2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
36 members (Amelia Squires, Dariusz D, blueviewlaguna., clothearednincompo, Boboulus, CentauriB, AprilE, An Old Square, 8 invisible), 851 guests, and 504 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
OP Offline
C
Hi, I have recently purchased a Casiotone CT-S1, mainly because I needed a keyboard which I can travel with. People in forums everywhere have been speaking about this new keyboard, mainly praising it for its fantastic piano sound.

However, I have most recently played on a Yamaha keyboard with a decent piano sound, and I absolutely do not like the sound of the Casiotone acoustic piano - it sounds extremely digital and nothing like a piano.. I honestly don't understand the hype around it.. I'm a beginner and yet it makes me miss my Yamaha. I mainly play on the acoustic piano function, as I am pretty serious about learning the piano.

I just ordered a sustain pedal hoping it will give the piano a bit of a boost, but in addition to that, is there any way of improving the Casiotone piano sound, either through in-built technology (which I assume is quite limited on a $200 keyboard), or through an external speaker? I was thinking of purchasing myself a simple Marshall Acton speaker to give a simple external speaker a go. Needs to be portable as I will be traveling by plane quite frequently.

Would love some advice.

G
Online Content
G
IMHO there is only one way for improving the sound of this device: use a VST

If you don't want to have an additional device when traveling, Ravenscroft 275 for iOS could be an option...
I don't know if you will have latency issues using Bluetooth MIDI, but it may be possible to have a wired connection using lighting-to-usb adapter...

keep calm and play the piano :-)
S
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
S
Use headphones? An external speaker does help as well.

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
The iOS acoustic pianos are not significantly better than the CT-S1 pianos - even thru a larger speaker. VSTs on a laptop would be better. But if the piano sounds really bugs you, perhaps the Yamaha sounds would be a better fit.

We are the music makers,
And we are the dreamers of dreams.
C
6000 Post Club Member
6000 Post Club Member
C
. . . However, I have most recently played on a Yamaha keyboard with a decent piano sound, and I absolutely do not like the sound of the Casiotone acoustic piano - it sounds extremely digital and nothing like a piano..

. . . Which model Yamaha was that? It would give a benchmark for what you consider "decent piano sound".

It's very difficult to get decent piano sound from small, light loudspeakers and amps -- and that's what you have, in the CT-S1. I haven't heard one, and I can't judge the quality of the built-in piano samples:

. . . I suspect the reviewers who are enthusiastic about the sound, are listening to it using headphones or outboard loudspeakers.

So, _within the limits of the built-in piano sounds_, your alternatives are:

(a) The amps are only 2.5 watts per channel. The loudspeakers are 5" (according to specs), but the housing of the CT-S1 doesn't have enough volume to get good bass response from them.

There's a headphone jack on the CT-S1. A set of good headphones (or good earbuds -- Shure SE215's or similar) would give _much_ better sound than the built-in amps and loudspeakers.

(b) It's hard to find small, light loudspeakers that will do justice to piano sounds. I can't find any "Acton" loudspeakers. Roland makes several small amps in the "Cube" series. The CM-30 might do what you want. It's 12 pounds, which isn't super-light.

I've been impressed by the 3" Mackie CR3-x "studio monitors" -- they produce good sound for their size, weight (8 pounds per pair) and price. They have no grille over the speaker cone, and you'd have to fix that, for travel.

If the Marshall you're looking at is a "guitar amp", it will probably have a limited frequency range. That may be OK for you.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
J
J
I note that the Casio has both USB midi and an Audio In port.
This means it would be a simple setup to play virtual instruments from say an iPad. You would need a camera connection kit from apple if your iPad has lightning port (probably not needed if you have a new iPad with USB3), a USB cable and a cord from the headphone jack back to the Audio In (or just plug headphones into the iPad if you prefer).
As far as sound source I would recommend the Pure Piano app (some prefer Ravenscroft but not me) or even one of the free pianos from my website https://sites.google.com/site/soundfonts4u/ which includes your beloved Yamaha Grand (you need an app called bs-16i to host it).

Last edited by Jonky Ponky; 12/07/21 02:45 PM.
N
N
To Charline -- which Yamaha are we talking about? Definitely depends on your perspective -- newer yamahas have a decent sound engine but I'd definitely pick the CT-S1 over many of them for the pure piano sound. Do you feel the same way over headphones?

If you're picky about sound though, I agree that you might not be fully satisfied unless you go the VST route.

Originally Posted by Groove On
The iOS acoustic pianos are not significantly better than the CT-S1 pianos - even thru a larger speaker. VSTs on a laptop would be better. But if the piano sounds really bugs you, perhaps the Yamaha sounds would be a better fit.

This is is simply not true in the case of the Ravenscroft. It uses the exact same samples as the desktop version, with the same exact number of velocity layers and identical scripting except for half pedaling. The only difference in sound is that it only includes one mic position, and no una corda/mute samples. But release samples and repetition samples, sympathetic resonances, etc are all there. I've used both versions and frequently used the iOS version on the go -- it's virtually indistinguishable when the settings are matched.

_
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
_
> ... I absolutely do not like the sound of the Casiotone acoustic piano - it sounds extremely digital and nothing like a piano.. I honestly don't understand the hype around it.. I'm a beginner and yet it makes me miss my Yamaha.

I think reviewers are very forgiving to portables like this. Differences in this range are wildly bigger than differences among DPs in the $2k range, so it is wise to try others like the NP12, Go:keys etc. Preferences are very subjective.

> is there any way of improving the Casiotone piano sound, either through in-built technology (which I assume is quite limited on a $200 keyboard), or through an external speaker? I was thinking of purchasing myself a simple Marshall Acton speaker to give a simple external speaker a go. Needs to be portable as I will be traveling by plane quite frequently.

iLoud Micro monitors get some praise in this range, in comparison to slab built-in speakers of course.

You can try Pianoteq demo, if you like it it can be installed on a Pi 400 which is fairly compact (not sure how compact suitable digital audio interfaces are).

E
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
E
not legit
Its like a AI spam bot covers all the bases to get everyone tied in knots

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
CM Repertoire Suggestions
by iloveminis - 01/24/22 11:00 PM
Help needed for Chopin Raindrop Prelude
by JpnGrl2021 - 01/24/22 09:01 PM
Fast (? Alberti) base
by Moo :) - 01/24/22 07:29 PM
Need advice on repertoire for a solo concert
by xtype10 - 01/24/22 02:44 PM
The secondhand market in the UK
by AndyG123 - 01/24/22 08:58 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,332
Posts3,163,727
Members104,151
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission