the CA79? Have played both a while ago and felt the 79 has a less thick or congested sound. Only played it on low volume so might have explained why 79 sound seemed a bit more alive and less boxy. Also not sure if soundboard is responsible for the buzzing/hissing noises I read about on this forum. Perhaps the 79 would be less problematic?

You are your own ears. Compare them. I have made comparisons and felt differently to others, so I'm not confident my assessment would be aligned with yours when you compare yourself.

Instruments......Kawai MP7SE.............................................(Past - Kawai MP7, Yamaha PSR7000)
Software..........Sibelius 7; Neuratron Photoscore Pro 8
Stand...............K&M 18953 Table-style Stage Piano Stand
Piano stool.......K&M 14093 Piano stool
P
P
Nv5s if Ur the type that will buy and always think about the upgrade

Ca79 if Ur the type that is content with what U have.

Everyone is different. I'd go nv5s now...but when I was shopping I would have thought that's out of reach. Selling a high end piano isn't easy.

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
How old do you think this piano is? (from hammer felt wear)
by 88Key_PianoPlayer - 08/10/22 09:20 PM
what might exist (a keyboard view)?
by keystring - 08/10/22 05:49 PM
Petrof with pianodisc
by AndreaH - 08/10/22 03:46 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics214,332
Posts3,215,334
Members106,056
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission