2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
32 members (80k, Burkhard, busa, Carey, CraiginNZ, Bebe1980, Deltajockey, David B, 5 invisible), 4,617 guests, and 743 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 43 of 46 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 46
Originally Posted by Lx20
I believe I am in week 27. It seems to take a month or so to get through a song. There is one more song in this "week" of lesson, so ...

Well done!

I still have a long way to go to get there. I have just gone back from the 17th to the 15th because I didn't remember basic things.
I was wondering what there would be beyond the 17th lesson. Now you have given me a pointer.

Thanks for sharing.

Last edited by Sol Finker; 11/14/21 01:56 PM.

Jaime CLP-645 frown
[Linked Image][Linked Image]
(ad)
Piano & Music Accessories
piano accessories music gifts tuning and moving equipment
L
L
Sol Finker!

Keep up the good work. Also, before going back lessons (that you may have already completed), you might want to check out this thread. David B has done a good job of posting his progress when he was going through this course. Sometimes if you don't remember a style or have difficulty figuring out what Duane is doing, it might help to see how we have attacked it. That's why this thread is a good resource. I forgot what lessons I started posting here (I do have progress from Lesson 17 onward, but may not have posted). I rewatched my Lesson 17 (and linked it to David's - I think on the page before this). That lesson is definitely a doozy but so rewarding once you make progress with it. Even looking back, there are things I could now do better. So, with that said, keep on with the course! Best of luck! And if you have any questions, ask them in the thread. I'm happy it's still an active one!

Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
Silver Subscriber
1000 Post Club Member
thumb

I believe I am in week 27. It seems to take a month or so to get through a song. There is one more song in this "week" of lesson, so ...

Anyway, this is the first one. "Merry Widow Waltz." At first, I tried it, Duane made it so "open" - it was more a here's a song, and you can do this, this and this. At first, it was overwhelming and I just wanted to skip ... but I am glad I stuck with it. Part of the frustration were different types of stylings he wanted us to try. I am glad I got to incorporate some things I may have skipped over in some of the prior songs/lessons. I got to try a new style (straddle) and then continue building/practicing with elements I have already worked with. It was definitely tough - brain and fingers at first did not want to cooperate. But working some things out slowly, using metronome, speeding things up - I think it came out pretty okay. Perfect - no. But good enough for me to document and move on. I want to try a Christmas song or two. Glad I stuck with the "Merry Widow Waltz" - attempted it at a faster speed (than the last waltz). Definitely learned and got more experience on a few things, now it is time to move on!

One big aha from this lesson - tension and release!

“To send light into the darkness of men’s hearts - such is the duty of the artist.”
- Robert Schumann

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Quick heads up.

Duane Shinn has a 30% off sale for 30 hours. Expires Nov 30 at 3pm PST (GMT -8)

Use coupon code 30off

There are hundreds of lessons/courses, the most popular is our 52 Week Crash Course:

(DVD) https://playpiano.com/product/1-year-crash-course-dvd-1-52

(Digital) https://playpiano.com/product/1-year-crash-course-dvd-1-52-digital

(All courses) https://playpiano.com/store

Last edited by WBLynch; 11/29/21 02:56 PM.

-Bill L. - former tuner-technician
L
L
Thanks. I just ordered a couple of (easier) courses.

D
D
Back after an 8 month absence. Got too wound up in a golf resurgence and the piano was neglected, at least, serious practice was neglected. Been back at it for a couple of months so restarted at Lesson 9, having forgotten where I left off, and am now at 10. I continue to work each Lesson with a minimum of 24 complete practice sessions. So many tips Duane included just sort of slip by, but on this restart I am refocusing on the tip to work on one thing at a time. In playing Supplementary pieces from those lessons, one day my focus is the swing bass, another session it’s the RH octaves, then maybe octave thirds. Another day it might be the triplets.

One bright spot is that I found a score of Whispering Hope, a piece Duane actually played completely even though to Modern Piano books only have half of the verse. I was able to fairly quickly learn the second half of the piece and play it with swing bass and octave thirds, with a couple of cascading triplets. Definitely more than I accomplished on prior attempts at the course.

In Lessons 9 and 10 Duane gave a preview of a lot of things to come and suggested starting to work them into one’s skill building, but to what extent? I find myself working on all or most of the arranging techniques he showed as previews because I don’t really see guidance on which ones are the core skills in the lesson to master versus which ones are the skills to try, but which are really more for subsequent lessons. One certainty about Duane’s 52 week course is that there is infinite flexibility in how to approach it.

I also am working through a more classical approach found in www.key-notes.com, a site on which classical pianist Albert Frantz is the designer, programmer and teacher. I don’t see classical versus melody and chord as an either or. After all, all music is built on the same basic structure of melodies and chords; they are just presented differently in the way they are taught and many of Duane’s arranging embellishments are built into the score of classical pieces. Just finished memorizing the Minuet in G, attributed to Bach but actually composed by Petzold, per Mr. Frantz.

It’s good to be back. I enjoyed reading all the notes since I last posted and look forward to more regular attendance.

Merry Christmas, All!

John F
Pramberger 5'9" small grand
Roland HP 605
Duane Shinn 52 Week Crash Course for popular music
Also venture into Alfred’s Adult All in One, and in Laughlin’s New School of American Music
key-notes.com for classical music
D
D
For those who were relative beginners in starting the 52 week Crash Course, how far into the course did it take you to get for you to develop the keyboard awareness to play swing base left hand without having to look or feel for the root and the chords? I'm thinking more in terms of how many weeks/months, even years, not how many lessons. Since I am older, 73 is just around the corner, I know it will take me longer, but it's nice to have a rough idea.
Thanks

John F
Roland HP 605
Also venture into Alfred’s Adult All in One, and in Laughlin’s New School of American Music
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Another 30% off sale. Until 3pm PST Dec 14, 2021. Use coupon code 30off

https://playpiano.us4.list-manage.c...f42a5&id=cb058a2dfd&e=cc3aa4794b

Originally Posted by Docc
For those who were relative beginners in starting the 52 week Crash Course, how far into the course did it take you to get for you to develop the keyboard awareness to play swing base left hand without having to look or feel for the root and the chords? I'm thinking more in terms of how many weeks/months, even years, not how many lessons. Since I am older, 73 is just around the corner, I know it will take me longer, but it's nice to have a rough idea.
Thanks
I guess it depends on the approach you take and what you consider "awareness without having to look". You can take a perfectionist way not moving on until lessons are under control. I'm taken quite a different approach in order not to get sick and tired of the lesson. This is why I am now on the 18th far from mastering the 17th. That's my way of not being stuck and remain six months in the same lesson.
Good luck and happy December.

Jaime CLP-645 frown
Originally Posted by WBLynch
Another 30% off sale. Until 3pm PST Dec 14, 2021. Use coupon code 30off

https://playpiano.us4.list-manage.c...f42a5&id=cb058a2dfd&e=cc3aa4794b
I'm still on lesson 18th and I guess I have a lot of fun down the road - a couple of years to say the least.
But, the same way I am learning classical I could take a look at another courses by DS - or just invest in them for the future.
Pro Piano Playing Secrets! $599 looks promising but is way too expensive for the time being and my current learning state.
ALL the Praise & Gospel Piano Video Courses! $249 is less expensive but it might be too advanced even though it has eight hours of video course and I guess a lot of interesting stuff.
Chord Progressions & The Riffs & Runs That Flow Out Of Them! with Six audio CDs $197 and a book might be a different approach and a parallel road to learn new things. And totally affordable.
So what do you suggest?

Happy December - and Xmas to come.

Jaime CLP-645 frown
W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Discount code correction: 30off2

D
D
Sol,

I am definitely not in perfectionist category. It seems to me there are two extremes:

1. Play the lesson as written and play it well three or five or whatever number of times, then move on. Has anyone done this and moved through the whole course?

2. Play each piece in the lesson using all the techniques Duane has introduced up to that time, and be able to play each piece well, not necessarily perfect, several times before moving on. For example, in lesson 9 or 10 Duane demonstrates LH swing bass, LH rolling bass, LH alternating bass note swing bass. In the RH he adds echo, octave thirds, octave sixths, 2:1 breakups, and maybe one or two others. Has anyone done this, especially those who have written it took them three years to finish the course.

In between those is a wide range of permutations and combinations. For example, one could limit one’s arranging to just the root.chord.chord swing bass technique in the LH, and move on when comfortable. Or one could add one LH and one RH technique, and so on. I guess my question is what have people who have advanced well into the course found to work best when they were getting started? Play what’s on the page? Add a technique here and there?

Regarding awareness without having to look, to play fluidly one’s hands need to play the right key combinations. It doesn’t work well to be looking up at the music, then down at the keys, up, down, up, down. It seems it is either memorize a limited number of songs and play them, or read the music but have adequate piano proprioception to not have to play bobble head doll. I think I lean toward play from the music since it gives such a broader repertoire.

John F
Roland HP 605
1. Play the lesson as written and play it well three or five or whatever number of times, then move on. Has anyone done this and moved through the whole course?
Playing the lesson as written is not the aim of the course, and it's probably useless.
2. Play each piece in the lesson using all the techniques Duane has introduced up to that time, and be able to play each piece well, not necessarily perfect, several times before moving on. For example, in lesson 9 or 10 Duane demonstrates LH swing bass, LH rolling bass, LH alternating bass note swing bass. In the RH he adds echo, octave thirds, octave sixths, 2:1 breakups, and maybe one or two others. Has anyone done this, especially those who have written it took them three years to finish the course.
I'm just a beginner so this is not my case. I'm just trying not to get stuck on one lesson. That's why I move forward and after a couple of weeks I go back to revise previous lessons.
In between those is a wide range of permutations and combinations. For example, one could limit one’s arranging to just the root.chord.chord swing bass technique in the LH, and move on when comfortable. Or one could add one LH and one RH technique, and so on. I guess my question is what have people who have advanced well into the course found to work best when they were getting started? Play what’s on the page? Add a technique here and there?

I find the most difficult to apply the newly learned techniques to both hands at the same time. But eventually, good practice will pay off.

Have a nice December.

Jaime CLP-645 frown
L
L
I'll chime in a little to the conversation.

In terms of the lessons, you probably want to play them as written - just so that you are used to sight reading. Playing a score as it is written. Duane will mention that you can keep the good parts of an arrangement and then spice up the parts where you think could be better. It's also a good idea to get a feel for the song. Learning the melody, timing, etc. it usually is a simple version, so it doesn't take too much. But as Sol mentioned, it's not the goal of the course.

In terms of the arranging of a song. I will normally take in whatever Duane says to try. In some lessons he will show multiple styles. It will be futile to try them all - unless you are ambitious. Normally, I try to apply what he mentions; however, as I practice more, I may prefer to do certain things - so that will change it up. Right now it's trying these techniques but also knowing what I might be capable of. If there is a harder technique to try, I have to think about how much willpower I have and what is comfortable, how much am I willing to invest in the "week" (which lately is a month ... lol).

As cliche as it sounds, it really is about enjoying the process. If you give yourself a time frame or certain repetitions, you might burn yourself out. You definitely don't want to spend forever on a week, so it is important to find your balance. If Duane presents a lot of techniques, you might just want to focus on one or two (at a time or even for that whole piece). Lots of the techniques are applied to future songs anyway. I'm just saying that as I normally have burned myself out when I set limits or timeframes for myself.

It definitely is neat that there are some of us doing the course. I wish you all happy practicing and perseverance!

Does anybody know whether there is the possibility or not of receiving the books included in the digital versions of the courses in pdf format?

I have mailed Bev and Muriel with no answer whatsoever.
I had a customs issue and I'd rather receive the digital versions.

Jaime CLP-645 frown
Originally Posted by Sol Finker

Does anybody know whether there is the possibility or not of receiving the books included in the digital versions of the courses in pdf format?

I have mailed Bev and Muriel with no answer whatsoever.
I had a customs issue and I'd rather receive the digital versions.
Well, they have answered me in a couple of minutes since the post here.
And no, the books I wanted are not available in pdf format.

Thank you and Merry Xmas.

Jaime CLP-645 frown
L
L
Sol Finker - I am glad you were able to get a response. But yes, those digital ones can be interesting - especially the bigger packs/courses. Some aspects are physical while some are digital.

L
L
Anyway, here's my latest progress. I feel like I have been sitting on this one for awhile, not wanting to record. But I think I'm ready to move on - it ain't perfect .... but good enough for me to record my progress and move on. It has the phrase "Santa" - although not a Christmas one ... "Santa Lucia"

W
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
W
Originally Posted by Sol Finker
Well, they have answered me in a couple of minutes since the post here.
And no, the books I wanted are not available in pdf format.

Thank you and Merry Xmas.
Hi Sol Finker. I sent you a private message. Look at it when you get a chance.

Sol Finker - I am glad you were able to get a response. But yes, those digital ones can be interesting - especially the bigger packs/courses. Some aspects are physical while some are digital.
The only one totally digitalized is the ALL the Praise & Gospel and I think is a trifle early for me to tackle.
The books I wanted were the 96-page book of progressions included in the course Chord Progressions and the seven workbooks included in the course How To Improvise.

I have to decide which of the courses to order and pay the extra 40$ customs usually charge for goods coming from US.

Merry Xmas.

Jaime CLP-645 frown
Page 43 of 46 1 2 41 42 43 44 45 46

Link Copied to Clipboard
Happy 4th!
Happy 4th of July
Happy 4th!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chord help
by Moo :) - 07/05/22 02:18 AM
Yamaha U3 or equivalent upright
by Tom Ryshka - 07/05/22 01:35 AM
A comparison of two very different pianos!
by Joseph Fleetwood - 07/04/22 02:17 PM
Home Studio Recordings on Bosendorfer 225
by James Gordon - 07/04/22 01:39 PM
Looking for good online piano course for beginner
by mwsheeler - 07/04/22 12:12 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,804
Posts3,205,429
Members105,714
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission