2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
75 members (Charles Cohen, anotherscott, Blague, accordeur, butchkoch, Bostonmoores, 36251, 17 invisible), 1,188 guests, and 465 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
OP Offline
R
Hello friends,
It's been a really long while since I posted here… I had to take a huge break from piano learning just as I'd started… But I'm back, and I'm glad to see the forum is as active as ever!

I was wondering whether any of you have experienced playing the CASIO CDP-S100…
I currently have a Roland FP 30 that I love. The trouble is that I now spend 30-40% of my time not in my flat, and keep travelling down south every few weeks for 2-3 weeks at a time. The Roland is just not light and portable enough for me to take it with me every time.

So I'm considering buying a second piano for the house down south. Problem: the house is not mine (otherwise I would consider buying my first acoustic!), and I'm not sure how many months this arrangement will go on for (perhaps another 6 months, perhaps another 2 years…). So I thought I should buy something rather cheap, and stumbled upon the CASIO CDP-S100 BK which is about 350 euros.

My questions are:
- Is the feeling of the weighted keys even remotely good?
- Is it really portable? (In case I don't manage to sell it when I'm done with it and need to take it to a more populated area to sell it at the end.)

Bonus question:
Should I just forget all about it, and fork out for another Roland FP-30 and be done with it?

Thanks to all smile

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Hello,

@RosemaryGirl,

Originally Posted by RosemaryGirl
Bonus question:
Should I just forget all about it, and fork out for another Roland FP-30 and be done with it?

Thanks to all smile

While reading your question, this is the answer that formed in my mind, glad that you gave this advice to yourself already 😄.

In my hunt for a digital piano, a little over a year ago, the CDP-S100 was one of the ones I tried extensively at home. Long story short, action as well as soundwise you'll not love it, if the FP30 is what you like and are used to.

I ended up with an FP-10 because I solely use it as a piano MIDI controller, and thus didn't need the extras of the FP-30 while the actions are the same.

I'd say buy yourself an FP-30X which is a good package for the money, and maybe take your current FP-30 down south.

Hope this helps!

Cheers and happy playing,

HZ

A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
My questions are:
- Is the feeling of the weighted keys even remotely good?
- Is it really portable?
The keys are, at a minimum, "remotely good" -- it is at least a hammer action, and better for piano than tons of non-hammer actions out there. They get stiffer toward the rear, and depending on where you hit them, you may be bothered by a difference between the black and white keys (especially, it seems, if you are an opinionated classically trained pianist ;-) ). So some people complain about its keys, while others are fine with them. I was fine with it in a store, but I played it only briefly, and don't play much classical. There are certainly some vocal critics here, but there are also plenty of folks here who have bought it (or other models with similar actions) and are quite happy with them.

How portable it is is something you can determine for yourself from its specs (weight and dimensions). Whether something of its size and weight is cumbersome or a cinch to move depends on you. That is, once you know the dimensions, the further answer to "is it really portable" can vary with things like, would you ever need to walk distances with it, bike with it, take it on mass transit, freuqnetly carry it up and down stairs? Or will it mostly be stationery and only be moved via car? Are you 4'10" and 90 lbs or 5'10" and 180? Your circumstances and muscles will determine how portable something its size and weight is.

If you could manage without the full 88 keys, you could also look at the Yamaha P-121, which is even a hair lighter, and smaller in length. The P-121 and the small Casios like the CDP-S100 are the most portable hammer actions you'll find.

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by HZPiano
In my hunt for a digital piano, a little over a year ago, the CDP-S100 was one of the ones I tried extensively at home. Long story short, action as well as soundwise you'll not love it, if the FP30 is what you like and are used to.

I ended up with an FP-10 because I solely use it as a piano MIDI controller, and thus didn't need the extras of the FP-30 while the actions are the same.

I'd say buy yourself an FP-30X which is a good package for the money, and maybe take your current FP-30 down south.

HZ

Thank you, @HZpiano,

What you're saying makes me think I might regret my buy indeed…
However, I only ever use the Roland to play it using the metronome, and never use any of the extras, so do you think that an FP-10 might be enough then? The other thing being, I can't take my current one down south, I have to have the new one delivered there.
Thanks! smile

H
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
H
Thank you, @HZpiano,

do you think that an FP-10 might be enough then?

It depends on your requirements of course.

-> The FP-10 is the slimmest and lightest of the FP- series, which may be an advantage to you.

-> The FP30-X may have a better piano sound, yet for casual practise the FP-10's isn't bad. It is basic to my ears but still a lot better than the Casio's, plus it is somewhat tweakable through Roland's bluetooth apps. In case you have noticed that the FP-30 produces a constant hiss through its speakers -- the FP-10 is neater and silent in that regard. I believe the FP-30X is low noise as well.

-> If you are practising with more advanced pedaling, the FP30X's pedal interface is continuous, where the FP-10's only distinguishes up, down, and one about-middle position. Also, it accepts only a sustain pedal, so not a three-pedal unit.

I'm perfectly happy with the FP-10, sound and pedaling are generated and handled separately by a PC with piano software, which in my case was what I was after to begin with.

Cheers and happy decision making,

HZ

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by anotherscott
[quote=RosemaryGirl]

How portable it is is something you can determine for yourself from its specs (weight and dimensions). Whether something of its size and weight is cumbersome or a cinch to move depends on you. That is, once you know the dimensions, the further answer to "is it really portable" can vary with things like, would you ever need to walk distances with it, bike with it, take it on mass transit, freuqnetly carry it up and down stairs? Or will it mostly be stationery and only be moved via car? Are you 4'10" and 90 lbs or 5'10" and 180? Your circumstances and muscles will determine how portable something its size and weight is.

Very good point! I'm small, petite and travel by train a lot, so really nothing will be portable enough for me, I guess… Hence why HZpiano is making me reconsider and wonder whether I should just buy another Roland and hope I can sell it back when I need to. Thanks!

If it's really all about portability I'd check the respective weights. While I can carry my FP-10 about it's not something I'd want to do on a regular basis. But if the Casio is considerably less (like 10lb/4Kg less or more) it might "win" as being portable enough to justify any other compromise it might impose. (I'm tempted to mention the leather jacketed one but at the end of the day that's just one person's opinion)

Quick Google...

FP-30 14. 1 Kg
FP-10 12.5 Kg
S100 10.5 Kg

So maybe the Casio's weight saving does justify things?

R
OP Offline
R
Thanks for all your input!

I might try and see if I can find a shop where I might be able to touch them and see how they feel… Portability would be good, but as I'm small, even at 10kg, I'm unlikely to be able to carry it when I travel around for just a few days…

Hopefully I'll find an answer in the next week or so before I have to travel down again!

R
OP Offline
R
Turns out my husband is vetoing the purchase of a second Roland FP because "he would be the one lugging it halfway across the country all the time", so I'm back to the drawing board and probably on the market for a 5kg max piano that I can really travel with on my own… Will now browse the forum for that!

D
D
Turns out my husband is vetoing the purchase of a second Roland FP because "he would be the one lugging it halfway across the country all the time", so I'm back to the drawing board and probably on the market for a 5kg max piano that I can really travel with on my own… Will now browse the forum for that!

I think there is a bit of misunderstanding. By buying another Roland FP (a more up-to-date one such as the FP30X), you'd have to take your current one, the FP30, and have your husband lug it across the country, once. Then leave it at that other house, while using the new one, FP30X, in the main home. And when the arrangement with the second house ends, either sell the old FP30 there or bring it back, again, once, and sell it in your main area if it is easier to sell there.

Complete beginner, started 12/2020 with Yamaha PSR-E373. I used to play guitar some 40 years ago and recall some music theory, sheet music reading. Making steady progress with the Faber's Adult All-in-One method books and complements.

Yamaha P-515 (white)
A
A
Take a look at:
1. Numa Compact 2X - 7kg - 88 keys, OK action
2. Kurzweil SP6-7 - 8kg - 76 keys, action a bit better than Numa
3. Dexibell S1 - 8,5kg - 68 keys, action more synthy (but still weighted), best sounding from the pack and the most compact (weight isn't everything) - you can take it as a backpack

None of the 88 keys piano will be portable. The weight isn't the main factor in portability - the size is. I'm 6'2, 200lbs guy and FP10 is light as a feather for me, but still I get irritated when I have to carry it upstairs, to the elevator etc. I once travelled with it by train - terrible experience. It's just too long.

Ars non habet osorem nisi ignorantem
A
A
Hi RosemaryGirl. Just like DPPianoPhil above, I initially got the impression that you needed a second piano for your new southern house, ranging between 6 and 24 month. But during that period stationary. In which case I agree with DPPianoPhil on his solution.

But if, on the other hand, you're planning on bringing the piano with you on your trips to and from wherever you're going, I guess there's only one serious alternative: the Casio CT-S1.

This subject has to some degree been ventilated in other threads. This for instance: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3173332/1.html although the OP of that thread (me) wasn't as dependent on super-light-weight, since the piano in that case would be transported by car.

Best of luck in your search!

Last edited by Ajax69; 12/05/21 05:39 PM.

Peter
--------------------------------
Yamaha U1 / Kawai CS11 / Kawai MP-11SE / Kawai MP-7SE / Hammond XK-3c / Vox Continental 73
Working on: PCA Beginner Course and
Tim Richards - Improvising Blues Piano
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
Save up for the Kawai ES110 $699, 26 lbs with built in speakers and a superb action.

Harry Likas was the Technical Editor of Mark Levine's The Jazz Theory Book and helped develop The Jazz Piano Book. Studied with Mark Levine 1985-89 and Barry Harris 1995-99
A
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
A
Originally Posted by AlphaBravoCharlie
2. Kurzweil SP6-7 - 8kg - 76 keys, action a bit better than Numa
3. Dexibell S1 - 8,5kg - 68 keys, action more synthy (but still weighted), best sounding from the pack and the most compact (weight isn't everything)
Another lightweight non-hammer board with an action that is still better than most for piano would be the Vox Continental, available in 61 and 73.
But the problem with all of these is that they're nowhere near the original 350 euro budget!

C
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
C
. . .
But the problem with all of these is that they're nowhere near the original 350 euro budget!

A CT-S1 weighs 4.5 kg (10 pounds), is 37" long, and costs $200 US. That buys you 61 touch-sensitive keys, and a "sustain pedal" input jack, in an affordable, easy-to-carry package.

It beats the "silent keyboards" our forefathers used.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by DPPianoPhil

I think there is a bit of misunderstanding. By buying another Roland FP (a more up-to-date one such as the FP30X), you'd have to take your current one, the FP30, and have your husband lug it across the country, once. Then leave it at that other house, while using the new one, FP30X, in the main home. And when the arrangement with the second house ends, either sell the old FP30 there or bring it back, again, once, and sell it in your main area if it is easier to sell there.

Ah… It's true that your analysis would be perfectly correct, DPPianoPhil, if you had known that my husband is currently in the south, and I'm up north! And he's got our car, so I would have to lug the old FP-30 down there myself by train, which is impossible.

Also, my husband is refusing to lug anything even ONCE cry (I refrained from reminding him that he was the one who put me off taking up the clarinet.) I didn't mention in the initial post (as I thought it was complicated enough) that although we might use that house down south for 2 years, we have to vacate it fully every summer, so we'd have to take the piano away in June and back there in September…

So, for all these reasons, and also the fact that we will spend the summer abroad – and last time this happened, I was also without my Roland for several weeks – I think the whole Casio CT-S1 might be worth looking at!

But thank you for your clarification! My life does sometimes feel like a game of Tetris…

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Ajax69
Hi RosemaryGirl. Just like DPPianoPhil above, I initially got the impression that you needed a second piano for your new southern house, ranging between 6 and 24 month. But during that period stationary. In which case I agree with DPPianoPhil on his solution.

But if, on the other hand, you're planning on bringing the piano with you on your trips to and from wherever you're going, I guess there's only one serious alternative: the Casio CT-S1.

This subject has to some degree been ventilated in other threads. This for instance: http://forum.pianoworld.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/3173332/1.html although the OP of that thread (me) wasn't as dependent on super-light-weight, since the piano in that case would be transported by car.

Best of luck in your search!

Thank you, Ajax69,

Yes! I did hijack your thread and found answers there, indeed! smile I will be looking at small portable pianos in the shop on Wednesday… We shall see what happens!

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by RinTin
Save up for the Kawai ES110 $699, 26 lbs with built in speakers and a superb action.

Ah… Sadly, RinTin, I remember being very excited about trying an ES110 when I first purchased a piano 2-3 years ago, and being really disappointed once I laid my hands on one in the shop! It might have been also that it was one of those earlier ones with huge gaps between the keys, but it didn't do it for me at all… It's also as heavy as the Roland, which I prefer… So, all in all, not the one for me, but I'm glad to see it does it for you!

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by Charles Cohen
. . .

A CT-S1 weighs 4.5 kg (10 pounds), is 37" long, and costs $200 US. That buys you 61 touch-sensitive keys, and a "sustain pedal" input jack, in an affordable, easy-to-carry package.

It beats the "silent keyboards" our forefathers used.

You're right, anotherscott and Charles Cohen, we're veering further and further from the very small budget required by the CT-S1! But the size and portability are really what drew me in, as I will probably have to take trains with it, and I'm 5'3 myself. Bearing in mind I even half-considered a roll-up at one point, I think the Casio should be better! laugh

C
6000 Post Club Member
Online Content
6000 Post Club Member
C
_Anything_ is better than a roll-up piano!<g>

I'm going to have to visit a store, and plug my earbuds into a CT-S1, and hear it for myself. I assume that the built-in amps and speakers are inadequate.

. Charles
---------------------------
PX-350 / microKorg XL+ / Pianoteq
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
ATX4/SH2 vs. AURES2/TA2
by Senahoi - 01/20/22 05:16 AM
Advice for an advanced beginner
by Ring Slinger - 01/20/22 04:16 AM
True tutorials of pieces (free)
by Animisha - 01/20/22 03:29 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
What's Hot!!

Free Piano Lovers Newsletter is out now!
Piano News 2021 - 2022!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,254
Posts3,162,426
Members104,088
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission