2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Who's Online Now
65 members (Animisha, Barly, bobrunyan, brennbaer, 1200s, 36251, benkeys, 20/20 Vision, 10 invisible), 1,865 guests, and 318 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
#3176304 12/09/21 04:49 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Hello,

I’m a new member here, but would love some input on my current piano hunt.

After extensive searching I’m debating between a 7’4” Falcone for a good deal, or a brand new Shigeru SK-3 in pyramid mahogany, or a SK-6. I ultimately want an SK-7 but there are none available on my side of the coast. I’ve debated just ordering one without playing but that’s too much risk and it wouldn’t get here until probably May next year.

I’m unsure if I should just bite the bullet and by a brand new piano or give the 1993 Falcone a chance then trade up in a few years. Im having them all looked over by a technician.

A brief background: I’m classically trained and got my degree in piano performance/composition. Thanks everyone!

I had played that limited edition SK-3 sometime ago and it is my only colour choice besides black which I liked. Such a beauty. Lovely mellow tone. I recalled i was told it is about 3x the price of the standard ones.
SK-3

According to much reading here, you'll very likely advised not to get piano which you didn' try.

Sharing a short story. A while ago, my teacher upgraded her grand. After testing many piano at different showrooms, She tired a particular brand and model at this showroom. She liked it but wanted it in white which there isn't one for her. She ordered and got her piano after weeks.
Does she likes it? No. Does she love it? Yes.

PS: My teacher is a very advanced pianist with over 20 years of teaching experience. Still actively being one of the judges of many local and overseas competitions. A former piano books author.

If you settled for any piano except your ultimate choice (SK-7), would you possibly (after a while) miss it and regret not getting it at the first place?

Personally, I do not like the idea of getting something for now and upgrade it later especially I have the budget and choices.

When someone tell you they found their dream piano, he could have tried a handful of pianos and only out of those, that is the best. If he continued to hunt, a newer dream piano would probably appear. That's no real end to it.

Good luck and sorry if im not helpful. Let us know your final decision.

Last edited by Jojovan; 12/09/21 05:52 PM.

Subcribe my youtube channel for incoming LIVE piano with Vocal.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCfZgIIQ_P_iHfdHlQCF9tqA

God bless you and take care
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Online Content
It seems to me the SK-6 is by far the closest to your ultimate piano. In fact, I think many would not find that much difference between an SK-6 and SK-7.

Jojovan #3176336 12/09/21 07:07 PM
Online Content
Originally Posted by Jojovan
I had played that limited edition SK-3 sometime ago and it is my only colour choice besides black which I liked. Such a beauty. Lovely mellow tone. I recalled i was told it is about 3x the price of the standard ones.
SK-3
According to the pricing in the Piano Buyer, the cost of the pyramid mahogany version should be about 30% more than the ebony model.

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
Originally Posted by Jojovan
SK-3
According to the pricing in the Piano Buyer, the cost of the pyramid mahogany version should be about 30% more than the ebony model.

My bad, I checked (I app my playing and price to my teacher after I asked the Agent) that it was about USD 58.6k ++ that time).

Last edited by Jojovan; 12/09/21 07:26 PM.

Subcribe my youtube channel for incoming LIVE piano with Vocal.

https://youtube.com/channel/UCfZgIIQ_P_iHfdHlQCF9tqA

God bless you and take care

Platinum Supporter until November 30 2022

Originally Posted by ScrubNinja
I’m unsure if I should just bite the bullet and by a brand new piano or give the 1993 Falcone a chance then trade up in a few years. Im having them all looked over by a technician.
Just curious - is the 7'4" 1993 American built Falcone the one being sold by the Portland Piano Company?

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
S
OP Offline
S
Thanks for you input everyone. I don’t remember the price for an ebony SK-3, but I was able to get the SK-3 down to about $65k (with trade in.) I know it’s still more expensive but the look of it is spectacular.

And yes, the Falcone is at PPC! I take you have been there recently. It’s a great store.

C
C
Thanks for you input everyone. I don’t remember the price for an ebony SK-3, but I was able to get the SK-3 down to about $65k (with trade in.) I know it’s still more expensive but the look of it is spectacular.

And yes, the Falcone is at PPC! I take you have been there recently. It’s a great store.

I was wondering if you were talking about that same Falcone too. I've played that one, it's really nice!

Nope - just found it online after you gave the specifics in your initial post. I don't know much about the original Falcone brand so did a little research. I'd love to try one. The only piano store I've been to in Portland is Classic Pianos - and that was many years ago.

Mason and Hamlin BB - 91640
Kawai K-500 Upright
Kawai CA-65 Digital
Korg SP-100 Stage Piano
YouTube channel - http://www.youtube.com/user/pianophilo
Cassia #3176361 12/09/21 09:29 PM
S
OP Offline
S
It’s a beautiful piano ! The action and tone are lovely. It’s definitely a good find.

S
OP Offline
S
I’ve yet to go to Classic pianos. They have a shop in Bellevue, WA also but I haven’t been yet.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Oh, I also played that Falcone (I was with Cassia)! It was a nice piano, though I thought it needs to be voiced down in the treble.

Definitely check out Classic in Bellevue before you make any decisions. Unfortunately the amazing tech who used to manage the store isn't there anymore. The pianos there used to be prepped exceptionally well under his care.

Sounds like Portland Piano sold their SK7? Even if you don't order one, can they let you know when they get the next one in?

If I were you I'd wait to buy the piano that you fall in love with when you sit down to play. Keep playing lots of pianos! And (this is my pet peeve) tell the piano salespeople to put a rug under their premium pianos when you're trying them out. Portland Piano used to have a showroom close to me and it was a completely different experience in the carpeted room, otherwise there are sound reflections all over the place that affect your sense of touch!

2001 Petrof 125 -> 2002 Petrof IV -> 1999 Bösendorfer 225
S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
ScrubNinja - do you currently have an instrument, and if so, what do you have?
To me, the answer to your question is that it depends on a lot of things, including your budget, how long you are willing to wait for an instrument and how much you like the different pianos. If you currently have an instrument that meets your needs, you may want to wait until you have saved for your dream sk7 AND one is available for you to try out AND you like it. If you don’t have an instrument or you’re inclined to upgrade as quickly as possible, I think it depends on a lot of personal things including how much money you want to spend, how much you like the different instruments relative to each other, and the likelihood that you will indeed upgrade the instrument at some point.

twocats #3176379 12/09/21 11:09 PM
S
OP Offline
S
Twocats- small world! I’m going back down to Portland this weekend to try them all again so I’ll pay special attention to the treble to see what you mean. They also got a 2000 Model B I would like to try. Thanks for the advice about eh carpet too! They did offer to order the SK-7 then deliver that and the SK-6 to my house so I could compare and decide. Very thoughtful.

Sgisela- I currently have a 2008 or 2009 Sejung Falcone 5’ baby grand. It has its charms and a decent bass for the size, but it’s having some issues and overall I’m ready for a better quality instrument, especially in the action. I also am fortunate enough to have a space to comfortably fit a 7’6” piano in so I might as well take advantage.

I’m kind of rushing myself a bit because I plan on taking advantage of the holiday savings/interest savings, but we’ll see!

S
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
S
I don't understand. Why wouldn't you just fly to try an SK7? The cost of the flight is small compared to the cost of the piano. I live in Sydney and had to fly to Melbourne twice to buy my S7X. Once to try and the second time to choose between two.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
Have fun playing this weekend! I'd go to the three major stores (Classic, PPC, Michelle's) while you're here. Michelle's has a nice August Förster on the floor.

It may also be worth going to Pianos Now in Beaverton to play their Baldwin SF10. I LOVED that piano. Like, so much that if I didn't have a Bösendorfer 225 in my living room I would have bought it. I think it's from the 80's. Light touch, smooth as butter. And I love the sound. I don't know if it's what you're looking for but it's only $17K, so if you fall in love with it you'd save a lot of money!

One issue with buying the Falcone if you plan to upgrade is that it might be difficult to sell due to name recognition. So just keep that in mind!

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Check out the AF at Michelle's, I think you will like.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
S
OP Offline
S
TwoCats- I just found videos of that Baldwin on Piano Now’s website. It sounds lovely. I will definitely have to check it out! Thanks for the tip. And I’ll try to make it to all of the stores but I’ll see if my husband is up to all that piano shopping. 😄

Learux- thanks for the suggestion! I’ve never played an AF before so if I make it to Michelle’s I’ll definitely give it a try.

T
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
T
You're welcome! I'm looking forward to seeing what you think of the Baldwin!

S
OP Offline
S
In regards to the Falcone being difficult to resell, my plan is to take advantage of the 100% trade up value through Portland Piano Company when I’m ready for a newer piano. Unless there’s something in the fine print that would make that less appealing I suppose.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Gombessa, Piano World, platuser 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!
Piano World Has Been Sold!
--------------------
Forums RULES, Terms of Service & HELP
(updated 06/06/2022)
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
(ad)
(ad)
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Country style lessons
by Stephen_James - 04/16/24 06:04 AM
How Much to Sell For?
by TexasMom1 - 04/15/24 10:23 PM
Song lyrics have become simpler and more repetitive
by FrankCox - 04/15/24 07:42 PM
New bass strings sound tubby
by Emery Wang - 04/15/24 06:54 PM
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics223,385
Posts3,349,194
Members111,631
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations |

Advertise on Piano World
| Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map

Copyright © VerticalScope Inc. All Rights Reserved.
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission