2017 was our 20th year online!

Welcome to the Piano World Piano Forums
Over 3 million posts about pianos, digital pianos, and all types of keyboard instruments.
Over 100,000 members from around the world.
Join the World's Largest Community of Piano Lovers (it's free)
It's Fun to Play the Piano ... Please Pass It On!

Shop our online store for music lovers
SEARCH
Piano Forums & Piano World
(ad)
Best of Piano Buyer
 Best of Piano Buyer
(ad)
Advanced Piano Tricks
Advanced Piano Tricks
(ad)
Pianoteq
Steinway Spiro Layering
(ad)
Wessell Nickel & Gross
PianoForAll
Who's Online Now
105 members (bobrunyan, accordeur, An Old Square, Bill McClellan, bsalad, BrumBrum, BravoRomeo, 22 invisible), 1,247 guests, and 420 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
(ad)
Estonia Pianos
Estonia Pianos
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Platinum Subscriber
Yikes! 10000 Post Club Member
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Hi all,

On Thanksgiving Day we had sponsored a float in Philadelphia's Thanksgiving Day parade. When we committed to this, we were told it would be the "Sound of Music" float and the artist would be a major artist, but they hadn't yet confirmed who it would be.

We were not expecting Kool and the Gang. In fact, they were not part of the original discussions. I have to say, I am happy to sponsor Kool and the Gang, even if they aren't very "piano-centric".

Here is my question. Do you think it will help us sell more pianos? (Sincere question)

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
Visit one of our four locations
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Learn more about the Matchless Cunningham

Platinum Supporter until December 31, 2022
7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
Cool! Or should I say "Kool"? wink

It's hard to hear "Celebration" and not want to move! Truly a classic.

And it's always cool to see a band that still has horns! IMO

Thanks for sharing. thumb

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

M
500 Post Club Member
500 Post Club Member
M
I think what you really need is a piano balloon in the Macy's parade. Right next to Schroeder and Snoopy.

7000 Post Club Member

7000 Post Club Member
I forgot to address this:

Originally Posted by Rich Galassini
Here is my question. Do you think it will help us sell more pianos? (Sincere question)

Sponsoring something like this is naturally good exposure and publicity. But it's also a nice way to give something back to the community. It will reinforce your position as not only a leader in the community but an active member as well. In other words, it will reinforce your reputation and standing in the community.

It may not directly help you sell more pianos, but I think it will indirectly. In other words, people probably didn't run straight to your store after the parade, but when the time comes that someone in Philly is considering a piano, this sort of community support is likely to lead them to your door.

How to Upload Pictures
“If it sounds good, it IS good.” ― Duke Ellington!

This is great! I doubt there has ever been another piano float for a long time and maybe never. If I remember correctly, a long time ago Steinway had a boat with their name on it that went to their village across the river from Manhattan.

Platinum Subscriber
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Retsacnal
It may not directly help you sell more pianos, but I think it will indirectly. In other words, people probably didn't run straight to your store after the parade, but when the time comes that someone in Philly is considering a piano, this sort of community support is likely to lead them to your door.

I hope not, because we weren't there! wink

Originally Posted by pianoloverus
This is great! I doubt there has ever been another piano float for a long time and maybe never. If I remember correctly, a long time ago Steinway had a boat with their name on it that went to their village across the river from Manhattan.

I had no idea, PLS.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
What fun! I don't know if it helps sell pianos directly, but it's good PR, and and it's music-centric even if not piano-centric, which is always good. And that's a very nice looking float!!

I'm interested in the way this all played out though. If you had wanted to, would you have been able to have more control over who was on your float?

If I were in your position, I would not be at all displeased with this year's event and having Kool and the Gang on board. But I think I would want a more piano-centric performance next year... Maybe a pop+classical mash up a la Piano Guys? Or Brooklyn Duo? Or Peter Bence? Kids playing the piano? Several kids on multiple keyboards and a few strings? Dancers with melodicas? (I'm not kidding btw).

The way to promote playing the piano is to show the audience examples of people who are not so different from the audience, and show them playing the piano or at least more piano-centric music.

BTW, a tricky part about using a pop+classical mash up is probably copyright. I don't know what kind of arrangements Piano Guys or Brooklyn Duo have, but you know they have their permissions and royalties in place, because they are covering songs that have been released in the last 5-10 years, often less.

If you had a float with kids on board, you might have gotten that 4 minute dedicated TV slot, so that's probably another trade-off. Less piano-centric, but more news-worthy.

OTOH, maybe if you could find a hometown favorite, someone from Philly, that would get you a dedicated TV spot?

I'm just thinking out loud here. Again, I think your float and the Gang were great, so congratulations!!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Platinum Subscriber
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by ShiroKuro
What fun! I don't know if it helps sell pianos directly, but it's good PR, and and it's music-centric even if not piano-centric, which is always good. And that's a very nice looking float!!

I'm interested in the way this all played out though. If you had wanted to, would you have been able to have more control over who was on your float?

If I were in your position, I would not be at all displeased with this year's event and having Kool and the Gang on board. But I think I would want a more piano-centric performance next year... Maybe a pop+classical mash up a la Piano Guys? Or Brooklyn Duo? Or Peter Bence? Kids playing the piano? Several kids on multiple keyboards and a few strings? Dancers with melodicas? (I'm not kidding btw).

The way to promote playing the piano is to show the audience examples of people who are not so different from the audience, and show them playing the piano or at least more piano-centric music.

BTW, a tricky part about using a pop+classical mash up is probably copyright. I don't know what kind of arrangements Piano Guys or Brooklyn Duo have, but you know they have their permissions and royalties in place, because they are covering songs that have been released in the last 5-10 years, often less.

If you had a float with kids on board, you might have gotten that 4 minute dedicated TV slot, so that's probably another trade-off. Less piano-centric, but more news-worthy.

OTOH, maybe if you could find a hometown favorite, someone from Philly, that would get you a dedicated TV spot?

I'm just thinking out loud here. Again, I think your float and the Gang were great, so congratulations!!

Thanks for the thoughts ShiroKuro!

In short, we might have had more control over the artist, the design of the float, etc..... but if so, it definitely would have cost a lot more $$$. (Which means I probably would not have done it at all)

I love your suggestions - especially having a local artist. To be clear, I also love having lots of kids playing, but that would get cumbersome with delivering and prepping pianos, getting kids (and their familes) onboard, etc.

I would love to promote piano in general, and if there was one downside to the float, it is that the group was not piano-centric. Who knows? I might have a second chance next year.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
M
1000 Post Club Member
1000 Post Club Member
M
This is not about floats, but if you're looking for advertising venues our local community college has an event every year I think is nice called American Grands. There's about 500 people from the community of all ages and skill level who take turns playing on 12 grand pianos with an orchestra behind them. The place I bought my piano from supplies the pianos, seems like a good way to reach a lot of people if you have a local auditorium that would support something like that.

Yamaha P90, Kawai GL-10
K
4000 Post Club Member
4000 Post Club Member
K
I think if you sell a piano from this sponsorship it might fall under the random category, but you never know. We are offered endless "opportunities" to spend money to sponsor this or that. If it is something I believe in, I may do it just to help with no expectation of any ROI.

But, I think what you did here promotes music in a general way and regardless of whether you get a deal out of it, that is a good thing.

Keith D Kerman
PianoCraft
Rebuilding & Sales - vintage and used Steinway, Mason & Hamlin
New Steingraeber, Estonia, Baldwin
www.pianocraft.net
check out www.sitkadoc.com/ and www.vimeo.com/203188875
www.youtube.com/user/pianocraftchannel

keith@pianocraft.net 888-840-5460
S
500 Post Club Member
Online Content
500 Post Club Member
S
Rich, I think that sponsoring the float is a great idea. The float looked fantastic, and Kool & gang were great. However, I agree that it would be great to have something more piano centric and also highlight local Philadelphia talent. To that end, could you propose Drew Nugent and the midnight society? You had a video of them not too long ago on your YouTube channel. They weren’t cool, they were smoking hot!
This may just reflect musical tastes so I may be totally off base, but I have to think that they’d go over well on a thanksgiving float… especially if Drew starts playing a teapot!

Hey, I like Kool & the Gang! smile

I think anytime you can associate notoriety/celebrity with a business, product or service, it is a positive thing. Lots of businesses hire well known celebrities to advertise their product or service. And, Kool & the Gang is a well known music group.

All the best!

Rick

Piano enthusiast and amateur musician: "Treat others the way you would like to be treated". Yamaha C7. YouTube Channel
7000 Post Club Member
7000 Post Club Member
Rich, it's easy for me to through ideas around, I don't have to wrangle the logistics!

And yeah, spending more money would be a trade off, then you might really start thinking about ROI stuff more carefully.

Anyway, whether you attempt to have more control, more piano-centric or not, I hope you'll be able to participate in their future parades, I'm sure the viewers loved it!

Started piano June 1999.
Proud owner of a Yamaha C2

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
Platinum Subscriber
OP Offline
Platinum Subscriber
Originally Posted by Sgisela
Rich, I think that sponsoring the float is a great idea. The float looked fantastic, and Kool & gang were great. However, I agree that it would be great to have something more piano centric and also highlight local Philadelphia talent. To that end, could you propose Drew Nugent and the midnight society? You had a video of them not too long ago on your YouTube channel. They weren’t cool, they were smoking hot!
This may just reflect musical tastes so I may be totally off base, but I have to think that they’d go over well on a thanksgiving float… especially if Drew starts playing a teapot!

Sgisela,

Drew Nugent is awesome. That is a great idea. For those who don't know Drew Nugent, check out this video. It is worth the watch.

Rich Galassini
Cunningham Piano Company
(215) 991-0834 direct
rich@cunninghampiano.com
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
Gold Subscriber
9000 Post Club Member
@Rich
Great band—- sign them up for next year’s float!!!

"Music, rich, full of feeling, not soulless, is like a crystal on which the sun falls and brings forth from it a whole rainbow" - F. Chopin
"I never dreamt with my own two hands I could touch the sky" - Sappho

It's ok to be a Work In Progress
R
R
Great video and thank you for sharing

One suggestion is making the banner more colorful and with larger, easier to read font

The entire performance has a lot of sensory stimulation, so a classic understated banner will not be noticed as much

Moderated by  Ken Knapp, Piano World 

Link Copied to Clipboard
What's Hot!!

Free Piano Lovers Newsletter is out now!
Piano News 2021 - 2022!
---------------------
My first professionally recorded piece
---------------------
Visit Maine, Meet Mr. Piano World
---------------------
Sell Your Piano on our world famous Piano Forums!
---------------------
Posting Pictures on the Forums
-------------------
Forums RULES & HELP
-------------------
ADVERTISE on Piano World
(ad)
Faust Harrison Pianos
Faust Harrison 100+ Steinway pianos
(ad)
PianoDisc

PianoDisc
(ad)
Piano Life Saver - Dampp Chaser
Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver
(ad)
Mason & Hamlin Pianos
New Topics - Multiple Forums
Behringer piano keys sticking
by sgray917 - 01/17/22 03:05 PM
What can I expect to pay for GC1 or C1X in SoCal?
by secured - 01/17/22 10:59 AM
Pro Gear vs Audiophile Gear
by Bruce In Philly - 01/17/22 10:32 AM
Where to find amateur duet partners?
by PierreSogol - 01/17/22 10:10 AM
Wanting a New DP...
by 88ivories - 01/17/22 10:01 AM
Download Sheet Music
Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads
Forum Statistics
Forums42
Topics211,184
Posts3,161,500
Members104,052
Most Online15,252
Mar 21st, 2010
Please Support Our Advertisers

Faust Harrison 100+ Steinways

Dampp Chaser Piano Life Saver

Best of Piano Buyer

PianoTeq Bechstein
Visit our online store for gifts for music lovers

Virtual Sheet Music - Classical Sheet Music Downloads

Help keep the forums up and running with a donation, any amount is appreciated!
Or by becoming a Subscribing member! Thank-you.
Donate   Subscribe

Our Piano Related Classified Ads
| Dealers | Tuners | Lessons | Movers | Restorations | Pianos For Sale | Sell Your Piano |

Advertise on Piano World
| Subscribe | Piano World | PianoSupplies.com | Advertise on Piano World |
| |Contact | Privacy | Legal | About Us | Site Map | Free Newsletter | MapleStreetMusicShop.com - Our store in Cornish Maine

© copyright 1997 - 2022 Piano World ® all rights reserved
No part of this site may be reproduced without prior written permission