2022 our 25th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
29 members (brennbaer, Calavera, Deltajockey, Charles Cohen, dima5222, 6 invisible), 618 guests, and 266 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
X
Xam Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Happy Holidays to all!!

I’m looking for recommendations for cross country piano movers. I’ll be moving in 2022 from the Midwest, St. Louis, MO. to Laguna Hills area, CA ., USA..I have a Mason Hamlin model A, 5’8”..1915!

Need to find a trusted, reputable mover. If you can please recommend, from actual experience, or similar, a few companies I can contact would be a big help Thx!!

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
These guys seem ok, but you might have to do some homework.

https://www.yelp.com/biz/modern-piano-moving-sullivan

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
Walter moved mine from Oregon to Texas. No issues. That handed it off to a local mover for the final leg.
https://walterpianotransport.com/

D
D
Schafer Bros Piano Movers in Southern California has always been a reputable piano mover. I’ve used them twice.

Walter is ok but they did manage to damage our piano by improperly strapping it. The case was all scratched up.

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
There aren't many choices when it comes to long-distance moves.

Definitely don't trust regular household movers to move a grand piano.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
I've used Keyboard Carriage many times and they always did a good job for me. I even made a video once, and this particular guy was impressive.

Their website:
http://keyboardcarriage.com/

-chris

Last edited by Chernobieff Piano; 12/05/21 07:07 PM.

"Where TONE is Key, and Mammoths are not extinct."

Youtube https://tinyurl.com/5aw83b73

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Modern Piano highly messed up my 2005 Steinway D- case and action- in 2006.

It was removed from Southwestern Community College in Creston, Ia., taken to their hub facility in Georgia and it took a month to get it out here.

Proceed with extreme caution if you decide to use them.

I've heard all good things about Keyboard Carriage.

X
Xam Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Thx guys, I’ll certainly heed all advice given here, and do some homework. I imagine it will be a 2-4 day trip, and I’m worried about climate control on the soundboard , while the piano is being hauled.

Good news is the Southern California climate is much more piano friendly compared to my current Missouri digs. This piano really sounds different say around 62 to 68 degrees then 70 degrees and above. Much to my liking when cooler. I have two damp chaser rods installed as well that help. So it’s next resting spot will be more suited to its peak sound, but it’s the getting there that will keep me on edge.

Thx again, and please anymore are welcome.

M
M
I think you're going to hear reports of problems with pretty much every mover out there. I've used Modern twice and had no problem with them—once for my M&H A and once for my irreplaceable antique Henry F. Miller pedal piano. (I was a nervous wreck for a full month on both occasions, but the moves were entirely uneventful.) Maybe since you're local to you they would be willing to forego the warehouse-transfer and pick up from you directly on their way west when they're making a run in that direction. One thing about them I will say is that I don't think i ever really got it across to the woman who took my phone calls is that my HFM pedal upright really is a rare antique—you know, "Everybody's old, ornate upright is a rare antique".

1932 Mason & Hamlin A9
1877 Blüthner 185 cm Patent Aliquot grand
1883 Henry F. Miller pedal upright
Edward L. Kottick double-fretted clavichord
Lyndon Taylor double-fretted clavichord

S
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
S
Xam, I don’t know much about these issues, but I would definitely spend plenty of time talking to the movers about the moving company’s liability coverage/insurance of the instrument. I believe there are also separate policies you can purchase that specifically cover moving. I would be curious if anyone here has explored these kinds of policies and what their thoughts are about them.
Hopefully, the move goes smoothly and there is no need to file any claims. But I think it’s good to know what your options are and to know what you will do if there is a big problem.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Originally Posted by Xam
I imagine it will be a 2-4 day trip, and I’m worried about climate control on the soundboard , while the piano is being hauled.

I've never done a long distance move, but what I understand about them is that they take quite a while. They don't just pick up at point A, drive to point B. and unload. Generally you need a local pick up and drop off at each end, to move the piano to some place with a loading dock. And then they also consolidate freight going in the same direction, to maximize their efforts, and that can take some time.

Originally Posted by Xam
Good news is the Southern California climate is much more piano friendly compared to my current Missouri digs.

I meant to mention this earlier. SoCal's climate is much less severe than St. Louis. thumb

Laguna Hills/Canyon/Niguel/etc is a nice area! But I'm curious what's got you going that way, because California's net migration is negative these days. Most people are moving away.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

Originally Posted by Retsacnal
I've never done a long distance move, but what I understand about them is that they take quite a while. They don't just pick up at point A, drive to point B. and unload. Generally you need a local pick up and drop off at each end, to move the piano to some place with a loading dock. And then they also consolidate freight going in the same direction, to maximize their efforts, and that can take some time.

It depends on the carrier, but door-to-door service would be very expensive. Walter, for example, will wait until one of their semi-trucks is coming to your region. Then they would hire a local piano mover to come to your house (and others in the region) picking up pianos in a small truck. The small truck meets the semi-tractor at the regional location (e.g. Dallas for Walter) and loads it up. The semi-truck wanders the country for days to weeks and eventually returns to the Walter warehouse (in Indiana). Your piano is unloaded there. The next time a semi-truck heads to the new region, your piano is loaded up and sent that direction. It is transferred to a small truck with a local piano mover at some stage, then delivered to your home. The whole process can take 2-3 months depending on the end points and time of year. It can be quite a few weeks before your piano is picked up and Walter can not provide a very accurate estimate of when this will occur.

Get quotes from Walter, Modern and Carrington. Walter is generally quite a bit cheaper.

Last edited by oldMH; 12/06/21 11:06 AM.
D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
I'll add one more that I've posted about in the past on these type of threads. Jay Shields. He's a bit unorthodox in that he has no website or email. But in 2006 he moved my Yamaha S6 up to Vancouver Island in Canada. The buyer contacted me a week later saying it arrived in perfect shape and thanked me for Jay's contact. It was a tricky move because a ferry was involved.

I gave his contact to a friend in Houston that wanted a small grand that had been in the family moved from upstate NY to Houston. I believe Jay has a small network of independent solo movers in different areas of the country he works with. Again the piano arrived at my friend's home in Texas in exactly the condition it was in NY. So there was a hand off involved.

I noticed he has a few recent negative reviews on yelp, so I don't know what's up with that. But two are from what appears to be a husband and wife.

It did take him time to get back with me after I first contacted him. But once he did, if I or the buyer had a question, he responded within the day.

He lives up in Lancaster, which is about 75 miles North of LA city.

Jay Shields
43871 Ryckebosch Ln.
Lancaster, CA 93535
661-209-4792

X
Xam Offline OP
OP Offline
X
Hey Retsecnal, my move is a huge cash out, many details but awesome life change move for my wife and I.
Came as a surprise just weeks ago. So my day might sound like this, coffee shop, beach(gonna learn to surf at 65yo!), a nice piano session watch sunset! One my sons lives there too.

I’m just worried about this move. I’m even having thoughts on selling my piano so it’s stays local and is not subject to a cross country move. Of course, then I’m on the hunt again, but with considerably more skin in the game. Idk as I’m really attached to this piano, so I’m gonna try hard to find a mover most likely.

Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
Xam
Many have moved pianos across country, and also overseas. You can find a mover! The move will like encompass a longer time than you initially anticipated.

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
D
D
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
Originally Posted by Xam
I imagine it will be a 2-4 day trip, and I’m worried about climate control on the soundboard , while the piano is being hauled.

Originally Posted by Xam
Good news is the Southern California climate is much more piano friendly compared to my current Missouri digs.

I meant to mention this earlier. SoCal's climate is much less severe than St. Louis. thumb

Laguna Hills/Canyon/Niguel/etc is a nice area! But I'm curious what's got you going that way, because California's net migration is negative these days. Most people are moving away.

Actually, most people are not moving away from California - that is definitely fake news
https://abc7.com/california-exodus-university-of-moving-out-state/10869108/

D
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
D
Take my word for it, LA is more crowded then ever. Freeways are jammed seven days a week at 2 or 3 PM. Surface streets are gridlocked by 5 PM.

You'd think they were giving away free stuff at the malls they are so crowded around here.

My wife and I both being retired or semi, we rarely have to venture outside our local area of Glendale/La Canada/ Pasadena or Burbank.

It's crowded but we'll never leave Ca.. We're coming up on 43 years here. We left our hometown of STL on Jan.1st 1979 and never looked back.

I wouldn't mind a slower pace and less density of LA County proper and go out to maybe Ventura, or if I won the lottery, Santa Barbara or Pacific Grove.

L
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
L
Would be very tempting to have local piano movers wrap it up and help you put it in a UHaul 10ft Moving Truck.

Drive the piano yourself and have a local piano shop help you unload.

Biggest issue might be the truck not having a ramp.

The 15 ft truck has a loading ramp.

Did a quick quote MO to CA about $2300.

Gas plus local movers you are looking about $3200.

Last edited by Learux; 12/06/21 04:04 PM.

When you play, never mind who listens to you. R.Schumann.

Casio GP-400

2006 August Förster 215
M
2000 Post Club Member
2000 Post Club Member
M
We have a horse trailer with a ramp, if I ever had to move my piano I'd hire the local piano store to come load it and drive it myself. You could buy a used trailer and sell it when you're done, wouldn't be out much money.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
Piano Buyer - Read the Articles, Explore the website
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Harpsichord-like keyboard/controller?
by BMKE - 05/27/22 09:49 PM
Noisy keybed
by LarryShone - 05/27/22 06:56 PM
Undamped last octave question
by Gombessa - 05/27/22 04:08 PM
Petrof P125 double-strike (bobble) theory
by heavypiano - 05/27/22 03:17 PM
Yamaha DGX 670 - your favorite layered sounds?
by witor - 05/27/22 01:45 PM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums43
Topics213,269
Posts3,195,003
Members105,384
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission