2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
60 members (AlkansBookcase, brdwyguy, 20/20 Vision, Charles Cohen, 36251, benkeys, clothearednincompo, bcalvanese, booms, 7 invisible), 1,903 guests, and 253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
Usually new piano purchases are discounted about 30% off rrp. If they offer you 100% trade in on a piano that is obviously not worth as much any more (due to new/used depreciation), do they refuse the 30% off to compensate?

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Originally Posted by ScrubNinja
In regards to the Falcone being difficult to resell, my plan is to take advantage of the 100% trade up value through Portland Piano Company when I’m ready for a newer piano. Unless there’s something in the fine print that would make that less appealing I suppose.

If you're definitely getting your upgrade from Portland Piano and are set on a Shigeru Kawai, that could work! But it does limit you if you find your upgrade elsewhere.

Also, it limits your negotiating power when buying your upgrade.

Last edited by twocats; 12/10/21 01:12 AM.

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
S
OP Offline
S
Sonepica-That’s a great question. I’ll have to check with the dealer when I stop in this weekend. I wouldn’t think so just because what they’re offering me for my trade in on top of the discount but I’m not entirely sure.

Twocats- that is very true. I do wish this process was simpler and not full of so many nuances haha. Hence being on the forum and seeking advice from lovely pianists such as yourself! 😄

C
C
I think the SF 10 at Pianos Now has been sold. It was a nice piano, but Two Cats was definitely more enamored of it than I was. The AF at Michelle's is wonderful. If I had the money, that piano would be mine. Classic Pianos in Portland had a Schimmel 208 that I think they just sold, but if not, might be another one worth checking out (I was seriously considering that one to the point it was in my living room for a few weeks. It has a very clean, pure sound). They also have a Yamaha C5. And a Tadashi - it's a largely unknown brand, but do yourself a favor and play that one if you do make a visit. It'll probably surprise you in a very pleasant way.

S
OP Offline
S
Which AF were you looking at ? The polished or satin ebony? And the Tadashi does sound intriguing after reading about it. Though I do need to look past the color of the wood as it does not quite fit my living room. 😄

Carey #3176419 12/10/21 03:32 AM
M
M
Originally Posted by Carey
I’m unsure if I should just bite the bullet and by a brand new piano or give the 1993 Falcone a chance then trade up in a few years. Im having them all looked over by a technician.
Just curious - is the 7'4" 1993 American built Falcone the one being sold by the Portland Piano Company?

Apparently yes

The program of training me as a musician: https://musescore.com/courses/piano
T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Which AF were you looking at ? The polished or satin ebony? And the Tadashi does sound intriguing after reading about it. Though I do need to look past the color of the wood as it does not quite fit my living room. 😄

It was the polished that Cassia loved. I remember because there was wear on the finish that they assured would get polished up before delivery.

Regarding the SF10, sounds like you should give Pianos Now a call to check if it's still for sale. They may try to convince you to come in to look at their other pianos but I don't think it's worth the trip (especially since you have limited time), as most of their pianos are quite old.

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
twocats #3176565 12/10/21 03:29 PM
S
OP Offline
S
It says online the SF10 is still available, but I will call and double-check since it is out of the way. It looks like Michelle's Pianos had an SF10 also, but it's now sold. There is a 1997 Bosendorfer 225 for sale in my area by an individual and it looks gorgeous, and the asking price is very reasonable, but it's out of my range without financing unfortunately.

C
C
Yes, definitely call about the SF 10. I can't remember why I'm under the impression it sold, but I might be totally wrong. If it's still available, it is worth checking out. But like twocats said, it's probably the only piano there that's worth a visit. Keep us posted!

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
I'm normally in the camp that says "don't buy without trying," but with the pandemic...

If you really want an SK-7, I think Kawai has a reputation for consistency, and also for resolving customer problems, not to mention you get a visit from a master technician once it's settled in your home. IMO, that would make it relatively low risk.

But, as Sonepica pointed out, it could be worth a trip somewhere to try in person if you're up for traveling.

Search US techs by Zip Code
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

K
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
K
Dear SN:
If that's a REAL Falcone piano, made in Haverhill, MA, very few other pianos are likely to equal it.
A careful regulation by a top tech will certainly reveal its secrets.
Karl Watson,
Staten Island, NY

twocats #3176599 12/10/21 05:49 PM

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by twocats
I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of the Baldwin!

Me too!

FWIW, in the Piano Book (4th ed. '02) Larry Fine singled the SF-10 out from Baldwin's other grands* to include in the "Highest quality performance pianos" group, along with Steinway, M&H, and several European brands (e.g. Bösendorfer, Fazioli, Grotrian, etc). These all received 5 stars for performance.

(*The smaller Artist models are in the next category, "High-performance pianos," with 'only' 4.5 stars, along with Shigeru Kawai, Yamaha S, etc).

That serial number puts it mid-80s, when there were some known quality control issues, so if it speaks to you, it would be worth having a 3rd party technician look it over for you. A good shop shouldn't mind an inspection.

C
C
Originally Posted by Karl Watson
Dear SN:
If that's a REAL Falcone piano, made in Haverhill, MA...

It is!

S
OP Offline
S
Yes, the Falcone is an original from MA and is a great find in great condition.
I just got the report from the tech I hired to evaluate my options and he had good things to say about it, though he also gave me some things to think about when it comes to servicing the non-wood parts of the action in the Shigeru's.
He recommended if I were to go with a new Japanese piano, then he recommended Yamaha just because of the all-wood components.

I also find myself falling into the advertising trap of S&S by contemplating a new Boston so I can trade up to a Model B eventually, but I am sure that is not necessarily the wisest course of action.

M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
Interesting about the action. I assume that the wooden actions are easier to fix or improve. But might the composite ones be more durable?

G
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
G
Yes, the Falcone is an original from MA and is a great find in great condition.
I just got the report from the tech I hired to evaluate my options and he had good things to say about it, though he also gave me some things to think about when it comes to servicing the non-wood parts of the action in the Shigeru's.
He recommended if I were to go with a new Japanese piano, then he recommended Yamaha just because of the all-wood components.

I also find myself falling into the advertising trap of S&S by contemplating a new Boston so I can trade up to a Model B eventually, but I am sure that is not necessarily the wisest course of action.

I would be interested to hear just which non-wood parts in the modern Kawai you think are likely to require servicing of any sort at all?

S
OP Offline
S
He said that with the composite parts meeting with wood parts, he foresees them separating at some point and requiring some special gluing or something down the road, and also not allowing the action to "breathe" like in a traditional. And he said it also limits the number of technicians who are confident in working with those types of actions.

S
OP Offline
S
It's mostly conjecture I think just because the Millennium III action is still a relatively new technology, but it certainly does not dissuade me from considering Shigeru, it's just something else to consider. They are gorgeous instruments.

7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Wow. How old is this tech?

Pianist, teacher, occasional technician, internet addict.
Piano Review Editor - Acoustic and Digital Piano Buyer
Please visit my YouTube Channel

9000 Post Club Member

9000 Post Club Member
It's mostly conjecture I think just because the Millennium III action is still a relatively new technology

I think the Millennium III action has been in production for nearly 20 years.

And Kawai has been working with alternative materials since the 1970s.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Recommended Songs for Beginners
by FreddyM - 04/16/24 03:20 PM
New DP for a 10 year old
by peelaaa - 04/16/24 02:47 PM
Estonia 1990
by Iberia - 04/16/24 11:01 AM
Very Cheap Piano?
by Tweedpipe - 04/16/24 10:13 AM
Practical Meaning of SMP
by rneedle - 04/16/24 09:57 AM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,392
Posts3,349,293
Members111,634
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission