2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
77 members (Anevsky, brennbaer, Belger1900, 8ude, AJB, btcomm, brdwyguy, Baltguy, 23 invisible), 4,468 guests, and 293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#3179334 12/22/21 12:27 PM
I
itsKAT Offline OP
OP Offline
I
Hi fellow creatives, πŸŽΉπŸŽΆπŸ“·πŸ™‚

this is me improvising on the piano.
I hope, you enjoy it.πŸ™‚
I'd love to get any tips on how to improve my skills. Maybe there are some special exercises?

Keep creating.πŸŽΉπŸŽΆπŸ’œ

KAT

(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Originally Posted by itsKAT
[...]I'd love to get any tips on how to improve my skills. Maybe there are some special exercises?

Keep creating.πŸŽΉπŸŽΆπŸ’œ

KAT

I have a few suggestions:

1) Try to develop a "melody" that goes somewhere. Your melody doesn't have any sense of direction.

2) Subdue the left hand unless it is supposed to carry a dominant "melody." In your video snippets, the left hand is too loud and overpowers what is going on in the right hand. Traditionally, the right hand most frequently carries some kind of melody.

3) Relax, physically.

4) Don't pound the piano; you are using too much wasted physical motion in the way you are playing and it comes across as "pounding." This is related to my 3): Relax!

Regards,

Last edited by BruceD; 12/22/21 02:37 PM.

BruceD
- - - - -
Estonia 190
P
1000 Post Club Member
Online Content
1000 Post Club Member
P
I’m not an improvisor but can make some comments as a listener. You might want to learn more about music theory, harmony and progressions. Your two examples sound harmonically static as if you are noodling in the same key with the same repeated phrases. To keep a listener interested you need to tell a musical story that has a theme or melody, and a path. To give your improv direction, you need some harmonic changes that make musical sense.

I noticed your playing has a blurred sound so you may want to experiment with changing the pedal more often. Also you might want to work on producing a more gentle sound. Your hands appear to be slapping the keys, producing a harsh sound. I hope some of the experienced improvisors on this site will give you more helpful feedback.

I listened to your piano improv, and I thought it was pretty good. Thing is, I'm not that good on the piano myself, so it is difficult to give advice to others, when I need advice myself. smile

That said, BruceD and PianogrlNW gives good advice on your playing. You've got good potential and a good personality and some charisma, which always helps. I would suggest to give your improv tune a name. Call it something, anything, but give it a title. It is your improv and your work, your creativity and your performance.

Also, I'd suggest that you keep practicing and try to make your playing smoother and less choppy, unless you're playing some hot boogie-chops. smile

Also, again, and this is just a thought, I would suggest that you NOT ask viewers to subscribe to your YT channel. When you ask for subscribers it is like you soliciting your audience/viewers or trying to sell them something. If they watch your video, and like your playing and your music, that means they like you, and they will subscribe without you having to ask.

Otherwise, keep up the good work!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
T
Ted Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
T
Pleased to hear another free improviser. Although frequently viewed as a poor man’s composition, personal improvisation will profoundly reward you in later life. With the recent advances in high quality, affordable recording devices there is no longer any reason why a recorded improvisation cannot be regarded as an artistic end product. The process is so individual, solipsistic and slow developing that I doubt a universally valid path to it exists. Obviously, the stronger your physical technique, the greater your keyboard vocabulary and the wider your listening, the richer your musical language will become. Therefore to these ends at your age play and listen to everything, many sorts of music, reject as little as possible, don’t judge your own music too stringently to start with and above all enjoy yourself. If you have music in you it will come out sooner or later.

"We shall always love the music of the masters, but they are all dead and now it's our turn." - Llewelyn Jones, my piano teacher
W
W
Well done KAT...Actually like the LH..agree you could tone it down volume wise.
What key is it...maybe work up to the dominant and come back home.
Like your effort though..you will find your gold.
Cheers Mick

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
thumb

β€œTo send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Kawai Novus 10S New owner
by Ron A - 07/05/22 11:33 AM
Kurzweil k2700
by Ivan504 - 07/05/22 11:30 AM
Alan Belkin on musical salience - an aesthetic concept
by indigo_dave - 07/05/22 11:18 AM
Help me change how I think about memorizing
by ShiroKuro - 07/05/22 11:05 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,815
Posts3,205,583
Members105,725
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission