2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
40 members (Burkhard, David B, Carey, 80k, Bett, Calavera, Abdol, 9 invisible), 4,589 guests, and 645 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
8000 Post Club Member

8000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Wow. How old is this tech?

hehehe

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by ScrubNinja
He said that with the composite parts meeting with wood parts, he foresees them separating at some point and requiring some special gluing or something down the road, and also not allowing the action to "breathe" like in a traditional. And he said it also limits the number of technicians who are confident in working with those types of actions.
I find this hard to believe. There has been plenty of discussion on PW about both Kawai and Shigeru Kawai and this has never been mentioned. And the Kawai part composite actions have been around for a long time.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by terminaldegree
Wow. How old is this tech?
Haha not sure exactly, maybe 40's but he's been a tech for almost 20 years.

S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by pianoloverus
He said that with the composite parts meeting with wood parts, he foresees them separating at some point and requiring some special gluing or something down the road, and also not allowing the action to "breathe" like in a traditional. And he said it also limits the number of technicians who are confident in working with those types of actions.
I find this hard to believe. There has been plenty of discussion on PW about both Kawai and Shigeru Kawai and this has never been mentioned. And the Kawai part composite actions have been around for a long time.
Yeah I was surprised to hear his concerns, but like I said I think it was mostly conjecture.

8000 Post Club Member

8000 Post Club Member
I can't speak for everyone, but my understanding is that composite action parts are good, reliable and stable. Kawai and WNG both.

Some old dogs don't like to learn new tricks.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I just got the report from the tech I hired to evaluate my options and he had good things to say about it, though he also gave me some things to think about when it comes to servicing the non-wood parts of the action in the Shigeru's.

If you would like to talk to my tech, let me know. He's very good and I think he mentioned that at one point he was doing work for Kawai, servicing the Shigeru Kawais in the area. He is super cautious and would definitely let you know if he thinks you would encounter any issues.

I'm very surprised that the tech you hired thinks that there could be issues with Kawai's composite parts, especially due to glue failure?! That seems like an odd concern.

Also, if you think the treble of the Falcone is too bright, Portland Piano would voice it to your taste. I wouldn't buy a piano hoping to make it into the piano you want, though. I made that mistake and am living through a very long saga of having work done on my piano. Since you're an accomplished pianist, I really believe that when you find the right piano, you'll just know!

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
It just occurred to me, was the tech you hired from Artisan Pianos? They are basically partnered with Classic (a Yamaha dealer) so if your tech is from there, he has a bias.

twocats #3176680 12/10/21 10:26 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Originally Posted by twocats
It just occurred to me, was the tech you hired from Artisan Pianos? They are basically partnered with Classic (a Yamaha dealer) so if your tech is from there, he has a bias.

Oh jeez haha. Well then that explains it! Regardless, he did give me good information otherwise.

And thanks for the kind sentiment Twocats! I appreciate your faith in my ability to recognize "the one."

Do you think it would be an unreasonable request to ask the dealer if I could order the SK-7, and in the meantime do a trial period/rent-to-own situation of the SK-6 until the SK-7 arrives, then apply those funds to the piano I end up choosing? They did offer before to put both pianos in my home and make a decision then.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
I would definitely recommend that you hire a different tech to inspect any other used piano that you want to get checked out. You want someone who's 100% working in your interest. It was unethical of him to try to steer you toward a Yamaha. You can look on ptg.org for a Registered Piano Technician, or if you'd like, I can send you my tech's info.

Do you think it would be an unreasonable request to ask the dealer if I could order the SK-7, and in the meantime do a trial period/rent-to-own situation of the SK-6 until the SK-7 arrives, then apply those funds to the piano I end up choosing? They did offer before to put both pianos in my home and make a decision then.

You could always ask! I don't think they would do rent-to-own because then it would be considered a used piano that has depreciated. But if they could somehow arrange to let you trial the SK6 without it becoming a used piano in the process, they might do it. If they did this, they would be guaranteed to make a sale, so I think they would be motivated to work something out!

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022
Online Content

Just curious - what are your concerns about the Falcone? It is almost as large as an SK-7 and a lot more affordable.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
S
OP Offline
S
Quite honestly, my concerns lie more in just the uncertainty of making a final decision. I'll have a better idea once I play it again, but I also was in love with the SK-3 pyramid mahogany, so I just feel a little conflicted.

And Twocats thanks for the offer for giving me your tech's info. If I need another evaluation down there I will definitely take you up on that.

S
OP Offline
S
The other part of it is just choosing between purchasing used vs. new.

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
The other part of it is just choosing between purchasing used vs. new.

To me it doesn't seem you are anywhere near choosing a piano with multiple models in mind and also not having decided between new and used. Perhaps just keep playing every piano you can find until your thoughts crystallize a bit?

Carey #3177156 12/13/21 02:47 AM
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
ScrubNinja, did you get to check out some pianos in Portland this weekend? smile

Originally Posted by Carey
Just curious - what are your concerns about the Falcone? It is almost as large as an SK-7 and a lot more affordable.

Carey, from having played that Falcone it's obvious that it's an almost 30 year old piano that's gotten a good amount of use. The action has wear, and to me the upper treble could cut glass. It's still a nice piano, but it's not like buying new, especially when the contender is a Shigeru Kawai.

Last edited by twocats; 12/13/21 02:55 AM.

twocats #3177167 12/13/21 04:19 AM
S
OP Offline
S
ScrubNinja, did you get to check out some pianos in Portland this weekend? smile

Carey, from having played that Falcone it's obvious that it's an almost 30 year old piano that's gotten a good amount of use. The action has wear, and to me the upper treble could cut glass. It's still a nice piano, but it's not like buying new, especially when the contender is a Shigeru Kawai.

I did! Though we got there much later than I wanted to because the weather and traffic was so bad and I spent my entire time at PPC. They had some new pianos in so I spent about 5 hours playing those and replaying the Falcone and Shigeru’s, but I also fell in love with a 2000 S&S model B. It literally made me cry when I played it. I guess the original owners didn’t play piano so they had a player system installed and only used it a couple times a year, but maintained it very well. The dealer removed the QRS system when it got to them.

I’m off tomorrow and am going to check out the rest of the dealers near me I haven’t made it to yet so another full day of playing!

Twocats and Cassia: while the Falcone is bright at the top and the action is a bit worn, do you think it’s a wise investment or should I just move on? It’s right at the cusp of being too old but still would be fine with regular maintenance, and it’s a good price.

S
OP Offline
S
And oddly, I played the SK-6 again, and just like the first time, I was completely underwhelmed by it. For one it was out of tune so it was not prepped well, but I also don’t know if it was just the placement in the store or something because the SK-3 still sounded and felt more satisfying for some reason.

C
C

I did! Though we got there much later than I wanted to because the weather and traffic was so bad and I spent my entire time at PPC. They had some new pianos in so I spent about 5 hours playing those and replaying the Falcone and Shigeru’s, but I also fell in love with a 2000 S&S model B. It literally made me cry when I played it. I guess the original owners didn’t play piano so they had a player system installed and only used it a couple times a year, but maintained it very well. The dealer removed the QRS system when it got to them.

I’m off tomorrow and am going to check out the rest of the dealers near me I haven’t made it to yet so another full day of playing!

Twocats and Cassia: while the Falcone is bright at the top and the action is a bit worn, do you think it’s a wise investment or should I just move on? It’s right at the cusp of being too old but still would be fine with regular maintenance, and it’s a good price.

I remember liking the Falcone, but don't remember much beyond that. If you like the way it sounds and plays, and a good tech gives it the green light, it could be very well worth it. It's likely a piano that would be worth extra investment down the road if you intend it to be your forever piano. If this piano is a step to your next piano, it may not be such a good buy just because it will need work some point in the not-too-distant future, and it may be difficult to sell down the road just because it doesn't have the name recognition of a Kawai or Steinway.

Is the B in your price range? If it is, it sounds like that is your piano.

Yamaha C2X

Online Content

[quote=twocats] Carey, from having played that Falcone it's obvious that it's an almost 30 year old piano that's gotten a good amount of use. The action has wear, and to me the upper treble could cut glass. It's still a nice piano, but it's not like buying new, especially when the contender is a Shigeru Kawai.
Given your description, the Falcone may be a tad overpriced.

That B sounds promising !! Have fun tomorrow.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
S
OP Offline
S
Yeah at this point I think I’m going to rule out the Falcone. While I love it and hope it finds a good home, I don’t think I’m ready for a piano that’s going to need a lot of work and don’t want to pay more than $20k.

And the model B is in my price range. It’s less expensive than the SK-3 I have on reserve. I asked if they would go down more because it has scuffing on the fall board and because of the former QRS system.

Thanks Carey!

K
kre Offline
K
If you loved the B, that makes it obvious choice!

My Shigeru SK-7 action does not have a single place where wood part is glued directly to ABS carbon. Maybe I'm missing something here? The action itself is as good as they get, and probably is more stable and has longer lifetime than wooden action.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
Happy 4th!
Happy 4th of July
Happy 4th!
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Chord help
by Moo :) - 07/05/22 02:18 AM
Yamaha U3 or equivalent upright
by Tom Ryshka - 07/05/22 01:35 AM
A comparison of two very different pianos!
by Joseph Fleetwood - 07/04/22 02:17 PM
Home Studio Recordings on Bosendorfer 225
by James Gordon - 07/04/22 01:39 PM
Looking for good online piano course for beginner
by mwsheeler - 07/04/22 12:12 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!
FREE June Newsletter is Here!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
-------------------
Music Store Going Out of Business Sale!
---------------------
Mr. PianoWorld's Original Composition
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,804
Posts3,205,429
Members105,714
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission