2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
39 members (Braathen, David B, CraiginNZ, axomas, 80k, 12 invisible), 708 guests, and 267 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Thanks!
(didn't know about that despite being on here for 2000 years)

2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Mark_C
Thanks!
(didn't know about that despite being on here for 2000 years)

ha ha ha ha ha

SRF
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
Taking drugs I mean medicine is not the solution to the problem it's just about run away from the problem

A
A
I once read a nice explanation of it: our physical reaction to the stress of performance comes from the body's "flight or flight" response to danger. The trick is to convince oneself there is no actual danger in the situation.

Yesterday I performed Jeux d'eau in a music salon with 15 or so attendees. I wasn't fully prepared- I hadn't played the piece in 12 years and attempted to bring it back in a few days, and it was a disaster. One of the most humiliating performances of my life. Wrong notes everywhere in places I thought I had mastered, doubts every other second, half-bars and whole bars skipped to save unsavable situations. But strangely enough, life went on. The sun went down and then up again this morning. People forgot it. Or maybe they didn't. But the session continued, there was good music that followed, I kept moderating, and I would like to think that it's about the music and not about me, that this one performance will not make people dismiss me or disrespect me forever. I apologized for the trainwreck (that killed no one) and recommended a good performance where people can listen to the "real" piece. True, this was no concert stage and the stakes were lower, but overall it was just a humbling reminder that it takes so much more to be able to share a piece with an audience, that if part of one thinks it can't be that easy, that one hasn't done enough preparation, then it's true. (I got so used to accompanying and playing from scores and forgot that performing demanding solo works requires a much more rigorous process).

One of my best friends in grad school was a wonderful pianist from Taiwan, and she always felt that there was something essentially narcissistic about being nervous. Getting nervous comes either from not being prepared or from the fear of making a bad impression, and performing is not about making an impression, she felt. You just have a message, and the more filled you are with the message you are there to share and with its importance, the less room there is for fear.

"Love has to be the starting point- love of music. It is one of my firmest convictions that love always produces some knowledge, while knowledge only rarely produces something similar to love."
Arthur Schnabel

R
R
Having some wine is a perfect excuse for me to not play when asked to play.

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member

Unobtanium Supporter until Jun 020 2020
3000 Post Club Member
Yes, but only after receiving informed advice and a prescription from my primary care physician. For me, it helps, though whether that's the propranolol or a placebo effect, I neither know nor care. YMMV, of course.

I wouldn't recommend taking any medication without first fully discussing it with a good doctor.

[Linked Image]

"One has to accept that to be human is to be fallible, and then do the best one can and be captured by the music."

-- Gyorgy Sebok
W
wr Offline
9000 Post Club Member
9000 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Ainar
I once read a nice explanation of it: our physical reaction to the stress of performance comes from the body's "flight or flight" response to danger. The trick is to convince oneself there is no actual danger in the situation.

That makes sense. But what explains having a similar response when recording at home while alone? Many people here over the years have mentioned that problem, even though there is obviously no danger.

J
jdw Offline
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
J
Originally Posted by rubinsteinway
Having some wine is a perfect excuse for me to not play when asked to play.
Gee, I use i as an excuse for the mistakes I'll make. (You don't actually need an excuse for either one of these, but wine is good for a lot of things.)

1989 Baldwin R
Originally Posted by wr
Originally Posted by Ainar
I once read a nice explanation of it: our physical reaction to the stress of performance comes from the body's "flight or flight" response to danger. The trick is to convince oneself there is no actual danger in the situation
That makes sense. But what explains having a similar response when recording at home while alone? Many people here over the years have mentioned that problem, even though there is obviously no danger.
One can be afraid one will not like the result even if no one else listens to the recording.

T
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
T
Beta blockers don't enhance performance. They block nerves. So it if sounded like dookie at home it will still sound like dookie on the stage. Does NOT enhance anything.

Page 6 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Brendan, Kreisler 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Haessler
by PianistEsq - 07/06/22 12:05 AM
Garritan CFX sustain problem
by mwf - 07/05/22 11:29 PM
First digital piano for my almost 6 year-old son.
by New2music - 07/05/22 10:54 PM
What Level is this Arrangement?
by showard - 07/05/22 09:36 PM
which piano? or other options?
by NJ_Piano_Mom - 07/05/22 08:27 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,823
Posts3,205,751
Members105,732
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission